Blackmouth Time !!!!

Posted by: Downriggin

Blackmouth Time !!!! - 10/17/02 07:05 PM

Hey Gang,

My little girl and I played hookey today...
Fished Green Pt and nailed two footballs at slack tide. I caught mine at 165' on an Army Truck Sonic Edge 42" behind a Glo Green Hotspot and she caught her's at 158'. Same setup- different color spoon- Glo Green Splatter Back.

Due to a slight attitude meltdown...she didn't want her picture taken... We have a shot of the fish nonetheless.

Downriggnin'
Posted by: Divers

Re: Blackmouth Time !!!! - 10/17/02 07:14 PM

Very nice fish Downriggin.
Posted by: Seacat

Re: Blackmouth Time !!!! - 10/17/02 07:18 PM

Green Pt.'s been berry berry good to you Downriggin'. Nice examples of some caught by the textbook blackmouth.
Posted by: Little Fish

Re: Blackmouth Time !!!! - 10/18/02 01:43 PM

Nice Fish Downriggin. I used to fish that area quite a lot as a kid. I would launch at Narrows and run across with my 12' Gamefisher and troll in and around Fox Island with a deep diver six, dodger and herring. Sure glad I lived through childhood, because I can't image running around in the sound with a 12 footer these days.
JMS

Re: Blackmouth Time !!!! - 10/18/02 02:19 PM

Forgot to mention......

There's a metric butt ton of Barkers (Dogfish)out there right now- unusual for this time of year- big ones too. They followed my wires for two hours until I cranked up my black box. I should have taken pictures... At any given time I had at least 8-10 Barkers following us around. It was actually pretty fascinating...

Lastly, if you fish the South Sound, the Sand Spit and Green Point are the places to be right now. There are a lot of fish in especially off the 120' drop at GP (drops to 150/160 in a matter of seconds). For you Chum folks, there are more and more showing everyday along the banks heading towards Minter.

Don't know if folks know this area or not, but seems I am one of a handful of folks fishing here routinely... Rarely has a day gone by without at least one fish in the boat at GP.

Downriggin'

Re: Blackmouth Time !!!! - 10/18/02 02:29 PM

Little Fish,

How long ago? Back in '81/'82 I had my little Klamath at Narrows... We use to have a small get together after school fishing the Spit and GP three or four times a week.

I can remember racing across the Narrow's in that current and chop (lucky to be alive).

.... ah the memories!

Downriggin'
Posted by: Fishslayer75

Re: Blackmouth Time !!!! - 10/18/02 03:00 PM

Oh, are the blackmouth running again? wink j/k
Nice fish downriggin. Thanks for the report laugh
Posted by: Busy

Re: Blackmouth Time !!!! - 10/18/02 03:37 PM

Where is the best place to launch to get to GP? I have never been there. Do you have to have a black box? What is the science behind them?

Re: Blackmouth Time !!!! - 10/18/02 04:11 PM

Busy,

Narrow's Marina is the closest unless you want to drive a little further. I live directly across from Green Pt so it is a short 3 minutes shot for me.

As far as the Black Box it has changed my fishing hook ups percentage ten-fold. All your "box" questioned can be answered at the above web page. This is not what the Scotty BB looks likes however, the principles are the same.

I've included a chart of Green Pt.

Downriggin'
Posted by: Chip Goodhue

Re: Blackmouth Time !!!! - 10/18/02 04:27 PM

Downriggin - Sounds like you have a video system on your rigger cables - Can you tell us more about how you use the camera and black box to target blackmouth. I generally leave the riggers at home and mooch for winter fish, but I'm intrigued.

Thanks.
Posted by: Little Fish

Re: Blackmouth Time !!!! - 10/18/02 05:11 PM

Downriggin'
That was back in '83-'85 when I was in highschool. I certainly had a good time....ignorance is bliss. I scare myself now thinking about some of the water I ran in. If only my parents knew.

Busy,
Although you might not need a "Black Box" I would highly recommend testing your boat to see what kind of electrical current it produces (after you get your downriggers of course). I picked up Box and although I don't have a lot of fishing time in my boat it definitely seems to have improved my success rate. Do a search on this site for several discussions on the topic.
(I know, I know.....so little money.....so much stuff to buy).
JMS

Re: Blackmouth Time !!!! - 10/18/02 05:23 PM

I wish I had a camera system.... Well, maybe not. Wouldn't use it in the Fall/Winter anyways- I fish deep this time of year (150'-250'). I hear they are a pain in the a$$.
I can't say they would be worth the effort other than watching the strikes.

If I did own one, I would be looking for hard or rocky bottoms. I like to ring the dinner bell (bouncing the ball off the bottom). The chart I linked to shows the GP area as sand and mud, but there are real hards spots also.

Downriggin'