Oregon's Wilson River

Posted by: SteelyDon

Oregon's Wilson River - 12/26/02 01:26 AM

My nephew was just up from Oregon, he got hooked on steelhead and salmon fishing 2 or 3 years ago and has been finding new rivers. He just went to the Wilson River, he and his body caught both Kings and a steelhead a week ago. He wants me to come down with my drift boat so we can float the Wilson but he doesn't know the river yet. Does anyone know the river, put in and takeouts, when the runs are for hatcheries are and peak times? I found info that Feb and March are the months for wild fish but not sure how good the runs are, anyone know?
Posted by: Wild Chrome

Re: Oregon's Wilson River - 12/26/02 08:18 PM

I don't know the phone number or website, but contact The Guide Shop in Tillamook. They're right on the lower Wilson.
Posted by: SteelyDon

Re: Oregon's Wilson River - 12/27/02 03:45 PM

Wild Chrome,
Thanks for the reply, I'll give them a call. I've already found out a little more by searching the net.
Posted by: Drachir21

Re: Oregon's Wilson River - 12/27/02 08:35 PM

I've fished the Wilson for many years. It is at it's best for hatchery Steelies right now through January. In as much as you don't know the river from a Drift Boat, I would suggest launching @ Mills Bridge, (right behind the Guide Shop), and floating down to Sollie Smith. That is about a 3-4 mile drift with some easy water to row, and some real productive water to fish as well. This drift can be very crowded, especially on weekends, so come prepared, and with your patience. Good Luck! smile