Prince of Wales Island Steelies

Posted by: cruzah

Prince of Wales Island Steelies - 04/21/02 10:38 AM

Howdy all...new to this site and thought I'd see if I can get some tips on a steelhead trip I'm going on.

Last week I was fortunate enough to be offered a vacant spot on a steelhead trip to Prince of Wales Island in Southeast Alaska. We'll be fishing from 4/30 to 5/7.

The problem is that A) I've never done much steelhead fishing (except for the Salmon River in NY using the "chuck 'n duck" method of flycasting) and B) I don't know what to expect in AK other than what the lodge tells me.

I plan on bringing a 9' 8wt rod & No.2 Islander Reel. I just ordered a RIO versitip system to put on the reel. I have a vague idea of the recommended fly patterns (Babine special size 2-6; Glo-Bugs; Egg Sucking Leach - size 2-4; Polar Shrimp - size 2-6; Hot Pink Sparkle Shrimp - size 2-6; Whiz Banger Leach - size 1/0-2).

I'm really excited to try this, cuz fishing the Salmon River in NY never really turned me on. (I've done three, 3-day trips out there with a total of 60 or 70 hours of fishing, and never even hooked a fish, never mind land it!)

I plan on bringing a 4wt rod for dollies and cuts in case the Steelie action is slow.

If anyone can offer some advice to this johnny-come-lately steelhead fisherman, it would be appreciated.

Thanks...
Posted by: fishen fool

Re: Prince of Wales Island Steelies - 04/21/02 08:43 PM

Good luck, I know a guy that came back from there Monday of this week and said that the fishing was so bad on account of low water that his guide canceled the rest of the season. This guy goes there every year and he said that this was his worst year. Oh yeah, he is really a pretty good fisherman.
Posted by: Schlab

Re: Prince of Wales Island Steelies - 04/22/02 04:18 PM

The rivers up there are generally pretty small. I would think you should be fishing a floating line and heavily weighted glo bugs, egg patterns etc. Sink tips aren't good in small rivers with low water, that's a good way to spook 'em.

Re: Prince of Wales Island Steelies - 04/24/02 08:19 PM

This picture tells me there may just be a few steelies to catch...
This is a picture of one of the guides we'll be using next week. He caught this fish today.

http://www.cartogra.com/home/ViewMyAlbum.asp?coll_id=1533618
Posted by: Buzzo

Re: Prince of Wales Island Steelies - 04/24/02 10:30 PM

I'm sure there's still fish around, but I just talked to a tackle supplier friend who just came back from Prince of Wales visiting a friend who guides. Apparently they were going to start cancelling trips because of a low return. My friend said it was the slowest its ever been since he started going, but I don't know how much in the past he's gone up. H..
Posted by: hawk

Re: Prince of Wales Island Steelies - 04/25/02 09:36 AM

Chuck and Duck is perfect for rivers of that size. We use it in S.E. Alaska on small river steelhead, and we light em up. A 9 foot 8 weight, Martin 72 Multiplier loaded with 8 to 10 pound Maxima, and a box of yarn with about 20 different colors ranging from Champagne to Cerise. They will beg for mercy.

Re: Prince of Wales Island Steelies - 05/14/02 06:32 AM

I've returned from our successful trip to SE Alaska.
And well, some of you were right on the money about water conditions.
The water levels in the rivers were the biggest challenge to our success in catching steelies. We had bright sunny weather the entire time we were there (with one brief afternoon of light rain). One day was in the 70's which brought snow melt to the rivers, but it made little or no difference. As the week wore on, the levels got lower and lower.
Nonetheless, I was able to hook and play two steelies and land my first ever steelie. Not the success I wanted, but a good trip nonetheless.
Overall, our group of six caught and released between 25 and 30 fish. Half bright; half dark.
Not sure if I want to make the trek again, but maybe.
Thanks to everyone for the helpful comments.