Egg-centric behavior

Posted by: Kahuna Tuna

Egg-centric behavior - 05/30/02 02:18 AM

A friend of mine called and said he's got a bunch of egg skiens to give me to cure, unfortunately in order to keep them from spoiling while he was gone, he put them in a freezer. Does anybody know if the is a way to succesfully cure eggs that have been frozen?

Da Tuna
Posted by: Bob D

Re: Egg-centric behavior - 05/30/02 09:22 AM

It just depends on what they look like when they thaw! If there white right now when frozen then there probably ruined. They will make exellent crab or shrimp bait though! Just thaw them out and if they dont deflate and are the right color then cure away! And let us know!

Bob D
Posted by: cohoangler

Re: Egg-centric behavior - 05/30/02 03:56 PM

I had a similar "frozen egg" experience last year.

The advice I was given was to prepare a borax/salt/sugar solution as outlined in the Tips section of this BB (a cup of each in two quarts of water). Place the frozen egg skiens into the solution and leave them there until they're completely thawed. This will thaw the eggs and cure them in one step. If you want them dyed, be sure to add some Pro-cure bait dye to the solution. Strain and dry them on paper towels, cut into golf ball sized chunks, roll them in Borax and store them in the freezer. My experience was good and the eggs came out just fine. However, they milk out rather quickly once they're on a hook so change them often when you're fishing. Good luck.