San Juan Island Reports

Posted by: jeff'e'd

San Juan Island Reports - 08/09/02 06:13 PM

I hope to make it out there next week. Anybody getting any kings?
Posted by: Finegrain

Re: San Juan Island Reports - 08/09/02 07:08 PM

Don't know about Kings, but my buddy reported gobs of coho jumping near the S. end of Henry Island this past weekend.

Regards.

Mike
Woodinville
Posted by: mikvin

Re: San Juan Island Reports - 08/11/02 09:31 PM

Fished all last week. Fishing was slow but managed to boat a few nice kings. More kings were showing yesterday, I saw one at the dock just shy of 40 lbs. Eagle point is were most the boats were going today. Only saw one small silver caught.
Posted by: Jerry Garcia

Re: San Juan Island Reports - 08/12/02 08:53 AM

Fine grain, I think what your buddy saw was sockeye, as the commercial netters were thick off Eagle Point that weekend.
Posted by: jeff'e'd

Re: San Juan Island Reports - 08/19/02 01:20 PM

I just got back from fishing the west side of San Juan (Eagle Pt) and had a good experience. I went out on Friday afternoon, got to Salmon banks about 1:30pm and picked up a couple of nice silvers within an hour or so. Then the killer whales showed up in full force. While there was a couple of them behind my boat, my right downrigger went off with a nice king, the whales didn't go after him thankfully!!! It seemed incredible to me that I was catching fish even with whales around. I picked up one more king and my son and I stopped fishing due to our limit and headed for our moorage spot up the Island at Garrison Bay. I went out the next morning and picked up one more king just outside the harbor by spieden passage and lost one big king that made a couple of nice runs, but got off. That Friday was one of my best day's fishing in the San Juans and a day that I won't forget for a long time. It was also neet to see the whales breaching all the way out of the water.