mmmmm halibut

Posted by: lovetofish365

mmmmm halibut - 05/09/09 06:42 PM

got a call from my brother in law today, his dad bought a couple of Halibut off the dock for 5 bucks a pound...said people were lined up...anyway...the story was that they are whole...his dad thought oh no prob ill buy em and call Cheryl she will fillet em for me...hahaha...so the story goes...he brought em over and he insisted i take a piece...so i got enough to fill the pan...it was yummie...just had halibut the other night but all the halibut we usually eat is from the freezer never really fresh...thought i would do something different..it was great....c

i love halibut....c smile

Re: mmmmm halibut - 05/09/09 06:43 PM

opps forgot to shrink the pics....c
Posted by: fish4brains

Re: mmmmm halibut - 05/09/09 09:50 PM

nothing like a 'butt sandwich!
Posted by: STRIKE ZONE

Re: mmmmm halibut - 05/13/09 07:20 PM

"FRESH BUTT" sammi.Good luck,
STRIKE ZONE
Posted by: Rocket Red

Re: mmmmm halibut - 05/13/09 07:29 PM

Looks like money.

Halle butt is the best.

Posted by: Jerry Garcia

Re: mmmmm halibut - 05/14/09 08:42 AM

Damn Cheryl, you cook too? Owns boats, has good job, catches and fillets fish, cooks, has good sense of humor, involved in fishery issues. Way to go girl.
Posted by: NOFISH

Re: mmmmm halibut - 05/14/09 12:32 PM

ltf365 "Gittin it done" again thumbs
Posted by: stlhead

Re: mmmmm halibut - 05/14/09 05:06 PM

For those who aren't getting their own Albertson's has a three day special starting tomorrow fresh whole or half halibut for $5.99 a pound.

Re: mmmmm halibut - 05/15/09 09:51 AM

hahah..too funny...i dont do laundry, i do my own sort of, its rare if i get it into the dryer..hahha..and i dont vacuum...but i did by my hubby the vacuum cleaner he wanted, top of the line, he had to have it...i think its a gaget thing..hahah...c

stlhead...i looked at our local albertsons add, i am not sure if its maybe your store, it might just be that Silverdale is having that re-opening add...c

Re: mmmmm halibut - 05/15/09 10:06 AM

my store doesn't have it in the ad either but there's a sign in the store announcing the special sale. Could be only certain stores though.
Posted by: Sky-Guy

Re: mmmmm halibut - 05/15/09 11:11 AM

Can you make me a sammy too? smile
Posted by: The Moderator

Re: mmmmm halibut - 05/15/09 12:49 PM

Just had some fresh halibut last night. Wife cooked it up, so I don't know what she did, other than I think she used some blackening seasonings and seared it. It was pretty damn awesome!

Let's turn this in to a Halibut Recipe thread.

Please share your favorite ways to cook halibut! thumbs
Posted by: GreenRiver

Re: mmmmm halibut - 05/15/09 12:57 PM

RAW grin

[/quote]
Posted by: Salmo g.

Re: mmmmm halibut - 05/15/09 03:39 PM

Not sayin' I can improve on GreenRiver's recipe for that butt, however my favorite way to cook halibut is to toss a small fillet in a pirex dish, salt and pepper, throw some chopped onion on it, then add a mix of 1/2 c. mayonaise and 1/2 c. sour cream. Stick it in the oven at 500* for 15 or 20 minutes, but before the sour cream curdles or starts on fire. Remove, serve, and enjoy.

Sg
Posted by: dewbie

Re: mmmmm halibut - 05/15/09 04:00 PM

Originally Posted By: AuntyM
Did someone say recipes? This is not for Salmo g or anyone else that eats healthy! grin

Beer batter for Butts

1 Cup all purpose Flour
1 Tsp Baking Powder
1 Tsp Salt
1 Tsp Old Bay Seafood Seasoning
½ Cup favorite beer
2 Eggs, separated

In a separate bowl, beat egg whites till they form stiff peaks. Stir flour, baking powder and salt together. Mix in beer and egg yolks. Fold in egg whites gently. Dust ¾ inch cuts of fish with flour. Dip into batter and fry in hot oil until golden. Serve with lemon wedges and tartar sauce.

And... if you really want to get fancy, after battering the filets, dip them in Panko before frying.

mmmmmmm......now i really have the munchies....
Posted by: Sky-Guy

Re: mmmmm halibut - 05/15/09 04:09 PM

I dont care for big mayo based sauces and the like.

Best marinade I've found is as follows, It's a major crowd pleaser!
This would be for roughly 2-10oz pieces of fish...adjust up or down as needed.

1 cup Olive oil
Juice of a whole lemon
1 tbls Pepper
1 1/2 tbls minced garlic
2 tsp Basil
1 tsp salt

Mix contents together in a mixing bowl.
Place fish in a ziplock freezer bag and add marinade. Squish out air and close so fish marinades correctly.

Let sit for one hour in marinade, then grill at medium heat until cooked. Treat your grill surface with a cooking spray first!

This is a very simple recipe that doesnt take away from the flavor of the fish, only enhances it.
Posted by: Magicfly

Re: mmmmm halibut - 05/15/09 04:32 PM

2 slices of home grown tomatoes would top that sandwich nicely....

Mf

Re: mmmmm halibut - 05/15/09 04:40 PM

lemon pepper the butt and dust with flour if you want a crust

sear in olive oil (still raw in the middle)

remove

lower the heat and add

butter
pressed garlic
squeeze a lemon
1/2 cup heavy cream
parsley
basil
capers

stir and heat for several minutes until smooth
add a little bottle of cognac
do this next part while sober: light the cognac to deglaze the pan
stir and heat for another minute or so
add the filets and spoon the sauce over them
continue cooking until done

Re: mmmmm halibut - 05/15/09 04:57 PM

Hollandaise:

very low heat

melt 1 stick of butter with a pinch of salt
when melted add one egg and squeeze a whole lemon
stir it often until smooth like pudding stay on it or the egg will seperate from the butter.
Posted by: mreyns_tgl

Re: mmmmm halibut - 05/15/09 05:36 PM

well put stam, they are just gonna wipe out halibut like they are doing to steelhead...longlines have been in area 6 for about 2 months now frown
Posted by: The Moderator

Re: mmmmm halibut - 05/15/09 05:53 PM

Originally Posted By: mreyns
well put stam, they are just gonna wipe out halibut like they are doing to steelhead...longlines have been in area 6 for about 2 months now frown

The sporties might not get a shot at the flatties, but they won't be wiped out. Already has happened and the IPHC is there to see that it doesn't happen again.

Of all the fisheries, this one appears to be very heavily watched and regulated. Might not be *fair*, but it is regulated.

NOTE: If by "they" you mean "tribal influences", than all bets are off on my statements. I have no idea how the tribes an the IPHC interact, etc.

Posted by: mreyns_tgl

Re: mmmmm halibut - 05/15/09 05:57 PM

i'm not sure if the cowboys even fish halibut in the strait's, they could, but every longline out there right now belong to the tribes
Posted by: Carcassman

Re: mmmmm halibut - 05/15/09 05:58 PM

To echo Parker, the two best managed fisheries that i know of, long-term, were the halibut commission and the IPSFC managing Fraser sockeye. Both accomplished strong rebuilding of wild stocks. And, like Parker said, there may be complaints about how "fairly" the catch is divided up but the resource thrived.