Theives at Mercer Island Boat Ramp

Posted by: GutZ

Theives at Mercer Island Boat Ramp - 05/29/02 02:59 PM

Monday morning we pulled into the Mercer Island ramp on Lake Washington. There were two police cars there and the police boat. Wasn't sure what was going on but as soon as I stepped up to pay the launch fee I knew...

!!! $7.00 per vehicle !!!

Even if you are just parking with no trailer. This is rediculous. Are they searching for the maximum amount of money a boater is willing to pay? I figured all the police were there to keep someone from ripping their pay box out by the roots.

Thanks Mercer Island rolleyes
Posted by: kalamabama

Re: Theives at Mercer Island Boat Ramp - 05/29/02 03:36 PM

OUCH!!!!
PS how did the cow treat you and smurf??
Posted by: FISHNBRAD

Re: Theives at Mercer Island Boat Ramp - 05/29/02 07:17 PM

That is where the police keep the pursuit boat for the area.
Posted by: Eddie L

Re: Theives at Mercer Island Boat Ramp - 05/29/02 11:49 PM

If you use the launch alot you can buy a annual boat launch pass for $35.00 .

Fee Information
$ 7 / Day Pay at parking permit meter at the boat launch.
$35 / Resident Annual Pass This pass is valid Jan 1 - Dec 31. A copy of the towing vehicles registration and a piece of identification to verify residency is required.
$70 / Non-Resident Annual Pass This pass is valid Jan 1 - Dec 31. A copy of the towing vehicles registration is required.

Annual Boat Launch Parking Permits can be obtained at the Community Center at Mercer View.

Mercer Island boat launch
Posted by: Kid Sauk

Re: Theives at Mercer Island Boat Ramp - 05/30/02 10:24 AM

7 bucks......ouch! That's a little more than the norm, eh? If they are going to make you bend over and take it like that, then they might as well put the pay box on the ground! eek
Posted by: Dave D

Re: Theives at Mercer Island Boat Ramp - 05/30/02 10:59 AM

Last time I was at Lake Sammamish the launch fee was $3.00. Anyone know what it is now?

Re: Theives at Mercer Island Boat Ramp - 05/30/02 01:27 PM

...put the paybox on the ground! LMAO

If thier intention was to drive off users, I think this will work quite well.
Posted by: Little Fish

Re: Theives at Mercer Island Boat Ramp - 05/30/02 02:26 PM

I think Lake Sammamish is 5 bucks. I found the 7 fee on Mercer excessive.
Posted by: Eddie L

Re: Theives at Mercer Island Boat Ramp - 05/30/02 08:30 PM

Stan Sayers boat launch is $5.00, and the annual launching permit is $80.00 .
Maybe they(City)is gonna charge for using the porta-potty(Honey Buckets)in the future. smile
Posted by: Mike C

Re: Theives at Mercer Island Boat Ramp - 05/31/02 12:21 AM

My guess is it will only be a short matter of time before $7 becomes the norm. Ouch.
Posted by: Dogfish

Re: Theives at Mercer Island Boat Ramp - 05/31/02 12:30 AM

That is one heck of a nice launch. If folks don't start to pony up for what they use, we won't have any access. What do you spend on the rest of your gear and gas to get there. $7 seems reasonable to me. If we who use the resource don't pay, we won't have the resource. Just my opinion.

Andy
Posted by: Mike C

Re: Theives at Mercer Island Boat Ramp - 05/31/02 07:37 AM

I agree except that the old saying "a rising tide lifts all ships" applies double when it comes to tax increases. I've never used the Mercer Island ramp but I'll bet the other ramps on the lake creep up to $7. And I'm not opposed to the concept of a user tax targeting the user rather than a general fund tax. I guess it's a question of when is it too much? I'd like to see the actual cost to mainain the ramp and then the revenue the ramp generates, otherwise we are just practising guesswork as to what the launch fee should be. So it boils down to is the increase justified to maintain the ramp? It would be nice if Mercer Island would post that at the ramp for the users to see. It would go a long ways toward helping users to understand why they are being asked to pay $7 to launch a boat.
Posted by: Easy Limits

Re: Theives at Mercer Island Boat Ramp - 06/01/02 11:24 PM

Spanaway Lake launch is $7 too. Talk about outrageous! Seven bucks to put up with A-HOLE PWC users and skiers on a 200 acre lake. That is money well spent. mad laugh

Re: Theives at Mercer Island Boat Ramp - 06/03/02 08:32 PM

It's not just a launch fee. I drove over to meet someone with the boat. It was $7.00 to park.

I'm not sure but I believe that the launch was put in by the DOT when they built I-90. It would seem that road taxes, etc would have been used to cover the cost of building the launch. I have no idea what it must cost to maintain the launch. I would expect that they make a fine little profit at $7.00.

Sweyolocken is horrible but free.

Whats the fee at Newport?