Wow

Posted by: RichH

Wow - 03/08/02 12:03 AM

Heres a pic of a chinook I caught on a coastal Oregon river 2 weeks ago. It gobbled a wiggle wart while my buddy got a nice 7# brat at the same time. laugh eek

As you can see by the head its a late fall/winter fish, not an early springer.
Posted by: Easy Limits

Re: Wow - 03/08/02 01:53 AM

Hello SLABATHA!! eek eek
Posted by: ROCKFISH

Re: Wow - 03/08/02 02:14 AM

I dont know much about chinook in fresh water but what in the world would that fish be doing in there if it was a fall fish.

they say springers stay in freshwater so long they spawn the same time as summer and fall fish. what about o.p. springers how long do they usually stay in freshwater? just wondering would like to know more about springers.

are springers called white kings in the salt?Ben
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: Wow - 03/08/02 03:26 AM

wtg Rich! Probably landed it on 10 or 12 lb. line too.

ROCKFISH, the Oregon coastal rivers near Tillamook and the southern Oregon coastal rivers (Chetco, Elk, etc.) get small numbers of real late fall chinooks. They are commonly called winter chinook. They are mature and spawn quickly. Late Feb. is about the latest I've seen a pic of a winter 'nook, and the earliest I've heard of a super early Trask or Wilson springer. Lucky guy. smile
Posted by: ltlCLEO

Re: Wow - 03/08/02 06:29 AM

That is the funkiest looking chinook I have ever seen.Looks like the grand dad to the new record humpy. laugh
Posted by: bardo

Re: Wow - 03/08/02 09:20 AM

dandy fish.
Posted by: willierower

Re: Wow - 03/08/02 10:06 AM

You just have to love those LATE fall nookers that throw a big surprise your way while you are chasing steelies. I bet that fish gave you the plug takedown from hell!

The latest Ive caught a fall nook was in mid January on an Oregon coast river. Last year my dad got a sea lice covered hen nook in the Coquille tidewater while plunking for steelhead in Febuary.

Thanks for sharing the picture, Now I cant wait until next fall. Its going to be a loooong six months confused
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: Wow - 03/09/02 03:48 AM

Long 6 months? Geez Paul, we're on the threshold of a great spring chinook run, man! I know - you forgot. ... And before ya know it you will be fishin on both springers and summers almost in your back yard, ya lucky dog. smile
Posted by: willierower

Re: Wow - 03/09/02 09:33 AM

The springers are just not the same. I dont have a boat that I can use in the Columbia, and by time they get here, they are a little colored up. Plus the springers dont get as big. Though it is nice to only have to drive 10 minutes to fish for them.

Oh by the way.......the summers are starting to show already. My buddy got a chrome bright 12 lber yesterday.
Posted by: Old Man

Re: Wow - 03/09/02 01:10 PM

Rockfish are you talking about the flesh of the fish. I caught a king off of Camano Island a few years ago and it's flesh was white. I was told at the time that,that was a fish from the Fraser river in BC. Oh it was a 27 lber. Jim S.