Kwikfish rigging

Posted by: Fish_Slayer

Kwikfish rigging - 02/10/02 08:10 PM

I usually use a K-14 kwikfish for springers in the columbia, i was wondering how deep these dive by themselves, and if it would work if you just flatlined them? Also I tried using the jet diver/Kwikfish set-up for springers with no success, but it seemed like it was difficult to reel in the jet diver. Does it even itself out when there is a fish pulling back on it, or do you have to reel in the fish, and have the jet diver pull also?
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: Kwikfish rigging - 02/11/02 09:01 AM

FS, this year we are going to have high, cold, and more colored water in the Columbia during spring runoff when the spring 'nooks are coming up. That's a good lure choice in most conditions, but in the expected conditions they could be the 'go to' lure when wrapped with a smelt or herring filet - sardine filets are good too; even the best filet in other places. The Kwikies will make vibrations and give off a good scent and flash to get more lethargic fish (due to possible very cold water) to move and strike. The fish may also swim closer in to shore this spring in those conditions. ... On an outgoing tide, using thin superbraid mainline, the 14 will dive around 10 ft. deep flatlined with 50+ ft. of line out. Maybe only around 8 ft. with 20 lb. mono mainline. The 15 will dive a couple ft. or so deeper; the 16's are too big for some of the springers. If you anchor in 12 ft. of water on the outgoing tide you should be in the game flatlining the Kwikie. Especially if you are anchored in a hogline and want to low hole your competition laugh . But I suggest you rig for more versatile depths by using about a 45 to 50" leader with a 30" dropper. Stablize the lead on the bottom while gettring the lure action and then reel in 2 or 3 cracks to get the diving lure up off bottom 2' to 3'. Then if the fish aren't hitting in 12' of water you can try 15', 20', and 25' depths and already be rigged for the deeper water. ... You may have to troll around on the incoming tide, and that lead dropper rig up will be ready to do that also.