Where did all the boathouse kicker boats go?

Posted by: Mooch

Where did all the boathouse kicker boats go? - 02/15/02 12:01 AM

For a while now I been thinking of picking up an ol' 14-16' fiberglass kicker boat to use for the salt in front of my place. Something bullet-proof, low maintenence and sea worthy that has a bit more hull speed than the driftboat I'm using now. The boats I'm thinking of were rented by the hundreds at all the boathouses around the Sound, which have all gone by the wayside now. Nobody seems to know where they've all gone. Surely they're out there somewhere looking for a decent home. Anyone got a clue?
Posted by: FishNg1

Re: Where did all the boathouse kicker boats go? - 02/15/02 03:39 AM

A buddy of mine had one of those salmon pink colored Point no Point boats, it now resides in a locker at Point Defiance. I have a 14 foot Olympian, trailer and 15 hp Evinrude that I may part with in the near future. Just can't seem to use the third boat! E-mail me if interested, don't really know the value.
Posted by: Jellyhead

Re: Where did all the boathouse kicker boats go? - 02/15/02 10:36 AM

I've got a 14' columbian, sea worthy as all get out. Massive deep v. but narrow. I'd sure love to find the same boat in a 16'. It's funny, I was just thinking the same thing.

Aaron
Posted by: kjackson

Re: Where did all the boathouse kicker boats go? - 02/15/02 12:47 PM

Those older resort boats do make pretty good mooching boats. The folks in Clallam and Jefferson counties seem to pick them up when they're available. But every once in a while, you'll see a few of them sitting around in someone's yard for sale.

Last bunch I saw was three years ago in the boat haven area of PA. The guy wanted $600 for them, which was a bit high. Keep looking; they're there.

Another option is to look at all the ads for older fiberglass boats with trailers and motors. You can pick them up for next to nothing fairly often. I bought a 16' Olympic with 55 and 6 hp motors (and assorted other stuff) from a guy for $1400. I parted the thing out and eventually sold the boat and both motors (separately) for $1800 and kept the trailer.
Posted by: CedarR

Re: Where did all the boathouse kicker boats go? - 02/15/02 06:46 PM

When Glasply was building boats, they produced a model called "The Moocher". It was a classic fiberglass Puget Sound kicker boat. As I recall, it was set up for tiller steering, had side facing rear seats, no deck or windshield. The 16 foot Moocher was very seaworthy, and offered more usable fishing space than most 19-23 foot cabin type boats. Glasply has been out of business for quite awhile. Some of their models were picked up by other boat manufacturers, but I don't know if the Moocher was one of those models. It was basic, to the point of being stark. Probably, it wouldn't have much appeal in today's boating marketplace. Might find one in the classifieds, if your interested.
Posted by: Fishnhide

Re: Where did all the boathouse kicker boats go? - 02/15/02 06:49 PM

I got a 12' use to be a sail boat, turned into a row boat, that rows like a dream... to bad the oar locks are busting out of it... frown

Fiberglass boats just glide through the water though smile
Posted by: Dogfish

Re: Where did all the boathouse kicker boats go? - 02/15/02 08:22 PM

Check with the Coho Resort in Sekiu, 360-963-2333. Rhonda, the owner, had two boats left at the end of the last season. I believe that price was about $250. Tell her Andy from the bank sent ya.
Posted by: HBP

Re: Where did all the boathouse kicker boats go? - 02/16/02 12:29 PM

Try the Pt-No-Pt beach resort, since the state shut it down to fix the ramp a couple weeks back, Vic might be letting go of a few kickers. He sold a few before the state bought the resort and might want to dump a few more.I think the # is 360-638-2233