How good are the Ducks?

Posted by: KoneZone

How good are the Ducks? - 12/05/10 12:28 AM

I am a die hard Beaver Fan and didn't exactly enjoy this years Civil War.

I am interested in just how good others think the Ducks are.

I think a strong showing in the National Championship would be great for the Pac 10 of what ever the hell they're calling it next year.

Anyway the Beav's really sucked this year. Now I can start fresh with high hopes for next year.

Go Beav's 2011
Posted by: Direct-Drive

Re: How good are the Ducks? - 12/05/10 12:40 AM

Their fast offense with multiple weapons is what buries teams in the second half.
Their conditioning is part of it....you will see opposing defenses sucking wind and unable to make substitutions.

There was an ol' SEC coach, Vince Dooley, on the local radio show this week and he said he has never seen anything like it.
Auburn's offense is fast too, but not as.
Posted by: SundayMoney

Re: How good are the Ducks? - 12/05/10 12:44 AM

Originally Posted By: KoneZone
just how good others think the Ducks are.

Not good enough to beat Auburn.
Posted by: stlhdr1

Re: How good are the Ducks? - 12/05/10 10:58 AM

Ducks haven't faced a passing game as good as Newton... Stanfords passing game is good but not Auburn good....

Special teams had better pick it up for the ducks as well...

Keith
Posted by: Doctor Rick

Re: How good are the Ducks? - 12/05/10 03:53 PM

The Ducks are good enough to have made it to the BCS Championship! The match up with Auburn should be interesting. I think the Ducks held back the last few games on the option side of the game (Darron Thomas running) to avoid a Dennis Dixon type injury possibility, but they should let it all out for Auburn.

They should be able to score plenty of points, but Cam Newton and the Auburn offense is freaky good as well, so the Duck's Defense will have to step up. It's too early to predict a score, but if everybody is healthy (should be) it should be a great game.

As for the Beavs, they are where the Ducks were for much of the 70's and 80's, good coach, good players, but not enough good players deep enough so injuries make a difference from early in the season. They need more depth and more quality impact players, but it is so tough to compete with warm weather schools and with the facilities just down the road in Eugene.
Posted by: Dan S.

Re: How good are the Ducks? - 12/05/10 04:16 PM

If the Ducks come out firing on all cylinders, they can win this game.

However, the Ducks aren't known for playing their best football in bowl games, as we were reminded last year.

As much as I'd like to see the Pac-10 team kick the SEC team's ass, Duck fans would be simply insufferable if the Ducks win the NC. Therefore, I'm an Auburn fan for this game.

Go Tigers.
Posted by: Magicfly

Re: How good are the Ducks? - 12/05/10 05:19 PM

If QB Darron Thomas doesn't crack under the pressure, the Ducks should be fine.

Mf

Re: How good are the Ducks? - 12/05/10 05:31 PM

This will be a pretty serious challenge for the Ducks. This Auburn team doesn't believe it can lose...they can come back from deep deficits. Auburn would have to be attacked/demoralized early and then they could still come back.

Cam Newton is 6'-6", weighs 250 and is very quick.
If he gets to the second level he's very hard for a DB to deal with.
The Ducks linebackers will have to play a whale of a game keeping Newton contained. Ducks linemen will need to hurry Newton often.

He is also an accurate passer. South Carolina focused on stopping the run and their secondary was obliterated by the Auburn passing attack.
Darvin Adams is their best receiver and will be a game-long threat.
His work helped to blow up the ol' ball coach's plans yesterday.

Auburn defensive tackle Nick Fairley is a disruptor and the Ducks O-line will have to account for him on every play.

That's my take from what little I have seen of Auburn.
Wish I knew where to find some game footage of these guys (Auburn).
Jan 10 is a ways away.

Re: How good are the Ducks? - 12/05/10 05:35 PM

ESPN 3. Should be able to see all Auburn's games or WSU's. smile

Mf

Re: How good are the Ducks? - 12/05/10 05:37 PM

Originally Posted By: Magicfly
ESPN 3. Should be able to see all Auburn's games or WSU's. smile

Mf

I'll check it out, thanks.
I have streamed games in real time on ESPN3 but didn't know that there were archives available.

Re: How good are the Ducks? - 12/05/10 05:44 PM

They say that games are archived for 24 hrs - 1 week.
Couldn't find any Auburn stuff.

Re: How good are the Ducks? - 12/05/10 06:40 PM

Here's a peek at the 'Bama game.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yQXXvKwznrA

South Carolina:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-upB_Wol4o0
Posted by: bait dunker

Re: How good are the Ducks? - 12/05/10 07:46 PM

*ucks are good, but overrated. They had a pretty easy schedule this year, and I think Wisconsin, Oklahoma, Ohio and auburn could all wipe the floor with them. Contrary to popular belief, they do have many weak spots.
Posted by: Twitch

Re: How good are the Ducks? - 12/05/10 08:26 PM

GO AUBURN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Re: How good are the Ducks? - 12/05/10 08:34 PM

Twitch, if you don't stop crying the home creek will be out of shape all winter !

Re: How good are the Ducks? - 12/05/10 09:30 PM

Dan, I'm dyin' here. It's not too late. Would you REALLY see the SEC team win??

Say it isn't so!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tU2HybDGJHQ

Re: How good are the Ducks? - 12/05/10 09:31 PM

Originally Posted By: Abu-Loomis
Fu.ck the Ducks.

And the same to you.
Posted by: Chedster

Re: How good are the Ducks? - 12/05/10 09:32 PM

Coming from a Beaver, I hope the Ucks get killed by Auburn. Why the hell do we kick TWO field goals when we're on the 5 yard line and losing! Ughhh screw football it's time to fish.

Re: How good are the Ducks? - 12/05/10 09:36 PM

Originally Posted By: Twitch
GO AUBURN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Twitchy Baby, You're killing me!!!
Twisted logic: Don't we want the team that beat the Beavs to beat Auburn?

Yes,Yes, Yes!

Re: How good are the Ducks? - 12/05/10 09:38 PM

Originally Posted By: Chedster
Coming from a Beaver, I hope the Ucks get killed by Auburn. Why the hell do we kick TWO field goals when we're on the 5 yard line and losing! Ughhh screw football it's time to fish.

I like "It's time to fish."

Tight lines, everyone!!

Re: How good are the Ducks? - 12/05/10 10:02 PM

Chedster, so if those two field goals Ben touchdowns with two point conversions, would we have won? Would it kept Oregon out of the championship game? No. Hat said, go Tigers!

Re: How good are the Ducks? - 12/05/10 10:08 PM

Originally Posted By: Hankster
From the Bodda Getta Tiger Sports Board so it MIGHT be a bit biased.. grin He does make some salient points though.

Many people in the media continue to vote Oregon Number 1 instead of Auburn, mostly based on false comparisons of team statistics. They boast about Oregon's stats and claim Auburn's poor pass defense is the reason Auburn should not be number 1. This is all great conjecture, but the key point all this analysis misses is that Auburn has put up their stats against SIX teams with top 25 offenses and defenses, while Oregon has done this against ONE top 25 offense and defense (according to ESPN's College Football Live show Nov 29). This fact alone is the reason you can throw out all the comparisons, because when it comes to the level of competition faced, Oregon can not compare to what Auburn faced on the field.

So for all who claim Auburn is not great in pass defense, look at all the future NFL first round picks Auburn's secondary had to cover this year - Alshon Jeffrey (twice), AJ Green, Greg Childs, Julio Jones, Joe Adams, Rueben Randle, Terrance Toliver. Name me one comparable receiver Oregon faced....hard to do isn't it?

Auburn's pass defense also faced some great QBs over the season - Ryan Mallett, Greg McElroy, Arron Murray, Stephen Garcia, Kyle Parker, Mike Harline. Oregon faced Stanford's Andrew Luck, Matt Barley and Nick Foles - not much else.

In between those pass plays, Auburn's defensive front faced a few top running backs - 2009 Heisman winner Mark Ingram, Marcus Lattimore (twice), Trent Richardson, Andre Ellington, Jamie Harper, Derrick Locke, Randall Cobb, Kniles Davis, Steven Ridley, Waushon Early, Caleb King. Name one from the Pac-10 other than Jaquizz Rogers that Oregon faced?

Want to make the case that Auburn should be number 2 compared to Oregon? Think again and look at the performance and tests faced on the field.

Case closed.

It's all BS now, Hank. Doesn't matter who's #1 or #2....I haven't looked for the "update" yet.
The two have run their respective gauntlets and survived.

So now it's game on.

Re: How good are the Ducks? - 12/05/10 10:41 PM

I was going to edit out the #1-#2 stuff and leave the comparisons of opponents. The Bodda Getta guy says he updated it today but probably before the final rankings came out late this afternoon.

I guess he didn't think much of Locker or Tuell as QBs Oregon faced...he didn't mention them.

The guy would really be cryin' if Bama beat them and it was Oregon and TCU in the big one.......
no, wailing like a Middle Eastern woman at a funeral grin
Posted by: Dan S.

Re: How good are the Ducks? - 12/05/10 10:44 PM

See........that's the rock and the hard place I find myself between. These SEC dudes think the SEC is the only conference on earth. So I'd like to see the Pac-10 team go in there and light them up

But the Pac-10 team in this case is Oregon. I don't think I can cheer for the pondcrappers under any circumstances, even if it shuts up these SEC honks.

Go Tigers.

Re: How good are the Ducks? - 12/05/10 10:46 PM

Classy *uck fans at it again......

http://kezi.com/page/196900
Posted by: JDarr

Re: How good are the Ducks? - 12/05/10 11:01 PM

violin

JD

Re: How good are the Ducks? - 12/05/10 11:04 PM

Originally Posted By: bait dunker
Classy *uck fans at it again......

http://kezi.com/page/196900

There are douche bags at most all games, especially at in-state rivalries.
Weekend D-Bag trophy goes to USC/UCLA.....they did some knife-fighting along with the usual crap.

Re: How good are the Ducks? - 12/06/10 12:11 AM

DD's correct. I was pretty torqued when the Coug faithful were trying to pelt that Polk kid at halftime with ice balls. Obviously they missed. smile

GO DUCKS!!!

Mf

Re: How good are the Ducks? - 12/06/10 12:30 AM

And don't forget they were smart enough not to schedule Boise State this year. thumbs

Mf
Posted by: Steelheadman

Re: How good are the Ducks? - 12/06/10 12:39 AM

Da Phucks are good!

Beavers are the worst team in the Pac 10 NW conference.

GO COUGS!
Posted by: Chedster

Re: How good are the Ducks? - 12/06/10 01:00 AM

Remind me where the Cougs finished in the Pac-10? The Beavs were hands down the most inconsistent team in the conference, but not the worst.
Posted by: Salmo g.

Re: How good are the Ducks? - 12/07/10 12:31 PM

So are the Oregon Ducks becoming the "New York Yankees" of college football? If so, that will make them the team that everyone loves to hate.

Re: How good are the Ducks? - 12/07/10 01:00 PM

Originally Posted By: stam
How good are the ducks..?

probably the best team money can buy.

I think I see a swoosh on this uni grin

Re: How good are the Ducks? - 12/07/10 01:09 PM

[/IMG]

Re: How good are the Ducks? - 12/07/10 01:21 PM

Maybe they offer them free weed, and lap tops? And of course, free legal representation......
Posted by: big moby

Re: How good are the Ducks? - 12/07/10 02:31 PM

Originally Posted By: JDarr
violin

JD

beer

go ducks!

Re: How good are the Ducks? - 12/07/10 11:38 PM

Can't touch this...

Mf

Re: How good are the Ducks? - 12/08/10 12:14 AM

Maybe they offer them free weed, and lap tops? And of course, free legal representation......

Dude...
grin

Re: How good are the Ducks? - 12/08/10 12:37 AM

Settin the field on fire???

http://mobile.oregonlive.com/advorg/pm_29234/contentdetail.htm;jsessionid=C54EB9E3D8E8B66D00C5C4036A7692AF?contentguid=vIfeRMqS

Re: How good are the Ducks? - 12/08/10 12:47 AM

The cheerleader coach is pretty hot though....

Re: How good are the Ducks? - 12/08/10 08:41 AM

The cheerleader coach is pretty hot though....

I'd like to show her a little blue-52....

Keith
Posted by: Saundu

Re: How good are the Ducks? - 12/12/10 01:27 PM

Ducks are good. I see this game going down to the final two minutes with whomever has the ball last wins. Gluck Duck fans, the Pac 10 needs a big win here.

Re: How good are the Ducks? - 12/12/10 01:40 PM

Ducks will get plucked.
War Damn Eagle !

Fixed it for ya Hank grin

Re: How good are the Ducks? - 12/12/10 02:37 PM

Ducks will prevail!

Keith
Posted by: Illahee

Re: How good are the Ducks? - 12/12/10 03:56 PM

I like the Turducken prediction.
Posted by: larryb

Re: How good are the Ducks? - 12/12/10 04:11 PM

nike u will loose by 30

Re: How good are the Ducks? - 12/12/10 04:23 PM

Originally Posted By: larryb
nike u will loose by 30

I'd take that bet.......

Keith

Re: How good are the Ducks? - 12/12/10 06:14 PM

Not as good as their cheerleaders.

Re: How good are the Ducks? - 12/13/10 10:38 PM

Not as good as their cheerleaders.

help

Re: How good are the Ducks? - 12/13/10 10:39 PM

Originally Posted By: stlhdr1
Originally Posted By: larryb
nike u will loose by 30

I'd take that bet.......

Keith

As will I.

Re: How good are the Ducks? - 12/14/10 12:22 AM

One pundit said today "I think that it will be a repeat of the Rose Bowl only Cam Newton is better than Terrelle Pryor and they have Nick Fairley on defense."

Auburn's OC, Gus Malzahn wrote Hurry-Up No Huddle - An Offensive Philosophy in 2003 and it appears that Coach Kelly may have read it.
On Jan 10 they will be attacking the opposing defenses the same way at times.
Malzahn wrote that one of the advantages of the fast offense was that it was hard for defenses to practice against it....not so this time.

If Auburn can go ball control, the Blur Offense will sit on the bench.
But then ball control is contrary to Malzahn's philosphy....it will be interesting to see how this unfolds.
Either way, the Oregon D-line has its biggest challenge yet.

Re: How good are the Ducks? - 12/14/10 01:09 AM

Originally Posted By: Direct-Drive
One pundit said today "I think that it will be a repeat of the Rose Bowl only Cam Newton is better than Terrelle Pryor and they have Nick Fairley on defense."

Auburn's OC, Gus Malzahn wrote Hurry-Up No Huddle - An Offensive Philosophy in 2003 and it appears that Coach Kelly may have read it.
Malzahn wrote that one of the advantages of the fast offense was that it was hard for defenses to practice against it....not so this time.

But then ball control is contrary to Malzahn's philosphy....it will be interesting to see how this unfolds.

I'm not so certain... It's not like Auburn destroyed all those top 20 teams. In honesty, they squeaked by a few.... Granted Oregon didn't play a bunch of top 10 teams, they certainly have an offense than can scramble which is something Auburn hasn't handled well...

High scoring game, perhaps... But Oregon has the chance to shock most...

Keith

Re: How good are the Ducks? - 12/14/10 01:50 AM

Originally Posted By: Direct-Drive

Good info by DD and the next post by Keithly.

Edge to Auburn,

but,

Go Ducks!

PAC 10!!

Re: How good are the Ducks? - 12/14/10 09:41 PM

Ducks unveil new BCS uniforms.

Click here

Mf

Re: How good are the Ducks? - 12/14/10 10:07 PM

Not a fan, but supposedly they (leggings) are designed to be viewed at speed.
Between the play cards and the fluorescent leggings, the grits eaters should be mesmerized by the end of the 1st quarter.

Re: How good are the Ducks? - 12/14/10 11:42 PM

Nike also did new uniforms for Boise ST. BCS game.

Mf

Re: How good are the Ducks? - 12/15/10 12:41 AM

Click here

Mf

If I was a new arrival to the PNW, it would be nearly impossible to identify the real shade of green and yellow, that are Oregon's real school colors.
Now there's several shades of green and yellow, graphite, gray, black and silver.

Re: How good are the Ducks? - 12/15/10 12:42 AM

Originally Posted By: freespool

Click here

Mf

If I was a new arrival to the PNW, it would be nearly impossible to identify the real shade of green and yellow, that are Oregon's real school colors.
Now there's several shades of green and yellow, graphite, gray, black and silver.

Isn't that something... They sure look gooooooood!

Keith

Re: How good are the Ducks? - 12/15/10 09:24 PM

It's emerald green and lemon yellow, not graphite and highlighter yellow.