Looking at LCD falt panel tv's any ideas?

Posted by: TBJ

Looking at LCD falt panel tv's any ideas? - 10/18/07 09:14 AM

I am finally looking to upgrade to a wall mounted 37" to 42" LCD high definition television. I have been shopping but have not setttled on one yet. Walmart has some good prices and I have seen a few on sale at best buy and circut city. Any recomendations on TV's or where to get the best price on one? Thanks. I wanna be ready for Bowl games and NBA action this year, not to mention the Jenna Jameson collection coming out on DVD.-TBJ
Posted by: r2fishn

Re: Looking at LCD falt panel tv's any ideas? - 10/18/07 09:22 AM

JVC Video only they have good deals . samsung allso makes a nice tv just depends on how much cash you want to drop.
Posted by: TBJ

Re: Looking at LCD flat panel tv's any ideas? - 10/18/07 09:48 AM

I think around a grand is about all I want to spend. Thanks for the info
Posted by: fish4brains

Re: Looking at LCD flat panel tv's any ideas? - 10/18/07 09:57 AM

Costco.
Posted by: stlhead

Re: Looking at LCD flat panel tv's any ideas? - 10/18/07 11:32 AM

We have a 55" Mitsubishi and a 32" Panasonic. The Panasonic has dual HDMI tuners. We've owned it over a year and I'm impressed with it's quality.
Posted by: DiverX

Re: Looking at LCD flat panel tv's any ideas? - 10/18/07 12:25 PM

I'll give you the same advice I gave to my friend earlier this year. LCD TVs have a couple key features to consider. One is contrast ratio. You should see a number that says 700:1 or 1000:1. Higher numbers are better. 1000:1 was a minimum number for me. The other feature is the pixel response time. That is the time it takes for a pixel to go from full dark to full bright and back to full dark. This will let you play those fast-action movies without a lot of problems with the picture. You should see a number like 16ms or lower. Lower numbers are better. 12ms is a starting point. So, a LCD TV from any manufacturer with 1000:1 contrast and 12ms response is a good place to start and great for every day TV viewing. If you want to play fast action movies flawlessly with the ultimate home theater rig, you're gonna spend more.

The number of HDMI ports and interfaces is basically fluff unless you plan to hook up your cable, aerial antenna, satellite dish, Xbox and PC all into the same screen. Just get one that has the right connector for whatever you use to get the signal into your place.

Also, if the place delivers, have them do it. Some stores will not let you return a TV if you take it home yourself because they say you broke it when you transported it. If they deliver, it's covered until they install it. This is especially important for large TVs.

Good Luck.
Posted by: Irie

Re: Looking at LCD flat panel tv's any ideas? - 10/18/07 12:28 PM

My Sony 46" LCD turned out to be a piece of crap. Matter of fact, all the Sony products I've purchased in the last 3 years have fizzled. The Screen went out on the TV just before the Warranty expired and my PS3 took a dump last month.
I guess they are more worried about kids burning copyrighted music than they are about making a product worth two schidts.
Posted by: stlhead

Re: Looking at LCD flat panel tv's any ideas? - 10/18/07 12:34 PM

"The number of HDMI ports and interfaces is basically fluff " true if all you want is to hook up a cable box and dvd player. When we bought ours it was $50 more for the second HDMI tuner so why not.

You didn't mention 1080 versus 720P. You want 1080 for true high def.

Here is a very good site run by a local.

http://www.hometheaterspot.com/

Also notice if you join you can qualify for their group buys.
Posted by: willametteriveroutlaw

Re: Looking at LCD flat panel tv's any ideas? - 10/18/07 01:56 PM

The more HDMI ports the better IMHO. I only have one for my PS3, my xbox 360 needs one as well as my cable box. Lots and lots of extra wires back there. I have a 42in samsung plasma and like it very well. I'm in it about 1200 dollars, well worth the money. Another one to look at are the dlp's my previous TV was a 62in DLP and it had as good of picture if not better and I really liked the bigger screen. Ex thought it was too big though.

Re: Looking at LCD flat panel tv's any ideas? - 10/18/07 02:30 PM

I'm just saying don't buy stuff you aren't going to use. IF TBJ has a bunch of stuff to hook up to a TV, then he needs a lot of ports. If all he plans to do is watch MNF and Deadliest Catch, he doesn't need them.

As for 720p vs. 1080p, I think 720p is fine for most programming. There is very little 1080p content out there especially in broadcast signals. You are basically paying for a future capability. The biggest issue is the frame converters. You can view 1080p programming on a 720p screen if the frame converter will do it. Some frame converters are crappy and don't do a good job. The problem is usually in up converting (going from 720p content to 1080p screens, etc). That's why NTSC (standard TV) can look horrible on a very good HD screen. I would only buy a 1080p screen if I bought a Blu Ray or HD DVD player or was buying a high-end HD camcorder. Also, a lot of "1080p" TVs are not 1440x1080 (non square pixels) or 1920x1080 pixels of resolution, but a lower resolution TV with a frame converter capable of converting 1080p signals. True 1080p format, 1920x1080 LCD screens are EXPENSIVE. If you have a cheap 1080p screen, most likely it can convert the signal, not display it in full HD glory.
Posted by: John Lee Hookum

Re: Looking at LCD flat panel tv's any ideas? - 10/18/07 03:26 PM

1080i and 720P are about equal, except 720P can have a better response time which is the choice procast signal from ESPN or other stations that need a quick response time to avoid a choppy images. I find that 1080i is the best for nature programing such as Discovery HD, or programs where the camera doesn't jump from place to place such as a football or tennis game. On some HDTV's that are listed as 1080i, you can get a picture that is almost comparable to 1080P and difficult if not impossible to tell the difference in picture quality.

Note: All HDTV prodcast are in 1080i or 720P. You can only get 1080P through Video Games or HD movies played on an HD dvd player or Blue Ray. HD movies can also be viewed in 1080i by using an Upconversion DVD player, which is a lot less expensive than the Blue Ray or HDDVD players. Look for specials with a price of $100 or less on upconversion DVD players.

I recommend a "Response Time" (RT, MS) 8 or below................. The lower the better for fast or quick action. The best TV's have 8 or less, as the cheaper sets are above 8 , and have an inferior picture quality.

A Contrast ratio of 1600 or better................. Higher is better because you get a clearer the picture. Better contrast between true black and true white. Remember that the picture you see in the store may not be the picture quality you receive at home. There are some really good LCD's on the market at competitive prices (37-42 in. under $1000) Once you experience HDTV you wouldn't want to go back to the old CRT.

NOTE: Beware of the new glass panal (sscreen) LCD's. They are cheaper to make, but are not as good for viewing as the original.

I also recommend purchasing the extended warranty.

Input-Output

Optical out...(I found that the optical out was handy for conecting to my 5.1 sound system.)

USB ..(connection for updates from manufacturer, such as with the new Olevia 237V series.)

HDMI 1 ( you can always add on an HDMI dock with 4 or more slots for uder $100)

VGA......( in case you don't have an HDMI to dedicate to your computer. I can use my computer's Media Center to show pictures, movies or documentaries that are on my hard drive. Great if you have a wireless keyboard and mouse because you can also review e-mail as well as write e-mail using your LCD TV as your computer monitor.)

All LCD TV's have connection for TV , coaxil for Video player, and RCA for Surround sound outputs.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/ is a good place to comparison shop, without any sales tax and sometimes free shipping.

Posted by: The Moderator

Re: Looking at LCD flat panel tv's any ideas? - 10/18/07 03:58 PM

Will probably be in the market for a 42" LCD or Plasma Hi-Def flat panel for my basement that I am currently refinishing.

I need it to have a cable card slot, as I don't have room for the Comcast HiDef Receiver. It's gonna have to use a cable card. Yeah, I won't get the nifty Comcast guide, but since I already know what the channels are, I don't care.

Yes, I'm flat out just seeing if any of you have done my homework for me. I'm being honest.

I don't want to spend more than $1500 for it. That is my budget.

What 42" LCD and 42" Plasma TV would you recommend to me? Specific models and where to get it would be appreciated.

I'm in the Seattle Area.

Heck, come up with *the* recommendation and I'll toss a jar of cured UEC eggs your way. Consider it a reward.
Posted by: Knucklebustersonly

Re: Looking at LCD flat panel tv's any ideas? - 10/18/07 04:25 PM

Samsung or Philips. LG would be a good bet too...Stick away from Insignia and Westinghouse, check around Costco, buddy got a 42 inch flat screen on sale there for really cheapp..
Posted by: Jason Y

Re: Looking at LCD flat panel tv's any ideas? - 10/18/07 05:01 PM

Sears will price match, we bought a samsung they logged on and price matched plus 10% of the difference. Right in the store.

JY

Re: Looking at LCD flat panel tv's any ideas? - 10/18/07 05:50 PM

Will probably be in the market for a 42" LCD or Plasma Hi-Def flat panel for my basement that I am currently refinishing.

I would stay away from plasma because of the potential of burn in images. Stick with LCD. LCD's have come a long ways in picture quality that compares to Plasma with better blacks and white contrast and more features.

http://www.hdtvoice.com/voice/forumdisplay.php?f=384

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/

Re: Looking at LCD flat panel tv's any ideas? - 10/18/07 06:10 PM

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/category/category_tlc.asp?CatId=37&CMP=ILC-FPM-TV
Posted by: AkBoy

Re: Looking at LCD flat panel tv's any ideas? - 10/18/07 10:32 PM

costco visio brand looks pretty good to us.
Posted by: fishpolelease

Re: Looking at LCD flat panel tv's any ideas? - 10/18/07 11:59 PM

Here's a couple contradictions from a guy that owns a custom shop working for local icons.

I still feel that plasma 42" or above looks better than the LCDs. They usually have a higher contrast ratio, (basically, the amount of detail in dark colors) and better refresh rates, as well as better procs that are able to keep up with the huge amount of information coming to the panel in order to display high def. LCDs were originally built to act as static displays for digital signage, they weren't designed to act as a great image display. This is why LCDs have no burn in problems and usually have a longer life span for the panel. But they suffer in moving images like live sports and action movies. LCDs are also backlit, so they require that you block light in order to get black, which is why it is difficult to get a true good contrast. Most newer plasma have pixel clocks or orbital pixels that help with the burn in issue. My favorite Plasma right now is the new Pioneer Kuros, the guys at pioneer have released their best so far, maybe not as much contrast as the Panasonic, but a better image quality overall. I like LCDs under 42", basically, there flaws are a little more livable on a smaller scale, but still present. The sharp Aquos can look real good, but takes a few tricks to adjust them right. Some of the LG panels were getting there when I was last selling them, but I didn't like their price for what they were offering. Some of the sharps have a built in digital high definition RF tuner. You can get all of your local High Def feeds straight off the cable without any comcast box. The cable card sucks, and I don't think that comcast is selling them anymore. If you have a cable card, give it back, they are piosonous. They have a habit of losing their channel maps, requiring a call to customer service, who calls a tech to come out and reprogram the card to get you subscription back on line.

LCDs will eventually surpass Plasma, but its not quite there yet. These panels are also changing about every six months now. Getting better quality for cheaper every time.

I would be cool and offer to sell to everyone here at cost, but the sad part is that you can usually find panels on line for less than I pay at wholesale. I might sell a few dozen panels a year, under manufacturers warranty and all that, but some guys in New Jersey can sell a thousand on their e-tail site, so he gets the better deal and probably gets a huge break on shipping too.

Talk to Jason at Poulsbo Audio Video. He's local, sometimes he comes across some really good deals and can get stuff shipped to anywhere, he's also dealer direct so his stuff is covered under manufacturers warranty. Costco prices still have just about everyone beat, but, Costco also sells so much that some of the manufacturers are selling them strip down version displays to move bulk for cheaper as a special Costco deal.

Hope this helps.

Re: Looking at LCD flat panel tv's any ideas? - 10/19/07 01:13 AM

Keep an eye out for this. Coming soon to the HDTV market.

http://sed-tv-technology.blogspot.com/
Posted by: The Moderator

Re: Looking at LCD flat panel tv's any ideas? - 10/19/07 12:52 PM

Originally Posted By: fishpolelease
Here's a couple contradictions from a guy that owns a custom shop working for local icons.

Can ya get me a 40-42" LCD or Plasma TV with a cable card slot that falls within my $1500 budget?

I don't mind tossing a few bones to someone on this board.

Re: Looking at LCD flat panel tv's any ideas? - 10/19/07 04:21 PM

Interesting. The only problem with projection technology is that there is a limit to the contrast because you cannot transmit the absence of light. My main TV is rear projection, and it washes out when it is not dark in the room. Plasma and LCD screens give a much better representation of black.
Posted by: Dave D

Re: Looking at LCD flat panel tv's any ideas? - 10/19/07 05:59 PM

Sharp Aquas
Posted by: Dave D

Re: Looking at LCD flat panel tv's any ideas? - 10/19/07 06:02 PM

oh and this is important

If you watch a lot of TV with the lights on because say you have kids get a LCD. If you watch TV with the lights off go plasma. The glass screen on a plasma reflects light a bunch more then the plastic screen on a LCD.

Re: Looking at LCD flat panel tv's any ideas? - 10/19/07 08:29 PM

http://dhd.discovery.com/convergence/hdguru/hdguru.html?dcitc=w99-514-ah-0067
Posted by: Salmo g.

Re: Looking at LCD flat panel tv's any ideas? - 10/19/07 09:06 PM

Hmmm, I'm gonna' wait til the house is built and then buy new TV and audio equipment. Everything will probably change in the next year anyway, so I'll come asking advice when the time comes.

Sg

Re: Looking at LCD flat panel tv's any ideas? - 10/20/07 01:08 PM

Quote:
Can ya get me a 40-42" LCD or Plasma TV with a cable card slot that falls within my $1500 budget?

I sent out a couple e-mails to my distributors to see if I can get what you're looking for, should hear back monday or tuesday.

Re: Looking at LCD flat panel tv's any ideas? - 10/23/07 10:07 PM

Not great news on the cable card TVs. The pioneer kuros model has a cable card slot, but it is $1995 my cost (if I pick it up at the Seattle warehouse). The sharp 42's no longer have cable card slots, neither do the mitsubishis or the panasonics. Cable cards probably won't be popular again until they have figured out bi-directional communication (interactive tv). It seems that everyone has gone to QAM tuners for now for ease of use and no third party hardware to deal with. Your best bet would be to try and find a previous model Sharp Aquos that is cable card ready online or at a local retailer. The earlier model aquos have a cable slot, I just have none that I can get. Sorry, I really only have access to the new models, because the retailers pretty much get what's left over after distributors take their share. Sucks being the small fish.
Posted by: Jaba'da butt

Re: Looking at LCD flat panel tv's any ideas? - 10/24/07 06:52 PM

I just purchased Samsung 46" LCD HDTV and a Samsung BLU- RAY DVD Player from Best Buy in Portland.I cannot tell you in words about the clarity of this TV. I spent close to 3,000 for it , they deliver and set up for free. I feel this should last me a long time!