There has been a definite lack of chickens here...

Posted by: Dogfish

There has been a definite lack of chickens here... - 11/03/10 10:56 PM

A friend was in need of some fresh laying hens so I decided I'd clean up the incubator and see just how good of a job my Rooster was doing. Planning on a 50% male to female ratio, I would set 24 eggs. Well, 21 days later.....

...11 of the 14 that have hatched so far today are in the picture below. 3 are in incubator drying out, and 6 other eggs "may" hatch. I figured on a 50% fertility ratio and that was blown out of the water. 20/24 were fertile. 4 eggs were culled monday, all clear and no development. Now we just need to see how the final 6 do.

The 11 in the brooder have found food and water. What a cool experience! Most look to be Black Austrolorp purebreds, but there are certainly a few certified mutts in there. The boys have certainly enjoyed the process as well.
Posted by: FishRanger

Re: There has been a definite lack of chickens here... - 11/04/10 01:30 AM

Nice, so now you are a chicken pimp?
Posted by: Twitch

Re: There has been a definite lack of chickens here... - 11/04/10 08:11 AM

Chick threads are for Thursday!

My 'hatch room' is down for the winter. That's where I store all my fuschia hanging baskets, and any other perrenials...
Posted by: larryb

Re: There has been a definite lack of chickens here... - 11/04/10 07:36 PM

the Blondie looks like a rooster i saw on facebook
Posted by: Dogfish

Re: There has been a definite lack of chickens here... - 11/04/10 10:27 PM

So far I am at 16 hatched, 2 more pipping and chirping, and two non-actives. Have three blondes now Larry, or were you talking about that "other" picture.