Minimum boat size for saltwater fishing

Posted by: Arklier

Minimum boat size for saltwater fishing - 01/19/03 05:19 PM

What would you say that the minimum size for a boat would be to safely fish in Puget Sound? How about on the coast or up in BC? Thanks.
Posted by: Easy Limits

Re: Minimum boat size for saltwater fishing - 01/19/03 05:24 PM

I would say 14' for Puget Sound. I don't know about the coast or B.C.
Posted by: PiperFLA

Re: Minimum boat size for saltwater fishing - 01/19/03 05:28 PM

I fish out of a 14 aluminum boat with a 9.9hp... seems to work pretty good... I dont really fish far that from the boat ramp though.

Alway watch the weather and the tides!
Posted by: jimh

Re: Minimum boat size for saltwater fishing - 01/19/03 05:59 PM

I've always heard that the design of the boat makes a huge difference in that if your bow breaks a wave, you want it to break/drain out. Also, You'll want trim or trim tabs so that you can adjust how the boat is riding into the waves.

I bought a 20 ft based on several recommendations from dealers and friends. If Puget Sound is still, you can take anything out there. In parts of PS, 20 ft isn't big enough if it is rough, but I don't plan to be out there.

Waves will break into my windshield and it has a self draining bow. And I have trim tabs even though it is a jet sled. I got them because it is an inboard jet. I'm more comfortable with a safety margin.

So, it all depends on what conditions you are going to be out in, and how much room for error you want.

I don't know if this helps, but my 2 cents.
Posted by: HBP

Re: Minimum boat size for saltwater fishing - 01/19/03 07:02 PM

I'd say 14' also. I fish out of a 15' Aluminum with a 25hp. I've fished the Sound,the straits and anywhere in between. The only place I won't take it is the ocean. I've been out in some really rough spots at Seiku,but I know when to head for shore. If the weather looks iffy everyone puts on a PFD,with no arguments,or they don't go back out. And if you take it onto the bigger lakes in the state,don't think they won't get as rough or more than the salt.

The other thing about PFD's,is don't get the cheesy orange one's. They aren't comfortable to wear and are the bare neccesity,when hitting the big water.

Use some common sense,and you'll be alright.
Posted by: PiperFLA

Re: Minimum boat size for saltwater fishing - 01/19/03 07:31 PM

Quote:
If the weather looks iffy everyone puts on a PFD
I'd say wear it even when its calm! All it takes is a split second and you're swimming!

If I'm by myself its on, no questions asked...

I should wear it when I'm not alone as well but I have to admit I dont do it all the time flog
Posted by: K B

Re: Minimum boat size for saltwater fishing - 01/19/03 07:41 PM

it is not just the length , a deep V can take a lot more than a flat bottom
Posted by: Mooch

Re: Minimum boat size for saltwater fishing - 01/19/03 07:41 PM

Arklier,

It's not so much the size of the boat as it is the stability of the boat that matters. I used to fish my 14' driftboat 3 miles out at Seiku for silvers with my kids but you couldn't pay me to step foot in the old Sears Gamefisher lightweight aluminum boat I spent my life in as a youngster on the Sound. Worse case scenario, if I lose power or get caught in a storm, I want to be able to hunker down and drift till they find me, as opposed to being flipped over and counting the minutes I have left on this earth, PFD on or not. Its not that you need to go far or fast for salmon in the sound but you do want to be able to ride out an unexpected storm if you had to.
Also, fishing in a small craft with higher gunnels and less rocker is definately preferable. Good news is there are many good designs in small boats for the sound, The tried and true craft for Sound waters is the "kicker". The shorter "Livingston style" (twin hull) boats have proven themselves also. I prefer the fiberglass boats in the salt but Lund and Valco are worthy aluminum boats too.
Posted by: ParaLeaks

Re: Minimum boat size for saltwater fishing - 01/19/03 08:38 PM

Aluminum is handy because it is lighter, and therefore can be powered with a smaller motor. It also is noisier. Some models tend to get stress cracks from vibration and pounding in the waves (although there are plenty of good models around).

I prefer glass in a semi-v configuration. It is a good compromise for stability and yet cushions the rough water. One thing that is a must if you are going anywhere that you will be contending with following seas, heavy wind and/or high swells...enough horsepower to control the boat when mother nature wants to push you around is a must.

I ran a 1600 (15 foot) Olympic with a 50 horse outboard for a lot of years in some nasty, nasty stuff quite successfully.

Enjoy shopping

beer
Posted by: BossMan

Re: Minimum boat size for saltwater fishing - 01/19/03 09:27 PM

I have 16ft DB and was thinking of taking it out in the sound next summer. I'd only do it if the weather forcast was right. Am I crazy?

I thought my DB wouldn't be too crazy after watching a couple guys in a conoe with a small outboard trolling for coho off of Meadow Point as I was beach fishing.

Everyday I was out beach fishing it was dead flat in the sound.
Posted by: chaser

Re: Minimum boat size for saltwater fishing - 01/19/03 10:38 PM

I started fishing the sound in a 12 ft sears gamefisher my dad gave me. Common sense kept me in close to shore around the Mukultio area so I could scoot back in if it got rough. On occasion I would shoot across to possession if it was flat. When I moved up to a 14ft valco I was able to take on a little bit heavier water and on occasion shoot on out to the outer bar at possesion. I now have an 19ft center console that I wouldnt hesitate to take anywhere in the sound or even out into the ocean under favorable conditions. Something to keep in mind if your looking at a boat for the sound is that you "WILL" eventually take a wave over the bow and an open bow will greatly aggravate the situation as all that water that comes over will be in your boat and you'd better have a humongus bilge pump or a big bucket if you dont have a boat that is self bailing. Another suggestion is to get a boat with as big a fuel tank as you can afford as these days of area closures you've got to be able to cover some ground just to get to the open areas. good luck!

Re: Minimum boat size for saltwater fishing - 01/19/03 11:54 PM

Bossman,

I still use my faithful DB all the time out front of my place in Kingston. No problems. I do use a motor to get around up to Hansville and all the way down past Jeff Head. Just remember without a planing hull your going nowhere fast. I just enjoy the ride. Was out on Sat with all the big boys and boated a mighty fine BM in the first hour. Without a motor it's still doable if you're looking for some exercise. Watch the tides and stay out of the wind. Keep in mind on a clear day with the right tides guys in the ol days rowed, yes rowed, heavy wood skiffs from the Mukilteo/Meadowdale boathouses to Possession on a regular basis in search of salmon. I've even rowed the Caves and Freshwater Bay on the straits when my motor went down. The best part is that a DB is great for fly fishing resident coho and blackmouth along the shoreline. Two of us will trade off rowing up and down the shallows 6-8' waiting for them to show and casting to them. Tons of fun. Give a shot.
Posted by: Steve Ericsson

Re: Minimum boat size for saltwater fishing - 01/20/03 01:28 PM

Probably not in the same catagory as you are thinking, I have a 19' Bayliner runabout. I keep the bow cover on in rough weather so that any waves over the bow will mostly stay out of the boat. The previous owner told me he has taken water over the windshield off the mouth of the Columbia, however I will not be that brave/stupid! I agree with the above post about make sure you have enough horsepower to get back in rough water. I fish with a friend in a 14' Alaskan Smokercraft with a 50hp Merc jet. We troll with a Minn Kota RipTide trolling motor all day long. It will keep up trolling with the sleds with three of us easily, plus it is nice and quiet so it doesn't spook the fish. He did have a taller transom built, as waves over the transom were a real nuisance. It is great for rivers and such where I can't or won't take my boat.
Posted by: Titanium Cranium

Re: Minimum boat size for saltwater fishing - 01/20/03 02:09 PM

Good topic...

I'm considering an 18' open boat, 6 degree shallow V for the river with a 150 jet.

Does anyone take a similar configuration out in the sound?

Hey, Steve Ericsson - Are you originally from Mount Vernon?
Posted by: DUROBOAT15

Re: Minimum boat size for saltwater fishing - 01/20/03 02:23 PM

I like my 15' with 25hp for the sound havent had any problems at all.
Last summer on a charter out of westport I saw a 13' boston whaler about 10 miles out in the ocean.
also a friend of mine just got back from mexico where he and his dad ran a 14' livingston 45 miles out in the ocean fishing for dorado and sail fish. They caught 3 dorado. His dad has been doing this for years. From what they tell me alot of people do this down there (not me)
Posted by: sea_claire

Re: Minimum boat size for saltwater fishing - 01/20/03 06:26 PM

What size boat for saltwater is an open-ended question. For the Sound, the guys suggesting 15' are probably right. I used to have a 14' Smokercraft that did just fine.

But, now I fish the Strait mostly and except on really nice days, I wouldn't want that small of a boat. Midchannel Bank gets really choppy with any wind at all when the tide is running hard. Also, the afternoon winds at Sekiu are pretty nasty to get caught in.

If you want to fish the Strait or the ocean at all-- I go to Neah Bay a lot-- then you want something with some cover.

It also depends on the type of boat. I think a 17' Arima can handle the same water as most 21' boats. I fish a 15' Arima myself and have never enjoyed another boat as much. Not fast, but efficient, dry and I pull it with my Toyota 2wd. Saves on gas $$ towing.

Good luck. I went through the three bears routine myself-- too small, too big and then just right.
Posted by: F F F

Re: Minimum boat size for saltwater fishing - 01/20/03 08:08 PM

Well i have a 16ft smoker. Big enough i thought, when i bought it. And it does very well in the sound. I have never been scared in it except in the fog LOL.

BUT one day on our trip in Montana, lake fishing for Macks we had a big surprise. The lake is in an L shape and we fished the other side of the bend about 1 mile from the launch. On the way back we hit the bend of the lake and ran into very strong winds. Nothing special except for this time the wind waves were very deeply pocketed. Not really big but had big holes between them that made the boat nose into each wave. After the first 3 waves hit, i got scared. Waves came crashing over the bow and it seemed to get worse the closer we got to the launch. The bilge was on high but by the time we limped back to the launch, we were standing in 6 inches of water and i was ready for a new pair of shorts.

MY boat is by no means small but I know hull design had alot to do with that and i think a boat with a deeper V'd rear hull would have saved us the scare by preventing the rollercoaster effect and cutting into the wave more than just riding over the top of it. Lookaround and do some serious research. Read about what you WONT expect or didn't think of before you commit. Don't throw your life away just cuz it looks cool. GET what you pay for.

I KNOW we would have lost all our gear and the boat and maybe even our lives that day if we were in a smaller boat. I couldn't imagine the circumstances if you were to add a tide into that mix that day. Scary.
Posted by: bigb8bigfish

Re: Minimum boat size for saltwater fishing - 01/20/03 08:29 PM

Arklier, depending if you like to read the newspaper and troll or work like he77 and mooch, 17ft in the sound is prefect especially when in fishing in heavy traffic and enough to fish 3 comfortably. 22ft or better if fishing on the coast, the straits, san quan, or b.c. Also wether to get fiberglass or aluminum is preference. Since I strictly mooch, 'luminum sucks cause when a slight breeze kicks up, got to fire up the motor to hold position. Plus on a larger boat, one might want to bring crab pots, sleeping on the boat when sockeye opens in the lake, or if the old lady kicks one out of the house, just a matter do you have the room /the towing capacity /how far the launches are......... what

Robert
Posted by: Maguana

Re: Minimum boat size for saltwater fishing - 01/20/03 08:35 PM

I was told by a friend that should know that the Coast Guard won't let you cross the Grays Harbor Bar in less than a 18 footer.
Posted by: Chromeo

Re: Minimum boat size for saltwater fishing - 01/20/03 08:41 PM

done it in a 12'er before with an 8hp motor help

TTT

Re: Minimum boat size for saltwater fishing - 01/20/03 09:21 PM

with or without your parents permission?
Posted by: juggernaut

Re: Minimum boat size for saltwater fishing - 01/20/03 09:37 PM

I have a 171/2' SMOKERCRAFT (aluminum). Have had it out in gusts to 40 mph. Never was worried about making it back to the dock, as the boat handled the wind and waves great. Although my 171/2' boat (open bow) did well on this occasion, the depth and spacing between the swells is what ultimately will swamp your boat. The closest call I have ever had came from a super-tug during last summer in the south sound on a perfectly calm day. This tug put out three monster wakes that broke over the bow even though I was ready for them. There is now doubt that a covered bow (regardless of length) is ultimately "safer" than an open bow, especially in the shorter boats.This I believe is true until you get above 20-21'. Also, your knowledge of the area, weather and boat skills will help decide what is safe.
Posted by: spawnout

Re: Minimum boat size for saltwater fishing - 01/20/03 09:44 PM

I've always fished boats that are on the small side, and with all the bat launches and places to run to in the Sound I'd say the 15 foot Alaskan with a 25 that I have now, or something similar with a long shaft and 27 inch or better sides, is a pretty good choice if you want to stay on the small side. I used this on Johnstone Strait and even out into Queen Charlotte Sound last summer with no problems. Just don't wait for the waves to come up - when the wind starts head in. When it gets rough you also have to get off the step - real drag if you have a ways to go. Finally, the Alaskan doesn't have a well - again no big deal if you pay attention, but getting hit by a big boat wake or two in the @ss can potentially sink you. For these reasons, and also because several rivits loosened up this summer and since it's still on 100% warrenty I can get 100% trade in value, I'm trading mine in on a 16 foot Lodge Series - another half-foot of freeboard and a well make me feel better. The reason I can't consider something bigger is that most of the time my wife has a 4 horse trailer attached to the truck, so if I want to fish very much I have to have something that I can haul with the minivan rolleyes

Now what a lot of people don't know about freshwater is that it has less surface tension than saltwater and is a lot more prone to produce dangerous conditions even in a short fetch and moderate wind. Go out on Chelan some time in the 25 mph afternoon north wind we get all the time - with that 55 mile fetch and vertical sides it will give you 8 foot standing waves eek The Sound is safer.

I don't go in the ocean any more, but have in the distant past on a calm day in a 12 foot Valco with a 10 horse. Not an ocean boat however. I think I heard some "experts" say that because of the wave period in the Sound you would need a 21 foot or larger boat to keep from burying the bow in bad conditions. Probably would want something that size in the ocean also.
Posted by: ROCKFISH

Re: Minimum boat size for saltwater fishing - 01/20/03 11:13 PM

hey mooch is that you who I see launching a driftboat at eglon the last couple of years? just curious.

Re: Minimum boat size for saltwater fishing - 01/20/03 11:26 PM

RF,

More than likely. It's one of my go to honey holes on the zipperpond. You might've even seen me get baptised there one fine morning a few years back. Say hi if you see me puttin' around out there sometime.
Posted by: wormyhermie

Re: Minimum boat size for saltwater fishing - 01/21/03 02:59 AM

My dad (herm) and his buddy took our 17 foot almar light from PA to Just north of Petersburg AK. But i made that trip many times in a 42' thermodyne. I think i got more sleep. but they had more fun. thumbs
Posted by: herm

Re: Minimum boat size for saltwater fishing - 01/21/03 03:40 AM

It was an experience! Lot of fun.
We brought it all the way back too.

I imediately bought a 27' Trophy and took it the next time.

herm

Re: Minimum boat size for saltwater fishing - 01/21/03 11:16 AM

OK Arklier, it's settled!

A 17' Almar Lite and you are good to go. Period.

Awesome testimony Hermie. My hats off to you Herm. That's one for the books for sure. thumbs

My butt gets sore just thinking about it. Herm, how long did it take? Were you able to squeeze in any fishing along the way or was it express?

Re: Minimum boat size for saltwater fishing - 01/21/03 09:58 PM

Mooch,

It was a real hoot! We were gone 4 weeks 5 days. Base camped in Petersburg, Prince Rupert, Rivers Inlet, Alert Bay.

Fished everywhere! Caught from halibut to kelp perch. We had halibut and salmon processed and flown home from Petersburg .
We released what we didn't eat . We caught crabs and shrimp, dug clams.

Went thru three props, one cannon electric dwn rigger(fell off) 2 fishin poles (stepped on) we folded the happy troller when we were flushing the boat in the lake at home and broke the antenna backing the set up into the garage.

Sorry I got so chatty, (tmi)
herm laugh

Re: Minimum boat size for saltwater fishing - 01/22/03 10:12 PM

OOPS is the name of the Almar, the name is very appropriate.

herm
Posted by: fishingtoo

Re: Minimum boat size for saltwater fishing - 01/23/03 01:56 AM

IMHO, this is one of those occasions where bigger is indeed better! If you go too small, you will lose too many days fishing when the weather forecast is a little marginal, and you will limit places you can go i.e. that 14-15' boat is great in puget sound (most of the time, Iv'e seen 14' boat swamped at Mukilteo too) but what about if you want to try mid-channel bank, or sekiu, or Neah Bay? Going just a little bigger will open up a lot more doors for you. Also the deeper "V" makes a huge difference. I know someone who has a 17' Arima, who fishes out of Ilwaco for 15 days every year with no problems. One last tip, if going with that larger boat, get a cuddy cabin, not an open bow, even if the open bow can be canvassed over. I have a 19' and I went back & forth about getting cuddy vs open bow. thought the open bow would be more convenient if mooching. I ended up getting the cuddy, and would probably be crab bait today if I hadn't.
Posted by: Arklier

Re: Minimum boat size for saltwater fishing - 01/23/03 02:25 AM

Well, I went to the sportsman's show today, and fell in love with the Duckworths. But the lack of a real towing vehicle and approximately $20K meant I had to settle for a 10' Porta-bote. Oh well. Something to look forward to wink

Oh yeah, and I won't be taking it out in the salt, just so no one freaks smile