DUI checkpoints

Posted by: stlhead

DUI checkpoints - 01/07/08 11:34 AM

Gregoire is expected to announce a proposal to bring DUI checkpoints to our state. Not that I am against keeping drunks off of the road but this enrages me. It's touted as though we are one of the last ten states behind the times where, IMO, we are one of the last ten states holding on to some resemblence of freedom and not becoming a police state. If you are for being stopped and questioned at road blocks by your employees then I have a serious question for you. Do you mind if I come over and search your house any time I feel like it? No? Then you must have something to hide.
Posted by: fishhog

Re: DUI checkpoints - 01/07/08 12:24 PM

I've said it before and I'll say it again. "Welcome to the Peoples Republic of Washington".

It used to be that if you got pulled over and wern't wearing your seatbelt, you'd get a ticket. Now, they can simply pull you over.

Did you watch the news last week about the City of Seattle adding additional red light cameras. The first few (9 I believe) generated a million bucks. Greedy MF'rs are going to add like 20 more.

The part I like with the checkpoints, seatbelt & redlight cameras, it's all in out best interest, under the guise of "SAFETY". Which is true to a point.
Posted by: Salmo g.

Re: DUI checkpoints - 01/07/08 02:16 PM

DUI checkpoints presume quilt. Has this passed the constitutionality test?

I guess the argument can be made that red light cameras invade privacy, but I see them as reasonable deterrent to the red light running that has become commonplace anymore for some reason. Sort of like video cameras in every mini mart and gas station. Most customers don't rob the joint, but enough do that the tapes come in handy for the prosecutors.
Posted by: wntrrn

Re: DUI checkpoints - 01/07/08 05:33 PM

I'd love to tell the story about 10 guys in a 15 passenger van in Kelowna. Approaching a checkpoint.. the cooler which was located between driver and passenger seat was being passed backward from seat to seat to finally rest and be hidden under a bunch of duffelbags in the back while everyone walking along the street was watching us just laughing. We were only about one vehicle from being checked and our driver was sober. Every one of the people watching us from the sidewalk was saying "stupid Yanks?" But I think they could all relate.

Gotta love BC.

As for Washington State. Just prosecute the people for their crimes in the first place and that might be a big enough deterrent to keep them from reoffending or offending in the first place. I have a cousin who has 10 DUI's. Spent a year after his 7th but didn't spend time after the others. He knows if I ever see him again 911 will be called. He can kill himself for all I care, it's the public I'm concerned about.
Posted by: Roguefshr

Re: DUI checkpoints - 01/07/08 06:01 PM

if they want to use DUI check points have an officer make you blow if he sees you exit a bar. otherwise there should be no such thing.
Posted by: Dan S.

Re: DUI checkpoints - 01/07/08 06:28 PM

In many states, the courts have ruled that your expectation of privacy in your vehicle doesn't carry the same weight as your expectation of privacy in your home.

It boils down to the "driving is priviledge, not a right" thing.
Posted by: Timber

Re: DUI checkpoints - 01/07/08 09:31 PM

Originally Posted By: Dan S.

It boils down to the "driving is priviledge, not a right" thing.

Huh and who gave me that priviledge?
Come on Dan thats plain horse shiit there....

Dont get me wrong here I dont believe in driving while pasted but lets not give up all our rights!!! OH never mind Hitlary will do that for us....Please save me?!?!?!?!
Posted by: ParaLeaks

Re: DUI checkpoints - 01/07/08 09:34 PM

I quit drinking over 20 years ago, but just the thought of some jerk pulling me over just because he/she can pisses me off. I have the feeling it's going to cause me trouble. I'm pretty sure that I won't be able to keep my yap shut about the lovely Gov's ideas.

If she's so damn sure that it will do more good than harm, then put it to a vote of the people.

My 2

Re: DUI checkpoints - 01/07/08 09:40 PM

Don't get me wrong. I've always thought these checkpoints were a load of crap. If they made made drunk driving laws more severe, there's be less reason to have these checkpoints in the first place.

Any governemt intrusion into my life without me giving them a reason is bogus.......and just being on the road isn't a good enough reason as far as I'm concerned. But until I become Dictator Lord of the US, these checkpoints will probably be a reality.
Posted by: Timber

Re: DUI checkpoints - 01/07/08 09:44 PM

Oh they wont pull you over for nothing you have to have a visble infraction ROLLING EYES here!!!!! how hard would that be?
I get so FREEKIN tired of getting pulled over because They say I need mudflaps!!!! What a freekin load of crap!!!!
Posted by: OPfisher

Re: DUI checkpoints - 01/07/08 10:05 PM

maybe if the state wasn't so gun ho on giving it to us up the arse and taking as much money. How bout instead of check points cops just start doing their job and looking for the guys driving all over the road. I had a boudy come pick me up this last weekend cause I didnt feel like I wanted to risk driving and we saw three drunk dudes driving from 16 around pearl back into gig harbor.... I know for damn sure they patrol that area hard for speeders.... so they just try and make as much money durring the day off tickets and then they're off???

Re: DUI checkpoints - 01/07/08 10:14 PM

At these checkpoints you get pulled over for no reason.........not even a cooked-up reason. They just yank you over, and basically give you a field sobriety test. What's stupid is they make a cop cook up some probable cause before pulling you over, but not so at these checkpoints. So, I'm not sure how you can have two different interpretations of the same law.
Posted by: hohbomb73

Re: DUI checkpoints - 01/07/08 10:18 PM

I'd like to see a sober driver refuse and take that "interpretation" to court. I would, but I have better things to do than go to jail...
Posted by: cupo

Re: DUI checkpoints - 01/07/08 11:14 PM

Originally Posted By: wntrrn

As for Washington State. Just prosecute the people for their crimes in the first place and that might be a big enough deterrent to keep them from reoffending or offending in the first place. I have a cousin who has 10 DUI's. Spent a year after his 7th but didn't spend time after the others.

That's the problem I see in this deal. Busting more drunk drivers has no safety benefit when those same drivers will be back on the road the next day. They can catch as many drunks as they want but it won't mean anything unless it keeps them off the road.

Re: DUI checkpoints - 01/07/08 11:59 PM

I think you got that right Cupo. A pretty empty promise if they don't actually take drunk drivers off the road, and from what I read in the paper, they don't.
Posted by: fish4brains

Re: DUI checkpoints - 01/08/08 12:07 AM

Originally Posted By: hohbomb73
I'd like to see a sober driver refuse and take that "interpretation" to court. I would, but I have better things to do than go to jail...

It's not against the law to refuse a field sobriety test, only a breathalyzer.
Posted by: 1bighog

Re: DUI checkpoints - 01/08/08 01:57 AM

Aunty-The problem is you will never know if you benefited from the checkpoint or not because the drunk driver that would have ran the red light and killed someone you love would have been arrested 20 minutes before. There's no way to judge the real success of such a program.

If the bitch that ran the red light at 23rd ave/E Yesler had been picked up at a checkpoint, Officer Joselito Barber would still be alive.
http://www.odmp.org/officer/18435-police-officer-joselito-alvarez-barber

If the ahole that rear ended me on I-5 doing 90mph with a BAC of .24 had been picked up earlier in the night at a checkpoint maybe my back still wouldnt be jacked up. Or, maybe if he was held longer than a few hours from the DUI he was arrested on the night before...That would have worked too!

Noone can argue that drunk driver's don't kill and hurt innocent people...I didnt mean to get on my soap box about that. The fact is that checkpoints can greatly increase the DUI's taken off the road and if one of those stops an innocent driver from getting hurt, I'm for it.

I cant buy into the arguement of "what next, you going to come into my house without a warrant?" DUI checkpoints have been in place across the country for many years and those states didn't use it as stepping stone for something more sinister and thinking that Washington would is not much more than a conspiracy theory.

Let the cop flaming begin...or should I say continue.
Posted by: fuzzygrub

Re: DUI checkpoints - 01/08/08 03:06 AM

Originally Posted By: 1bighog

lmao
as a public servent you should be defending the constituition of this state instead of being a servant for whatever floats your boat causes

try remembering that i have a constitutional right to drive whereever and however without some publicly funded sychophant trying to exercise his new found power to harass citezens for a monetary gain
spellin aside leo sucks in this state of washington
Posted by: grumpyr

Re: DUI checkpoints - 01/08/08 10:35 AM

Originally Posted By: fuzzygrub

try remembering that i have a constitutional right to drive whereever and however without some publicly funded sychophant trying to exercise his new found power to harass citezens for a monetary gain

l M ao
oh really...Maybe you would like to enlighten the rest of us more constitutionally challenged members and show us just exactly where in the constitution you have been granted that right.
You do however, have the right to remain silent.
Posted by: FishRanger

Re: DUI checkpoints - 01/08/08 11:05 AM

Constitutional right to drive huh, is that with or without the cell phone????
Posted by: Snake Pliskin

Re: DUI checkpoints - 01/08/08 11:07 AM

If this goes through there will be a negative ripple effect to the food/beverage industry. Instead of stopping by your favorite watering hole for a beer or having a glass of wine at a nice restaurant, you will go straight home or have have some bottled water with dinner. Less people going out for drinks(with or without dinner), less people ordering drinks = less $ for restaurant industry.

Gotta love Washington..........DUI checkpoints, permanent ban on outdoor burning in King, Snohomish, and Pierce counties, no Christmas trees at the airport. What's next.........we can only fish on weekends?

Re: DUI checkpoints - 01/08/08 11:24 AM

"There's no way to judge the real success of such a program."

But you are ready to throw your and my rights out the window for it?

Big hog, I've lived in this state my entire life and never once, not one time, have the police been given more power and not tried to stretch it or down right abuse it. You could also turn your argument around and make it about gun control. Do you want gun control?

I say sidewalk checkpoints will be next and maybe make more sense. Stop all of those bar brawls, stabbings and shootings we read about.

Re: DUI checkpoints - 01/08/08 11:39 AM

[quote=stlhead

I say sidewalk checkpoints will be next and maybe make more sense. Stop all of those bar brawls, stabbings and shootings we read about. [/quote]

I agree! Just think of all the crimes we could stop BEFORE they occur!!

Now that the human genome is mapped, why not just take everyone's blood and weed out the gene for alcoholism, then deny them all licenses. Or better yet, put them in Jail right away when they turn 16 (as a preventative measure-- hey, if it stops ONE innocent person from being hurt it FINE by me!) as we all know "the system" will rehabilitate them right away and they will never commit heinous crimes against cops or even regular citizens...
Posted by: Coho

Re: DUI checkpoints - 01/08/08 11:47 AM

I went up to BC (Abbotsford) for a concert. Leaving the concert-which served beer/wine-the Mounties were checking ALL vehicles/drivers. Luckily, I drank moderately due to the drive home.
Posted by: blue_jay

Re: DUI checkpoints - 01/08/08 12:01 PM

200+ people were killed last year in WA state from drunk drivers. If it saves 1 life it's worth it...BUT...

I agree DUI laws should be made more strict by our legislature before they enact this check-point crap. In some states where they have the check-points they use the narrowing field system where they setup cones to the point where it's obvious who shouldn't be driving and wave everyone else through. Some states stop every other driver, some every third.

But you know dayum well what they'll do here. They will have 10 guys running plates looking for warrants, priors and tickets while 3 guys do random checks for seat belts, cell phone use and equipment checks racking up fines. They were talking to the WA state patrol cheif yesterday on the radio and they plan to get a warrant each time they set up one of these check points so they can pretty much do as they wish. He said they only plan to target DUI but when asked if they were going to be looking for other things, he just said if they see something obvious they would handle it. He said they were only going to do "problem" areas. LOL

But what the hell, one jack off leaving a bar gets on his cell phone and that check point is empty for the evening. Go figure.

Gregoire is brilliant!

Re: DUI checkpoints - 01/08/08 12:17 PM

If the LAWS can't keep these dangerous offenders in jail, then what's the point of ONE roadblock?

I think we should forward an initiative to have PERMANENT road blocks (err, dui checkpoints) put up all over our states. I figure about 7-12,000 of them should do the trick in Seattle alone. When our troops come home, perhaps they can help: they'll know just what to do to stop domestic insurgencies (err, dui)...

Re: DUI checkpoints - 01/08/08 12:20 PM

[quote=blue_jay]

But what the hell, one jack off leaving a bar gets on his cell phone and that check point is empty for the evening. Go figure.
/quote]

Yeah, 'cause the ONE "jack off" obviously knows EVERY OTHER PERSON'S phone number to warn them all!
Posted by: Irie

Re: DUI checkpoints - 01/08/08 12:22 PM

If it comes to pass, I'll move.
Posted by: chasbo

Re: DUI checkpoints - 01/08/08 12:33 PM

they have check points in Mexico. they also have taken away their guns.

Re: DUI checkpoints - 01/08/08 02:00 PM

Shhh..they might use stopping a suitcase nuke as an excuse for checkpoints.

Re: DUI checkpoints - 01/08/08 02:20 PM

[quote=blue_jay]

/quote]

Yeah, 'cause the ONE "jack off" obviously knows EVERY OTHER PERSON'S phone number to warn them all!

A bar or tavern usually has a phone.

Re: DUI checkpoints - 01/08/08 02:48 PM

KK, this explains the work around of the previous decision:

http://www.komotv.com/news/13512457.html

I always like this "The proposal drew immediate support from law enforcement "

More power???? HELL YEAH!!!!
Posted by: chasbo

Re: DUI checkpoints - 01/08/08 02:49 PM

Hillary said that there is such a thing as a suitcase nuke, so there is......is?

Re: DUI checkpoints - 01/08/08 02:58 PM

It's amazing how the lefties prop these people up and then get burned by them over and over again. And to think she lost the election and recount. Not that two out of three counts for anything when your buddies work for the supreme court - who cares.

Re: DUI checkpoints - 01/08/08 03:27 PM

From the Hitler youth gallery:
"It's amazing how the lefties prop these people up and then get burned by them over and over again. And to think she lost the election and recount. Not that two out of three counts for anything when your buddies work for the supreme court - who cares. "

Hmmm....what other election does that remind you of? One involving an idiot, liar and traitor. Even though you were severely burned I bet you're still proud of your vote. Now that's dumb.

Re: DUI checkpoints - 01/08/08 03:30 PM

Originally Posted By: blue_jay
It's amazing how the lefties prop these people up and then get burned by them over and over again. And to think she lost the election and recount. Not that two out of three counts for anything when your buddies work for the supreme court - who cares.

Take a look at our last national election there BJ and you might see the irony in your arguement. It's not who you know it's who you blow. And I have a retail store which will donate another set of knee pads to make sure you get what you want out of this next election.

Just make sure you take it deep because while you may feel pleasure from being pounded hard the rest of just see it as being screwed!

Re: DUI checkpoints - 01/08/08 03:51 PM

Quote:
It's amazing how the lefties prop these people up and then get burned by them over and over again.

The Dems are going to save us from drunks with their assualts on our rights, and the Repubs are going to save us from terrorists with their assaults on our rights........and you'll be right there washing the balls of half of them.

Re: DUI checkpoints - 01/08/08 04:31 PM

I knew I could give this thread a big boost in it's post count. Where to start?

Hohbomb-you're not stopping the crime before it occurs. The driver is already DUI. You're stopping them before they hurt someone. Your analogy is ridiculous, but I didnt expect much more.

Fuzzy Grub-Even thinking about responding to this intelligently without calling you an idiot is impossible. I think I'll pass.

Aunty-You're right. I have no idea what the 4th Amendment means. I should have learned it yesterday. Me, the lawmakers of 40 other states and the United States Supreme Court including Chief Justice Rehnquist who said that DUI checkpoints are "necessary to reduce drunk driving." None of us have any clue about the constitution.

Stlhead- If you think people become cops for "more power," I don't think there's anything I could say to change your mind. Don't worry though. You will still be able to call 911 when you need help and one of the power hungry, jack booted thugs will immediately respond to help you. The reason this has the support of Law Enforcement is because it takes drunk drivers off the streets. Not for "more power." If you have never seen someone killed by a drunk driver and then had to notify their family, you proably aren't going to get it.

Irie- Here's a list of states you can consider if this passes. Alaksa, Idaho, Iowa, Michigan, Minnesota, Oregon, Rhode Island, Texas, Wisconsin and Wyoming. Texas is nice. You can learn to fish for speckled trout and redfish. These are the states that currently prohibite checkpoints. You might not want to unpack though, because other states are looking at this issue again too.

Re: DUI checkpoints - 01/08/08 04:44 PM

bighog do you feel sometimes like you're talking to stumps? lol

Re: DUI checkpoints - 01/08/08 04:59 PM

Yup...it say's right there in the constitution..."you have the right to drive a motor vehicle"

Re: DUI checkpoints - 01/08/08 05:06 PM

You can cite as many folks as you'd like for DUI. But until we actually punish them, people won't change their behavior. Most law abiding citizens in this state have zero problems with police officers or DFW officers or any other enforcement agency. It's just that those who break our laws don't get punished.

SO.. put up checkpoints, make the general public feel more safe, and then allow the offenders to go back to doing what it is they got busted for in the first place. Better yet, let's make sure that 5 year old kid who is on the no fly list gets a good strip search because that will definitely enhance my national security.

I know I feel better already.

Re: DUI checkpoints - 01/08/08 05:20 PM

The United States Supreme Court disagrees with you but they don't have 9000 posts on PP so I'm sure they're wrong. The Supreme Court was established by the Constitution to be the arbiter and interpreter of the constitution. The delegates that constucted the constitution in 1787 during those 100 days new it wasn't a perfect document and it would need interpretation as times changed. That's the purpose of the US Supreme Court. To look at a law and determine if it's constitutionally sound. They have done this with DUI checkpoints and they say that it doesnt violate the 4th Amendment.

I get it just fine...but thanks for your concern anyway.

Noone has claimed that checkpoints stop drunk drivers. It removes them from the road.

Re: DUI checkpoints - 01/08/08 05:23 PM

Figures that you'd like Texas...
Posted by: Sol Duc

Re: DUI checkpoints - 01/08/08 05:28 PM

Originally Posted By: wntrrn
You can cite as many folks as you'd like for DUI. But until we actually punish them, people won't change their behavior. Most law abiding citizens in this state have zero problems with police officers or DFW officers or any other enforcement agency. It's just that those who break our laws don't get punished.

SO.. put up checkpoints, make the general public feel more safe, and then allow the offenders to go back to doing what it is they got busted for in the first place. Better yet, let's make sure that 5 year old kid who is on the no fly list gets a good strip search because that will definitely enhance my national security.

I know I feel better already.

How about, for first time offense 1 year suspended license and mandatory one week in jail. Second time offense you LOSE your license for life and spend 6 mos in jail. This is considering nobody got hurt during these offenses. I know this will clog the jails and the system but I could only imagine the drop off in DUI'S and the lifes saved.

Re: DUI checkpoints - 01/08/08 05:32 PM

Personal attack-"1bigwhatever" "part of the problem and not part of the solution" Making a comment about having too much time on your hands is a personal attack? Not even close.

I found some people that would have appreciated DUI checkpoints. Maybe you could give them your speech about personal liberties. Before anyone gets on their high horse about the use of these pics, reprint was approved by the victims of these DUI accidents.

Re: DUI checkpoints - 01/08/08 05:44 PM

[quote=blue_jay]

/quote]

LOL

Re: DUI checkpoints - 01/08/08 05:46 PM

Like I said bighog...if you agree with this then you don't mind if I stop by and search your house any time I feel like it. You have nothing to hide so you shouldn't mind. And if I can get a large enough group together we can search all of the houses all of the time and we'll irradicate almost everything especially the very freedom this country was founded on.
After all an awful lot of people seem to get killed in their own homes and often times alcohol or drug related. If it saves just one person.
BTW, I do think that some become cops for the power trip. But that's not what I meant. I meant law enforcement and politicians work in concert for more power. Law enforcement under the guise of more power to catch the bad guys and politicians wringing their hands over how much revenue the fines will bring in. And checkpoints will generate a lot of little fines like seat belts, equipment, etc. I wonder if we can start confiscation like Florida so the police can target expensive cars and leave my truck alone.

Re: DUI checkpoints - 01/08/08 05:47 PM

Originally Posted By: Abu-Loomis
The last thing I want is to have Blades and 1bigasshole type cops checking to see if I've been drinking. Hopefully this won't happen. How bout we just ban alchohol all together ;\) ...Later

Jake

Anything I said that you would like to intelligently disagree with or you just want to jump on the cop bashing bandwagon with your girlfriend hohbomb?

Re: DUI checkpoints - 01/08/08 05:50 PM

Originally Posted By: stam
Many people are killed by drivers that haven't had a drink, are not talking on a cell phone and are wearing their seatbelts.....what are we going to do about them?

If there is no negligence I think those are called accidents.

Re: DUI checkpoints - 01/08/08 05:52 PM

Pics of people horribly burned. Nice. I know for a fact people have been horribly burned in their own homes. Sometimes it's faulty iring. Sometimes an assailant. Sometimes they did something stupid. We need to search houses man. They're dying out there I can feel it!

Re: DUI checkpoints - 01/08/08 06:03 PM

They are a bit touchy feely aren't they?

Re: DUI checkpoints - 01/08/08 06:20 PM

How about we just make a driver's license a bit harder to get in this state? Our kids can't pass the WASL but are given a driver's license just because they can answer 4 out of 5 questions right?

Driving should be taken seriously but the only one's taking it serious have an IQ over 50.

We don't have strict DUI laws because our lawmakers don't want to write their own sentence.

Bobbe Bridge... Jane Hague....

Re: DUI checkpoints - 01/08/08 06:48 PM

Originally Posted By: stam
 Originally Posted By: Sol Duc
[
If there is no negligence I think those are called accidents.

I didn't ask what they are called, what I asked was "what are we going to do about them?" if we are looking to take all the risk out of life, getting drunk drivers off of the road is a good start, but those burn victims could have been from someone crossing the centerline on the way home from church.

Once we start where do we stop?

I hear what you're saying, there are inherent risks while driving. It is by far the most dangerous thing we do day to day. Sometimes things happen that are unforseeable and deaths occurr. The laws are very loose when you hurt or kill someone with an auto with malice. The punishment never fits the crime. I think sleep depervation is a huge killer and should be taken as serious as DWI.
Posted by: fuzzygrub

Re: DUI checkpoints - 01/08/08 06:58 PM

Originally Posted By: grumpyr
 Originally Posted By: fuzzygrub

l M ao
oh really...Maybe you would like to enlighten the rest of us more constitutionally challenged members and show us just exactly where in the constitution you have been granted that right.
You do however, have the right to remain silent.

hehehe ya ok i'll admit that comment was pretty stupid
just tired of all the new ways politicians have for liberating our funds

Re: DUI checkpoints - 01/08/08 08:39 PM

Maybe the USSC has upheld DUI checkpoints, but the plain English reading of the 4th Amendment to the US Constitution makes it clear that such checkpoints are not legal under the Constitution. Aunty M called this one correctly.

Sg

Re: DUI checkpoints - 01/08/08 09:50 PM

What I don't think is yet clear to some is this.

If you want drunks on the road, then prosecute those you arrest in a manner which REALLY discourages drunk driving. No pleading out, heavy fines, mandatory license suspensions, and jail terms for repeat offenders.

The way to keep drunks off the road IS NOT to arrest more of them, and then prosecute them with a slap on the wrist. This tactic can only be interpreted to mean you're more interested in collecting fines than ending drunk driving.
Posted by: LoweDown

Re: DUI checkpoints - 01/08/08 10:17 PM

Why not just require Interlock Blow and Go devices on all vehicles? There's obviously a few people contributing to this thread that have no shortage of air to expel. You know who you are.
Posted by: LoweDown

Re: DUI checkpoints - 01/08/08 10:18 PM

And yeah, what Dan said. How 'bout one DUI and you never drive again?
Posted by: Knucklebustersonly

Re: DUI checkpoints - 01/09/08 12:56 AM

On a side-note, I've talked to a cop before who says some nights as many as half the people he'll pull over are driving under the influence... Checkpoints aint gonna stop that...

Re: DUI checkpoints - 01/09/08 07:06 AM

Originally Posted By: AuntyM
 Quote:
BTW, I do think that some become cops for the power trip.

Obviously. And this one looks like he's one of them. I'd let it go if he was a good CITIZEN that understood what so many men and women have died for, but he's not.

Power trip? Really? Because I disagreed with you I must be on a power trip, huh? For being such a fan of 4th amendment, I guess you don't care much about the 1st unless everyone is lining up to agree with you.

"The US Supreme Court has erred and reversed themselves before, and they will again. That won't stop those in favor of a socialist/police state from attempting to thwart any and all attempts to violate civil rights."

They have refused to even hear another case regarding this issue. If they had some interest in even looking at it again, they would hear a case. They are done with it and so am I.
Posted by: fish4brains

Re: DUI checkpoints - 01/09/08 08:34 AM

My family has been negatively affected by a drunk driver, but I don't support checkpoints. I had to go through a police checkpoint in Cancun and it was a big hassle.

The laws are getting tougher with the mandatory minimums but I think harsher penalty from the start would work better.

First offense under .15, alcohol assessment, 30 day license suspension, no occupational. Probation until you follow through with recommendations.

Second offense within 10 years, year license suspension, year in jail.

Third offense in 10 years, or second offense over .15, Felony. Felony sentencing guidelines, 5 year license suspension.
Posted by: Ranger3C275

Re: DUI checkpoints - 01/09/08 09:43 AM

Originally Posted By: Snake Pliskin
If this goes through there will be a negative ripple effect to the food/beverage industry. Instead of stopping by your favorite watering hole for a beer or having a glass of wine at a nice restaurant, you will go straight home or have have some bottled water with dinner. Less people going out for drinks(with or without dinner), less people ordering drinks = less $ for restaurant industry.

Yeah! And don't forget all of the tow companies that will not be impounding all of those drunk's cars. We have to look out for the tow industry. Morticians and funeral homes will lose out also. Oh, don't forget the news crews that won't be able to report on horrific traffic collisions where some poor girl is hit head on by a drunk guy going the wrong way on Hwy 18 at 4:40 in the morning. That guy was probably just drinking a glass of wine at a "nice restaurant". That guy killed someone and only had a cut on his finger.... but at least he was supporting his late night "nice restaurant" industry.

So many of you people talk about how these road blocks would be a violation of your constitutional rights, but you’ll be the first one to want some police officer to violate some homeless person's rights when they are in your neighborhood. You people only want action when something has directly affected you personally. Think of your son. Think of your daughter. Think of your wife, your sister, father or mother. What if they were hit by some idiot and killed. Seriously, just stop and think about it for just a second. Their dead, lifeless body mangled in a car. Did it have to happen? Could it have been stopped?

I'm married with a 21 month old son. I worry about my family every minute they are not in my presence. If we can't trust people to not drive drunk, then I'll have to trust the cops that serve my area of operation to effectively eliminate as many of the threats as possible.

It's not the cops who would be inconveniencing us at a road block. It’s the people who can’t take responsibility for their own actions inconveniencing us by putting us in harms way.

I’m done.
Posted by: Snake Pliskin

Re: DUI checkpoints - 01/09/08 11:00 AM

Ranger,

A couple of things.........

#1: I doubt the guy drunk going the wrong way on Hwy 18 at 4:40 am just had a glass of wine.

#2: Even with checkpoints, not all drunk drivers are going to be caught.........there's not enough cops and too many roads. So, unfortunately, there will still be drunk driving deaths. I would prefer my tax dollars funding police so they can arrest drug dealers and tweakers. Not to mention making our streets safe for our children from molesters, make our parks safe from rapists and muggers, and maybe occasionally they can drive by a boat launch and set up a sting for thieves.

#3: My comment about the ripple effect was an economic one. But that will even be biased if this goes into effect. Do you think there will be a check point on every road leading from Quest Field after a Seahwawk game? No, while the number of arrests would be staggering(no pun intended), it won't happen because Seattle/Washington State likes the revenue from selling alcohol at sporting events. Even Crissy's checkpoints won't mess that up. No, the checkpoints will get the guy and his wife who shared a bottle of wine over dinner at an Italian restaurant.

As Aunty said, why inconvenience me and take away my Constitutional rights? Or as Stam said, where does it end? Checkpoints for everything? For eating a Big Mac while driving? For not having both hands on the wheel? I'm already forced to wear a seat belt (I would anyway), but dang it, it's my life, my choice. We are getting closer to being a police state all the time.

Snake

Re: DUI checkpoints - 01/09/08 11:04 AM

"Because I disagreed with you I must be on a power trip, huh? "

Wasn't directed at you but take it as you wish. Remember, absolute power corrupts absolutely. Law enforcement already has all of the tools to arrest drunk drivers without restricting my freedom to travel.

Ranger, drugs kill people. Drugs are sometimes smuggled in anal cavities. Now I don't think you are a drug smuggler but line up to be searched just the same. Those murders in Carnation. What should we do to prevent that from happening again? What freedom are you willing to give up?

I am thinking of my family. And generations to come. We are rapidly eroding our freedoms. At this rate, in a generation or two, we will be no different than a Communist country. But it will be "for your own good".

Re: DUI checkpoints - 01/09/08 12:06 PM

Originally Posted By: AuntyM
Yup...it say's right there in the constitution..."you have the right to drive a motor vehicle"

Quote:
The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized.

BJ, like your president, you have poor reading comprehension.

1bigwhatever and BJ apperently like the idea of living in a socialist/police state.

Show me where it says so and I will become a dem. LOL

Re: DUI checkpoints - 01/09/08 12:26 PM

They are done with it and so am I.

Finally... thank GOD.

Oh, and Ranger: I too have a 21 month old. "Worrying" about him when he's not in my presence will only give me an ulcer... lighten up and live longer. No DUI roadblock (nor any roadblock) will guarantee safety for him. I have been hit by a car TWICE while pushing my son in a stroller in one of the best neighborhoods in Portland while walking to the grocery store... Neither time were the drivers drunk.

Ironic that the overwhelming majority of the public (here on this thread) is against this, and yet... the "cops" are defending it under the pretense of it being good for "us". Since we don't know what's good for ourselves as "we the people", it's nice to know that the fascists that step in and take over will have "our" best interests at heart...

Re: DUI checkpoints - 01/09/08 12:28 PM

Show me where it says so and I will become a DUMBASS, like you.
Posted by: Blades™

Re: DUI checkpoints - 01/09/08 02:02 PM

The last thing I want is to have Blades and 1bigasshole type cops checking to see if I've been drinking. Hopefully this won't happen. How bout we just ban alchohol all together ;\) ...Later

Jake

Anything I said that you would like to intelligently disagree with or you just want to jump on the cop bashing bandwagon with your girlfriend hohbomb?

Ok, I don't want cops stopping me without cause. I didn't do anything wrong, so leave me the f*ck alone. Don't start anything with hohbomb, last time him and a "cop" got into it online, the "cop" admitted his love for men ...Later

Jake

LOL I amitted to my love for men? Your funny Abu Abu. Have you had some problems with cops? Is this a touchy subject? HAHA your girlfriend hohbomb lol

Re: DUI checkpoints - 01/09/08 03:18 PM

And now for something completely different....it's Blades.

Blades + BJ = 1/2(wit)

Re: DUI checkpoints - 01/09/08 04:31 PM

Originally Posted By: stlhead

Blades + BJ = 1/2(wit)

I think the only thing me and blades have in common are terminators.

Re: DUI checkpoints - 01/09/08 04:43 PM

Originally Posted By: stlhead

Blades + BJ = 1/2(wit)

I think the only thing me and blades have in common are terminators.

WTF?

Re: DUI checkpoints - 01/09/08 04:49 PM

You know, Terminators...
those cheezy "Lance Armstrong" type sunglasses that were popular in the 80's with the dorky, sport-o, jock types...

Re: DUI checkpoints - 01/09/08 04:50 PM

...I think cops like 'em too!

Re: DUI checkpoints - 01/09/08 05:10 PM

Originally Posted By: Blades™
LOL I amitted to my love for men? Your funny Abu Abu. Have you had some problems with cops? Is this a touchy subject? HAHA your girlfriend hohbomb lol

Yes, remember your said your gay just for hohbomb? If you need your memory jogged I'll find that quote when I have more time. If my only experience with cops was here, then yes I have a problem with cops. In general? No not really, but there does seem to be a larger amount of dickheads in law enforcement...Later

Jake

LOL you think I was serious when I said that only to make hohbomb shut the F*ck up? LOL!!

LOL 1/2 WIT

Re: DUI checkpoints - 01/09/08 05:21 PM

Did it work?

...1/4 WIT!

Re: DUI checkpoints - 01/09/08 05:25 PM

No because your dumb ass keeps bringing old stupid shiat that nobody f*cking cares about except you!
Posted by: Dave D

Re: DUI checkpoints - 01/09/08 06:08 PM

More people are killed every year driving on antihistamines they take for colds then from DUI's.

It's all about what they can test and what the majority of society finds permissible.

Re: DUI checkpoints - 01/09/08 06:27 PM

All I ask is for is for Abu Abu to keep my name out of his posts its that simple. been asking this for months!!!
Posted by: seastrike

Re: DUI checkpoints - 01/09/08 06:37 PM

Hey Abu
Apparently Dr. Phil has canceled his show about Britney Spears's latest breakdown. Maybe he can take that day to help you with your Blades facination.

Re: DUI checkpoints - 01/09/08 06:41 PM

LOL!!!

Re: DUI checkpoints - 01/09/08 06:46 PM

HAHAHA now thats funny!!!!
Meat head- Just becasue I am a big guy instantly assumes I am a meat head although I have a BACH degree and still going to school part time. But if Abu says so....
Rent-a-Cop-Becase I employed by the goverment and enforce the law I am a rent-a-cop because Abu says so....
Gay-Because I said I was gay to Hohbomb just to have him stop harassing me because he would not stop by all means that i am gay according to Abu, even though I have a etremely hot girlfriend, that at one time I posted a pic, but nobody believed me, so whatever. But i am gay just because ABU says so....

I think that Abu has a fascination with me and the thought that i am gay. Thats why he always talks about me. LOL Althought he has never met me.

Hey ABu, you live in this country right? That falls under my juristiction..lol
Posted by: Jason Y

Re: DUI checkpoints - 01/09/08 06:49 PM

Hey ABu, you love in this country right? That falls under my juristiction..lol

Blades please don't type angry, You look like a Meathead.

Re: DUI checkpoints - 01/09/08 07:24 PM

HAHAHA now thats funny!!!!
Meat head- Just becasue I am a big guy instantly assumes I am a meat head although I have a BACH degree and still going to school part time. But if Abu says so....
Rent-a-Cop-Becase I employed by the goverment and enforce the law I am a rent-a-cop because Abu says so....
Gay-Because I said I was gay to Hohbomb just to have him stop harassing me because he would not stop by all means that i am gay according to Abu, even though I have a etremely hot girlfriend, that at one time I posted a pic, but nobody believed me, so whatever. But i am gay just because ABU says so....

I think that Abu has a fascination with me and the thought that i am gay. Thats why he always talks about me. LOL Althought he has never met me.

Hey ABu, you live in this country right? That falls under my juristiction..lol

Yeah... Clearly you are NOT a meat head. You are highly educated and highly literate. Thats why your posts are proofread and edited so well.

Btw, I'm sorry you feel that I have "harassed you and would not stop by all means". I assure you it was purely coincidental, ...as I merely wanted to MAKE FUN of you.
Posted by: Dave Vedder

Re: DUI checkpoints - 01/09/08 08:53 PM

[quote=AuntyM]
 Quote:
BTW, I do think that some become cops for the power trip.

Obviously. And this one looks like he's one of them. I'd let it go if he was a good CITIZEN that understood what so many men and women have died for, but he's not.

Not too long ago I took up 1bighog on his offer to ride along on a shift. It was very enlightening. I can tell you he is NOT on some power trip. In fact he's a damn nice guy.

Don't assume something about the man just because you disagree with him, on this.

I bet if you ask him nice he will take you out so you can see all about the "power trips".
Posted by: John Lee Hookum

Re: DUI checkpoints - 01/09/08 11:54 PM

All I ask is for is for Abu Abu to keep my name out of his posts its that simple. been asking this for months!!!

Is that possible? I think your request is a fair one. Good luck, but don't hold your breath.
Posted by: John Lee Hookum

Re: DUI checkpoints - 01/09/08 11:58 PM

We need a PP cartoon channel for the kiddies.
Posted by: FishRanger

Re: DUI checkpoints - 01/10/08 12:04 AM

Or at least put a better lock on the playpen gate..
Posted by: Ranger3C275

Re: DUI checkpoints - 01/10/08 12:24 AM

Originally Posted By: Snake Pliskin
Ranger,

A couple of things.........

#1: I doubt the guy drunk going the wrong way on Hwy 18 at 4:40 am just had a glass of wine.

Ranger3C275's response - I was being sarcastic with the glass of wine comment.

#2: Even with checkpoints, not all drunk drivers are going to be caught.........there's not enough cops and too many roads. So, unfortunately, there will still be drunk driving deaths. I would prefer my tax dollars funding police so they can arrest drug dealers and tweakers. Not to mention making our streets safe for our children from molesters, make our parks safe from rapists and muggers, and maybe occasionally they can drive by a boat launch and set up a sting for thieves.

Ranger3C275's response - True, not all will be caught.... but one may be. Be realistic. True, drug dealers, tweakers, rapist, molesters and muggers are problems, but so are DUI drivers.

#3: My comment about the ripple effect was an economic one. But that will even be biased if this goes into effect. Do you think there will be a check point on every road leading from Quest Field after a Seahwawk game? No, while the number of arrests would be staggering(no pun intended), it won't happen because Seattle/Washington State likes the revenue from selling alcohol at sporting events. Even Crissy's checkpoints won't mess that up. No, the checkpoints will get the guy and his wife who shared a bottle of wine over dinner at an Italian restaurant.

Ranger3C275's response - What you are not getting is that there is no difference between the Seahawk game DUI driver and the man out to dinner with his wife DUI driver. They are the same!!!!!! You can't make one look better by putting a food spin on it.

As Aunty said, why inconvenience me and take away my Constitutional rights? Or as Stam said, where does it end? Checkpoints for everything? For eating a Big Mac while driving? For not having both hands on the wheel? I'm already forced to wear a seat belt (I would anyway), but dang it, it's my life, my choice. We are getting closer to being a police state all the time.

Ranger3C275's response - Buddy, I agree with you about the seat belt. It is your life and if you don't want to save it, that's completely up to you. The DUI driver on the other hand takes that choice out of your hands. They put you, me and anyone else around them in their path in great danger.

You want to really make a difference. Hold these people accountable for their actions. There should not be a DUI driver with 4 or 5 DUI's, although I know there are. Our judges and prosecutors are allowing these people to plea to lesser crimes. It's crazy! We as voters allow these judges to sit in office. I know for a fact that the King County prosecutors office allows people to take a plea of "Attempted Violation of the Uniformed Controlled Substance Act" when the person is caught red handed with the dope. It's crazy! What the hell is an Attempted VUCSA?

Snake
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: DUI checkpoints - 01/10/08 01:04 AM

I pulled this thread over to check for bull$hit and guess what?

Time to lock this one up. No parole, no plea bargain.

Straight to the chair with this one.