A great way to clean your reel!

Posted by: fromcuthroattosteelies

A great way to clean your reel! - 09/26/02 11:02 AM

Over the last couple of years I've ruined reel after reel while fishing the sandy waters of the Puyallup. It's hard not to get excited and set your rod down when releasing a fish. Most of the time, with your reel sitting in sand. Anyhow, last night I decided to try something new. I soaked my cheap quantum reel in coke overnight. When I got it out this morning it was sparkling clean. I rinsed er' out and lubed er' back up and she feels like the day I bought her. (I was sure that that reel was toast). Give it a shot. smile
Posted by: fish4steel

Re: A great way to clean your reel! - 09/26/02 11:13 AM

The phosphoric acid in Coke will clean most anything. Works great on rusted bolts-put it on and let it sit overnight... Now think about what that stuff does to your stomach lining eek
Posted by: River Rat

Re: A great way to clean your reel! - 09/26/02 08:21 PM

You can use on a ceased moter just take out the spark plug pour in a coke and let sit . I pick up a moped at a yard sale for 20 bucks and rode it back up there an hour later.
Posted by: zig

Re: A great way to clean your reel! - 09/26/02 08:42 PM

Sound like a winner. Another great salt water cleaning trick... I keep a medium size plastic garbage can filled with a Salt Away solution and water, on the side of my garage. Dip all my saltwater gear in it including reels, flashers and even downriggers (manual type only). Everthing comes out squeeky clean.
Posted by: Bart

Re: A great way to clean your reel! - 09/27/02 04:12 PM

A question about the Salt Away. Will it damage the line, especially fly-lines? Sounds like a better solution than rinsing,soaking, rinsing, etc. which I do with rods, reels flies and line after a trip to the Sound. Bart