What Happened to the Puyallup??????

Posted by: fromcuthroattosteelies

What Happened to the Puyallup?????? - 10/21/02 04:27 PM

It's like someone shut off the "fish faucet." It was dynamite and now is completely dead. Is anyone still hitting them down low. I fish up high but by the looks of things, I'd say it's about over. P.S. When do winter steelies begin showing @ the Queets/Bogie?
Posted by: Steelheader69

Re: What Happened to the Puyallup?????? - 10/21/02 09:52 PM

The Puyallup has always been that way. But I have traditionally fished the tidal waters, not up high (except on rare occasions). Normally you'll have a few weeks of full runs, then dries up fast. I'm sure you can find pockets of them all over the upper river if you look.

I'd say good luck on coast. Unless we get rain I doubt they'll reopen the fisheries. Right now I do believe all of those you quoted are closed for now, but that may be for the salmon only, not steelhead. I haven't checked yet.
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: What Happened to the Puyallup?????? - 10/22/02 06:32 AM

If we had normal flow conditions and a strong run (which is yet to be seen). You may accidently find a winter fish near the hatchery as ealy as now. I ushually start winter steelhead fishing the first week of November as im ushually sick of salmon. Its very hit or miss in early November and If I didnt live 5 minutes from the Bogie hatchery I wouldnt bother untill the end of November.

Ive caught my first winter Bogie brat as early as Oct 3rd and as late as Nov 21st. You just never know.

If we dont get good flows this year I wouldnt bother with the Clawah/Bogie. Low Flow means low escapement of hatchery fish no matter how many fish try and come. Last year was the first good year in the last 4 or so due to high flows. The only thing that saves this fishery is high water and if we dont get it it sucks.
Posted by: hookedonjigs

Re: What Happened to the Puyallup?????? - 10/22/02 11:59 PM

There are plenty of fish up higher, I think they tend to blow through the Puyallup, then go into more of a holding pattern up on the Carbon. I think what I enjoy most is float fishing eggs in some of the deep slow water. Caught two this morning 5# and 7#. The guy next to me was tossing lead and corkies and snagging fish. Both my fish were caught in the mouth. Learn to fish with a float and you can fish all the hard to reach spots next to root wads ect... Because we are approaching the end of the run you have to be willing to throw back some darkies until you get a chromer, but they are in there.
Posted by: BillyBob

Re: What Happened to the Puyallup?????? - 10/23/02 12:04 PM

I saw a guy blatantly snagging fish on the Carbon also. He uses a double hook setup with a 10' pole. It wasn't bad enough that he was snagging, but when he got his limit, he snagged more and handed his pole off to his buddies.
There's nothing you can say to these guys, 'cause they don't care.