Drag washers

Posted by: steelheadaddict02

Drag washers - 01/12/03 01:26 PM

My abu garcia levelwind has a really bad drag ( pretty much non-existant) a friend recommended replacing the drag washers. I purchased some and ready to install.
I seem to recall reading in a STS article that you must soak them in oil. Is this correct?
I can't seem to find the article and dont want to mess the new ones up

Thanks for the help
Posted by: ParaLeaks

Re: Drag washers - 01/12/03 02:49 PM

Would you put oil on the truck's brakes? I have three Ambassador's...always have put them in dry. They will compress with use and give you at least a couple of good seasons. Good Fishin'!
Posted by: Drifter

Re: Drag washers - 01/12/03 03:18 PM

Soak in warm water after use in saltwater, let dry and then back drag and spool tensioner off all the way. Drag washers last a lot longer this way.
Posted by: Bob

Re: Drag washers - 01/12/03 10:08 PM

Those are meant to be dry washers on those reels, so no grease!! moose

Shimanos are generally the opposite, at least for the larger diamter washers, grease 'em up!
Posted by: steelheadaddict02

Re: Drag washers - 01/13/03 07:22 PM

thanks for the help....
Posted by: escapee

Re: Drag washers - 01/13/03 09:16 PM

I always put my drag washers in dry, no grease or oil. If they get grease or oil on them then I will clean with solvent and dry them off. If the drag isn't perfectly smooth the I will lubricate with powdered graphite. It comes in a tube from a hardware store in with the padlocks. works great, I have fetish for smooth drags and that is the only lube I will use on them.