Blue Creek report

Posted by: trailrat77

Blue Creek report - 02/24/02 10:15 PM

I admit it I went there today. It was an act of pure desperation. The other river I went to was no good. Fished B.C. from about 9am till 3pm and the only fish I touched was a beautiful 16in Cutt that hit me like a S.H.. I had heard that the Cow had been doing pretty good the last few days so I went there as a plan B. The river is low with about 2-3ft of vis.. Fished from 10 till noon with no one else besides my partner there. That was cool, but kinda weird after making about 6 trips down there this season. The sleds are still working it hard, but most we talked to had only picked up one or two fish. Does B.C. get a good run of springers or do they just shoot up to Barrier? What about summerruns? This is the first year that I have braved the masses so I don't know a whole lot about the Cow. Oh yea, of course I released the Cutt.
Posted by: FishCatcher

Re: Blue Creek report - 02/25/02 09:34 PM

The spring chinook on the cowlitz go to the salmon hatchery at the barrier dam. They don't get a large return. Some years not enough to open it. If you are looking to hook some springers make a trip to the Wind river when the fish arrive.

I heard they did real well at blue creek for summer run steelhead last year. I missed out due to remodel work I was doing on my house. I talked with a guide when the silvers were in. He said he only made a couple trips for summer runs on the cowlitz. He said fishing was so good anyone could walk in and get their fish.