Buster Posey

Posted by: Anonymous

Buster Posey - 06/03/18 03:51 PM

I just thought I would throw this out there for the 31 year old catcher of the Giants. Career BA so far .308. Career OPS so far .848. 1200 + hits. 613 RBIs. Defensively he is consistently one of the best catchers in the league,despite suffering an almost career ending injury.
3 world series rings,
2010 NL Rookie of the Year
2012 NL MVP
2012 NL Hank Aaron Award
2012 NL batting_title
2012 NL Comeback Player of the Year
2015 Wilson Def Player
2016 Wilson Def Player
5X all star
1 gold glove
4 silver slugger awards
4 seasons top 10 BA
4 seasons top 10 WAR
3 seasons top 10 obp 2 seasons slugging
and way more stats that put him as a hall of famer already.
The kid has always been a locker room leader and carries himself with class and maturity. I'm going to go out there and say it,he's the best Giant since Mays and McCovey,he's an absolute beast,humble,a good baseball guy. And I think he's grossly overlooked because of the Giants recent struggles,even though SF was Dominant ,making the playoffs in 2010 2012 2014 and 2016,and winning world series titles in 2010 2012 and 2014. This year despite struggling offensively and having pitching issues we are 2 games out of first in a division that is struggling mind you,at a game under .500.

Buster Posey is a beast. He is batting like .298 and I am predicting we go on a tear the second half this season. Once our starters get healthy we have the hitting to get us there and our bullpen is shaping up. LA sucks bad this year.
Posted by: NickD90

Re: Buster Posey - 06/04/18 01:04 PM

+1. Posey is a beast and a HOF candidate if he keeps healthy. Between Posey, Trout and Ohtani, there is some serious talent down in Cali for fans to watch.
Posted by: Carcassman

Re: Buster Posey - 06/04/18 06:48 PM

As I collect trips around the sun I find that I appreciate quality performances by players on teams other than mine. As a kid, there was nothing a Giant could do that was quality. At that included Willie (M and McC) and Juan. I like things now.
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: Buster Posey - 06/06/18 12:41 AM

I'm a big Will the Thrill fan,he was fun to watch as a kid,but Tim Lincecum and Bungarner,Cain , that pitching in 2010 and the Bum in 2014 were the best pitching performances I've ever seen .

Re: Buster Posey - 06/06/18 12:20 PM

Sandy 1963-66.... That was pitching.

Re: Buster Posey - 06/06/18 07:13 PM

I listened to the Spahn/Juan game, at least until I had to go to bed. Being from the Cultural Armpit of the West (Sacramento) and living with Giants fans we listened to all the games. Russ and Lon. I remember (65, I think) when Willie hit more than 50, one of which was off a reliever who kept challenging him with heat. Until Willie caught up with one. Something like a 10 pitch AB.

I'd take a rotation of Sandy, Juan, Gibby, and (Warren, Whitey, Big D), run them out every 4th day, and probably start printing World Series tickets in June. With how willing current hitters are to fan, I suspect the first three would each K over 300 easy and probably bust 400.

Not only were they good, they were fun to watch. Get the ball, throw the ball.

Re: Buster Posey - 06/06/18 09:45 PM

Originally Posted By: Carcassman
With how willing current hitters are to fan, I suspect the first three would each K over 300 easy and probably bust 400.

When was the last time you saw ANY modern hitter choke up on a 0-2 count and slap a ball in play? Maybe Ichiro, but that's about it. Those pitchers would crush today and none of them threw all that hard. Hell, I'd pay much money to watch Maddux make a fool of today's modern go big or go home hitter, and he wasn't even that long ago. Control > speed when they'll swing at anything.
Posted by: Sol Duc

Re: Buster Posey - 06/06/18 10:29 PM

Sounds like you're describing Jamie Moyer. wink

Re: Buster Posey - 06/07/18 10:05 AM

It would really have been fun to see Satchel Paige pitch to today's free swingers. One story (who knows the truth) is that he'd warm up over a dime or a matchbox and only skim the corners.

Re: Buster Posey - 06/07/18 01:23 PM

Ted Williams claimed to read the logo on the ball before making contact with his bat,maybe a knuckle ball. smile Both probably just urban legends....entertaining though.
Posted by: 5 * General Evo

Re: Buster Posey - 06/07/18 04:05 PM

CLemens (one against the M's) and Ryan and Randy had some pretty impressive games...

Ryan is probably my favorite pitcher, it sure was awesome watching him beat the sh!t out of Robin Ventura....

Re: Buster Posey - 06/07/18 04:24 PM

Nolan Ryan had 7 no hitters....that will never be broken. I wonder how many one hitters he had? 15-20??? UFB. thumbs

Re: Buster Posey - 06/07/18 04:37 PM

not to mention 5700+ strike outs, and a 108 MPH fastball.... neither of those will be beaten either...

Aroldis Chapman did come close tho...

as well as Feller and Paige, which either of them could have had that record i suppose, if they played in the same era.... but they didnt have guns then so you cant get a super precise reading....

Re: Buster Posey - 06/07/18 06:08 PM

Nolan had 12 one hitters and 18 two hitters...and never won a Cy Young....that's crazy.

Re: Buster Posey - 06/07/18 06:11 PM

Originally Posted By: Evo
and a 108 MPH fastball.....

That's only 28 more than your heater......lol

Re: Buster Posey - 06/07/18 08:00 PM

i never could pitch... hitting, another story...

think about it this way tho, plenty of outfielders throw that fast and faster throwing from the corners to home plate... Ichiro would be a very good example of that...

hes just not accurate with pitches to be a pitcher....

85 isnt that fast... ive been to batting cages that had faster...

Re: Buster Posey - 06/07/18 08:49 PM

What the ever lovin' fvck you goin' on about?

1) Crow hops and full throws enable outfield arm leverage, speed and hence ball velocity. The mechanics are entirely different. Throwing 100 mph one time a game is not the same as 85 - 95 mph 84 times a game. Not even fookin' close.

B) Ichiro was / is a fantastic pitcher and has GREAT accuracy. He pitched in Japan, a few live MLB innings and just threw 200 soft pitches the other night at M's BP. He was the M's disaster relief pitcher for his entire career here.

3) 85 is plenty fast. I've faced 95 and down in live fookin' games. A consistent 85 with placement and maybe a little movement will earn you real money cuz' that'll sit most butts on pine.

Just stop.

Re: Buster Posey - 06/07/18 08:58 PM

so then you agree throwing 85 1 time is possible for a person that you may not agree with that you dont even know?...

thanks for clearing that up....

85 isnt that fast... placement and control is finesse, and has nothing to do with speed... its basically the hitting aspect of pitching... some can, some cant...

Re: Buster Posey - 06/07/18 09:22 PM

I believe you. Yeah sure why not? You threw 85 one time no problem. I wasn't arguing that point and I don't care if you did or didn't.

85 is plenty fast with any level of control or movement. The average MLB fastball is currently 92 MPH. That's a fastball, not a cutter at 89, change up at 87, curve at 82 or slider at 80 or any another fookin' pitch that's slower than the current MLB FB average of 92 mph.

Oh and BTW - Chapman has the MLB & World Record for fastest recorded live game pitch at 105.1 mph. Ryan's fastest pitch ever recorded was 100.9 mph, which was the old record at one point. Nobody in the history of mankind has thrown a game pitch at 110 mph.

You don't know what you are talking about (again), but please keep digging away. It's enjoyable placing fact rocks under your chit shovel.

Re: Buster Posey - 06/07/18 09:28 PM

lol the Cuban Missiles pitch was first recorded at 106, then they degraded it... that was with the gun where it is now....

Nolans pitch was 100.9 with an odd placement of the radar, if you go by TIME, his pitch was over 108 MPH...

this [Bleeeeep!] aint new, and for someone that talks like that, you should have known that....

Re: Buster Posey - 06/07/18 09:30 PM

https://www.si.com/extra-mustard/2015/04/22/fastball-pitching-documentary-mlb

Re: Buster Posey - 06/07/18 09:59 PM

What's on the gun during live game play is all that matters. Not revisionist time studies. Maybe that sucks for Nolan, but dems da breaks.

Re: Buster Posey - 06/07/18 10:04 PM

Nolan always said the key to his success was his lower trunk being so sturdy.

Re: Buster Posey - 06/08/18 06:46 AM

Speed's pretty but what counts most is control. Look at Ryan and Koufax. Early on, with control issues they were marginal W/L which is the only measure of a pitcher's effectiveness. Cut out the walks.

It is interesting that today's pitchers are often viewed by the chronologically gifted fan as "weak", being limited to maybe 100-120 pitches on a good day. While not arguing that too many pitches may destroy an arm, K and those guys were going complete games at or below 100. Too many wasted pitches, some of which may be the responsibility of the Man in Blue.
Posted by: Salmo g.

Re: Buster Posey - 06/08/18 08:57 AM

Originally Posted By: Sol Duc
Ted Williams claimed to read the logo on the ball before making contact with his bat,maybe a knuckle ball. smile Both probably just urban legends....entertaining though.

I don't know about his reading the logo, but I did read that he claimed to see the ball make contact with his bat. No doubt he had excellent eye sight; he was a pilot in WWII, but seeing the moment of bat and ball contact seems crazy to me. That 92 mph fastball is traveling at about 135 fps. It takes well under one second for the ball to leave the pitcher's arm and reach the plate. The batter has maybe one-half second to decide to swing or not swing at the pitch. Seeing the ball make contact with the bat - damn, that's quick.

Re: Buster Posey - 06/08/18 10:37 AM

I have read some articles on the physics of hitting a baseball. It is physically impossible for the eyeball to move fast enough to follow the ball from hand to bat. At least at major league speeds. What they suspect happens is that the eye "jumps" rather than smoothly following the ball. So, Ted saw it coming and then moved the eye to where bat would meet ball. Regardless, he could put the round bat on the round ball square.
Posted by: Paul Smenis

Re: Buster Posey - 06/08/18 10:57 AM

Originally Posted By: Evo
i never could pitch... hitting, another story...

think about it this way tho, plenty of outfielders throw that fast and faster throwing from the corners to home plate... Ichiro would be a very good example of that...

hes just not accurate with pitches to be a pitcher....

85 isnt that fast... ive been to batting cages that had faster...

You never seem to let us down.