ever do drift boat Butt?

Posted by: fp2

ever do drift boat Butt? - 05/30/02 11:49 PM

Rowed the Drift Boat out into Cook Inlet today with Craig and Steve and did a limit of Butt. A great time for us. 20 feet of water.

fp2

Posted by: rcl187

Re: ever do drift boat Butt? - 05/31/02 12:58 AM

Those are butt's. smile I've caught 4 off the docks in ketchikan that were over 80lbs. I'd imagine your excuse for catching the babies is that the big ones wouldn't fit in the boat or that you had troubles gaffing them and pulling them in ... right
Posted by: AkKings

Re: ever do drift boat Butt? - 05/31/02 02:12 AM

RCL, catching big butts off the docks in Ketchikan isn't much of a feat considering the canneries are dumping tons of chum into the narrows, if you want to level the playing field, get a mile out of town and see how many butts you catch. I'd take a limit of those little guys any day. laugh
Posted by: Sparkey

Re: ever do drift boat Butt? - 05/31/02 02:41 AM

fp2
Dude...there is like this other dude on the board that posts as fp...any relation?? wink
Posted by: rcl187

Re: ever do drift boat Butt? - 05/31/02 11:02 AM

akkings ~ Fishing's actually better a mile out of town. There are a bunch of straits that meet and halibut just stack up - you could even ask the guides who only make about a 15 minute run to the fishing grounds. We've caught fish all over that part of AK - it's amazing how many fish are up there. The trick to getting big ones is the bait. No less than 1/2 a humpy. sometimes even a whole one.
Posted by: Hohhum

Re: ever do drift boat Butt? - 05/31/02 01:56 PM

I was working out of the upper end of George inlet last summer. Fished for butts every other day. Cought alot of them,smallest was 64lb largest 137lb.Had lots of fun.If you head up that way try fishing about 200yds out from the mouth of the White river.Pinks are the best bate.Good luck and don't catch them all.The sockeye start coming in to George inlet in mid Aug. laugh laugh cool
Posted by: fp2

Re: ever do drift boat Butt? - 06/02/02 10:18 PM

Well it looks like there are several bigger Butts out there than the ones I posted.

Thanks to Coho he has "2 Butts in a Drift Boat" too. rolleyes

Same guy Sparkey just a different PC in AK...
Posted by: Coho

Re: ever do drift boat Butt? - 06/03/02 12:10 PM

laugh

Thanks fp