Too Much Gloom and Doom?

Posted by: Idaho Mike

Too Much Gloom and Doom? - 02/16/09 10:27 PM

I think so. Hear it on the news, read it in the paper and on the internet; sometimes it seems as if there is no hope. Personally, I think continuing to mention only the downside to this economy is self perpetuating. I know people who have no chance of being layed off, but they talk like the world is coming to an end.

Here is my take on the glass is half full:

1. 90% won't lose their jobs.
2. 80% won't have their house foreclosed on.
3. Gas is half the price it was last summer
4. Housing prices have fallen to a reasonable level so regular people with good credit can now buy.
5. Interest rates are low.

The old 401K took a hit, but not as bad as I thought. Screw waiting to retire, I am going out as planned. I mean if I can't survive in the early years of retirement in a bad economy then I should never retire because the economy is cyclical.

I feel for those who have been severely impacted, don't get me wrong, but on the other hand if people got a little more positive and started living again, then maybe those who have been layed off could find a job.
Posted by: Dogfish

Re: Too Much Gloom and Doom? - 02/16/09 10:44 PM

Turn off your TV, keep working your ass off, make wise spending, investing, and borrowing decision, and all will pass you by.

All the media does well anymore is "instill panic".
Posted by: cupo

Re: Too Much Gloom and Doom? - 02/17/09 04:27 AM

Originally Posted By: Dogfish
Turn off your TV, keep working your ass off, make wise spending, investing, and borrowing decision, and all will pass you by.

People have the spending and borrowing nailed.
Posted by: litlcleo

Re: Too Much Gloom and Doom? - 02/17/09 09:42 AM

I have to agree with you on this.I have turned off the news for awhile.Just need to deal with whats on MY plate and leave the rest alone.

I sometimes wonder how bad off we would be if we took the media out of the equation.I believe that the media truly runs this country any more.
Posted by: dewbie

Re: Too Much Gloom and Doom? - 02/17/09 10:48 AM

i dont have TV for this very reason. there is much more to life then panicking over what some nut job on the boob tube has to say....like fishing. smile
Posted by: Chum Man

Re: Too Much Gloom and Doom? - 02/17/09 03:46 PM

Originally Posted By: Dogfish

All the media does well anymore is "instill panic".
unfortunately i'm working for a media company, but you're right about that. all they've done is instill panic in their employees with all their layoffs, now they're suspending our 401K match and pensions.

sucks working in a dying industry.
Posted by: Chuck E

Re: Too Much Gloom and Doom? - 02/17/09 03:49 PM

Out of all the kids my friends and relatives have raised, the two kids that were raised without a tv are the brightest, most inqusitive and outgoing are the two raised without a tv.
Posted by: Rocket Red

Re: Too Much Gloom and Doom? - 02/17/09 04:07 PM

I agree with most of you.

The TV is on a lot at my house, but iCarly and Spongebob have stayed the course throughout the economic downturn.

Use the downturn to invest in yourself and your business systems. I have scaled back my staff unfortunately, but the match weight group I have now clicks on all cylinders from 8 to 5 everyday and I don't have to manage them. With the new found freedom I am getting more quality sales, with better negotiations. I'll never go back to what I had. We're not getting rich, just barely treading water really, but I believe that when the "worm turns" I will be able to take full advantage, if I just watched the tv and read MSN everyday, I would get depressed and give up on these guys.
Posted by: One Way

Re: Too Much Gloom and Doom? - 02/18/09 08:54 AM

Keep your head down, keep your job, don't be a fool with your money, mind that and you can probably weather the crisis.
Posted by: lovetofish365

Re: Too Much Gloom and Doom? - 02/18/09 09:53 AM

i think partly is the overtime has been going away...there are a lot of people that get used to it and depend on overtime...i usually try not to depend on it and i end up ok...401 may be taking a hit, but now is the best time to be buying more stocks in it at a lower price...

i have been watching a lot of places close down, people getting laid off, its sad, but they have their head up more than the people loosing thier overtime sometimes...
Posted by: Jerry Garcia

Re: Too Much Gloom and Doom? - 02/18/09 01:02 PM

Got my 401k deal the other day -32% yahoo.