Lure Paint and Closing Sale

Posted by: Microfish

Lure Paint and Closing Sale - 05/28/02 12:32 AM

Any recommendations on a particular type or brand of paint for jig heads? Tried using several types from the hobbie store, but can't seem to find one that doesn't chip away easily. I also tried to paint some cheaters, but no bites. Think the paint smell makes them less appealing to the fish?

By the way, the Kmart in Bellevue is shutting down - if you don't mind picking through loose boxes of stuff, there are quite a few staples (hooks, swivels, etc) remaining, but going fast.
Posted by: JacobF

Re: Lure Paint and Closing Sale - 05/28/02 01:04 AM

I actually like the Powder Paint. You heat your jig head (or whatever you want to paint) and then dip it in the powder and the powdar just melts right to it. After you get a few painted, hang them from your oven wrack and bake them. That makes them really solid and they don't chip easily at all.

Powder Paint is sold at Auburn Sports & Marine and Outdoor Emporium. If those places aren't near you, call some sporting goods stores in your area.
Posted by: Flytier

Re: Lure Paint and Closing Sale - 05/29/02 07:12 PM

Hi Microfish,
I build hundreds of jigs in many styles and sizes for customers and I have found that a good acrylic latex works just about as good as any. Once I have dipped the jigs into the paint and have let them dry for at least 24 hrs, I do dip my own jigs into a jar of spar varnish. It puts a hard coat finish on you jigs. Even though this process is a little more time consuming, the results come out great. Good luck tying.
Posted by: Dave D

Re: Lure Paint and Closing Sale - 05/30/02 10:00 AM