How many springers have you caught?

Posted by: Sprking31

How many springers have you caught? - 05/23/02 09:25 PM

Just curious how many some people have caught in this season even though they arent in the rivers. I have personally caught 3, all from drano and broke off 2. smile
Posted by: FishinSinsation

Re: How many springers have you caught? - 05/23/02 09:59 PM

4 springers, broke off 8 or so others

all on the cowlitz

barrier line combat.
Posted by: Flasher

Re: How many springers have you caught? - 05/23/02 10:18 PM

Only one for me so far this year. I almost gave up trying too. Went out late on a friday evening around 7:30pm after work and in 1 1/2 hrs. we had 2 in the boat. Put many, oh so many hours on the river.

"See ya on the river"
Posted by: FishCatcher

Re: How many springers have you caught? - 05/23/02 10:22 PM

4 springers landed and 7 threw the hook. 6 days of fishing. 10 were hooked on the only decent day I have seen so far. Hopefully the fish decide to come in.
Posted by: Hohhum

Re: How many springers have you caught? - 05/23/02 11:22 PM

None yet. I live on the Hoh and I am looking for them every other day or so rolleyes :p
Posted by: Chromeo

Re: How many springers have you caught? - 05/23/02 11:30 PM

2 for me in 2 trips havent lost any or broken off 8 laugh rolleyes . both at barrier line combat fishin!

Tyler
Posted by: Robert Allen3

Re: How many springers have you caught? - 05/23/02 11:35 PM

10 trips or so since the Columbia opened. Cayght one wild fish, then the water came up and the few spots that were fishable were to packed with people so I gave up. none to BBQ for me this year. Here is the real question. with runs expected to flop next year and no reason to expect large runs ever again. Was the 15th the last day springer fishing in the Columbia will be open in my lifetime???
Posted by: B-RUN STEELY

Re: How many springers have you caught? - 05/23/02 11:48 PM

None... river was up to 46,000 cfs... trees floating down etc.. fished confuence at lewiston and then went to Riggens and scared the crap out of us with 10-15 foot rollers... sucked... waiting for lower flows... peace ...out
Posted by: Dogfish

Re: How many springers have you caught? - 05/24/02 12:20 AM

ZERO
Posted by: Sparkey

Re: How many springers have you caught? - 05/24/02 12:34 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Robert Allen3:
Was the 15th the last day springer fishing in the Columbia will be open in my lifetime???
...or better yet...will the Columbia be open EVER again???

Now how is that for some pescimism...?? frown

Oh well Rob, it was good while it lasted and you will never have to plunk again!!! laugh

Is my Burkheimer on the way, yet???? laugh
Posted by: Sunfish

Re: How many springers have you caught? - 05/24/02 12:50 AM

I've caught 5, a couple in the Kalama and 3 out on the Olympic Peninsula.
Posted by: Chuckn'Duck

Re: How many springers have you caught? - 05/24/02 02:49 AM

B-Run,
Time to pick up the kayak and make a quick trip downriver...just toss out a little dough to NRS in Moscow and you'll be set for some speed back bouncing down the crick!!!
Posted by: Bounty Hunter

Re: How many springers have you caught? - 05/24/02 10:53 AM

3 keepers and 1 unclipped on the Columbia, 1 broke off, and 1 keeper lost at the net 'cause my buddy decided to net the tail. rolleyes
(more upset about the lost plug than the fish)

OK add 4 keepers to my total (but they aren't as prized 'cause I caught them over a few days out of a meat fishery).
Posted by: willierower

Re: How many springers have you caught? - 05/24/02 11:27 AM

Lets see, My boat has hooked 16, Ive hooked one while banking it. Out of those that have been hooked, 6 have been landed, 1 being a wild fish. Ive landed 2, 1 being the wild fish. My dad landed 3 and a friend has got one. Our hook to land ratio is in the toilet this year rolleyes
Posted by: BERKLEY BOY75

Re: How many springers have you caught? - 05/24/02 11:30 AM

one trip to idaho for springers, fished out of lewiston in a boat and nada, went to asahka, and my 2 drift from the bridge, wham, fish on, it weighed in @ 17.5 lbs, not bad for my first ever springer, so the trip over wasnt so bad..anyone got a good brine recipe, for the bar-b-cue? i plan on using some alder chips when on the barbe.. **berkley boy**
Posted by: Jeffhead

Re: How many springers have you caught? - 05/24/02 11:52 AM

7 hooked, 3 wild that were released and 4 clipped in the boat between this year and last. RA3, YES there will be another fishery in our lifetime. Decent return this year, good flows to get em' out, may have to wait a few years but it will happen. Besides that the predicted fall nook' returns are suppossed to be awesome this year!!!
Good luck and tight lines, Jeff laugh laugh
Posted by: Never Enough Nookie

Re: How many springers have you caught? - 05/24/02 01:38 PM

I only made it down once, but had a decent trip personaly though. All day fishing and 1 kept ~17 lbs. and one supposed wild (Idaho tribal fish)released ~9 lbs. mad mad Those were the only fish or bites for our boat that day. The truck problems at the Cathlamet launch are a different story. rolleyes
As far as the future goes I see great things coming. laugh laugh laugh Springers spend a year in the fresh water before they leave. That means that last years record return will be going downstream this year with good water to push them through. Now we just hope that the winter of 02-03 will again provide enough snow to push out the 02 brood, this years.
That could get confussing quick. confused

NEN
Posted by: STRIKE ZONE

Re: How many springers have you caught? - 05/24/02 02:52 PM

Hooked 12 landed 10 in my boat,but I've only hooked 3 landed 3.All the others were from the guest that were in my boat.All on the wind river troll fishery.All on mag wart's.I'm done for this year,gettin ready for some butt fishin and not the kind your all thinkin.You'll have to guess the
plug color's,hint they weren't all on "ORANGE".
Good luck,
STRIKE ZONE
P.S. The high light of the season was getting my
5 year old daughter her first salmon.She thought that she was all that and a big mac,What's funny is she was.
Posted by: icechopper

Re: How many springers have you caught? - 05/24/02 03:03 PM

So far I believe 10 on the bank and broke off 3 ot 4. Ranging from the Columbia Wind and a couple off the Kalama. Hopefully a few more soon.
Posted by: GutZ

Re: How many springers have you caught? - 05/24/02 03:26 PM

Two on my card. I have put a number of my friends on their First Ever Springers. RBF busted the first one off, Smurf got 3, Pete the Plunker got one and so did Byron at F4.

I am not done yet!
Posted by: JRfishing

Re: How many springers have you caught? - 05/24/02 04:15 PM

2 trips around the Lewis river area, (1) trip for F4, 7 total 3 keepers, all on k-fish. K-13 lighted and k-15 silver and char seamed to be the ticket.
Posted by: superfly

Re: How many springers have you caught? - 05/27/02 04:42 PM

Now that A few have arrived at the place where I like to spend my time catching em, alot !!!!
BK, Myself and another couple friends put the hammer to them this weekend. Plenty of fish for us!!! way to many to clean and fillet.
From here on out I think I will only be keeping one or two a day. The Raised limit in some of these places is ridiculous and un-nessecery and a real waste.
We caught and released as many as we kept.
(who counts anyways)
But not everyone was catching fish,
You still have to have good bait and know what's up.
Hey Fastwater, Glad to run into you down there, shoot me an e-mail when you get home.
Anyways so far so good, can't wait till the weather is nice everyday.
Peace Superfly laugh laugh
Posted by: OntheColumbia

Re: How many springers have you caught? - 05/28/02 08:44 PM

Zero hits for about four Columbia beach plunking sessions.

Better from our boat in the Multnomah Channel with four kept, two others released, and two lost. Of the six landed, one was on the usual K15 chrome/chartruese, two were on whole sardines, and three on plugged herring.
Posted by: RipDatLip

Re: How many springers have you caught? - 05/28/02 09:11 PM

Not Enough!

Matt
Posted by: cannonball

Re: How many springers have you caught? - 05/29/02 10:52 AM

The Boat caught eight, with only one keeper. My wife caught 5 I caught 1 and guests caught 2. That keeper tasted so good I might even give the dreaded wind a try for one more!
Posted by: cohoangler

Re: How many springers have you caught? - 05/30/02 04:09 PM

I've landed four. Three were hatchery brats around 15lbs. each but the biggest (25lb range) was a wild fish so he went back. Got them all on the Sandy River. Two on spinners (pink Blue Fox) and two on eggs (Amerman cure). The Wind River was a complete bust. I went several times and saw lots of anglers and no fish.
Posted by: FishCatcher

Re: How many springers have you caught? - 05/31/02 06:36 PM

As of today I am up to 21 kept and 5 released. The fish finally came in. I think I am done for the season. On to steelhead and sturgeon.
Posted by: Hey Yall Watch This

Re: How many springers have you caught? - 06/01/02 04:42 PM

0 but I've got a broken knee.

Springers are too small to take seriously. I'll wait and tan now so I can look damn good again this fall bangin' the 40 pounders. Question is, what's he bangin' again?

WHO'S YER DADDY
Posted by: Eastsidefly

Re: How many springers have you caught? - 06/02/02 03:10 PM

10 for me so far with some more that I handed off. 5 trolling off the mouth of the Wind and 5 in the river it self. Man they sure are awesome on the barbicue, even better that Copper River fish don't you think?
Posted by: superfly

Re: How many springers have you caught? - 06/02/02 03:41 PM

Remember, the cooper river fish are of very similiar genetic code to the Columbia river fish and they say the copper river thing is one of the most successful marketing schemes ever pulled off.
Peace Superfly laugh laugh
Posted by: spawnout

Re: How many springers have you caught? - 06/03/02 11:51 AM

Man, I thought you crackers would have better numbers that that! I fished Cathlamet with my hog herring 16 times this year and caught 11, but only 4 were keepers. Also lost a lot - one day fishing by myself lost 4 right at the boat:( Not near so good a year as last year - had one day where my bud and I hooked 13 and put nine in the boat before we got our 4 keepers, all this by noon laugh But this year there was a lot more pressure, especially from frickin gillnets in March mad and a lot more sport fishermen were fishing effectively.

Now with this high water we are having, coupled with the great return last year, we actually could have high outmigrant survival and a decent run of hatchery fish in 3 years or so. However, I doubt that with the record low flow last year and the likely abyssmal survival of wild spring chinook we will be allowed to fish - there may not be any incidental fish to take other than those for the indians. Never know, though.
Posted by: Rapid Robert

Re: How many springers have you caught? - 06/03/02 12:13 PM

I've tagged 16 on my card, 10 from Wind and Drano and 6 keepers from the Yakima with over that many released.( not bad for battin cleanup after my customers go in for the day) Of which they boated 71 keepers and released 14 more....
and if the water cleans up a bit, we'll bang a couple more. laugh
Posted by: Fish Jesus

Re: How many springers have you caught? - 06/03/02 08:50 PM

85 fish on for you clients? eek

Good job...Bob! cool

FJ...out.
Posted by: finclipped

Re: How many springers have you caught? - 06/04/02 09:37 AM

Its been a great year for me. 21 take downs, 14 landed, 6-8 of those handed off. I fished everywhere, (except the Wind river gorge) but had the best luck below Bonneville and mouth of the Wind.