Rods...final gauntlet...

Posted by: Fish Jesus

Rods...final gauntlet... - 04/19/02 09:39 PM

Loomis, Lami, orange Daiwa...lets here it.

1 vote per person for 1 rod preference...first hundred votes tallied.

Make it easy. State your preference...then ramble on below that...about how great your choice is. eek

I'll post the percentages to reveal the true winner of who makes the most popular rod.

Best selling story...a day on the river...my treat!

FJ...out.
Posted by: Dogfish

Re: Rods...final gauntlet... - 04/19/02 10:02 PM

Kunan!

Can't get 'em any more, and they fish jigs real well! Just had two rebuilt. 15 years old, over a thousand fish, best $65 bucks each I ever spent.
Posted by: RPetzold

Re: Rods...final gauntlet... - 04/19/02 11:19 PM

SAGE laugh
Posted by: Rapid Robert

Re: Rods...final gauntlet... - 04/19/02 11:51 PM

G.LOOMIS cool still the best.
Hey FJ, whats your rod pick?
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: Rods...final gauntlet... - 04/19/02 11:55 PM

Allstar....would have been a Kunan but my last steelie fishen one died gloriously 11 years ago.
Posted by: stlhdr1

Re: Rods...final gauntlet... - 04/19/02 11:57 PM

GLOOMIS 1084IMX,
Has landed me many, many, many of fishies...
Keith laugh

Re: Rods...final gauntlet... - 04/20/02 12:12 AM

RR, Lamiglass...that's why I am "company" on... Team: Loomis Ho's and Company.

Can I still fish with you loomis Ho's anyways? confused

FJ...out.
Posted by: Timber

Re: Rods...final gauntlet... - 04/20/02 03:35 AM

Snoopy rod! laugh

The reason Is because my son catches more pretend fish with his then anyone I know wink

Oh yeah- Loomis is OK too eek
Posted by: fp

Re: Rods...final gauntlet... - 04/20/02 03:59 AM

Lamiglas for me.

fp
Posted by: fishhead5

Re: Rods...final gauntlet... - 04/20/02 09:49 AM

All Star 1082

Used to be loomis, but with the change in quality, why pay the price.

Fishhead5
Posted by: willierower

Re: Rods...final gauntlet... - 04/20/02 09:52 AM

Allstar, Loomis, Lamiglas and Rainshadow. I have some of each and use them all..........

But the one I seem to use the most is a Loomis STR 1143 GL3. Its got every thing from rock fish off the jetty to chinook in small streams. Its even done duty as a plug rod a time or two......
Posted by: RockLizard

Re: Rods...final gauntlet... - 04/20/02 01:16 PM

My vote goes to the Lamiglass Cert Pro X96 MCT. Ive "earned my stripes" with this rod and will probably cry the day it goes...hey wait its a Lami, just send it in for a new one
Tight Lines
RL
Posted by: CRAVEN MOOREHEAD

Re: Rods...final gauntlet... - 04/20/02 06:06 PM

A definite Lami fan for now, still waiting on word of my replacement rod...stay tuned.
Posted by: KurtF

Re: Rods...final gauntlet... - 04/20/02 06:40 PM

My favorite rod is always the last one I caught a fish with...currently, that would be my 8' Lamiglass spinning rod.

My all-time favorite comes from when I was a kid, a 5 1/2 foot Fenwick ultralight. I caught more species and numbers of fish on that one rod than any others combined - went through 5 spinning reels on that pole.
Posted by: Jigman

Re: Rods...final gauntlet... - 04/20/02 10:34 PM

G.Loomis.......they're all I fish with any more.
Posted by: bardo

Re: Rods...final gauntlet... - 04/20/02 11:02 PM

may flower all the way. best pole ever made
Posted by: trailrat77

Re: Rods...final gauntlet... - 04/21/02 01:04 AM

Right now my favorite rod is a G Loomis, it may change in the future, but I'll aways love my first Loomis.

Boy I was drunk when I made that first post rolleyes
Posted by: Jerry Garcia

Re: Rods...final gauntlet... - 04/22/02 08:59 AM

Loomis-just because
Posted by: Gill Popper

Re: Rods...final gauntlet... - 04/22/02 01:54 PM

If you can get your hands on a Sage 286 or 290 your search for the best rod will be over. Fished with a IMX 1086 for a few years and it was a nice rod but when I finally got a 286 I felt a lot more happening.
Posted by: Dances

Re: Rods...final gauntlet... - 04/22/02 02:04 PM

All-Star, All-Star, All-Star, All-Star, All-Star,
Did I mention All-Star. Used to be a Loomis too but I got feed up with and threw it in the river and now I just Love my Star
Dances Out

Re: Rods...final gauntlet... - 04/22/02 02:47 PM

Hey Timber, funny thing how some of these definite Lami fans are lined up to buy the Loomis I'm changing out? confused And I see Kmart has ALLSTAR rod on sale. :p

Re: Rods...final gauntlet... - 04/22/02 03:36 PM

Thats just it RR..They are lamisnap fans until they get a Loomis in there hand..

Fred meyer has all your Lami needs guys! :p :p

laugh laugh LOOMIS is my fav laugh laugh
Posted by: CRAVEN MOOREHEAD

Re: Rods...final gauntlet... - 04/22/02 04:15 PM

I am a Lami fan, but I ain't no fool. The line for RR's G-Loomis starts behind me! For that price, I'll definitely change fan clubs!! wink
Posted by: JR32

Re: Rods...final gauntlet... - 04/22/02 05:42 PM

My favorite rod is a Rainshadow 1084. I don't own one but have built two. One for my dad and the other for my fishing buddy. Both of these people limited on steelhead the first time they used their rods. I guess I have the magic touch.
Posted by: bank walker

Re: Rods...final gauntlet... - 04/22/02 06:26 PM

GLoomis is tops in my book...

However, if every rod you owned was a GL you would go bankrupt. Other good "filler" rods are Lamiglass, Allstar, and Buzz Ramsey IM7, you can find them at Best Salvage and Wallmart laugh laugh
Posted by: FISHNBRAD

Re: Rods...final gauntlet... - 04/22/02 07:13 PM

South Bend all the way with Fred Bear a close second
Posted by: DM

Re: Rods...final gauntlet... - 04/22/02 08:20 PM

4 words LOOMIS! LOOMIS! LOOMIS! LOOMIS!
cool

I have caught so many fish on my loomis rods I have lost count. <<<<just so this doesn't look bad I must state that I am not braging.

Re: Rods...final gauntlet... - 04/22/02 11:03 PM

bank walker- I have 17 Loomis rods and I'm not bankrupt yet :p

I had 19 a few weeks back but sold a couple that I never fished laugh
Posted by: AkKings

Re: Rods...final gauntlet... - 04/22/02 11:38 PM

I guess I would have to give my vote to G. Loomis.

I have 6 Loomis and 5 Lami's in the closet and my all around favorite is my GL3 1025 for just about everything except king fishing, for that I prefer my 9ft Lami LHS. laugh
Posted by: Wild Chrome

Re: Rods...final gauntlet... - 04/23/02 01:44 AM

Lamiglas

When I looked for a 10.5 foot float and hardware rod 3 or 4 years ago, the Lam Cert Pro was the only one I found. Loomis didn't make any that length and called their 9.5 a float and jig rod. Several hundred steelhead later, I feel naked, impotent, and lonely when I fish without my Lamiglas (don't tell my wife). That rod is so productive, I swear I can hear the fish scream in terror when I drive across a bridge with that rod in the back of my truck! Eventually, I even named it Steve so when I want to go fishing and something comes up, I can say "I told Steve I'd take him to the river. I have to go!" When do you know you've gone crazy?
Posted by: Curt

Re: Rods...final gauntlet... - 04/23/02 02:26 PM

my vote has to go to loomis all the way!!!

FISH ON!!!
Posted by: Fishon grahn

Re: Rods...final gauntlet... - 04/23/02 02:49 PM

HAVE TO SAY G-LOOMIS Landed a 54lb king with a
GL-2 1025c. trolling for silvers this year on 12 lb test. FISHON
Posted by: The Moderator

Re: Rods...final gauntlet... - 04/23/02 03:44 PM

Maybe I'll change my mind at a later date, especially when Allstar introduces some new rods later this summer.

Until that time, it's Loomis.

I love my GL3 1084 and GL3 1143.
Posted by: goforchrome

Re: Rods...final gauntlet... - 04/23/02 05:24 PM

I gotta go with Parker, I have 4 Lami's in the stable and the two rods that get the most miles are Loomis 1084 IMX and 1143 GL3.
If it had to be one, it would be the 1143...great drifter, long enough for floats and do moderate duty in the downrigger(oops, was that my out-loud voice about the downrigger?).
Posted by: GutZ

Re: Rods...final gauntlet... - 04/23/02 08:29 PM

BROWNING!
Cheap but lucky!
I am currently fishing with an 8-17 on which I have caught a couple Springers and Quinalt Buck that was over 20# (39x24 1/2)
Posted by: FishinSinsation

Re: Rods...final gauntlet... - 04/23/02 08:44 PM

i used to be in the dark packing a lamisnap as some call it, but now all i see is the 1143 loomis in my hand, and oh yes.. i found the light at the end of the tunnel thanks RR....

Re: Rods...final gauntlet... - 04/23/02 10:24 PM

goforchrome, I'm with you the loomis str1143c is a great light down rigger rod, caught lots of summer rums and U.R.B's and coho with them off riggers in the gorge in the summer and fall.My main downrigger rods are Loomis str1265c, they are a little heavyer and a foot longer and we have landed several Up River Brites 55# plus on them. Hey FS, glad I could help. wink

Re: Rods...final gauntlet... - 04/23/02 11:39 PM

Damn, whats with all the Lami bashing? I wouldnt call "packing a lamisnap" as "being in the dark". IMO they make a pretty good product at a resonable price with an excellent warranty.
I think the rod question is easily solved...If you like it and are confident you will catch fish with it, then buy it...whether its $400 or $100.
One thing I cant argue is you Loomis guys are awful loyal and that speaks volumes.
I denitaley see my first Loomis in the near future. After all one can never own too many rods. cool
Tight Lines
RL

Re: Rods...final gauntlet... - 04/23/02 11:44 PM

Rocklizard, welcome aboard the loomis landslide smile

Re: Rods...final gauntlet... - 04/23/02 11:59 PM

RR,
Dont get me wrong, I am in no way getting rid of Lami collection. At least thats not what my intention is. Lamiglas has never done me wrong in any way, shape or form so I will continue to support their product.
Just trying to keep an open mind
Tight Lines
RL
Posted by: Chrome454

Re: Rods...final gauntlet... - 04/24/02 11:02 AM

Loomis rods are sweet but a person would have to
be nuts to pay full price for one. I would probably buy a few used ones if I could get a good deal or even a few new ones if Loomis would come off their high horse and drop their prices. These rods are way over priced and their warrenty is not all that good to boot. Theres nothing wrong with lamiglas, good rods at good prices and better warrenty service. TH rods also give you
the most bang for your buck, big loomis fans may disagree with this but paying close to or over three bills for a rod is absolute insanity.
Posted by: baddawg

Re: Rods...final gauntlet... - 04/24/02 11:38 AM

I have a number of different rods, but a couple of my favorites are Fenwicks. I have and older fiberglass 8'3" and a HMG steelie rod. Both are great rods. wink

Re: Rods...final gauntlet... - 04/24/02 12:01 PM

Posted by: TH

Re: Rods...final gauntlet... - 04/24/02 01:56 PM

GLoomis rods are good rods... but not the best rods on the market and no where close to the best blanks!
Comparing a factory rod to a custom rod is not fair. It has been our experience that people who have custom rods built never buy factory rods again. There really is a difference.

Explore other options.. laugh

Re: Rods...final gauntlet... - 04/28/02 11:08 AM

Not even close to a hundred votes yet. Only about 40 of us using rods on here?

TH I was looking for everyones rod preference...not a freaking sales pitch! rolleyes rolleyes

FJ...out.

Re: Rods...final gauntlet... - 04/28/02 10:06 PM

Allstar Rocks...oh crap I already voted rolleyes .
Posted by: LittleZoZo

Re: Rods...final gauntlet... - 04/28/02 11:13 PM

Allright, I use a Loomis 1141 paired with a Cardinal 3 for 80% of my Steelhead fishing and a Loomis 1083 pared with a Cardinal 4 for the other 20%. Yeah, Loomis makes a spendy rod, and they can get kind of petty when it comes to the waranty stuff, but they still make the best over the counter rod you can buy. I will say one thing though. Just like TH said, buy custom tied if you can afford it, there really is a difference.
Posted by: Firedog

Re: Rods...final gauntlet... - 04/28/02 11:47 PM

I used to be a die hard Loomis Fan and will be again if they bring back the blank line to a decent selection. I have a bunch in my garage and use all of them at different times. I wrapped all of them but one and that is my HS9000, it is a factory rod because it was going to take 3 months longer to get the blank then it was for the factory rod. Last Loomis I built is a 1143 spinning rod for bobber and jig fishing.
Like TH said once you have fished a custom rod you won't want to go back and once you have built a few of your own you are in deep trouble smile . I have started using Rainshadow blanks and really like them, also hard to beat the price if you know the right people to get them from smile . also going to pick up a couple Rogue blanks and try them out. A lot of good Rods/Blanks out there and just like Trucks we all have our opinions wink
Posted by: RPetzold

Re: Rods...final gauntlet... - 04/29/02 12:05 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Firedog:
also going to pick up a couple Rogue blanks and try them out.
Save yourself both the time and money...AND DO NOT DO IT!!

Re: Rods...final gauntlet... - 04/29/02 09:49 AM

That was a sales pitch? frown wow ..
So everytime I make a post now it's a sales pitch? I am simply suggesting that Loomis rods aren't what they used to be and that custom rods fish, look and feel better than fatory rods..

Have a great day!

Re: Rods...final gauntlet... - 04/29/02 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by AuntyM:

I am not capable of having my own opinion since I am a woman. I must have proper male guidance. wink :p :p :p :p
Truer words were never spoken laugh laugh
Posted by: Mikey Likes it

Re: Rods...final gauntlet... - 04/29/02 02:42 PM

Woodrow

That proper male guidance AuntyM was refering to is me. AuntyM's Husband she needs no other guidance. laugh laugh
Posted by: The Moderator

Re: Rods...final gauntlet... - 04/29/02 02:57 PM

Vision Rods, custom built by TH, RULE!!!!!

Oooo. Whacking multiple birds with one stone on that one! wink

Re: Rods...final gauntlet... - 04/29/02 03:30 PM

(Rainshadow blanks) custom built by TH, Forecast cork handles smeared in the Ultimate Egg cure, by eggs bought from Ammerman, tiped on a First Cast jig, using Owner hooks, and Power pro line... fishing out of my Willie Predator, being pulled by my Ford Excursion that I bought from Bear at Riverside Ford (Thanks Bear), using nothing but my Shimano Chronarch's and Cabelas Guide Wear and Simms goretex waders, and my TH Hats embroidered by B&T Promo products, geezzz this is fun.. all I need now is some of that ice tea mix that Superfly drinks.. smile

In all fairness, I try not to post too many of my personal opinions regarding rods, but dang, it's hard! Thanks for you patience!

Re: Rods...final gauntlet... - 04/29/02 07:11 PM

Rainshadow custom built over a Loomis!!!

I think not!!!!!!!!!

Good try though TH...

Loomis ROCKS no matter what some say...TM
Posted by: eggwhore

Re: Rods...final gauntlet... - 04/29/02 07:14 PM

FISH JESUS Old school loomis not the crap there selling right now. STR1025C has put a good number af steelhead in my fish box....

Re: Rods...final gauntlet... - 04/29/02 09:18 PM

Good post TH! laugh It's nice to see someone who can take a little criticism and rearticulate their thoughts on a post in such a respectable manor! For that I thank you.

FJ...out.

Re: Rods...final gauntlet... - 04/29/02 09:37 PM

i like my old glass fenwicks, wouldnt trade them for none of these new fancy rods.
Posted by: Chrome454

Re: Rods...final gauntlet... - 04/29/02 10:01 PM

Here is the correct spelling for Loomis
{RIP OFF}
They make great rods but when it comes to pricing
them someone needs to quit smokin that whacky tabacky!!!

Re: Rods...final gauntlet... - 04/29/02 10:32 PM

Ed, come on now fella...please don't turn my thread into something else. Thanks. cool

My thread is to get an idea from the first one hundred votes about who prefers which rods most...not who hates which rods and why!

I was also looking for a few reasons why everyone feels so strongly about their chosen stick. laugh

Thanks for your vote Ed and that of others.

FJ...out.
Posted by: rustyhook

Re: Rods...final gauntlet... - 04/29/02 11:27 PM

Rainshadow custom 1084 by TH --- Tried Lami, Loomis, and Allstar --- Confidence that the Rainshadow rod will not let me down is why it gets my vote. The balance with the reel I use makes a long day on the river easy on the arms of this old man. The others may work better for others however, the Rainshadow works best for me. God Bless the U.S.A.

Re: Rods...final gauntlet... - 04/30/02 09:51 AM

Thanks FJ... focus, I just keep telling myself to focus..

Thanks Rusty

and TM.. there is sooooo much difference...

YES!!!

Re: Rods...final gauntlet... - 04/30/02 09:52 PM

TH are you saying there is a big difference between G Loomis and Rainshadow or are you saying there is a big difference between custom built Rods and factory confused

Also just wondering how you can sell a Rainshadow blank that is soposidly better quality than Loomis for so cheap. Is it just the Loomis name wich makes the money. confused
Posted by: Sparkey

Re: Rods...final gauntlet... - 04/30/02 10:04 PM

Here is my take on it...and take it seriously as I've played around with alot of Rainshadows and fished with alot of Loomises.

Rainshadows ARE NOT a Loomis.

Respsonsiveness, sensitivity, weight are all in favor of GL3's and IMX's. Does that mean Rainshadow is a bad rod??...no, they are a great rod, for the MONEY.

Will you get a better built rod with a custom rod? Yes.

If you can not afford or do not want to spend the money for a GL3 or IMX, buy a Rainshadow. If you don't mind spending the money (like myself and many others), buy a Loomis.

Re: Rods...final gauntlet... - 05/01/02 10:01 AM

This can be looked at from many different points of view. I personally, and have heard from countless others that the Rainshadow blanks fish as well or better than a GL3. They are a mod/fast blank, making them a bit softer feeling, but as far as weight and sensitivity I feel they are right there..
and yes I feel a custom rod fishes better than a factory rod..TM but we can argue anything.
As for the price, I would love to be able to sell Loomis rods everyday... We make much more money on a Loomis rod.. due to the extreme mark up of their blanks/rods.
As for our prices on rainshadow TH Rods, this is a hobby business and we want to provide the best rod to fisherman who like to fish and we feel the Rainshadow blank is it. We have decided that we need to make a certain dollar figure on each rod and have set our prices accordingly. Are they I am anxious to see the new xcel line from rainshadow, if it is anything like the fly rods they have in their line it will be aswesome, and still moderately priced.
The great thing about all of this is you have a choice and get to have an opinion. Loomis rods rods are great, but not great for everyone.. Sage blanks are great too...

Anyone fishing for stripers?
Posted by: Jerry Garcia

Re: Rods...final gauntlet... - 05/01/02 01:08 PM

If you read the original question posed on this tread there should not be any arguments over the best rod. It asks for your opinion about what rod YOU[your personal opinion] like best. It does not ask for your opinion about somebody else's opinion.
Posted by: baitslinger

Re: Rods...final gauntlet... - 05/01/02 02:03 PM

FENWICK-I fish a Fenwick boron when drifting and a fenwick glass when pulling plugs. Have fished fenwick for over 35 years and will probably kick the bucket with one in my hand. Anybody got an old fenwick boron drift blank they want to part with?

Re: Rods...final gauntlet... - 05/01/02 04:18 PM

sorry Jerry didnt mean to start an argument cool
Posted by: okieboy

Re: Rods...final gauntlet... - 05/02/02 04:06 PM

I think that loomis makes the best BLANKS but not the best rods. Now there rods are cheap there guides bent the rings fall out, i think i will buy a lamiglas next time cause i am just sick of the petty problems.

Re: Rods...final gauntlet... - 05/03/02 12:27 AM

TM laugh

Re: Rods...final gauntlet... - 05/03/02 11:09 AM

TM, your obsession is bordering on whorification! eek eek laugh

I'm hoping to tally the poll when I get back next week...so get em in!

FJ...out.

Re: Rods...final gauntlet... - 05/03/02 11:57 AM

OH yeah dd I say my choice was -----

laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh TM

Re: Rods...final gauntlet... - 05/03/02 04:05 PM

TM, your votes are going to be logged as deductive votes if you keep that up! :p :p :p

I would hate for those other Loomis Ho tough guys out there to hunt your *ss down and bust a stump off in it! eek eek laugh

FJ...out.
Posted by: Bigdog2250

Re: Rods...final gauntlet... - 05/03/02 04:10 PM

My favorite would have to be Alloomiglas 985c. :p The Buzz Herzog model,of course!! eek

Hey you guys,when are we going to argue Ford and Chevy???
Posted by: bank walker

Re: Rods...final gauntlet... - 05/03/02 06:11 PM

CHEVY!!!!!! eek laugh

Re: Rods...final gauntlet... - 05/03/02 06:33 PM

Bigdog, you standing down wind of Loose Bruce? eek eek laugh

FJ...out.
Posted by: Bigdog2250

Re: Rods...final gauntlet... - 05/04/02 10:11 AM

Every chance I get. cool
Boy,His rep sure spread like wild fire! Sure is fun to fish with. wink

Re: Rods...final gauntlet... - 05/04/02 12:23 PM

Dog, Wiser and I anchored up next to him at F4. He does know how to have a good time!! cool

He must help to keep you spry. eek :p

FJ...out.
Posted by: Steelymann

Re: Rods...final gauntlet... - 05/04/02 06:06 PM

I've been fishing a St. Croix Avid series rod the last year and love it! Landed many a silver and stellhead! Don't have to pay the big bucks for it either.
Posted by: Dave Jackson

Re: Rods...final gauntlet... - 05/06/02 02:44 PM

Orange Daiwa.

There. Now that is out of the way...