Kids and chum

Posted by: Old Chum

Kids and chum - 10/29/02 06:28 PM

Any suggestions for a "simple" lure that I could put on the end of my kid's rod that a chum might like? I use mostly flies but I think that is probably too elaborate at this point. I'm thinking of maybe some type of spinner or small spoon. Any suggestions? Thanks.
Posted by: Coho

Re: Kids and chum - 10/29/02 07:03 PM

Drift gear--yarn and corkie, plunk a shrimper, float and jig, kwikie
Posted by: Little Fish

Re: Kids and chum - 10/29/02 07:29 PM

A cerise jig suspended 24-30 inches under a float works great in the rivers.
Posted by: GutZ

Re: Kids and chum - 10/29/02 07:38 PM

Large Green Corkie. Green Yarn. Stick it in front of thier face. They will smash it! They are Mean and they are Green!
Posted by: elmtree69

Re: Kids and chum - 10/29/02 07:42 PM

A green wooly bugger fly with a small pea size corkie just above it on the leader.
Depending on where, use regular drift gear set up, lead and 16-24 inch leader.

Fun away, use a good pole and real as these fish go wild and can pull like a brick sh#t house.
Posted by: Easy Limits

Re: Kids and chum - 10/29/02 10:00 PM

A guy standing next to me last weekend was using a green Marabou jig. He would let it just sit right on the bottom and the chums would come and pick it up. eek
Posted by: Dave Vedder

Re: Kids and chum - 10/29/02 10:17 PM

While fish can be diffrent every day I find the cerise jig under a float is hard to beat for chums. For years eyeryone was sold on chartreuse, but I have often seen cerise outfish it . Try a Beaumac 1/4 ounce smk 10 jig about three feet under a flaot. Deadly and simple.
Posted by: Old Chum

Re: Kids and chum - 10/30/02 12:01 AM

OK, thanks for the ideas everyone. I'm going to break out an old rod incase he doesn't hold on tight enough. I'm thinking a bobber and a jig and a camera and see what happens. Every year up until now it has been only me and a fly rod on the river having fun with the chum. This year I really want to get my 7 yr. old on the end of one of these bad boys. Thanks again.
Posted by: Matt S.

Re: Kids and chum - 10/30/02 12:29 AM

Have any of you tried the bobber and jig in the salt. Like at Hoodsport. I love using it in the rivers but i'm wondering if it's a good idea in the salt. Thanks
Posted by: Easy Limits

Re: Kids and chum - 10/30/02 01:08 AM

Oh ya, I forgot about the "kids" part. All of the kids that I have seen fishing the Hatchery Zone have a blast. If you have a small kid you may want to hang on to them or a big chum will take them out to sea. laugh
Posted by: PhishPhreak

Re: Kids and chum - 10/30/02 11:45 AM

Bobber and jig will work in the salt. A little shrimp or herring oil can help, as will a chunk of prawn meat. Also, a small herring or anchovie fished under the float can work great too. Let is sit for a while, if no takers, try twitching it a little or doing a slow retrieve (3 cranks, stop, 3 cranks, stop, etc). Float and jig or bait is great for kids and great for those who don't like snagging every other fish...
Posted by: hooknose

Re: Kids and chum - 10/30/02 10:54 PM

Anyone have a suggestion on a good place to take a kid for chums?
My daughter and I have had a number of succesfull days up at 2 bit and the Taylor hole on the Sky, but with the water so low that doesn't look like an option.