Calcutta Reel Repair

Posted by: RRR

Calcutta Reel Repair - 11/08/02 03:29 PM

I had to leave the country (job -- not the law!) for a while and, unfortunately, I didn't clean up my reel before departing. To make a long story short there is some major corrosion in the reel, rendering it barely operable. I'm curious as to the chances of having it repaired even though it was my fault that it became damaged. Anyone have any experience and/or info re returning reels to shimano fer repairs?

As always thanx fer yer response

Sincerely,
Roger
Posted by: fishgut

Re: Calcutta Reel Repair - 11/08/02 03:37 PM

Looky, we have the same avatar. Is this supposed to be possible?

Re: Calcutta Reel Repair - 11/08/02 08:24 PM

I think that you had yers 1st. I'll git a new one cuz dupe avatars may piss off the fish gods and we certainly don't wanna do that (I get skunked enough as it is...)!

Sincerely,
Roger
Posted by: Divers

Re: Calcutta Reel Repair - 11/08/02 08:40 PM

Send it back to Shimano.
They will replace it or fix it.
Posted by: JTD

Re: Calcutta Reel Repair - 11/09/02 12:53 AM

I sent mine to John's Sporting Goods in Everett. It cost $28.00 and it worked better than it did when it was new! They have a website if you need the address.
Good luck

Re: Calcutta Reel Repair - 11/10/02 12:11 AM

I don't think that sending it anywhere but shimano would work. It's the side plate (MAJOR component) that is corroded. Thanx very much fer the input tho...

Sincerely,
Roger
Posted by: John B

Re: Calcutta Reel Repair - 11/10/02 12:58 AM

A couple of yrs ago I went to my local tackle shop to have them do maint on my Calcutta - sticky drag. They sent it off to Shimano for the work to be done. About 5 weeks (ugh) later, the tackle shop called to tell me the reel was ready. I went in and much to my surprise, it was someone else's reel -- even had a name and address on it.

Well I wasnt very happy. The tackle shop got right on it and the next day they gave me one of their brand new 400's and in turn had Shimano send them a replacement for their stock -- all completely free of charge.

That was making lemonade out of lemons - they turned around an ugly and made it right.

The only issue was the sentimental value lost with my first reel but the new one is quickly making up for it!

Hope yours gets fixed right. Good luck.
Posted by: josh870

Re: Calcutta Reel Repair - 11/10/02 03:46 AM

i hope quantum treats me good, i just got a reel of theirs and had the chums make scrap metal of it