Size does matter

Posted by: YoungManRiver

Size does matter - 03/25/02 01:59 AM

You all seem to have some great advice. Be confident that I've used some of it this past season and had an outstanding winter pursuing and conquering the wiley steelhead.

A question for the masses...Hook size?

Growing up, everything seemed rather large, and in recent years I've downsized my gear. Realize here on the Klamath in California, our Steelhead run the 5-12 lb. range. I'll head to the Smith River, also in CA which produces considerably larger fish to 25+ lbs. Under most circumstances I have been greatly successful using #4 octopus; where ever I go. Even for the larger Coastal fish, the most successful professionals use the small hooks. (I've seen many 20+ steelhead landed on #4's)

I'll use 4's while drifting w/slinkies from the bank or drifting boat. Or, most recently, with your encouragment, drifting them under a slip bobber, also from the boat.

Most importantly I would like to know your opinions. And if I've missed a post concerning this topic, please direct me accordingly. Thank you for your insight.

Also: What's the word on the new Cotton Cordell Wiggle O?? I need a good lure to replace the OLD wee-wart. Thanks.

YoungManRiver
Klamath River,CA
Posted by: Mike L.

Re: Size does matter - 03/25/02 07:55 AM

Hook size? I use #1 most of the time with bait, and when using corkies, generally move to a size 2/0. Like to have plenty of exposed hook to grab fishes mouth. I have never believed fish know what a hook is, and I feel I miss less fish with a slightly larger hook. I also strike rather quickly rather than let fish swallow bait, and feel like I am less likely to pull hook from fishes mouth if it is larger.
Posted by: Steel-Addicted

Re: Size does matter - 03/25/02 11:13 AM

When fishing bait, I use double hook rig. #2 in front followed by a #4. I als place a small corkie / cheater between the two hooks.

SA