skookumchuck river

Posted by: hobiecat

skookumchuck river - 09/12/02 04:46 PM

ive been by the skook but never fished it, when is a good time for salmon and some tips that would help put some fish in the freezer
Posted by: jayjos

Re: skookumchuck river - 09/12/02 04:49 PM

if you catch fish you can put them in your freazer
Posted by: BtmBounce

Re: skookumchuck river - 09/12/02 05:36 PM

hobiecat, The Skook will open from 16 Oct to 30 Nov for salmon. Living in Rainier, I usually chase the steelies in March.
Posted by: LittleZoZo

Re: skookumchuck river - 09/13/02 05:25 AM

Hobiecat...... The Skook is a small river that cant take much pressure, so thanks for putting it up on the world wide web..... Dumbass!
Posted by: linestretcher

Re: skookumchuck river - 09/13/02 08:22 AM

Hey lil zo zo,calling somebody a dumbass for asking about a river (months to fish,water clarity,water levels) is not being a dumdass.But telling him on the www that it's a small river and can't take a lot of pressure makes one's curiostity start to go mmmm what are you trying to keep a secret!!!By the way,who told you!I guess he was another D.A. See ya there.
Posted by: glowball

Re: skookumchuck river - 09/13/02 09:22 AM

Just for that comment I might round up everybody I know and head on up there. Maybe you need to watch your index finger a little. See ya there lil do do
Posted by: plug puller

Re: skookumchuck river - 09/13/02 12:44 PM

ZOZO,
I stand with you on that. Those people only have a few posts so they don't know what to post and when. it would of gone a lot smooth without the dumbass though wink
everyone else,
on this board posters don't like to talk about smalll rivers. Some get upset because there are alot of "lurkers" that look and go fishig where they see good reports and people braging about a river or fishery.
This is not a bashing thread just trying to give everyone a heads up. laugh
I am sounding so much like me mom, damn it
eek wink
Posted by: KurtF

Re: skookumchuck river - 09/13/02 12:59 PM

ZoZo, YOU are the dumbass. Hobiecat just asked a question.

Like every person who drives I-5 doesn't know where the Skook is. rolleyes

Re: skookumchuck river - 09/13/02 01:09 PM

Plugy and Do Do, you two nead to get your head out of the eeg jar and realize the skook is not some big secret and even if it was hobie's license fee's and taxes pay for his right to fish there just as mutch as yours dose.

Re: skookumchuck river - 09/13/02 02:28 PM

Alright, Alright. Sorry about the Dumbass comment. Look, it was after 2:00 AM and I'd just gotten home from closing the bar down..... Maybe I shouldn't drink and post. Anyhow, just take the Dumbass thing for what it was worth; just the sensless ramblings of someone who has had too much to drink. On a more serious note: I know the Skookumchuck is no secret, but Dear God, how many times do we have to go over the whole thing of not posting the small rivers and streams on the BB before it finally starts to sink in. I mean, its no big deal for those of you who live up north, you can just post whatever and not really see any consequences for your actions because you're not posting about rivers that are close to where you live. Hell, all the good zipperlips up your way are gone. Now you're coming down this way, and that's fine, but excercize a little bit of discretion when coming down to fish in my neck of the woods..... Don't bring EVERYONE who works at Boeing with you and please, please don't publicize these rivers on the web for the entire free world to see..... Save that crap for Fishing and Hunting News, they do a good enough job of getting the zipperlip rivers out there for everyone to see.

Hey Jayjos, I got three words for you; "HOOKED ON PHONICS"

Re: skookumchuck river - 09/13/02 02:40 PM

some people are uneducated to the point that they cant make a educated coment on the point at hand. They have to make pointless dig's that have no relivance. ( egg ) Can you sleep tonight now?
Posted by: Maguana

Re: skookumchuck river - 09/13/02 03:13 PM

Last year on Holloween me and my buddy hooked a 100 kings in 5 hours on the Skookumchuck. Landed 70 of em.

Re: skookumchuck river - 09/13/02 04:29 PM

"Mutch"=Much, & "Dose"=Does. Also "coment" is actually spelled "Comment". You did figure out how to spell "egg" though, so Good show on that one. There! Now I can sleep!
Posted by: PhishPhreak

Re: skookumchuck river - 09/13/02 04:51 PM

By directing crackers down south - it keeps the crowds down on my local streams. Why should you guys down there have those quiet little streams to yourselves and we get stuck with all the crackers messing up our waters up here? By giving folks more options - it helps spread the crowds all over the state instead of just on the S... Oops - don't want to give out my rivers smile

Re: skookumchuck river - 09/13/02 05:42 PM

I thought we were on here to talk about fishing, but if you like i'm sure there are some good chat rooms to discuss grahmer.

Re: skookumchuck river - 09/14/02 04:10 AM

GRAMMER
Posted by: BERKLEY BOY75

Re: skookumchuck river - 09/14/02 10:25 AM

lol, zozo.....
Posted by: fromcuthroattosteelies

Re: skookumchuck river - 09/14/02 11:00 AM

I have gas!
Posted by: Timber

Re: skookumchuck river - 09/14/02 11:45 AM

I agree with you zozo dumass was good enough..
Looks to me like all thats bashin ya is a bunch of newbee's. They evidently were not present when we have had heated debates on posting about small rivers.
globall just wants to round up everyone he knows so he can make a mineral lake out of the chuck..

KurtF maybe they do know where it is but 99.9% of the folks driving over ot wouldnt think to fish it..But of course not that you read it on here I'm sure you will.

I have fished this river for 25years and since the web I have seen the rise in fishermen.

TM
Posted by: Steelheader69

Re: skookumchuck river - 09/14/02 12:21 PM

Hey Maguana, have a question for you. You said "Last year on Holloween me and my buddy hooked a 100 kings in 5 hours on the Skookumchuck. Landed 70 of em." Hmmmmm, where you using snagging gear and reefing fish in? If you hooked up on EVERY cast, I mean you land that fish, literally release it and turn around and recast and hook another. If you averaged only a 10 minute battle (which is relative short with kings). Between you and your buddy (which would be 2 people) it would take you guys 9 hours EACH to hook up your 50 each (splitting the 100 between 2 of you). Hmmmm, sounds a bit farfetched, doesn't it? I've had some hardcore multi fish days, but it's funny how most guys won't think #'s before they speak. They simply put a figure out. I've had 45-55 fish days on certain rivers. That was fishing just before sunup to darkness just after sundown.

I'd say that was simply a post by you to intice guys to definitely go there. Please don't say "Well it did happen", because unless you're snagging or a freak of nature who can make time stand still, it didn't happen like you said. Now, add "Me and my 3 or 4 buddies, then that's a possibility). Can't beat the clock there.

And onto ZoZo's and TM's point. Dumbass shouldn't have been said, but their points ring true. The rag mags are bad enough, but to post on here is plainly stupid. I've fished the river quite a bit myself, and would never think of posting on here (same with other rivers I fish). No, it's not a zipper, but still not that well known either. All it takes is one look in a Gazateer for the "I-5" crowd and won't take long to find a spot to fish, or find where the crowds are. Plus, from jayjos and hobiecat's posts and the way you spell, I'd say you're late teens, VERY early 20's max. It seems lately most of the posts that are "hot" threads are simply put on here to fire some people up.

Linestretcher, there doesn't have to be a dumbass to tell about a small river. Especially if you live in the area. I know a few zippers I've found on my own. NOBODY gave me a clue. Hell, I showed my Dad the river in question and he had no idea there would be fish in it (and he's fished here since the 40's). I've never seen another angler on the river, and has a limited run. But I checked out regs and found out it was open. Simple enough. Plus, alot of us have had to earn any knowledge we have of rivers from our parents. And most were only given to us because we showed we were true fisherman. My Dad started me out very simple on the Puyallup. Once I proved I could handle it and was good about setting up my own tackle, taking care of it, and handling my own fish, I was given bits of info on certain rivers. Plus, alot of us who live close to a river, or have fished it all our lives, actually LOVE the river. We don't bend to the "hot spot" and drive 3 hours out of our way to fish it. We stick to our rivers and fish them (plus, once you actually know a river intimately, you have more of a chance to get hookups when the river is said to be "dead").

Ok, i'm off my soapbox
Posted by: Kilo

Re: skookumchuck river - 09/14/02 02:41 PM

I'm a lurker, but I check this site to see what river will be ruined. That is NOT a joke even though you might think it's funny.

I'm with my fellow Southerners. You Northerners just keep on driving to the Columbia or better yet... too California.

Re: skookumchuck river - 09/14/02 05:02 PM

Good point. You wouldn't want to send some city slickers who know how to read the regs down there and ruin those SW redneck's snagg - er fishing holes for them. Besides, last time I fished the skook, I swear I could hear dueling banjos as I was being stared at by a toothless hick and his cousin\brother. eek

Seriously now - lighten up. This world has much bigger issues worth getting worked up about...

Re: skookumchuck river - 09/14/02 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by PhishPhreak:
ruin those SW redneck's snagg - er fishing holes for them.
Whats your point? I have fished the chuck for years and seen very little snaggin..So maybe you could elaborate more on your comment..

You can sure tell you alll that arent very familier with the Chuck because it seems you all wanna call it the skook....there's the skok and the chuck to different rivers...so to all you city slickers that have crossed it on I-5 or fished it once SHUT UP!!!

Re: skookumchuck river - 09/14/02 07:24 PM

LOL.

I was just kidding - sheesh.

If you must know - I grew up SW Washington. Mainly in Centralia (and a some in Rochester, Chehalis, and Onalsaska). And gosh, what do you know, the skook runs right through Centralia!! Call is the 'chuck' if you want - but me and all my buddies down there call it the skook. I've probably spent more time inner tubing it than fishing it - but I have caught my fair share of fish out of there.
Posted by: scottguides

Re: skookumchuck river - 09/14/02 07:32 PM

seems to me if posts like this were left unanswered it would of been of the page in 2 days.those that wanted to help hobiecat could of e-mailed him with some advice on the smaller rivers.people getting mad at others for answering adds curiousity to the rivers resulting in more pressure ect.ect.
silence is golden and curiosity killed the cat. wink scott
Posted by: trailrat77

Re: skookumchuck river - 09/14/02 07:51 PM

Well said Scotty....

Good point...........

Can you say kneejerk?
Posted by: bodysurf

Re: skookumchuck river - 09/14/02 11:30 PM

seems less crowded now that the smolt plants are a third of what they were a few years ago...only 30k...used to be 90k...but it sure seems like combat fishin' there when coho show up....yuck....i don't go there for salmon...
Posted by: Big Jim

Re: skookumchuck river - 09/14/02 11:46 PM

I think this river is too small for snagging. First good jerk and the weight would smack someone in the head. That may explain the rednecks though. laugh Fast turn of the head, POW in the neck. I hunt and fish out there and year after year more people show up. As I have said before if you want peace and quite, hike your butt up into the mountains about ten miles. Up there only you and a maybe one other person on a body of water. If you think you will have it down here on a river with any type of fish run in it, you are going to be mistaken and real soon at that. Too many people moving here. Too many people know every zipper lip. I may even one day get bored and put every small body of water wih fish in it on this board. Fishing is about having fun and sharing the good times with good people. Except during peak run times. Then it is duck and cover. I think any person who calls himself a fisherman would never call anyone a dumbass for asking a fishing question. Especially one who closes bars down. Those types are usually the dumbass.

Re: skookumchuck river - 09/15/02 12:15 AM

Hey Jayjos.... I totally missed this one, so I appologize, but in your origional post you spelled "Freezer" F-R-E-A-Z-E-R, when it really should be spelled F-R-E-E-Z-E-R. Don't beat yourself up about it too bad, English is a complex language and sometimes it can be hard to sound out a word like "freezer", or "egg". Anyhow, sorry I missed that one the first time around.

Big Jim, I'm surprised by your stand point on this subject. I usually agree with 99% of what you post...... Not the case this time.
Posted by: glowball

Re: skookumchuck river - 09/15/02 08:34 AM

Oh my I'd hate for you'll to have a sowlitz river on your hands. I'm sure this message board had nothing to do with any of the extra fisherman coming on DOWN and littering up our banks. I'm not blaming this site (mostly f&h news is to blame) but it did help the cause. Everyone has a right to fish anywhere they want. All you did by making a big deal out of it was remind everyone that it is a good river to fish. By the way I wouldn't blame this site totally for your increased fishing pressure blame the border patrol down on the columbia for allowing so many californians to keep on coming.
almost forgot lil do do how do ya spell the supercalifragilisticexpy something or nother. oh well you'll fix it for me. LOL

Re: skookumchuck river - 09/15/02 12:32 PM

Wow, I can feel the LOVE on this board. Look Guys, It's not that big a deal. Somebody posted about a small stream, and I got pissed off about it. I called the guy a Dumbass, and everyone else got pissed off about that. Soooooo, I came back and tried to explain myself, you know, kind of smooth things over and try to put some of these newbies on the same page as the rest of us........ Nothing doing! Everyone still wants to pick away at each other, and that's fine, but I'm bored now. so unless Jayjos spells something wrong again, I'm done here. I'll go flame another thread.
Posted by: Pmartin

Re: skookumchuck river - 09/15/02 01:25 PM

ZoZo - forgot a couple

"nead" = N-E-E-D

"relivance" = r-e-l-E-v-a-n-c-e
wink
Posted by: Maguana

Re: skookumchuck river - 09/15/02 02:38 PM

Re: skookumchuck river - 09/15/02 03:36 PM

Very good PMARTIN. I can't believe I missed those . Thank you for that. You know, I was kind of thinking that maybe we can make a game out of Jayjo's remedial spelling.... Here's how it'll work. Whenever Jayjo puts up a post , we'll all disect it for spelling errors.... Whoever points out the most errors is the winner. Sounds like fun, huh.
Posted by: BASSER

Re: skookumchuck river - 09/15/02 03:57 PM

Quote:

Don't bring EVERYONE who works at Boeing with you
ROFLMAO

You could fit those people in one van.

Re: skookumchuck river - 09/15/02 05:14 PM

Well said scotty!!!!

Re: skookumchuck river - 09/15/02 05:25 PM

ZOZO-I have been on your side all along so daont say everyone disagrees.. wink
Posted by: slippedona%%^^rock

Re: skookumchuck river - 09/15/02 06:47 PM

maybe the offical rules of what can be talked about should be posted. also mention everything thing that has ever been already discussed, so nobody will ever ask a redundent question. god i love censorship its alive and well here on pissed off pursuits. what a bunch of yo-yo's!!!!. i can't believe the people who think rivers are a big freaking secret. shhhhhh, someone might be listening right now. get reel

Re: skookumchuck river - 09/15/02 09:58 PM

Speaking of yo yo's 'slipped and fell on your a$$' you fite the bill !!! Like I said all you city slickers that have drivin over or fished it once SHUT UP!!!!
Posted by: slippedona%%^^rock

Re: skookumchuck river - 09/15/02 10:54 PM

your response is all i need, i rest my case. by the way stick boy, i live on the skook. laugh
Posted by: Big Jim

Re: skookumchuck river - 09/15/02 11:36 PM

L-Z-Z, You can't be perfect all the time. laugh

Re: skookumchuck river - 09/15/02 11:48 PM

Stick boy laugh little do you know!

And who cares that you live on it? you must not give a $hit if it gets packed with people huh?
Posted by: Kilo

Re: skookumchuck river - 09/15/02 11:59 PM

I hate to hear a local talk like you, Slipped. That speaks to what's being lost, a sense of community. And them Northern city slickers from Sea/Tac etc. don't act like guests. I pick up a lot of litter and check the receipts. It's almost all big city bought garbage. I also check the dealership frames around the license plates to see who's who. It don't take to many northern plate frames in the area to dirty the place up.
Posted by: Fish Guy Keith

Re: skookumchuck river - 09/16/02 01:37 AM

Damn I thought this was a fishing site where anglers share info. If not then what is the point of this site at all? Just so you can bash other anglers if they ask about your favorite fishin hole? And no I'm not no city slicker. I've lived in yelm and graham my hole life and I've picked up my share of garbage on this river and I've watched locals as you would call them leave there bags they had there eggs in and all sorts of other junk. Just relax and face it no matter where you live they will eventully find you and fish your favorite hole. Try some prozack people and calm down.
Posted by: linestretcher

Re: skookumchuck river - 09/16/02 08:31 AM

Hey lil zozo,I just had one more comment.Anyone who has to ask fishing questions from a chat room shouldn't be a worry.And you your buddy and his heated debates on small rivers,get a life,most of these post are B.S. Look at how many post you have!wow,some of you guys scare me.Well gotta go,I heard it's hot at hansens farm!up north!