smoked halibut

Posted by: bustin loose

smoked halibut - 12/29/02 03:31 PM

Trying to find a good reciepe for smoking halibut. Any ideas?
Posted by: Keta

Re: smoked halibut - 12/29/02 05:09 PM

IMHO halibut is too low fat content for good smoking fish. Black cod is much better smoked than halibut, maybe better than salmon. Sometimes I put halibut or rockfish in the elecrtic smoker and burn one pan of chips. Then I put it in the oven and broil it with a little butter on it. Serve with jojos and beer.
Posted by: jamyes66

Re: smoked halibut - 12/29/02 09:54 PM

i had some success with just a regular brown sugar and salt wet brine with a little soy sauce.just dont smoke as long as you would a salmon or steely,seems to be a little dry,but it sure is tasty.good luck
Posted by: Sebastes

Re: smoked halibut - 12/30/02 05:29 PM

I have been using a brown sugar and rock salt dry mix, cutting halibut into strips and smoking it hard, somewhat like jerky. It's very tough but very tasty.
Posted by: JRfishing

Re: smoked halibut - 12/31/02 07:01 PM

this is a nice sweet brine for the hali.
1 cup brown sugar, 1cup cane sugar, 1/4 to 1/2 cup non-iodized salt. Mix together and cover the hali for 4-6 hours, rise and let glazed or dry for a couple hours. Smoke till done. nice mild sweet brine. laugh
Posted by: Bob

Re: smoked halibut - 12/31/02 07:47 PM

We do lots of smoked halibut ... when done right, it's awesome!

Actually, I should say we have it done for us ... processors we work with in AK always help us out smile

Sweeter brines seem to work best ... we have a batch of honey smoked that is AWESOME!