522?

Posted by: Dave Vedder

522? - 11/02/13 09:54 AM

How you gonna vote? Why?
Posted by: eddie

Re: 522? - 11/02/13 11:17 AM

Dave, I have already voted and I voted for it. My reasoning was pretty simple - if the big Agribusiness's are contributing so much money for the defeat of this, it means that I am for it. Agribusiness does not have my best interest as a priority.
Posted by: Dan S.

Re: 522? - 11/02/13 11:21 AM

Monsanto against it = Me for it
Posted by: Driftin'

Re: 522? - 11/02/13 12:26 PM

After a handful of college chemistry classes, one could actually understand a good portion of the ingredients found in grocery store items. Enlightening to say the least. Accordingly, have long been a proponent of kill it/grow it for most of what I call food. It keeps the ingredients list rather short....
Posted by: blackmouth

Re: 522? - 11/02/13 12:54 PM

I am always skeptical of more regulations and more layers of government. So I voted against it.

For heavens sake, many of the left leaning news papers say vote against it.

http://www.votenoon522.com/

Re: 522? - 11/02/13 01:07 PM

Kosher foods are generally considered MORE desirable, not less. And not just by the Jewish.

GMO foods, and others considered less desirable, are those that benefit from a lack of labeling.

I agree that there is no evidence that GMO foods are harmful, but there is also a lack of data, and I'm not really interested in being a guinea pig for Bayer and Monsanto.

The marginal costs added to food is minimal and I think when it comes to food, more information is better than less.

ymmv
Posted by: Paul Smenis

Re: 522? - 11/02/13 01:19 PM

Voting no.
Posted by: Paul Smenis

Re: 522? - 11/02/13 01:21 PM

Originally Posted By: eddie
Dave, I have already voted and I voted for it. My reasoning was pretty simple - if the big Agribusiness's are contributing so much money for the defeat of this, it means that I am for it. Agribusiness does not have my best interest as a priority.

You are misinformed and reasoning is ridiculous. Greatly.
Posted by: RowVsWade

Re: 522? - 11/02/13 01:36 PM

FUK Monsanto...my wife an I both voted yes. We try to catch, kill and grow as much as possible but that's not entirely feasible so when I buy food I don't want it engineered in a lab.

I won't eat GMO nor will I feed anything GMO to my animals (pets or livestock).

BTW.....fu.ck Monsanto....I HATE those co.cksuckers.

Re: 522? - 11/02/13 01:58 PM

Perhaps I worded that poorly. Of course I'd eat that stuff - when's dinner? smile

I wasn't saying kosher foods are superior to your clearly kickass and more delicious menu, but a kosher hot dog sells for more at the store than non-kosher dogs. There is no suffering on the price point for labeling something kosher - a product labeled as containing gmo clearly does suffer on the price point, or it wouldn't be on the ballot in the first place.

BTW- you just let me know if you have any trouble making those ribs disappear.

Posted by: Anonymous

Re: 522? - 11/02/13 02:12 PM

Originally Posted By: FishPrince
Salmon, I caught and didn't have a rabbi pray over it while he ritually slaughtered it
Pulled Pork, mmm mmm cloven hoof bitch!
Bacon Cheeseburger... meat AND cheese fukkk yeah!
and I'm making some Babyback ribs tomorrow, probably going to eat some dungeness crab cakes the next day.

kosher or not, thats a solid menu there!

Re: 522? - 11/02/13 02:19 PM

I'm totally voting for it... the food processor and packagers change labels at will when it comes to "20% more" "low fat" "no fat"... I call bull$hit on the labeling angle. the Food supply is like the government, we need to take the big corporations out of it

if this goes thru it will be interesting to see just which products don't have GMO... I bet the options will be fairly limited...
Posted by: JTD

Re: 522? - 11/02/13 02:23 PM

Voting for it-

Let consumers decide if they want or don't want GMO products. I seriously doubt eating genetically modified food is an issue, however I am not in favor of tampering with naturally selected genes with potentially huge biological ramifications or further empowering Monsanto when they have already demonstrated abuse politically and socially.

Ironically, my daughter wants to be a bio-engineer and is really angry that I am not supporting what she envisions as the future of food or her career.

Meh.

smile
Posted by: Carcassman

Re: 522? - 11/02/13 02:57 PM

Just what is GMO?
Triploid trout? Tiger Musky, Tiger Trout, Splake, Wiper, Sunshine Bass?
Is it GMO to selectively breed plants and animals for faster growth, disease resistence, better egg production, better milk production?
Is it GMO to graft plants together?

Before i would vote for something like this I would like to see clear definitions of what is and is not GMO, and why those distinctions are made.

I do wish that both sides in the campaign would try honesty, but that is too much to ask in this political climate.
Posted by: Direct-Drive

Re: 522? - 11/02/13 03:45 PM

I have not studied the subject but militant vegan wife says that pesticides are incorporated into some GMO creations.

Re: 522? - 11/02/13 05:38 PM

just because something is labeled "organic", means absolutely nothing... alot of if not most of "organic" foods, are nothing but a marketing scheme to get people to pay more for vegetables and what not that they think is "better" for them....

the only way to get true "organic" produce and such, is to do it on your own, otherwise you are trusting someone else for their word....

and some of those people are backed by the US Government....

need i say more?
Posted by: cruzn99

Re: 522? - 11/02/13 07:01 PM

OK Hankster, I read the Washington State Academy of Sciences's White Paper and here's my book report on it for you...

Looks to me that it predicts anywhere from a marginal to 10% increase in the cost of food. Marginal is obviously OK, but 10% obviously isn't. The article states "The costs of actual labeling are a tiny fraction of the costs of compliance and certification." These costs come from not just labeling, but increased costs of sorting GMO from non GMO, certification testing as well as managing GM and non-GM crops for cross-pollination.

One point in the white paper that was not brought up yet ITT was the cost to the taxpayer through the state, not just the costs to consumers. Estimates for the cost to the taxpayer for the State hiring people to ensure compliance and enforcing this law range from $0.2 million per year to $22.5 million per year. $0.2 million is probably not worth complaining about but $22.5 million is.

I also found a very compelling argument regarding the voluntarily labeling, whole foods line of reasoning:

Originally Posted By: Washington Science Academy
Currently consumers can choose between conventional unlabeled goods, organic foods, and voluntarily labeled GMO-free goods. By paying more, individuals desiring the “right to know” currently have the option to know when they are buying GMO-free goods, which are labeled voluntarily by firms targeting such individuals. Volunteer labeling concentrates the costs on the target group able and willing to pay more for GMO-free products. Caswell points out that mandatory labeling imposes costs on everyone and not just those that desire GMO-free goods.

Balancing the “right to know” with the “right to choose” is an important economic tradeoff. Invoking GMO labeling through I-522 would provide additional information to consumers. However, I-522 could create barriers to production and marketing of GM products which could reduce the available number of goods to choose among (i.e., reduce the choices) and thereby restrict a consumer’s “right to choose”. In circumstances when the “right to know” conflicts with the “right to choose,” laws and regulations must be carefully thought out, formed, and implemented.

So there are not just 2 types of goods on the marketplace, GMO and non-GMO there are actually 4:

1. conventional unlabeled food
2. organic foods (which are by definition GMO-free)
3. voluntarily labeled GMO-free food.
4. voluntarily labeled GM food.

This law takes the first type off the market, restricting people's freedom of choice. These also happen to be the lowest cost choice in the market. So in a while this law is championed in the name of giving consumers greater choice through better information, it ironically restricts their choices rather than enhances it. Especially if you don't care about GMOs and are going to make your decision on price regardless, removing the lower cost item sans information takes away your preferred choice.

If most people don't care about GMOs enough to shop at Whole Foods or seek out the voluntarily GMO labeling program, then they probably don't care enough to pay higher taxes to subsidize the food costs for other people who do care. Shouldn't people who care about differentiating between GMO and non-GMO food be the ones to bear the full cost of differentiating between the two?

fVck yes, love a good book report. skim skim skim then hold the book up. instant A.
Posted by: Us and Them

Re: 522? - 11/02/13 08:24 PM

Gotta love it a vegan that says they are growing food with pesticides inside it so someone votes accordingly . If you have eaten food made from corn, soy or wheat based ingredients typically packaged commercially (Doritos etc) in the past 30 years you have eaten GMO. If you drink whiskey you have consumed GMO . All your beef , chicken and pork is fed GMO . This law as written is useless there are so many holes in it. If you want to avoid GMO foods buy nothing in a package and don't eat most meat.

Re: 522? - 11/02/13 08:35 PM

its not that they have pesticides "in" it, its that they have been bred and modified to be resistant to Round Up and other pesticides...

see, when you have huge plantations like Corn, and Wheat, and Soy and such, there is no way in hell you can pay someone to go out and hand pull weeds in the fields... weeds take away from the water table and nutrients in the soil, before the actual crop gets a change to do that itself, to become the best it can be...

so what do they do?

they breed the plants to be resistant to Round Up, and other pesticides, so that they can bring in planes, or whatever means nessecary, and completely drench the crops with Round Up, which then falls down onto the weeds that they are actually trying to kill, and kills them, without killing the crop...

but, the "crop", soaks that sh!t in too, even if its resistant, all resistant means is that it wont kill it, not that its not in the root system, and throughout the fibers and cells in the plant structure...

so in a nutshell, pesticides are "in it", wether you want to believe it or not...

Re: 522? - 11/02/13 08:41 PM

They don't "breed" the plants to be RoundUp resistant - they genetically engineer the plants - and it isn't the same thing.

Re: 522? - 11/02/13 09:06 PM

its breeding Dan, through genetic selection and manipulation of cell structures...

ill rephrase that, its engineering/breeding... so you are correct partly, as it all started out in a lab... but it takes YEARS to create something like that, and the only way to do that, is through breeding, and specific gene selections and what not... the plants have to be grown through multiple crops in order to have that embedded in their plant life cycle...

growing a hamburger patty in a petri dish in a lab is engineering a genetically modified organism...

taking a plant cell, and restructuring it in a lab to do something, is indeed engineering, but for it to work, it takes 20 or so years of breeding to make sure the product works as intended... wether its cross pollination with another plant species, or manual pollination in a greenhouse, or whatever, the plant cycles need to go from start to finish in order to embed that in the cycle and structure of the plant...

regardless if they are engineered, or bred, they arent good for the world really... sure, they are just like every other plant if you leave them be, and wont take over like Scotchbroom or other noxious weeds, but, with them being resistant to pesticides, and people thinking "oh, i can use as much as i want, and it wont hurt anything", thats bad news... because all that sh!t goes into the water table, creeks, rivers, lakes, oceans, mud puddles, ect, evaporates just as rain does, then rains the sh!t back down on you (miniscule amounts, but still, you like Round Up showers?)

so, even tho they arent "bad" as a plant, what happens during the growth of them, and whats done by the farmers growing them, thats most deffinately NOT a good thing... for you, for me, for anything...

Re: 522? - 11/02/13 09:20 PM

this is Washington Jake, a nice cup of noodles or whatnot after getting pounded in rain or snow all day is a nice feeling for a quick snack...

and Mac n Cheese is great while camping as well, its easy, not messy, and quick... (dissing Mac n Cheese is like dissing Fettucini with an Alfredo sauce you know)

and no, im not worried...

what i am worried about is unexplained cancers and illnesses that happen to people, theres a reason for some of it, and a bunch of it can be directly linked to our diet...

and our water table, like what happened in Hinkley California...

Re: 522? - 11/02/13 09:25 PM

We are living longer and cancer rates have dropped since GMO foods were introduced. Diabetes and obesity have skyrocketed because of compact calories in carbohydrate dense processed foods.

Re: 522? - 11/02/13 09:27 PM

You should consider making a few entries on the recipe forum.

Re: 522? - 11/02/13 09:39 PM

i could scrape a couple up, maybe some Chicken Divan, or Pasta Fajoule, ill think about it...

Joad, true (to an extent), but tell that to the people that are already dead... also, just because its "dropping", means absolutely squat, because its still too high... and like i said, the majority of it can be directly traced back to our diets.. what things are fed during their lives (plants included), and what fillers/preservatives and such that are incorporated into them to help preserve and increase volume of end product... cancer rates arent dropping because of the GMO's, they are dropping because Americans are getting smarter about what the shove down their throats, and how they live day to day life...

so, "make a better food" by GM, but hurt the Earth while doing so... because thats exactly whats happening when you dump 500 gallons of Round Up out of an airplane into the soil...

edit, forgot to post this...

Cancer rates throughout the world...

1. Denmark 326.1 per 100,000
2. Ireland 317 per 100,000
3. Australia 314.1 per 100,000
4. New Zealand 309.2 per 100,000
5. Belgium 306.8 per 100,000
6. France 300.4 per 100,000
7. U.S. 300.2 per 100,000
8. Norway 299.1 per 100,000
9. Canada 296.6 per 100,000
10. Czech Republic 295 per 100,000

Re: 522? - 11/02/13 09:41 PM

i was talking about the Ceasar, Cardini's is a very good one... oh, its not GMO either wink

Re: 522? - 11/02/13 09:44 PM

Round Up is an herbicide, not a pesticide like Diazonon... it had nothing to do with "pests", they just wanted you to think that...

what it had to do with, is wanting something for nothing... they had to figure out a way to make it easier to rake in money, without doing extra work on the crop... so make a plant you can just drench in herbicide, and not die, but everything else is... then the plant wont be competing for nutrients and water, and everyone and everything is happy....

right?

Re: 522? - 11/02/13 09:47 PM

The American diet has never been worse than it is today.

Here is something to think about. We were genetically engineered to have two ears and one mouth and our mouths are bigger than our assholes for one reason. We are designed to take in more than we let out. Ponder that one.

Re: 522? - 11/02/13 09:48 PM

Originally Posted By: tj
We are living longer and cancer rates have dropped since GMO foods were introduced

Direct correlation, too, I'm sure.

No, it ISN'T breeding, Nate. Breeding is when you have your lab fu.ck a dachsund. Genetic engineering is taking genes from an earthworm and putting them in a dachsund. Those aren't the same thing in my book.

Re: 522? - 11/02/13 09:57 PM

they didnt take genes from anything tho Dan, they fed the plants small amounts of the herbicide until it no longer responded to it, and could tolerate all of the bad in it, to inevitably "help" it...

kinda like us and DPT and Flu shots and whatnot...

then, they took those plants, and bred them with regular plants, to produce huge crops, but also be resistant to herbicides...

just like they took Cannabis Ruderalis, and cross pollinated it with Cannabis Indica, and Cannabis Sativa, to produce a plant that didnt need the 12/12 light cycle, but automatically flowers during its plant cycle, even tho the lights are on 24 hours a day....

its breeding... the pollen has to come from a specific species in order to pollinate, meaning you cant take a Apple trees pollen, and cross it with wheat, and get Apple flavored Wheaties, it doesnt work that way... it has to come from the same species in order to work, and that all boils down to breeding... but yes, there were "engineers" that started the process... if you want to call them engineers... i call them people that dont give a fvck about the Earth, and only about money in their pockets...
Posted by: wntrrn

Re: 522? - 11/02/13 10:01 PM

Originally Posted By: Dan S.
Originally Posted By: tj
We are living longer and cancer rates have dropped since GMO foods were introduced

Direct correlation, too, I'm sure.

No, it ISN'T breeding, Nate. Breeding is when you have your lab fu.ck a dachsund. Genetic engineering is taking genes from an earthworm and putting them in a dachsund. Those aren't the same thing in my book.

Dan, good effort. But, he has Google and time on his side. Not much else.

Re: 522? - 11/02/13 10:02 PM

No direct correlation he inferred that there was. There is no evidence that GMO causes cancer or any illness.

Re: 522? - 11/02/13 10:05 PM

i havent used google once, im not even sitting here, i can also show you a screen cap of my search history if you would like...

this sh!t is all common knowledge to me, i learned about it over 15 years ago while i was in the Horticulture program for RTC and the FFA...

Re: 522? - 11/02/13 10:10 PM

No direct correlation he inferred that there was. There is no evidence that GMO causes cancer or any illness.

Nate. Looked up Cardinis Caesar the first ingredient listed is soybean oil. Hard to find a commercial soybean that is not GMO. It also has xanthum gum which is made from corn. Again hard to find a non GMO commercial corn. The eggs were from chickens most likely fed GMO feed grains.

Re: 522? - 11/02/13 10:10 PM

Nate. Looked up Cardinis Caesar the first ingredient listed is soybean oil. Hard to find a commercial soybean that is not GMO. It also has xanthum gum which is made from corn. Again hard to find a non GMO commercial corn. The eggs were from chickens most likely fed GMO feed grains.

Re: 522? - 11/02/13 10:19 PM

smoking is the only thing that causes cancer?

sh!t, tell that to my friend that died a year after my dad did that got diagnosed with some fvcked off cancer that smokers get, and he told the doctor "but ive never smoked in my life", and died 4 months later.... he was the Foreman on the job, and worked wtih my dad for 10 years, so im fairly positive i knew the man....

Joad, i never claimed to be a mixologist or manufacturer of salad dressings or anything of the sort... but, there are plenty of places to get non GMO ingredients if the company seeks that for its reputation...

go buy a bottle, and tell me its not the best most natural tasting ceasar on the market, then, go get a bottle of Kraft, and report back...

Re: 522? - 11/02/13 10:21 PM

Wrong as usual Saladtosser early detection of colorectal breast and prostrate cancers and associated treatments count for .75 of the 20% decline in the past 20 years. That firmly puts you in nates camp of talking out your ass.

Re: 522? - 11/02/13 10:31 PM

about these plants, im not talking out of my ass...

about cancer, i dont know alot about it, all i know is that its affected my family and friends, and ive lost a quite a few people because of it....

could it be because of GMO foods? YES... could it be from lifestyle? YES... could it be "in the family"? YES...

is there a deffinate for sure answer as to why cancer runs rampant throughout the world with no cure in sight?

NO...

we dont know enough yet...

to say that GMO foods have decreased cancer since their inception (you said rates have dropped since they came in) is talking out your fvcking ass....

and is probably one of the stupider things ive heard in my life...

Re: 522? - 11/02/13 10:33 PM

4:30 your time queefer. You still have time put the The pipe down to go for a run and cut some of that fat off your waist. However based on family pictures you have posted genetics are not on your side. Pretty embarrassing to be your age on the beach with fat hanging off your sides.

Re: 522? - 11/02/13 10:42 PM

no, but not smoking hasnt done it either... neither have GMO foods rofl god that sh!ts dumb...

but it most definately has reduced the mortality of it...

Re: 522? - 11/02/13 10:52 PM

you are going to argue that part of it?

J.F.C.

alright, your right, im wrong, you win....

congrats?

fvckin a rofl

Re: 522? - 11/02/13 10:52 PM

Queefer a minimum wage ex bait boy now busboy with nothing but a HS diploma calling anyone stupid is well stupid. Try some cardio and stay off the pipe

Re: 522? - 11/02/13 11:21 PM

Stand on your own two feet queef don't hide behind others . Anyone can call anyone stupid it's just harder to get away with it when you have done zero with your life but fling bait and stack dishes . People don't even have to speak English or even be able to read to do those jobs. That's why you are so hard on Nate. You are him with a low paying job. One rung up from the bottom is still the bottom.

Re: 522? - 11/02/13 11:32 PM

Joad, who are you trying to clown? you just said that GMO foods decreased cancer... either you are a Monsanto employee, or an idiot... or possibly both....

SS, 522 has nothing to do with the GMO foods being grown and used itself, people want it labeled as such, so they can decide for themselves if they want to eat it....

if places have to notify people if their meals are "Kosher", or certian religions (take a crack), that dont eat Beef, can sue places for putting it in the meals without notifying them, making them commit a sin in their religion,

how the HELL do regular people not have the right to know if their food is screwed with or not, and have the choice to eat it or not, due to if they have beliefs (like religion and such do) that it will be bad for them?

do you guys even understand why this is even an issue?

Re: 522? - 11/02/13 11:42 PM

Nate. I said no such thing. I said cancer rates have dropped since the intro of GMO foods. Think about it.

Re: 522? - 11/02/13 11:51 PM

We have better reporting of death stats.

Re: 522? - 11/02/13 11:51 PM

theres only 2 ways to decipher that Joad..

way 1, GMO foods have decreased cancer.

way 2, since the introduction, people were more cautious about what they ate, because they knew about the GMO foods, and didnt want to eat them because of possible ill effects.... (not even knowing that Big Macs have GMO foods in them.. hell, they are basically their own GMO breed...)

way 2, is what people are trying to accomplish...

if certian religions require or should i say have gotten McDonalds to require information backed by the US Government, so that people can have "Kosher", meals, or Al Queda can have a chicken sandwich and know fully it never came in contact with Beef, or anywhere near it,

the Joe Fvcking Schmoe deserves to know how his sh!t was grown, and how what the hell is in it...

AT ALL COSTS...

because it costs money to do what diners and fast food chains have to do, you know, extra people to be extra cautious about conditions, and what goes where...

its all common fvckin sense...

Re: 522? - 11/02/13 11:55 PM

When you die in the us your cause of death is more likely to be recorded close to the proximal cause. Same with diagnosed stats.

Re: 522? - 11/02/13 11:58 PM

and guess who gets a sh!t ton of GMO grains from the US, Hank...

Re: 522? - 11/02/13 11:58 PM

Nate . Cancer rates going down since the intro of GMO foods shows that the two are unrelated . GMO foods have never even remotely been tied to cancer.

Re: 522? - 11/03/13 12:00 AM

YET...

Re: 522? - 11/03/13 12:09 AM

oh it was just speculation...

Japanese have a high grain diet, with the noodles, rices, and what not...

alot of that sh!t comes from us...

people here dont eat the same cuisine per say as them, so, just a potential possibility, if they decide to look into it....

like i said, plants soak that sh!t up, thats how it works... its IN it when you eat it, dry, wet, liquid, or powder.... you are eating Round Up, and im thinking, eating more of it would be worse than eating less...
Posted by: Sol Duc

Re: 522? - 11/03/13 12:14 AM

You girls are on full retard tonight. crazy

Re: 522? - 11/03/13 12:25 AM

Horsesh!t...

Japan is one of the largest export markets for U.S. wheat growers. Katsuhiro Saka, a counselor at the Japanese Embassy in Washington, D.C., said Thursday that Japan had canceled orders of western white wheat from the Pacific Northwest and also of some feed-grade wheat.

http://seattletimes.com/html/localnews/2021091091_gmowheat31xml.html

Re: 522? - 11/03/13 12:37 AM

hang around, you might learn something...

Re: 522? - 11/03/13 12:43 AM

no actually it doesnt....

who made the GMO wheat?

who backs the company?

and who has been getting in trouble for what they have been doing to other countries?

think about all of that....

there is no way to tell if its GM or not, so how would they know?

because someone said so?

rofl

Re: 522? - 11/03/13 12:43 AM

I feel wayyyyyyyy smarter now. beathead crazy beathead

Re: 522? - 11/03/13 12:51 AM

we ship our sh!t to broke ass countries Hank...

WTF else are they gonna eat, dirt?

we also ship it to countries that will pay for it... and just like the US, Japan uses GMO foods and doesnt label them as such...

so yes, its still possible, because the diets could have been completely different between each case of cancer, but all could have come down to 1 simple little thing...

Re: 522? - 11/03/13 01:07 AM

This will be won by whomever can refrain from eating their paste the longest.

Re: 522? - 11/03/13 01:10 AM

lmao.... rofl laugh

Re: 522? - 11/03/13 01:14 AM

Originally Posted By: _Nate_
hang around, you might learn something...

I have learned all kinds of things tonight so far and I anticipate more.

I learned, in no particular order:

1. Cup of Noodles is a handy snack food
2. Macaroni and Cheese is proper camp fare
3. GMO foods take 20 years to breed
4. GMO foods could have an indirect effect on groundwater
5. GMO have/haven't been linked to cancer
6. Roundup is absorbed through plant roots
7. Organic labeling means nothing
8. The US exports rice to Japan

I can't wait to hear more.

Re: 522? - 11/03/13 01:16 AM

none of us knows what causes cancer... not doctors, not you, not me, noone...

to say that an idea is "stupid", because you dont agree with it, when noone on the planet knows the true answer, thats kinda niave...

plants soak up and store whatever is around or on them... if they are drenched in Round Up, it will absorb both foliar and through the roots, and go into the plant, and stay there for a while... some things, stay way longer than others depending on if its a tree, or a shrub, or a small Thyme plant...

but it still gets soaked in there, and its still there when you eat it... (even after "estimated per application time frames)

you guys will figure it out some day...

Re: 522? - 11/03/13 01:27 AM

Originally Posted By: Reefer
This is the sort of unimaginable thread that happens when Hank has his eyes set on a post count and nate has some really potent weed. Sort of like the perfect storm.

you mispelled Jake, i hooked you up...

Re: 522? - 11/03/13 01:34 AM

i dont know what CYA is...

i dont need google power to tell you it could be a possibility, until you can come up with proof that they dont whatsoever, in any way shape or form, then we are still gonna be arguing about it...

was Agent Orange OK Hank?

another Monsanto product... same people who make the RU resistant seeds...

now im not anti GMO FVCK MONSANTO!! type dude, but its evident, they dont give a fvck about you... they want money... and the government backs them...

they did what to the Vietnamese? and you trust that sh!t?

seriously?

Re: 522? - 11/03/13 01:35 AM

dissipate means to leave Chuck...

dont 13k post tell me to shut up please...

Re: 522? - 11/03/13 01:43 AM

the same company that created that sh!t created Round Up, Hank...

you gonna trust that company?

i wont....

Re: 522? - 11/03/13 01:53 AM

no it doesnt work like that...

plants arent mammals... they dont have digestive systems that expel waste from their bodys...

the only way to rid them, is to flush the soil dead clean of ANYTHING in it, because a plants "heart", is in its ROOTS...

Re: 522? - 11/03/13 01:01 AM

plants arent mammals...

Re: 522? - 11/03/13 01:31 AM

ill tell you right now thats not a fvcking word...

try again?

Re: 522? - 11/03/13 01:48 AM

rofl

Re: 522? - 11/03/13 10:34 AM

This all makes me wonder what you would get if you cross the Nate and Hankster?

Re: 522? - 11/03/13 12:30 PM

All this talk from Hamster about a state initiative.................

lol

Re: 522? - 11/03/13 01:33 PM

Nobody here gives a fu.ck about you fags in California.

lol

Re: 522? - 11/03/13 01:42 PM

Yet here you are on the I=522 thread...................

Dumbass.
Posted by: Direct-Drive

Re: 522? - 11/03/13 02:32 PM

What's a PP political thread without a little name calling ?

Nicely done.

<ducking for cover>

smile

Re: 522? - 11/03/13 02:49 PM

wink

Re: 522? - 11/03/13 05:42 PM

JTFC ladies, it is safe to say that the science on whether GMOs are bad for you is unsettled. You are letting this distract you from the topic. You already have the right to choose to eat more expensive labeled GMO-free products, yet most people don't make this choice. If you go to the regular grocery store and buy any processed foods you have to know they likely have GMOs in them. This isn't about informing the consumer, this is about making GM foods more expensive because a small minority has a fetish about what they eat.

Apparently the Girl Scouts can't agree either.

http://mnhopkins.blogspot.se/2013/10/girl-scouts-and-girl-guides-take-on-gmo.html?m=1

rofl
Posted by: Sky-Guy

Re: 522? - 11/04/13 03:02 PM

a poll on King5.com of voters show that 52% of respondents voted yes, to 42% no.
http://www.king5.com/home/related/How-are-you-voting-on-I-522-230509001.html
Posted by: Rocket Red

Re: 522? - 11/04/13 03:06 PM

I voted no. I usually do for initiatives unless they make really good sense. Take a walk through Wal-Mart, how many people are going to check labels beyond the price? All this adds is another layer of BS for the manufacturer's of this food.

If I don't give a sh!t what I eat, why should anyone else? I take that back, my wife told me we were eating salads all this week to make up for the Halloween candy binge (this makes me sad). She is allowed to but that is it.

Newsflash: You are going to die, maybe tomorrow, maybe in 60 years. It may or may not be from what you ate or inhaled. It might be your kids pulling the plug on you for being a d!ck and making them buy seaweed chips at Whole Foods instead of a bag of Doritos at 7-11.
Posted by: Salmo g.

Re: 522? - 11/04/13 04:00 PM

I voted for it last week already.

I'll probably vote for it again tomorrow. Vote early; vote often, ya' know.

The main persuasion for supporting this initiative is due to the $22 million spent against it by Monsanto, Bayer, Dow, and Dupont. More than has ever been spent on a WA state initiative. And since the money comes from global corporate interests that make their money by working against my interests, it only makes sense to vote for the initiative.

Even so, I ate my first burger ever from an In-and-Out restaurant in San Jose yesterday cuz people say they are the best. Something about fresh beef patties, fresh veggies, etc. Probably everything they serve is GMO, just speculating. However I don't think it's any better than a local Big Tom deluxe from Eagan's. And the Big Tom is, well, bigger.

Hank, you mentioned that the benefits of GMO outweigh any known liabilities. You're an old fart and should remember they said the same thing about DDT and most of the then-new post-WWII organic compounds. Would you still use DDT on your corn and tomatoes today?

Sg
Posted by: Lucky Louie

Re: 522? - 11/04/13 04:49 PM

In CA there was about a 6-1 ratio of money against Prop 37
Companies like Monsanto and The Hershey Co. contributed to what was eventually a $44 million windfall for "No on Prop 37," while proponents were only able to raise $7.3 million, reports California Watch.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/11/07/prop-37-defeated-californ_n_2088402.html

Record-Setting Outside Money Pours Into Washington State to Combat GMO Labeling Initiative which stands at about a 3-1 ratio against 522.

That is over $66 million for just these two states ballots-- with more states eventually putting these on their ballots as well. You are paying whether you realize it or not.

I would like to know what products are GMO, along with what is the $66,000,000 secret?
Posted by: Rocket Red

Re: 522? - 11/04/13 05:08 PM

Exactly. Same crappy food but with a different label, and while a few folks will change their eating habits, most will not.

So what is the point in a new regulation?

Re: 522? - 11/04/13 05:15 PM

Originally Posted By: Hankster
Originally Posted By: Salmo g.

Hank, you mentioned that the benefits of GMO outweigh any known liabilities. You're an old fart and should remember they said the same thing about DDT and most of the then-new post-WWII organic compounds. Would you still use DDT on your corn and tomatoes today?

Sg

Yeah, DDT (a synthetic compound manufactured to kill mosquitoes and other pests) is just like a GMO seed. grin

A greater similarity than you realize apparently.

Re: 522? - 11/04/13 05:18 PM

Yeah, the $66,000,000 secret is that it's worth that much or more to their respective piles of money. They could just label all the food, regardless of what state it's being shipped to, and not have to fight the label war in every state. Voluntarily label -- hmmm, didn't FP mention that alternative a earlier in this thread?

Re: 522? - 11/04/13 05:28 PM

I'm going to vote for 522.

Monsanto only thinks about their bottom line and the health of the masses is the least of their worries.

Another product they produce is aspartame which is used in diet products especially diet soft drinks.

If you drink diet soda and are having any weird side effects google it sometime and see what kind of company you are backing.

They could care less that they are killing you with a thousand cuts.

Re: 522? - 11/04/13 05:37 PM

Sheesh Hank, if I were a chemist I'd spell it out for you, but that would be even more complicated. They genetically alter seeds by injecting synthetic organic compounds. While harmful effects have not been proven yet, that doesn't mean they won't some time in the near future. There were no proven harmful effects of DDT either, until after it had been in use for quite a while. Sorry if my example was too complicated.
Posted by: Todd

Re: 522? - 11/04/13 05:38 PM

Not going to bother reading the eight pages in this thread...I'm voting for it, and if you don't like knowing what's in your food you can just continue not reading the labels, it's your "choice".

Fish on...

Todd

Re: 522? - 11/04/13 06:02 PM

I don't care to outlaw them, nor do I care to make others only eat what I want to eat...I just want to know what's in my food so I can choose to eat what I want.

Anyone who is against having more information is lying to you about something.

It's funny how the same folks who blabber on and on about "personal responsibility" and "choice" don't want you to be able to choose based on having all the information possible...they want to be able to tell you what information they want you to know.

Hypocrites? Of course. Surprised? Of course not.

Fish on...

Todd

Re: 522? - 11/04/13 06:05 PM

I get your paranoia regarding the possibility they might eventually find harmful side effects. But they've been around since the early '70s and so far the EPA, USDA, FDA, several independent laboratories and other international bodies haven't found any harm in them.

So, these scientist you believe? Unfrickingbelievable.
Posted by: AP a.k.a. Kaiser D

Re: 522? - 11/04/13 07:02 PM

I can't believe I read this whole thing.

Redhook posted 30 times on this thread.
Hank has posted 27 times on this thread.
I think that means RedHook wins? He also started a paragraph off with "see,".

Re: 522? - 11/04/13 07:08 PM

its something im interested in...

something wrong with that?

since you want to take gramatical aspects and flaunt them,

i never have been known as Redhook, or RedHook, its always been redhook...

its not that the seeds themselves that can harm you, its what they do in the process of growing that can harm you... by drenching them with RU and letting them soak that sh!t in... its what plants do... soak sh!t up, and store it in their fibers...

if you are OK with that, alright... id rather know if i am eating that crap or not... because noone has a steak full of hormones and steroids, with a cob of genetically altered corn, and a glass of RU for dinner, and is OK with it.... atleast not me...

Re: 522? - 11/04/13 07:09 PM

You would have to be chemist to know what is really in your food unless you grew the food and the food that you fed to the food you grow. It's a feel good measure that achieves nothing but raising costs and creating more govt.

Re: 522? - 11/04/13 07:16 PM

It's Big Brother to make people tell you what is in the food they are trying to sell you?

Bullschit.

Fish on...

Todd

Re: 522? - 11/04/13 07:24 PM

Almost all commercially packaged beer contains butlated hydroxyAnisole and dihydrogen monoxide it's on the label what does it tell you? Both are very toxic compounds are you going to stop drinking beer because they have to now put GMO on the label?

Re: 522? - 11/04/13 07:29 PM

No...and not surprisingly, I never said anything that should lead you to think that, or even ask it.

What I said, again, is that we should have the right to know what is in our food and be able to make our choices based on that.

You should have the information, too, and if you choose to ignore whether or not there are GMO products in your food, then we both get the same thing...all the information possible, and the ability to make whatever choices we want based on that information.

Fish on...

Todd

Re: 522? - 11/04/13 07:30 PM

rofl

do you know what dihydrogen monoxide even is?

Re: 522? - 11/04/13 07:31 PM

rofl

do you know what dihydrogen monoxide even is?

Dumbass...the joke isn't funny if you have to explain it.

Fish on...

Todd
Posted by: The Moderator

Re: 522? - 11/04/13 07:32 PM

Originally Posted By: Tom Joad
dihydrogen monoxide it's on the label what does it tell you?

That tells me you are looking at a can of Olympia.

"It's the water!"

beer

Originally Posted By: AP a.k.a. Kaiser D
I can't believe I read this whole thing.

You poor sad bastard. wink

PS. The 206'ers are going to pass 522, so if you don't live in King County or specifically in Seattle, why the hell are you even voting? Really, only my vote counts around here. It's the only perk of living in Seattle. wink

Re: 522? - 11/04/13 08:17 PM

Originally Posted By: Chuck S.
Beer Busch Light Can

It's too late. The GMOs appear to have already rotted your brain!

Re: 522? - 11/04/13 08:23 PM

Beer is an interesting item. Currently there is no requirement to list the chemicals used in the brewing process or what ends up in the can nor what is used to line the can. The only thing that has to be listed is the nutrition info. Of they have to list GMO you still won't know what's in the can.

Re: 522? - 11/04/13 08:24 PM

Originally Posted By: Hankster
Beer is just one of those 'feel good' beverages with little or no nutritional value.

German's have long said beer is food: Comfort food?

Re: 522? - 11/05/13 02:07 PM

Originally Posted By: salmosalar
Beer has food value. Food has no beer value.

Go Red Sox,
cds

That salar guy knows a thing or two about chemistry. No wonder he brews such a good ale.
Posted by: FleaFlickr02

Re: 522? - 11/05/13 04:12 PM

In principle, I like the idea of people having the information they need to make decisions about what they eat. Like others, however, I strongly question the resolve of most people (myself sometimes included), even armed with that information, to factor it into their food purchase decisions. I spend most of my food money on whole foods, but I do enjoy some good, old-fashioned crap now and again, and knowing what's in that crap will only lead to guilt and stress I don't need. (BTW, I submit that the stress we subject ourselves to every day worrying about life $hit does far more to cause cancer and other diseases than the food we eat.)

Moreover, this can only result in increased food prices and more unnecessary, expensive regulation. Gas prices and other factors have already caused food costs to increase dramatically in recent years (ever notice that when the gas prices drop, food prices don't? Hmmmm....) Regardless of the quality (or lack thereof) going into what we eat, I think we can all agree that food is essential. As such, I think we should avoid anything that increases the cost of food unnecessarily, even if it seems like a good idea in principle. I think I'll vote no on this one.

Like several others, I hate corporations like Monsanto, and I am all for giving them hell and costing them money. I figure that just by putting this on the ballot, we have cost them a lot of money. If we really want to mess with them, why not vote this down and put a similar initiative on the next ballot, then another, then another.... I suppose the answer is that they will just turn around and make consumers pay the bill by raising their prices. I think we know by now the government won't step in to prevent it if they do.

We're screwed, either way. I say, let's not trip over a dime trying to pick up a nickel.

Re: 522? - 11/06/13 01:17 AM

Tok

Re: 522? - 11/06/13 01:21 AM

Nice to see there's still a shred of common sense around. wink
Posted by: Dogfish

Re: 522? - 11/06/13 11:29 AM

In McCleary we go to the polling place (VFW Hall), drop off our ballot, and get a sticker. No stamps needed.

Glad it is failing. The referrendum, while it had good intentions, was flawed as written, and this issue needs to be addressed on a national level, not a state or county level.

Re: 522? - 11/06/13 01:27 PM

Originally Posted By: Dogfish
The referrendum, while it had good intentions, was flawed as written, and this issue needs to be addressed on a national level, not a state or county level.

I couldn't agree more. I did vote FOR it though because I'm not sure it will ever get addressed at a national level. Federal-level politicians' decisions on this have been bought and I'm not sure they will ever represent their constituents on this issue. The fact it hasn't been addressed on a larger level is the whole reason for the initiative. Yes, it was a horrible initiative that would have increased costs, been absolutely messy, and left a ton of loopholes BUT it may have gotten us one step closer towards getting this fixed on a national level.

The demand for increased food labeling is another slow-building movement that is sweeping the country. Like equal rights or legal marijuana, these are issues that get traction in a state (or limited number of states) and then begin spreading. This is still the start and I really believe that, at some point, the labeling some people want will shift from being controversial to being common sense.

Like others here, I still think growing/killing/gathering your own food is the best individual choice you can make. Keep the ingredient list short.

Re: 522? - 11/07/13 03:15 PM

Like so many other things in this country, the outcome is eventually inevitable...it will all be labelled. Those who benefit from hiding the information are hanging on tooth and nail to that disinformation campaign, but in the US, thankfully, those who support expansion of rights and information eventually win out over those who seek to keep you in the dark.

Fish on...

Todd

Re: 522? - 11/18/13 11:14 PM

“Many companies hope to send an employee into a government agency to influence regulation. How much better if the employee can actually shape government regulation to promote and sell a specific product!...

Monsanto seems to have accomplished this — and much more…

Taylor’s story, however, is not just about milk, or even mainly about milk. During his second posting at the FDA, as Deputy Commissioner for Policy 1991–1994, Agency scientists were grappling with questions about the overall safety of genetically engineered foods (often labeled Genetically Modified Organisms).

As Jeffrey Smith notes,
[Internal] memo after memo described toxins, new diseases, nutritional deficiencies, and hard to detect allergens. [Staff scientists] were adamant that the technology carried “serious health hazards,” and required careful, long-term research, including human studies. …

The Agency, under Taylor’s and later under others’ leadership, simply ignored these findings…

No human studies were required. GMO foods were allowed to enter the food supply unregulated by the FDA and barely regulated by the USDA, which views them as an important US export product…”

http://www.lewrockwell.com/2013/11/hunter-lewis/dangerous-food-and-crony-capitalism