Prawn pots, how?, where?, bait? area 7 orcas area

Posted by: yoadrian

Prawn pots, how?, where?, bait? area 7 orcas area - 07/15/02 11:43 PM

I recently purchaced a 20 ft whaler revenge and like to fish and eat salmon. But my wife doesn't eat salmon but likes Prawns. She forced me to get a prawn pot. I know a little about what to do, I am looking for info as to where to place the pots, and in how many feet of water. I have heard many different theories and most have not produced like I expected. I recently set the pot off of racoon point on orcas and got a total of 7 spotted prawns. If any body has any helpful info I would really appreciate it. I need to keep the wife happy so I can continue to fish as often as possible.
Posted by: Speyguy

Re: Prawn pots, how?, where?, bait? area 7 orcas area - 07/16/02 01:05 AM

Hey, I'm no expert but this is what I know. Being detritus eaters, they like holes that funnel the "debris" to them. Look for stuff no deeper than 250 if you don't have a puller. Favorite spot drops from 120-250,300 quickly and is a broad area. Use the carcases from your filet, especially bottom fish. Throw in a pierced can of some nasty,oily,outdated seafood product from the local outdated food place. Spend the money and buy all weighted line as it is smoother and easier to pull/roll up. Tie 4 2-4 lb cannonballs in the corners so it goes down flat. Rig a pulley over edge of boat to make it easier
Posted by: Divers

Re: Prawn pots, how?, where?, bait? area 7 orcas area - 07/16/02 01:13 AM

If its prawns that will keep you on the water fishing and you cant produce , go buy a 10Lb. bag and tell her you got themin your pot. This way you can continue to fish. Just make sure to produce the prawns during open season only, other wise there might be some questions. eek
I recommend doing this every 4 or 5 outing. :p