Firewood Storage

Posted by: Coho

Firewood Storage - 11/05/09 07:15 PM

I need to rebuild my firewood Storage--it is on its last leg.

Last I just framed in ---oh 6x4x5 ft (guestimate) then put plywood on the outside and painted green. Front is open closed sides and back. For ground I put down wood pallets. It looks ghetto

Just looking if anyone has any photos or ideas of what they have. I want to store 1 cord and kindling.

Thought I would frame then maybe cedar siding--make it look a little better than last attempt.

Thank you
Posted by: FishRanger

Re: Firewood Storage - 11/05/09 09:08 PM

Hire a contractor to do it right ya hack . . . J/K

I know a guy. . . . . . .
Posted by: ParaLeaks

Re: Firewood Storage - 11/05/09 09:46 PM

I found THIS ONE

I like it enough that I'm going to build it myself. Just click on the 6 image links at the bottom. Simple and looks good.
Posted by: Steelheadman

Re: Firewood Storage - 11/05/09 11:26 PM

You shouldn't burn firewood. It would increase your carbon footprint.

Re: Firewood Storage - 11/05/09 11:26 PM

Thanks Slapp I likes that one--Kinda along the lines I was thinking

FR--would you help me if I kicked in some Hamms beer and painted it with MN Viking colors?
Posted by: Irie

Re: Firewood Storage - 11/06/09 03:54 AM

I'm in the slow process of building mine.

I'm levelling the ground right now and waiting for a break in the rain and leaf-raking season.

I plan on setting 4 pier blocks holding 4x4 beams, the plank off a floor slatted with 1x8's for air circulation.
On the corners, putting up 4 more 4x4's so that they support a roof sloping towards the back. Longer posts in front.
These I'll connect at the tops with 2x6's and support the posts with 2x4's, which will also help keep the weight of the wood from bulging out the siding.
The roof will have 2x4's running front-to-back to support the plywood in case of a heavy snow. Then this will be capped w/ plywood, tar papered and shingled.

The siding will be T-1-11 for water repellency & painted to match the house. These panels will be cut to fit and screwed on with decking screws. Plywood just doesn't hold up. I built enough forts as a kid to know that quite well.

For the open front, Im trying to decide whether to run a taut-line across the top and hang a sort of "shower curtain" type cover (imagine a tarp with a thin wire threaded thru the grommets), or if i should install a track up above and make a sort of slider out of the scrap wood.

The big part is the dimensions. That determines everything. Unfortunately I can't measure off the pad until it's all levelled and compacted. And I cant really get started on that until leaf season's over.
Posted by: stlhead

Re: Firewood Storage - 11/06/09 10:08 AM

I have three wood sheds....I burn all winter. This last one I did something along the lines of this one only on a grander scale, 12' long by 7' high, and with a back wall. I used treated lumber. And no I don't own black and decker anything.

http://www.blackanddecker.com/ProjectCenter/ProjectDetail.aspx?DOC_ID=p_2_99_23589_23783.html

Re: Firewood Storage - 11/06/09 02:32 PM

Because of the location, the front will be facing the wind (and rain).

That's why Im trying to decide between the curtain or the hanging door.

Stlhead- That's pretty much what I envision, but without the slat sides. We just get too much sideways rain here, and that would double the price.
Posted by: FishRanger

Re: Firewood Storage - 11/06/09 03:00 PM

I'd be willing to help out for an upgrade in beverage selection.

If you painted it Yikes colors I hope it is aways from the house just in case if mysteriously "combusts" .. . . . . .. . .
Posted by: Dogfish

Re: Firewood Storage - 11/06/09 03:10 PM

If you need some help and the rivers are blown let me know. I have all the tools including a roofing nailer, siding nailer, compressor, Mag77, etc. Always fun to work on a small project. Other than paint, we could be done in a day.

Re: Firewood Storage - 11/06/09 06:19 PM

Thanks Gents

This weekend I will do demolation and leveling and hackin out the laurel that surrounds. Then I will be at the point of bangin it up.

I did print out the plans you posted stlhead--I think I will put down pier blocks to raise it off the ground.

I appreciate the offer FR and Dogfish

Re: Firewood Storage - 11/06/09 08:05 PM

Placing PTGC 4x4 posts in concrete will give you a better base. A little more work, but a lot sturdier. Adds a day onto the process.

The offer stands for Irie as well.

Don't want my woodworking skills to go to crap.
Posted by: NOFISH

Re: Firewood Storage - 11/06/09 08:40 PM

Originally Posted By: Steelheadman
You shouldn't burn firewood. It would increase your carbon footprint.

You need to quit listening to what they are teaching your kids Jeff, next thing I know you'll be talking global warming too grin

Re: Firewood Storage - 11/06/09 09:05 PM

Originally Posted By: Dogfish
The offer stands for Irie as well.

Don't want my woodworking skills to go to crap.

No [censored]?!? hello

I could always use an experienced hand.

I pay in microbrew, ammo & food.

laugh

Ill hit you up once the ground's ready.
Posted by: 4Salt

Re: Firewood Storage - 11/07/09 02:09 AM

Screw the wood... put in a gas log.

WAAAAAAAAYYYYYYY easier... cheaper too!

Re: Firewood Storage - 11/07/09 02:24 AM

Beer food & ammo work for me. You can draw a plan or we can work on the fly. Plan the evening before, run to Home Depot in the morning, and we're good.

I have a LOPI in the new house, but there is a woodstove in the shop. Just need a chimney and I'm good to go in the shop and we can start burning the 11 chords I have left from land clearing.

Wood is free around here, and it warms you twice. Once gathering it, another time burning it.

Re: Firewood Storage - 11/08/09 05:27 AM

Dont forget splitting it. That makes 3x.
Posted by: Driftin'

Re: Firewood Storage - 11/08/09 12:22 PM

Coho,
As one of the Structural Engineers in the crowd, be aware that the Black & Decker plans show 2x4 floor joists for wood stacked only 3' high based on the depicted 1x6 siding. You're not planning on going much higher for storing a single chord, but if you span 2x4's too far between pier blocks with 4 or 5 feet of wood stacked on them you may have a Homer Simpson moment wink

Re: Firewood Storage - 11/08/09 01:52 PM

Copy that Driftn. After looking at the Black and Decker I realized the dimensions were not adequete-for a cord. I am going to lay some 5/8 crushed and put treated 4x4 -frame a floor-then frame in walls and cedar side.
Posted by: Bucket/Good Sport

Re: Firewood Storage - 11/08/09 02:49 PM

Or you could do something like this.

Re: Firewood Storage - 11/08/09 04:03 PM

How about that? A place to keep the wood dry and a place for the kids. What's not to like? smile
Posted by: shinything

Re: Firewood Storage - 11/08/09 05:32 PM

how much is the rent??
Posted by: One Way

Re: Firewood Storage - 11/09/09 08:52 AM

That is more along the lines of what I was thinking of. I am considering something similar but I have to move 5 cords of existing wood to do it. I think I will draw up some plans and at least start thinking about it... I want mine open all the way around and not quite as tall as that. My one concern is wind loading and bracing with no shear walls... I will figure it out... maybe next summer I will build it.

Re: Firewood Storage - 11/09/09 09:49 AM

holes filled with concrete with rebar eyes will tie it down or you could bury a "dead man" anchor. No time to post now, work is calling, but will draw up one today and post tonight. The anchor's are cool, because if you want to later move them, you can.

Re: Firewood Storage - 11/09/09 12:09 PM

Bucket-your set for winter

Re: Firewood Storage - 11/09/09 12:23 PM

Originally Posted By: Driftin'
Coho,
As one of the Structural Engineers in the crowd, be aware that the Black & Decker plans show 2x4 floor joists for wood stacked only 3' high based on the depicted 1x6 siding. You're not planning on going much higher for storing a single chord, but if you span 2x4's too far between pier blocks with 4 or 5 feet of wood stacked on them you may have a Homer Simpson moment wink

That's why was was planning on 4x4's. Like the Black & Decker plan but over-engineered.

Re: Firewood Storage - 11/09/09 01:45 PM

Better to go with some crushed black rock on the ground and then use some PTGC 2x4's to keep the firewood off of the gravel instead of having a wood floor. Less to rot. KISS.

Re: Firewood Storage - 11/09/09 03:42 PM

Originally Posted By: Dogfish
Better to go with some crushed black rock on the ground and then use some PTGC 2x4's to keep the firewood off of the gravel instead of having a wood floor. Less to rot. KISS.

Again, my 1st post, the 4x4 floor frame's going to be held up a few inches off the ground by pier blocks.

Re: Firewood Storage - 11/09/09 05:59 PM

I understand, I was just making a comment on the design.
Posted by: Bob

Re: Firewood Storage - 11/09/09 08:21 PM

Originally Posted By: Coho

Not when you see Stam filling up the firepit right about where the photographer was standing!

Re: Firewood Storage - 11/09/09 09:29 PM

Here's a sketch of a deadman anchor. The dimensions and depth can be adjusted for the appropriate loading. As you can see the anchor can be retrieved by unburying the chain which attached to the end.

I have seen this design used for oil rigs and buried eight feet down and then pulled right out when it was time to move the rig.

Re: Firewood Storage - 11/12/09 02:20 PM

Hackin away--finish it up this weekend

Re: Firewood Storage - 11/12/09 03:02 PM

Looks good.
Posted by: Bucket/Good Sport

Re: Firewood Storage - 11/12/09 05:26 PM

Originally Posted By: Bob
Originally Posted By: Coho

Not when you see Stam filling up the firepit right about where the photographer was standing!

Darn that was fun---we need ta toss some more meat on the fire---soon.

Re: Firewood Storage - 11/12/09 06:41 PM

coho
I would set those rafters up not on there sides.Roof will sag if you do not.just an observation.

Re: Firewood Storage - 11/15/09 09:28 PM

Copy that shinything-good eye.

Due to a laurel tree on roids --roof height --I kinda f'd that one up--I will be adding a metal roof and with the span of 4ft --I do not "think" I will be concerned with sag--seems pretty sturdy/solid

Re: Firewood Storage - 11/15/09 09:44 PM

you could always add a rafter upright in the middle.Plumb cuts long to short perpendicular to the perlins.snow weight?

Re: Firewood Storage - 11/21/09 07:47 PM

Not much snow undercover of the Laurel plus snow should slide off about 23degree slant

Got Wood!---Fits 1 cord to the gills

Bring on winter

Re: Firewood Storage - 11/21/09 08:25 PM

Nicely done

Re: Firewood Storage - 11/21/09 08:49 PM

Yeah! Lookin' good!
Posted by: One Way

Re: Firewood Storage - 11/21/09 09:43 PM

It does look good, congrats on the effort, doing things yourself is always rewarding.

Re: Firewood Storage - 11/22/09 01:25 PM

!5 year carpenter being way to critical here saying looks reel good.

Dude, it is not a piano is something I used to hear a lot from an old boss.

Helped build a barn out in Jefferson county a few years back and he used to tell me it was just a barn.Many of you have seen this barn.

Re: Firewood Storage - 11/22/09 09:32 PM

I agree One Way it is rewarding

Thanks

Re: Firewood Storage - 11/23/09 03:54 AM

That does look good. Fvck the wood siding, I'm going with sheet metal.
Posted by: Sol Duc

Re: Firewood Storage - 11/23/09 02:46 PM

Nice work Coho !

Re: Firewood Storage - 11/23/09 04:17 PM

Thanks eh--not as nice as your avator--wish she would of been there to hold my hammer
Posted by: Sol Duc

Re: Firewood Storage - 11/23/09 06:32 PM

so you could nail it........ applause