gaffing male fish at Hoodport

Posted by: barnettm

gaffing male fish at Hoodport - 11/21/02 11:34 AM

I was at Hoodport yesterday, and saw the Indians netting operation, and it appeared that they were gaffing the fish out of the nets, both male and female. Since eggs are the only product here, could not the males be returned to the water alive? Doing so would be relatively simple (ie, grab them by the tail) and would preserve half the resource. It would be nice if they would do this.
Posted by: Jerry Garcia

Re: gaffing male fish at Hoodport - 11/21/02 03:25 PM

If they released the males alive they would net them again---- more work you know.
Posted by: bardo

Re: gaffing male fish at Hoodport - 11/21/02 03:30 PM

those hatchery dogs just die in the saltwater anyway. after the run is over there are thousands of dead chum at the mouths of all the creeks in that area.
Posted by: Mike C

Re: gaffing male fish at Hoodport - 11/21/02 07:30 PM

I was there yesterday, too. I didn't see the gaffs but I did see the floating carcases as they finished netting an area. And I agree with JG, I think they don't want to deal with releasing them alive and then finding them right back in the nets. Which makes sense from a netter's point of view but is dam painful from most any other point of view. frown
I posted my report over at WashingtonLakes.com. Busy and I were "corralled" by netters on either side of our boat, there went the neighborhood!