depthfinder

Posted by: glowball

depthfinder - 12/28/02 03:20 PM

was thinking about getting a new depthfinder for my new boat and was curious what you guys think is the best to get? Are the depthfinder gps combos worth the big money?
thanks
Posted by: spawnout

Re: depthfinder - 12/28/02 09:20 PM

Do a search for "depthfinder" and "gps" on the board - lotsa stuff on these topics this past year.

Me? I use a Humminbird with sidescan for a depth sounder - cheap and reliable, you can get one for $150 on sale. And a hand-held Garmin Map76 is $300 and the most amazing GPS unit there is, with a base map and automatic track feature you don't even need to worry about waypoints - it shows where you are on the water in relation to landforms and navigation aids, and it lays down the exact route you followed getting there, so when the fog rolls in you just backtrack. Handhelds are nice for when it is dark, wet, and foggy, just stick it in your face when you need it and in your pocket when you don't. Real cool cool
Posted by: Haifisch

Re: depthfinder - 12/29/02 05:25 PM

If you get a combo unit, if anything goes wrong with one or the other, you are out both while it is fixed. Best money I spent was on a Lowrance X65 (rear fishfinder) second best, Garmin 240 Blue (front fishfinder)
Posted by: fishjager

Re: depthfinder - 12/29/02 05:42 PM

I agree with having two seperate units. Just in case you have a failure with one. I personally have a Garmin 160 blue, and a Garmin 176C. The great thing about garmin is that they interface with each other. When you mark a loction on the water on your GPS, it will also tell you how deep you are at that time. The GPS will also interface you with most new VHF radios, so if you need to send a may-day all you have to do is hold the panic button and your location is automatically sent to the Coast Guard. Something to think about! rolleyes