South Sound Fishing Report

Posted by: Downriggin

South Sound Fishing Report - 05/24/02 07:08 PM

Gang,

South Sound is on fire right now! Been fishing Lyle Pt, Oro Bay, Pt Gibson and the Fox Island sand spit the last week and a half now. Fishing is so good, I took vacation! Tons of bait and tons of fish. Nailed this Blackmouth last night at the spit. Bait Buster behind a flasher at 42" did the trick. If you haven't tried the BB, I strongly urge you to do so. Wow, what a bait/lure! Fish are averaging 8-10 pounds mixed with some Springers to 20#.

Downriggin'
Posted by: Easy Limits

Re: South Sound Fishing Report - 05/25/02 01:30 AM

Nice Blackmouth! eek
Posted by: trailrat77

Re: South Sound Fishing Report - 05/25/02 11:10 AM

Thanks for the report Downriggin......

Nice feesh.....

Now if I could just get my buddy to dig his boat of of the garage and quit waiting for July 1st...

Gonna have to plant a bug in his son's ear, that should do it.....
Posted by: 5000D

Re: South Sound Fishing Report - 05/25/02 11:24 PM

Nice Fish! What's a baitbuster??????????????
Posted by: Never Enough Nookie

Re: South Sound Fishing Report - 05/26/02 01:18 PM

Good question 5000D, I have never heard of or seen one at the shops. Can you give us a hint Downriggin, or send a picture, I would love to try them, they seem to work.

NEN
Posted by: Dances with salmon

Re: South Sound Fishing Report - 05/26/02 03:12 PM

Thanks Downriggin

It's nice to have somebody thats willing to share a fishing report with other people. Some folks seem to think that if they share any information they are going to ruin the fishing for themselves. Anyway, it's nice to have somebody that knows that there are enough fish for us all.

I'm headed for Gibson this afternoon, will let you know........bill

Re: South Sound Fishing Report - 05/26/02 04:13 PM

Standard disclaimer........ I just fish with them.

As requested... a pix of the Bait Buster .
It is a Velcro strip with a plastic head. What's great about this bait? You can adjust the action to a slow or fast roll- perfect verytime! Peel the strips a part, add scent. Scent holds a lot longer... They can be used alone or w/flasher. Heck, pick up a fish this morning in Oro Bay motor mooching...

If you're looking for 'em, Narrows Marina or Sportco...

Re: South Sound Fishing Report - 05/26/02 08:49 PM

Those things actually work? Unlike last years lure phenom the Grand Slam Bucktail. laugh laugh
Might have to pick me up one.

Re: South Sound Fishing Report - 05/26/02 11:05 PM

Easy L,

Same thought went through my mind when I first saw it. "You must be kiddin!" Well, I guess I am hooked now... But I am not going to question success... the darn thing is pumping out fish for me. Can't wait for July/August!!!!

Downriggin'

Re: South Sound Fishing Report - 05/26/02 11:19 PM

Excellent! Nice to hear about results first hand instead of reading about them in F&H News.

Thanks for the info. cool
Posted by: Dances with salmon

Re: South Sound Fishing Report - 05/27/02 01:29 AM

The south sound wasn't too good to me this afternoon.....Really wild tides didn't help. Guess I better get one of those bait busters. Is there a color that is better than others.....also, who carries them.....bill
Posted by: Jack

Re: South Sound Fishing Report - 05/27/02 01:41 AM

I fish with them also and have been catching lots of fish (even worked at the Wind...Shhhh). Just a heads up for everyone, Narrows Tackle and Marine got another shipment of them in, so get them while you can. I have a feeling that when the word gets out and it gets closer to July/August, they will be harder to find. Jack

Re: South Sound Fishing Report - 05/27/02 08:21 AM

Dances,

The black/glo has been the ticket for me.

Downriggin'
Posted by: Jerry Garcia

Re: South Sound Fishing Report - 05/28/02 08:39 AM

I picked up a couple at Ted's about a month ago---- going to give them a try at Neah Bay in 10 days, because of the velcro you can put quite a bend in it for spin.
Posted by: Fishslayer75

Re: South Sound Fishing Report - 05/28/02 10:34 PM

Thank for the report. I fished 13 2 weeks ago and did pretty well. Hit Fox island and we got 2 in front of the dock and the houses on the hill. About 115 on D.R and 105 ft on water.
Side note, westport is putting out some fish. Recommend you try it.
Posted by: JasonS

Re: South Sound Fishing Report - 05/28/02 11:39 PM

Grand Slam Bucktails produce great. One of the staples I turn to in my boat for Blackmouth. Black and White(Glow) has been hot lately, cop ccar color by coyote. Spoons and lures have not been good to me on the returning Nisqually and Chambers Creek fish. In July and August hard to beat fresh bait from Narrows trolled super slow no flasher no weight (motor mooch off of downrigger). Catch a ton of fish every year up at Southworth Point and Dolphin Point. I drive an hour just to buy my bait at least three times a week.

Jason S
Posted by: ROCKFISH

Re: South Sound Fishing Report - 05/29/02 12:11 AM

hey jason call puget sound herring sales, there shop is in purdy and gig harbor. 3$ a dozen fresh last year during salmon season they always had bunches you pick the size. look in the business white pages. call purdy first they are usually packing them in the evening to go to westport and some where in oregon for the morning charters daily. so there killed that eveing. my buddy is one of there drivers. gig harbor right by tides tavern they have them live so there always fresh. Ben
Posted by: 5000D

Re: South Sound Fishing Report - 05/31/02 02:23 AM

Thanks Downriggin for the info on the Baitbuster. Tight lines to you!
Posted by: kingfisherman

Re: South Sound Fishing Report - 06/01/02 11:32 PM

rolleyes rolleyes HA Trialrat I have a daughter you must be talking about the other guy. I would just tell his son and take the boat he does not catch fish anyway.