what # test line

Posted by: BERKLEY BOY75

what # test line - 07/31/02 11:27 AM

im wondering what pound test line does everyone use here for kings, im still undecided about whether i should use the 14# berkley xt or the 17# xt, or 15# ande..but ive heard that ande lines stretch, say after a few big fish the stuff is no good, is that true, i really like ande...
Posted by: spokey9

Re: what # test line - 07/31/02 12:25 PM

in my opinion it depends on where and how you fish for 'em. off docks i use 20 lb flourocarbon for fishing bobbers 40 to 70 ft deep, and for buzz bombs and casting cutplugs i use 12lb flourcarbon. the flourcarbon line sinks a lot faster than regular mono and that lets you keep you offering down deep a little longer on your retreive. for out in a boat i use 25lb izorline or mccoy's i haven't had any problems with the line breaking. i hope that helps
Posted by: 4Salt

Re: what # test line - 07/31/02 12:26 PM

If I'm targeting kings, I'll usually use #20. That, and my Loomis 1086 get the job done pretty well.
Posted by: Big Bad Voodoo Daddy

Re: what # test line - 07/31/02 12:36 PM

Hey did you say bobber fishing for kings??? you can do that??

Re: what # test line - 07/31/02 02:03 PM

i will be fishing rivers, unless easy limits takes me out in his boat to hit the kings in commencement bay (hint hint), big bad, i have caught springers with bobber and jig, also bobber herring setup works well too.. **berkley boy**
Posted by: Easy Limits

Re: what # test line - 07/31/02 02:25 PM

BB75, I guess it is getting to be that time huh? Commencement opens up tomorrow. A lot of us are still waiting for Elliott Bay to start producing. It is usually the first bay to get fish. All of the salt water area seem to be slow to get going so far this year. Even Redondo has been unusually slow for this time of year.

I will keep ya posted.
Posted by: NewBieFishermen

Re: what # test line - 07/31/02 02:55 PM

I have been out fishing the Redondo arrive 4 times now and haven't caught anything good. I don't have a trolling motor so could anyone give me so tips? I tried mooching herring but I don't know if it's spinning down there. What jigs work good or other methods? thanks, newbie
Posted by: Kevin

Re: what # test line - 07/31/02 03:01 PM

If you pull the herring through the water and it has a nice tight spin thats what you are looking for. You might want to try to motor mooch too. Put the bait down to the bottom and engage the motor foward then disengage to let the herring go back down if you get slack hammer it. Good luck.

Kevin
Posted by: Downriggin

Re: what # test line - 07/31/02 03:54 PM

My preference is 20# Izorline for the mainline. As far as a leader 20# Izorline f/carbon or Maxima for spoons. 50# (sometimes 60#) f/carbon for hootchies/flies.

Downriggin'

Re: what # test line - 07/31/02 06:03 PM

im going to sporto tonite, is the izorline more superior than berkley xt for resisting fraying?
Posted by: Downriggin

Re: what # test line - 07/31/02 08:45 PM

They are about the same... The Izorline f/carbon has superior non-fraying qualities. Izorline is a little cheaper to boot. If you are looking for a great non-fray line, I would then go for Maxima (IMO). However, I have yet to break off any fish on Izorline. Matter of fact, I haven't had a problem scraping the bottom for Winter Blackmouth either.

Downriggin'
Posted by: ROCKFISH

Re: what # test line - 07/31/02 09:53 PM

mccoy,ande, big game its all the best
Posted by: Sullie

Re: what # test line - 07/31/02 10:02 PM

i would recomend to use 20lb. test for kings. i use 20lb and a 8'6 abu garcia rod and have no trouble.
Posted by: glowball

Re: what # test line - 08/01/02 12:07 AM

I wouldn't be caught dead using berkly or stren. Izorline is far superior to any line I've ever used. I pulled a 17# silver out of the cowlitz last year on 6# test(that was just one of a double digit fish day) If you can't find it go with maxima. Not only are these lines stronger but you won't have line coming off the spool (of spinng reels) in big globs. Yes i do know how to put line on.
good luck to ya
Posted by: spokey9

Re: what # test line - 08/01/02 12:27 AM

hey big bad vodoo daddy, yeah you can bobber fish kings. ever see the really big slip bobbers at the tackle shop the one that'll a 2 to 3oz. banana weight. take one of those and set your stop so your about 30 to 70 ft(it's best if fishing from a pier or bank that's got some depth to it) and use a banana weight and salmon leader with a cut-plug, and that's how it's done. the best pier i've found for running bobbers is les davis in tacoma not to many people salmon fish that dock cuz there's not alot of fish that come up but when they're hitting they average around 18# or so