Halibut question?

Posted by: Mike L.

Halibut question? - 06/23/02 11:16 AM

Just returned from SE Ak. and my question is: If fishing for halibut without a depth finder, are you better off anchoring and letting the fish come to you, or do you drift with the tide and go to the fish? I drifted, and while I caught some fish, I was told that was not really the proper way to do it. What do you all think? Just trying to figure out if I need to adjust my methods. By the way, I was fishing out of a small boat in relatively shallow water.(100 ft or less)
As a side note the king fishing was fantastic. I spent a lot more time fighting fish than fishing for them. All salmon fishing was in salt water, as river fishing here seems to be a snagging show, which I don't condone.
Posted by: AkKings

Re: Halibut question? - 06/23/02 12:40 PM

Mike L. I spent 5 summers guiding out of Ketchikan and 6 out of Craig and can count on 1 hand how many times I anchored. There are quite a few guys that do anchor up for butts around Ketchikan and I actually think that it is probably more productive if your targeting larger fish, but I rarely had to target them and didn't like to hassle with the whole anchoring process.
On the west side of P.O.W. Is. (Craig area) there are few if any guys that anchor for halibut, I don't really know why it hasn't caught on there other then most of fishing is done on open water with alot of various species of fish available and it just seems more productive to cover water rather then sit on anchor, there are alot of areas that in 1 half-mile drift you can put kings, silvers, butts and lings in the box in 1 drift, did that on a regular basis.
Another factor is that most of the halibut grounds (that I fished anyways) were pushing 180-200 ft deep.
Lastly, there doesn't seem to be many charters around Craig that target big butts, some (me included) promote releasing the really big ones, like I mentioned earlier, if I were looking for big fish I might anchor but I really don't see much need to go through the hassle when the halibut fishing is as easy as it is just drifting.
Posted by: cordog

Re: Halibut question? - 06/23/02 07:05 PM

i spent one summer guiding for a resort out of gustavus,ak. mainly trophy halibut. what i found was that when the tides were moving good we would anchor. 1 hr. before and 1 hr after slack we would drift. The main thing is to keep your bait on the bottom.