Ive never seen the rivers this low.

Posted by: Anonymous

Ive never seen the rivers this low. - 10/14/02 12:02 AM

The North Fork of the Clawah is bone dry not even a trickle just a dry river bed. I have never heard or seen this happen before. It goes underground in the headwaters every summer but never dries up down below. This is bad as it is a major spawning trib for salmon and steelhead. All those baby salmon and steelhead that are born in this factory either have been eaten by birds or ran out of water. Not good.
Posted by: Sparkey

Re: Ive never seen the rivers this low. - 10/14/02 12:06 AM

...and did you see the forecast for the upcoming week???

Not a sign of rain...mid-60's and bright sunshine!
Posted by: On The Hook

Re: Ive never seen the rivers this low. - 10/14/02 01:16 AM

RICH G

How bad is the Hoh. My stepdad has property along it and he was curious also about the water levels.
Posted by: Sky-Guy

Re: Ive never seen the rivers this low. - 10/14/02 01:26 AM

I just heard on the News yesterady that we are going to have an El Nino Winter. Warm, Dry and Mild.
Not good for the fish, fishermen, or us Snowboarders!!! frown frown frown

Hope they are wrong...But meteorologists are always right...right? laugh
Posted by: fishaday

Re: Ive never seen the rivers this low. - 10/14/02 12:46 PM

Iwas up in Forks all weekend fishing and the rivers arent low they are absolute dry. I have never seen them this low.
I fished the bark hole saturday and ther were probally 500 silvers stacked four deep for the entire length of the hole. They are so spooky and line shy. I guess i'm clostraphobic, because I felt smothered just looking at them.
The last board on the ramp at the maxfield boat launch is probally 15-20 from the water, there was a deer walking right up the middle of the river just below the launch and I dont even think its knees were wet.
Posted by: spoonman

Re: Ive never seen the rivers this low. - 10/14/02 04:33 PM

I was fishing in the forks area this weekend. the guide I went with stated that the hoh had lowest reading every in the 47 years that gauge had been used. He said that they may close the rivers because the water level is so low.
Posted by: sinker

Re: Ive never seen the rivers this low. - 10/14/02 04:37 PM

Went up to Mt Rainier on Saturday. The entire south side is bare. There's a strip of snow along the top and the bottom but thats it. Never seen so much rock at once.

Went around to the eastside and there's spots where's there's usually pretty good sized waterfalls and right now they're bone dry.
Posted by: kore

Re: Ive never seen the rivers this low. - 10/14/02 05:25 PM

Unfortunately if the rivers remain low......This will only mean that the gillnets will be very effective on the incoming fish. Lets hope for some rain, to let some fish pass.
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: Ive never seen the rivers this low. - 10/14/02 11:39 PM

I heard the same thing the other day. If the rivers dont come up in the next week or so they will close for sport and tribal fishing period untill we get water.
Posted by: glowball

Re: Ive never seen the rivers this low. - 10/15/02 12:08 AM

buddy of mine went up to the queets last weekend to check it out and he said it was real low. He was gonna float it but decided not to cause it was so low. He also said that the injans had the nets strung out pretty thick and if a fish made it through that it was lucky.
Posted by: Sparkey

Re: Ive never seen the rivers this low. - 10/15/02 12:17 AM

Like I said, it sure as Hell is not a pretty forecast!! frown

Posted by: ROCKFISH

Re: Ive never seen the rivers this low. - 10/15/02 01:04 AM

we are doomed
Posted by: Easy Limits

Re: Ive never seen the rivers this low. - 10/15/02 01:25 AM

Ya know what happens during El Nino winters? California gets all of our rain. All of those gazillion dollar ocean side homes get washed out to sea. laugh frown