Bummin'

Posted by: nookie dreamin'

Bummin' - 03/06/07 03:49 PM

Bummed out- just needed to get it off my chest...Son shipped out
this afternoon for that giant catbox where people get killed....
2nd deployment for him as he's already been in Afghanistan dodging mortars...Can't understand why they would take him out of one sh*t hole, only to send him another...Anyone else feeling helpless because their loved ones are in the same situation?
I told him to dip his bullets in spam juice, as it is made of pork, and anyone he has to shoot would be rendered "unclean", therefore denying them entrance to heaven and their awaited "72 virgins".. Good for a chuckle, but I'm concerned that it could have been the last chuckle I hear from him. I know our involvement in that sh*thole is quite controversial.. Many opinions about it. My own is that we are in a war in which, if we don't believe what they believe, marks us as a people that must be destroyed as infidels. I believe that we are not at war with Iraq alone, but rather a backwards culture with no reedeming qualities. I also believe that were it not for religion, we would have no war at all. Simplistic? Maybe. Everyone must decide for themselves. I'm not trying to start a debate here, just trying to vent some bad feelings.. That being said, I am proud of my son
and others like him who are in harms way...
Posted by: Snake Pliskin

Re: Bummin' - 03/06/07 04:42 PM

I'm with you. My son-in-law is being deployed next week for Iraq. 16 months. My daughter is devastated. Read my signature. Good luck to yours and everyones.
Posted by: thefishnfool

Re: Bummin' - 03/06/07 06:50 PM

Your son is in my thoughts. Next time you talk to him tell him thanks for me. America.....land of the free because of the brave.

Tim
Posted by: Chuck E

Re: Bummin' - 03/06/07 06:51 PM

I know the gut wrenching, sinking feeling of watching your son head off to the military not knowing what may come of it. My son enlisted in the Army and we figured he'd be in Bosnia. While he did work in support of the action there, luckily he was not in hostile action.
My Dad (rip) told me he felt the same when I left in '65.
The debate over the war is not even a factor when your child leaves to be in harm's way among his brothers in arms.
I wish the best for you and yours.
Posted by: FishRanger

Re: Bummin' - 03/07/07 01:02 AM

He will be in my thoughts along with all the others who are in harms way.
Posted by: Oregonian

Re: Bummin' - 03/07/07 01:17 AM

My son is only 11 yrs old, can't imagine the feelings you are going through. You must be dam proud of him at the same time as worried, I am gratefull to live in a country with men like the two of you. Thank you.

Re: Bummin' - 03/07/07 02:57 AM

Want to give a heartfelt thanks to all that have responded to this thread... While my son only has a 6 month deployment, there won't be a day that goes by that I won't be terrified of the possibilities.... Thanks again, and as someone else has said,"America, Land of the Free, Because of The Brave".....
Posted by: N W Panhandler

Re: Bummin' - 03/08/07 03:00 AM

Nookidreaming, i to would like to express my heartfelt thanks to your son. Its because of guys and gals like him that we have all we have, especially freedom. I have the same beliefs about the present military action as you. Wish more people would wake up, and let our troops take care of business, with a little less interferance then maybe our folks could come home sooner. Thank you for understanding your sons service as well. Chuck G.
Posted by: One Way

Re: Bummin' - 03/08/07 06:38 AM

Sorry you and your family are having to send one of its own into harms way.
Posted by: Dave Vedder

Re: Bummin' - 03/08/07 03:08 PM

I can't imagine a more helpless feeling. We all all wth you and you son.

Re: Bummin' - 03/09/07 01:40 AM

Thanks, all...... What do you think about my spam theory?
Posted by: Irie

Re: Bummin' - 03/09/07 04:45 AM

Maybe if you send a few grand to your Senator, you can get 'em restationed flying jets in the Texas Nat'l Guard.
Posted by: Mingo

Re: Bummin' - 03/09/07 10:04 AM

I agree with what the others have said...........godspeed to your boy, here is to his safe return to you and your family.

I can only imagine the pain you are going through............
Posted by: fish4brains

Re: Bummin' - 03/09/07 10:37 AM

Thanks to all who serve. It's pretty risky employment.