Blackmouth DERBY! 2/23/03

Posted by: Sky-Guy

Blackmouth DERBY! 2/23/03 - 01/31/03 03:18 AM

beer fishy Fishing area on south end in-between Alki Point and Restoration point, north end in-between Apple Cove point and Edwards point.

fishy Meet afterwards at a place local to the Shilshole Launch (We are going to call the Sloop, a fine local establishment) for food, drink, and the day's results.

fishy No tickets or sign ups, just fish and show up.

It can happen if we all pool together and make it happen. Would be a great way to end the season off.

What do you think?

BTW,
Bob, can we call it the Piscatorial Pursuits BM Flotilla? Didn't want to name it so without asking.
Posted by: troller

Re: Blackmouth DERBY! 2/23/03 - 01/31/03 09:34 AM

I might be able to make it. I will check with my fishing buddies and see if they want to go. I live south of their so usually use the alki launch dom armeni I believe. Is their a better way to get to shilsho with out turning on 45 th and hitting all those lights. Just a suggestion but the alki launch is pretty nice short run to maybe 5 minutes to west point and next to alki point and the smaller boat weather permitting can fish just off the launch . Across the street is a fine well not so fine drinking establishment the alki tavern.
Posted by: Fishslayer75

Re: Blackmouth DERBY! 2/23/03 - 01/31/03 11:21 AM

Count me in! We might want to think about using the alki ramp. what They also have a nice picnic area that works real well for the end of the day meeting/weight in place. The bay is also a safe place if the weather get bad. Either way let me know if there is anything I can do to help out
Posted by: Fish4Fun

Re: Blackmouth DERBY! 2/23/03 - 01/31/03 12:05 PM

This sounds like a great idea, should be a chance to put some faces with the names here on the board. beer
Posted by: Sullie

Re: Blackmouth DERBY! 2/23/03 - 01/31/03 12:59 PM

count me in! is there a certain area that we can fish or is it pretty much open for where ever?
Posted by: Little Fish

Re: Blackmouth DERBY! 2/23/03 - 01/31/03 01:11 PM

Count me in.

As far as defining the area I suggest area 10 as defined by the regs, that way people can fish Manchester as well.

I will be launching out of Alki, but Shilshoe will work as well.

Let me know what I can do to help out.

Re: Blackmouth DERBY! 2/23/03 - 01/31/03 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Sullie13:
count me in! is there a certain area that we can fish or is it pretty much open for where ever?
Review the first post, We were going to stick around area 10 to make it easier to meet afterwards, but that is open for discussion.

We can make the boundary on the south end the north end of Vashon. Make it easy and just call it all of Area 10. what
Posted by: Kev

Re: Blackmouth DERBY! 2/23/03 - 01/31/03 03:41 PM

Sounds like a good time, count me in. Either ramp works, I think the Alki Launch (Don Armeni Launch) might be a little more protected and has pretty good parking.

Sky-Guy, Since you are driving this (Thanks!) keep us informed as to final details, etc.

Looking forward to the flotilla...

Kev
Posted by: Ratherbfishin

Re: Blackmouth DERBY! 2/23/03 - 01/31/03 04:03 PM

Sounds good, finally a flottila I can make.
Count me in.

Hey beer

Gutz, ya interested?
Posted by: Steelieblue

Re: Blackmouth DERBY! 2/23/03 - 01/31/03 04:16 PM

Gents and Ladies-

I know this is a bit forward but if anyone has an open seat I would love to get out there with you and just see how what's shaking. Haven't done any bm fishing but plenty of socializing! I would be glad to buy dinner or a nice bottle for the captain that will have me. I am 24yrs old and I just love to fish all ways imagineable. Let me know if you are interested!

Josh
Posted by: GutZ

Re: Blackmouth DERBY! 2/23/03 - 01/31/03 04:33 PM

Lets see, Fishing and Beer, am I interested? Let me think (HELL YES) about it. wink

Re: Blackmouth DERBY! 2/23/03 - 01/31/03 04:34 PM

Steelieblue,

As we get closer to the Day, I am certain that either I or one of our other good hearted board members can commit to getting you out there. I didnt have my own boat until a year ago, so I know how that goes..... Stay tuned.

fishy fishy fishy

C'mon everyone, there are some names that have not replied yet that I would have expected to see by now! cry
Posted by: Rysemus

Re: Blackmouth DERBY! 2/23/03 - 01/31/03 04:52 PM

Sky-guy

Add Pickled Herring and myself to the list. laugh
Posted by: Mooch

Re: Blackmouth DERBY! 2/23/03 - 01/31/03 05:28 PM

Sounds great, but it looks like I'm going to have to sit this one out. cry Unfortunately I'll be off chasing a white ball around the desert. laugh

Fish won't stand a chance with you guys out there. Have fun. I know I will. wink
Posted by: CDSeattle

Re: Blackmouth DERBY! 2/23/03 - 01/31/03 05:44 PM

I'm up for it. I'll get DOUG KELLY to go, too. I've been waiting for a chance to meet some of you - I suspect we have shared the same waters many times this year, but I didn't know who you were.

CD
Posted by: Mike C

Re: Blackmouth DERBY! 2/23/03 - 01/31/03 06:43 PM

Wish I could be out there but I'm doing the Yakima Show. beathead
Posted by: Erndog

Re: Blackmouth DERBY! 2/23/03 - 01/31/03 07:02 PM

As of now count me in. Alki / Shilshole, I'll make the drive. Hey Sky-Guy, I'll be at Sportco tomorrow and I'll ask them if they want to donate something.
So are some of you going to be out there this Sunday still? I'm thinking about manchestor also.

Fish On,

ErnDog

Re: Blackmouth DERBY! 2/23/03 - 01/31/03 07:13 PM

Sunday Daybreak at West point is where we will be. If the catching reamins consistent, we will be headed home by 10:30ish.

Re: Blackmouth DERBY! 2/23/03 - 01/31/03 07:22 PM

I'll be out there myself. Sunday am. 20ft blue searay. See ya on the water beer

Re: Blackmouth DERBY! 2/23/03 - 01/31/03 07:46 PM

Anyone know how much a derby License is through WDFW? ...what the process is?

Re: Blackmouth DERBY! 2/23/03 - 01/31/03 07:55 PM

Page 6 of the regs, $24 for the permit. If 6 or more licensed anglers fish competitively for game fish and determine winners, regardless of prize value, is defined as a fishing contest.

http://www.wa.gov/wdfw/fish/regs/2002/2002sportregs.pdf

Kev
Posted by: Easy Limits

Re: Blackmouth DERBY! 2/23/03 - 01/31/03 08:57 PM

Count me in! I have family coming into town that weekend but I am sure I can sneak away for a while.

Launching at Armeni will be best for me. The Armeni launch puts you right in the action as soon as you leave the launch.
Posted by: kingfisherman

Re: Blackmouth DERBY! 2/23/03 - 01/31/03 09:47 PM

Count kingfisherman and the ol TrailRat77 in boat launch doesn't matter for use can make the run either way.

KFM
Posted by: Wernergonefishin

Re: Blackmouth DERBY! 2/23/03 - 01/31/03 11:09 PM

Im game. Would like to meet some of you. im coming up from Chehalis not very familiar with all the area would like to follow someone for the day. Who knows how and were to fish. Is this Jigging, trolling , mooching or all . May also have open seat or two will know when date gets closer. beer
Posted by: Wernergonefishin

Re: Blackmouth DERBY! 2/23/03 - 01/31/03 11:11 PM

Im game. Would like to meet some of you. im coming up from Chehalis not very familiar with all the area would like to follow someone for the day. Who knows how and were to fish. Is this Jigging, trolling , mooching or all . May also have open seat or two will know when date gets closer. beer
Posted by: ET

Re: Blackmouth DERBY! 2/23/03 - 01/31/03 11:15 PM

I'll try to make it and bring Baitboy if he isn't working.
Posted by: Asteiger

Re: Blackmouth DERBY! 2/23/03 - 02/01/03 12:33 AM

Count me in! We are getting a new GPS/fishfinder this would be a good way to break it in. See you all out there.

Skeets
Posted by: fishjager

Re: Blackmouth DERBY! 2/23/03 - 02/01/03 12:44 AM

Sky Guy, hey if I don't have to work Big-Daddy and I may show up. By the way, what channel do you guys want to moniter on the VHF? It would be nice to communicate as the day goes on. hello

Re: Blackmouth DERBY! 2/23/03 - 02/01/03 01:52 AM

Most guys out there monitor channel 68 on VHF.
Posted by: JacobF

Re: Blackmouth DERBY! 2/23/03 - 02/01/03 02:39 AM

I'd love to go if I could get a ride with someone.
Posted by: baitboy

Re: Blackmouth DERBY! 2/23/03 - 02/01/03 07:23 AM

Count me in with ET
Posted by: JRfishing

Re: Blackmouth DERBY! 2/23/03 - 02/01/03 11:37 AM

I'm in, would prefer to launch at Alki but will do either. Looking forward to hitting the water. I will also be be out at Sekui the for the derby. Look for a 20' NR and say hello.
Posted by: KWIK FISH

Re: Blackmouth DERBY! 2/23/03 - 02/01/03 11:14 PM

I'm some what of a newcomer to this web site, but not a newcomer to bm fishing. I own a texaco station in south bellevue, and would be willing to donate some beverages and gas for all of the boats partaking in the floatilla.I'm always eager to meet more fellow salmon fisherman. Anyway let me know if your interested. Thanks alot
Andy

Re: Blackmouth DERBY! 2/23/03 - 02/02/03 12:14 AM

Hi all,

Good commitment on this so far.

I am going to spring the $24 for the Derby registration, and if anyone wants to chip in on derbay day, or buy me a beer, that would be great. I'd rather keep everything on the up and up, since I would like to figure out a way to get a prize cache for the top placing fish.

I think we could go 1,2,3,4 in weight for an uncleaned fish, then a prize for the best combined weight of two fish for a boat. If you have any other prize category suggestions beyond what I stated, post it.

Tomorrow after fishing we are going to swing by the Sloop Tavern by Shilshole and talk to the owner, Charlie I think it is, to see if he will host us. I am sure he will because it will mean a good bump in business on a otherwwise slow Sunday afternoon. They have had an annual coho derby out of the Tav for years, so they are no strangers to fishing or derby's.

Some items that would you can help me get together for the Derby:

Scale for weigh in. Any PSA member or anyone else that is participating have a good scale they can bring?

Digital camera so we can post pics here. Easy, would/could you be our derby cameraman?

Help securing prizes. If anyone can help me get some stuff together, or you want to donate something, that would be great.

I dont want to go with cash prizes, which would force the sale of tickets and create a logistical nightmare... plus it is nice to get new lures, dodgers, other gear.

Kwik Fish-Thanks a hell of a lot for the offer. Maybe a few six packs or 12'ers for prizes from your end, if that is what you were referring to. (anyone oppose beer for prizes, hell no!)If you were going to offer a discount for gas or something, great idea there as well.

Ok, getting the gear ready for the AM. Will post results tomorrow night.

Also, God bless those Astronauts. what a horrible tragedy.
Posted by: Metalhead Mojo

Re: Blackmouth DERBY! 2/23/03 - 02/02/03 12:32 AM

im up for it if anyone has an open seat...i want in, i can provide bait, beer or whatever to earn my keep, email me if you've got an open seat

Re: Blackmouth DERBY! 2/23/03 - 02/02/03 12:34 AM

I can be the cameraman.

Oh wait, who's going to take my picture? laugh

Re: Blackmouth DERBY! 2/23/03 - 02/02/03 05:30 PM

sky guy,
I'm up for donating beer for prizes,and how does a $100.00 gasoline certificate sound?. Let me know if these are worthy of prizes. Andy
Posted by: Somethingsmellsf

Re: Blackmouth DERBY! 2/23/03 - 02/02/03 08:51 PM

One last hooraa for the Blackmouth would be great,will have to see if my fishin buddy wants to go,if not i will have a seat open,will get back to you on that , fishy

Re: Blackmouth DERBY! 2/23/03 - 02/02/03 11:09 PM

It is looking like, right now, I am going to have to pass on the blackmouth flotilla on the 23rd. Got family coming in to town and I am going to have to spend time with them. frown
Posted by: spawnout

Re: Blackmouth DERBY! 2/23/03 - 02/03/03 11:38 AM

Yeah, I'm up for it! I too prefer the Alki launch if the weather is snotty, but can drive wherever I need to. Ron Bob, wanna go on this one? I'll e-mail you.
Posted by: Sid Fishious

Re: Blackmouth DERBY! 2/23/03 - 02/03/03 12:06 PM

Count me in. I'll be in a 240 Coastal named Ruthless. Of course I will reserve the right to back out if the springers start to come in #'s.

Re: Blackmouth DERBY! 2/23/03 - 02/03/03 05:14 PM

Just Spoke with Charlie, owner of the Sloop Tavern in Ballard. He wholeheartedly agreed to hosting us, even said he would throw in some T-Shirts and Gift certificates for prizes. Set up some lunch specials and has a scale for us to weigh with.

Kwik- A gas certificate for a prize would be well-received I am sure.

So the date time and place is set.
Fish Sunday morning from Dawn, meeting/Weigh in is at 2:30 at the Sloop tavern. I will post directions but the address is: 2830 NW Market, Seattle WA 98107....for you mapquesters... It is about a 3 minute drive from the Shilshole launch.

Speaking of the Shilshole launch, it is very protected and there is plenty of room for a ton of boats.
If you can easily get to the area you want to fish that day from Shilshole, I would suggest launching there because it will be easier to get to the weigh in afterwards.
Or, if L&R from Don Armeni, just drive up to Ballard.

OK all, off to find some sponsors. Give me a hand if you can!

Re: Blackmouth DERBY! 2/23/03 - 02/03/03 05:39 PM

Sky-guy, sound like a blast! Thanks for the hard work. We'll see what we can do for sponsors.
Posted by: Chip Goodhue

Re: Blackmouth DERBY! 2/23/03 - 02/04/03 11:21 AM

Looks like fun, count me in!! - I'll be bringin the winning fish over from Eagle Harbor laugh laugh laugh laugh

Re: Blackmouth DERBY! 2/23/03 - 02/04/03 12:58 PM

I am trying to get my crew together. I do have a question. How many 55 foot long 8 foot wide drive thru slots to they have at this tavern. Will parking be a problem for those of us with bigger boats.

Re: Blackmouth DERBY! 2/23/03 - 02/04/03 01:22 PM

There is alot of street parking out front and down the road & 1 block west out in front of the old Hirams Restaurant. For those of you who will pull their boat out and go to the Tavern I dont think Parking will be a terrible problem. You may have to walk a block or two, but no biggie.

Re: Blackmouth DERBY! 2/23/03 - 02/04/03 04:42 PM

Sky-Guy

I chatted with a gentleman today over at Sportco / Fife. He's going to get with his Marketing Manager to see if they will be able to sponser some gear. Sound pretty positive. I told him he could log on to PP here to get all info on the derby. I informed him that you have been putting most of the work in to it, so he may contact you through this sight. If you want you can e-mail me with any info needed to pass on to this gentleman. I told him where the weigh in is going to happen and what others are trying to do to get prizes for the derby.

Fish On,

ErnDog

Re: Blackmouth DERBY! 2/23/03 - 02/04/03 05:56 PM

Glad to see this flottila is coming together. I will be there with Gutz and maybe some others. Will post here if we have extra room. We may spend Saturday night at Shilshole dock. Anyway, here is the boat we are on. Come aboard and have a cold one with us.
-rbf beer

Re: Blackmouth DERBY! 2/23/03 - 02/04/03 07:13 PM

Just spoke with Bruce B of WDFW, and apparently no Derby License is needed. So it is oficially a derby, then a flotilla!!

The reasoning is that Salmon are considered a foodfish and not a game fish, so no license is required. Go figure. No complaints though!

I have some great leads on prizes after speaking with local sporting businesses. Once confirmed I will post a list, shaping up nicely though!

RatherBFishin, Good idea on launching a day early, we always do that same and stay in the guest moorgae there at Shilshole, dock W. So for some of you, that may work out better so you dont have to launch that AM. I think the cost is 15 per night.

TT you all soon.

Re: Blackmouth DERBY! 2/23/03 - 02/04/03 07:36 PM

Sky-Guy - We held a small derby (eight boats) out of Eagle Harbor this November and it was a lot of fun!!!

I'll donate a bunch of fine fishin' cigars for a prize on the upcoming derby.

Hope it doesn't blow too hard or I may have a hard time getting that winning fish across the Sound to Shilshole laugh laugh laugh

Re: Blackmouth DERBY! 2/23/03 - 02/04/03 09:21 PM

Cant wait for this one Jeff head here I come.
I also may have a open seat for the derby TrailRat has to go on the Auction river trip he won.
Posted by: Big Bad Voodoo Daddy

Re: Blackmouth DERBY! 2/23/03 - 02/05/03 01:46 AM

Any age thing on this derby? Me and a buddy are gonna try out salt water for the first time actually, we're both 16 and we'll be with his dad.

sounds like fun

Curtis

Re: Blackmouth DERBY! 2/23/03 - 02/05/03 02:41 PM

Sky-Guy
Probably should have asked first since you are leading the charge, but I posted this info on the other board in the event more people might want to participate.
JMS

Re: Blackmouth DERBY! 2/23/03 - 02/07/03 04:16 PM

Update on Derby-

I have a found a few Sponsors who will provide some Gear...for starters- thanks to Dave L at Three Rivers Marine!
A couple other names will remian unmentioned until confirmed.

So dont forget about this one people... we are still full steam ahead!

If you own a business, or have any good ideas for prizes-post it. I have just about run out of options.
Alot of places have already donated through the nose this last year and cannot budget in anymore gear giveaways.
The stuff doesnt have to be fishing related. That Gas prize should be nice for a lucky winner.

Big Bad Voodoo-The Derby Prizes and social will be in a 21+ Tavern. Sorry about that.

Have a great weekend everyone.
Posted by: Ron Bob

Re: Blackmouth DERBY! 2/23/03 - 02/08/03 12:14 PM

This looks great! Don't forget Outdoor Emporium and Ted's? or maybe you allready have contacted them?

Hope to see you all then.

Re: Blackmouth DERBY! 2/23/03 - 02/09/03 04:15 AM

I am up way too late to be meeting my bud for fishing at 6:45am tomorrow(today).
But hey its my 30th today so what the hell!

Special Thanks goes out to Kent and Scott of Three Rivers for donating a GLoomis GL2 rod and several hats for the derby. This is great steelhead rod, and even greater is the courtesy extended to me by 3Rivers to donate it. Thanks Guys.

I have called both the Outdoor E and Teds to see if they would donate anything, and the general reply was that they received 5 calls-per-day from people just like me looking for support for their derbys/contests. They just dont have the resources to support all of them. Totally understandable, we will just have to be more creative for fish prizes. I have a few nice things lined up that I will list off once we get close tothe 23rd, butif you can do something for the cause that would be noble.

GL to all fishing tomorrow.
Posted by: JacobF

Re: Blackmouth DERBY! 2/23/03 - 02/10/03 01:07 AM

If this event is going to happen, anyone know if they'll have an open seat? I have my own gear and would be happy to help pay expenses.

Re: Blackmouth DERBY! 2/23/03 - 02/10/03 03:38 PM

Hey Sky-Guy-

Are we going to do anything to indentify ourselves or our boats, so we know who's who and such? It would be nice to know who is out there from this board before and while we are on the water.
Looking forward to this, shaping up to be a lot of fun. thumbs

Kev

Re: Blackmouth DERBY! 2/23/03 - 02/10/03 03:57 PM

Kev,

Good idea...What do you suggest?

One suggestion would be to fly an American Flag. Everyone should have one, all we would have to do is rig it somewhere on your boat if you dont already have one flying. Most small boats on the water dont fly a flag, but if they did on this day we could tell who is who.

We can also jabber on the VHF68 and get an idea of who is who and where they are.

Prize update:
GLoomis GL2 Steelhead rod and 4 hats from 3 Rivers Marine.
5 free one-year subscriptions from F&H news.
Talking to the Reel News, they may provide free subscriptions as well.
Kwik Fish- Gas Certificate for $100.00 &/or beer prizes
Chip Goodhue- Cigars
Sloop Tavern- Gift Certificates and Shirts

Fishslayer or Erndog, any word on what you were looking into?

Re: Blackmouth DERBY! 2/23/03 - 02/10/03 04:03 PM

Sky, I got shot down at the place I was working on. I'm going to talk with my boss and see if what I have in mind (not much) will be ok with him. I'l let you know!
Posted by: baddawg

Re: Blackmouth DERBY! 2/23/03 - 02/10/03 04:17 PM

sky guy, check your private messages.

Re: Blackmouth DERBY! 2/23/03 - 02/10/03 04:31 PM

Just as a side note, the prizes are just for fun. The main point is to get everyone together and have a good time!

Thanks For the offer BadDawg!

beer then slap

Re: Blackmouth DERBY! 2/23/03 - 02/10/03 04:40 PM

Good call on the American Flag, I have flag decals on the side, this will make me go get a flag for the bow.

I have a 21ft Trophy without the big Trophy decals on the side (took them off, why would you want a billfish on the side of a salmon boat?). I have a 150hp Merc and a 15hp Johnson kicker, 2 Scotty Electric DR's, etc. Will probably have the full canvas up to stay warm! beer
Keep an eye out for us, I think B. Gray is fishing with me.

I'll be on VHF68, if you don't have a flag, make a sign that says "PP" (Piscatorial Pursuits) and put it in your windshield.

Again, looking forward to meeting others from this board out there. thumbs

Kev

Re: Blackmouth DERBY! 2/23/03 - 02/10/03 04:57 PM

OK so everyone fly your American flag that day so other board members can recognize you!

We will be in a 23ft Bayliner Trophy, hard top with Penn 825 electrics off the stern.

So how big do you think the winning fish will be?
I am going with 11.5lbs. You never know though , someone may bonk a monster...
Posted by: charr

Re: Blackmouth DERBY! 2/23/03 - 02/11/03 12:21 AM

OK, enoughs enough! Count me in. What the hell, I'm out there every weekend anyway.
Sounds like alot of fun and getting to meet everyone. Gonna hafta break out the secret sent for my Chum Sticks. beer

Re: Blackmouth DERBY! 2/23/03 - 02/11/03 12:44 AM

Chum Sticks? Ew, boy. The competition is brewing. thumbs
Posted by: AkKings

Re: Blackmouth DERBY! 2/23/03 - 02/11/03 01:17 AM

If anyone has an open seat, I have that Sun. off and an ok from the wife to go fishing.

I'll help with fuel and launch fee's as well as share a few secrets I've learned during my years of guiding. Fishing method doesn't matter, I can troll DR's, mooch or jig.

p.s., got a depth sounder, gps or radar that needs dialing in? well, I do that too. wink

Re: Blackmouth DERBY! 2/23/03 - 02/11/03 01:47 AM

Hey AkKings, Think BW would be into donating a little something something for the cause?

For everyone reading, we have a few members who want to go out but need a lift. if you have space or like to stack your downrigger smile reach out to those in need so they can join us.

AK, we already have three in our boat, I would certainly have you aboard if I could. You were very helpful to me when I bought some equipment from you.

Re: Blackmouth DERBY! 2/23/03 - 02/11/03 01:55 AM

Sky-Guy, I'll run it by my DM but I kind of doubt he'll donate, he's in charge of 8 stores and gets numerous requests for donations every week, he usually just donates to yacht clubs, charities and schools/churches. I'll see him either Weds. or Thurs. and run it by him.

Re: Blackmouth DERBY! 2/23/03 - 02/11/03 01:56 AM

Sky Guy,
Is the launch site still going to be at shilshole? I'll be in a 17ft fibre pro,the name of my boat is tartar sauce. Looking forward to meeting eveyone!
Andy
Posted by: Steve Ericsson

Re: Blackmouth DERBY! 2/23/03 - 02/11/03 04:13 PM

Not totally sure if I'll make it yet, but if so I would probably have an empty seat. I would bet that anyone at the ramp, either Shilshole or Alki with a rod in hand and a cardboard sign that read "WILL WIND MANUAL RIGGERS FOR FOOD" help would have no trouble getting a ride with someone. As for the younger crowd who can't attend the after party at the pub, come anyway! I have a 12 yr. old full o' piss n' vinegar that goes with me. He can't come in the bar, but if I have a winner to weigh, he'll wait out in the truck. I wonder if they have a patio that the younger crowd can hang out on outside? I think we should remember that a lot of the anglers on here are under 21. Any way we can accomodate them? For those with no radio like me, (cheapasses) I suppose the flag will do, or PP in the window or on the sides, ya?

Re: Blackmouth DERBY! 2/23/03 - 02/11/03 05:29 PM

Hi Steve,

Unfortunately I don't recall any type of patio out front or on the side of the Sloop that a minor could sit at. I would like to be able to accomodate everyone, but dont see how we can.

Kwik, We will be launching at Shilshole on Friday and keeping the boat in the water through the weekend. I assume most people will launch from there but I can't speak for everyone.

Re: Blackmouth DERBY! 2/23/03 - 02/11/03 08:16 PM

Easy, Have you been sleeping under a rock?
Don't you have chum sticks on that boat of yours yet? he-he-he. laugh They make the Black Box look like a wind up toy.

Re: Blackmouth DERBY! 2/23/03 - 02/11/03 09:08 PM

I don't know if I need any more toys on my boat. Not as if I am having trouble catching fish. laugh

Re: Blackmouth DERBY! 2/23/03 - 02/12/03 01:46 AM

Craig,
So tell me about these chum sticks. I assume these are the one's Tom Nelson introduced recently. I missed the Puyallup show so didn't get any then, but am waiting for the backorder to clear. The only questions I have are do they work and how well? Please share your testimony.
James

Re: Blackmouth DERBY! 2/23/03 - 02/12/03 04:18 PM

What is a chum stick?????

Re: Blackmouth DERBY! 2/23/03 - 02/12/03 06:02 PM

Chip,
Go to the Salmon University website and check it out. Basically, its a plastic pipe you fill with fish scent pellets and attach to the DR ball. As you troll a scent path is created around your boat that reportedly sucks the fish in, especially those coming from a hatchery.
Posted by: Downriggin

Re: Blackmouth DERBY! 2/23/03 - 02/12/03 06:08 PM

Food for thought...

What do you folks think about making this a monthly (or quarterly) thing... What be a good way to get our family members involved (???) It doesn't have to be necessarily at a tavern.. Maybe a picnic at one of the beaches... Tons of options out there...

I admire the initiative going into the derby!
Wish I could be there.

Downriggin'

Re: Blackmouth DERBY! 2/23/03 - 02/12/03 07:12 PM

Hey All-

BadDawg called me today and advised me he is sending a bunch of Huskies hats/shirts/etc. for the Derby, and he cant even make it cause he is out of town. Thanks BadDawg! laugh Sorry Coug fans frown

Also, Ballard Bait will probably be donating a dozen bags of bait fishy fishy
Still working on a few more places until I quit on the prizes.

Lets hope for great weather! thumbs

Re: Blackmouth DERBY! 2/23/03 - 02/12/03 08:49 PM

Man I knew that the chum stick comment would get some of you guys going!! Yes they are the ones that the boys from Salmon University are going to, or already are selling. I made my own a few weeks ago when a friend of mine showed them to me. He had gone to a S.U. seminar and they had them there. So I just copied his proto type. I like to think I made a better model than his. Sorry P.J. You just have to accept that carpenters are better at building things than electricians.I made mine with open cell foam inside that holds the scent. But as soon as I can lay my hands on the pellets, thats what I'll be using.
I made them out of 3/4" electrical PVC with a capped end and a threaded end so you can access the tube. Perferated the tube by way of drill motor. A simple eye bolt and a little imagination for attaching to your DR ball and you're set to go. No I just need to get one of those wind up toys. ( Black Box )

Re: Blackmouth DERBY! 2/23/03 - 02/12/03 08:53 PM

Little Fish, BTW I've caught a legal fish every time I've used them. Only the Black mouth really knows for sure if it works or not. But no matter how hard I hit him over the head with my fish club, he still won't answer me!!!

Re: Blackmouth DERBY! 2/23/03 - 02/12/03 11:11 PM

Now that makes sense, although those "special pellets" look like OMP to me rolleyes Damn, now I gotta build one of these for the derby beathead

Re: Blackmouth DERBY! 2/23/03 - 02/12/03 11:33 PM

Spawnout, I'm kinda laughing to myself right now! Not at you. My evil plan about the sticks is working. He He He ! Yea I think these things really work. What the hey, it isn't hurting anything dragging it around.
Craig

Re: Blackmouth DERBY! 2/23/03 - 02/13/03 12:41 AM

I am kinda skeptical...

Fish feed into the tide, we troll with the tide... hmmm. Troll the same way three times, three times the scent in the water... More boats- less fish.

Let me know who else has these sticks. I wanna follow you around...

I guess it doesn't hurt... I imagine they're banking on the "trigger" instinct.

Downriggin'

Re: Blackmouth DERBY! 2/23/03 - 02/13/03 12:56 AM

The way Tom explained it at the Snohomish chapter of PSA was that he tested several new products this last summer/fall up in Port Hardy and two new products stood out from the rest and attracted noticeably more fish than gear that is currently on the market. The first was the Roto Chip lure that has been discussed on this board. The second was the chum stick. I think he said something like "the chum stick worked almost too well." At any rate I am willing to give it a try, but have yet to get my hands on one to demo.

And yes, the fish pellets you put in the stick are made from the same stuff hatchery raised fish eat while in the pen so it does trigger a feeding instinct learned at the hatchery.

Re: Blackmouth DERBY! 2/23/03 - 02/13/03 01:49 PM

So, lets say one wanted to get some fish pellets, where would he go? I can't imagine WallyWorld has them in the fish aisle!!....

Re: Blackmouth DERBY! 2/23/03 - 02/13/03 03:37 PM

The easy answer is buy them from the salmon university guys. The hard answer is find out who makes the pellets used in the hatcheries then figure out how to get ahold of them. I'm thinking I will go the easy route.

Re: Blackmouth DERBY! 2/23/03 - 02/13/03 07:50 PM

The way my friend who had the proto type sticks and went to the SU seminar explained it to me was, that when the BM are being raised in the hatchery, their food changes. The pellets they used in their testing was from the last food source at the hatchery. I very well could be wrong, but that is what I was told.
I don't know how much they are going to retail for, but I think it cost me about $5 a piece to build my own. Of course I stole the 3/4" conduit from the Electricians at work. So all I had to buy was the caps and glue. Oops, I stole the glue from work too!
I see the the SU guys claim to have some kinda SONIC tube on theirs. I drilled the top half of my tube with 1/4" holes and angled them down at a 45 deg. angle. Then in the bottoom half I drilled 1/16" holes at 90 deg.
I think this forces the water in and then the scent bleeds out at a slow rate.
It's just my opion on this thing, I could be wrong.

Re: Blackmouth DERBY! 2/23/03 - 02/13/03 11:01 PM

$4 in parts for 2 of them, already built. Carpenters may be pretty slick, but when it comes to tubes with holes in them, bagpipe builders are the experts :p

I don't intend to mess with the hatchery pellets, I know what they are made from anyway - used to make the stuff myself for OreAqua years ago. I like the idea of a time release of the "secret scent" that I know works for BM rolleyes

DR, I think this works for the same reason that I think thumping the bottom with the ball works. Fish at depth are pretty blind, and they don't hear all that well, but boy can they smell things - in concentrations so small that we can measure them in the water only by their reaction to them. I think the ball stirs up a cloud of silt, the same way that a BM stirs it up digging for sandlance. Neighboring blackmouth smell it and horn on in. Also, blood and guts in the water from dazed and bleeding baitfish, not to mention slime and scales all over the place, also attract fish big time, again mostly by smell. Stinking the place up sure won't hurt - fish are likely to pick up the scent and follow it to the source - my lure laugh

Anyway, for $4, a few minutes of work, and a little more of the secret sauce, why shouldn't I give it a try? 'Specially for 3 large this weekend eek

Re: Blackmouth DERBY! 2/23/03 - 02/14/03 03:08 PM

@#$%^&*(&$ DANGBLAST IT ALL!!! I just got pulled out of the derby. It would seem that my stepdaughter's 13th birthday is the 23rd. Family coming into town. M wifes dad missed her 13th so she is hell bent I am there for this one. If any of you are stepfathers, you know how important it is to be there for them.

How about we make this a quarterly thing like DR suggest? Would love to get together with you guys now and again to fish/drink/lie. Also would be great to get the wives/kids involved and make some new friends. beer

Re: Blackmouth DERBY! 2/23/03 - 02/14/03 03:17 PM

I can see this turning into something on a quarterly basis. Especially if they have an extended King Season in the Straights this summer. beer
Your a good man to stay home for the Birthday party, that just means more fishing for you in the future, got to build up those points! thumbs

Kev

Re: Blackmouth DERBY! 2/23/03 - 02/14/03 04:29 PM

Steve! sorry to hear that, .....oh well next time.

We can make this a quarterly deal, but I would want help getting it all together, or we could take turns organizing.

On Sunday I will post a summary of everything we have set up to date.

So with these chum sticks, couldnt you make one out of PVC and just pack it full of squid and crushed herring to create a scent trail? Seems like it would work to me....but you better put a big 'ol treble behind it because that may be more appealing to a BM than your setup!

Re: Blackmouth DERBY! 2/23/03 - 02/14/03 06:10 PM

BadDawg- Just got home and got the package...Thanks!

Board members-
BadDawg sent me a bunch of Huskie Merchandise for the derby.

fishy 5 nice Nike hats of various colors with embroidered UW symbols.
fishy 4 Nicely made Team Nike Golf Shirts with UW logos
fishy 2 grey huskie T-shirts with logos.

nice stuff!

Re: Blackmouth DERBY! 2/23/03 - 02/14/03 07:01 PM

Hey there Sky-Guy, still working on my contacts. Not giving up on them. Hopefully to have answers by Monday.
Also, just an idea here, with everyone attending what if everyone donates something small. A pack of squids, a lure, ect.. Budget $10.00 or what ever you can do. Maybe even a gag prize that has to do with fishing. Than bring it to the weigh in. All of us put our heads together and name some prize awards, some fun ones. Have a few laughs at the weigh in.

Fish On,

Erndog

Re: Blackmouth DERBY! 2/23/03 - 02/14/03 08:57 PM

Sky Guy, You can put anything you want in the chum sticks. You just gave me an idea for scent. What do you think if you were to grind up herring like you say into a paste and then pour it into the tube, then put it in the freezer over night?

Re: Blackmouth DERBY! 2/23/03 - 02/15/03 12:04 AM

Sky Guy, you are doing a helluva job getting this derby together. I commend your efforts!! hello hello hello

Darn, I wish my family was not coming into town that weekend. mad
Posted by: Doug Kelly

Re: Blackmouth DERBY! 2/23/03 - 02/15/03 01:50 AM

JacobF, read your private messages, Doug

Re: Blackmouth DERBY! 2/23/03 - 02/15/03 07:03 PM

Easy, Your problem is a easy fix. Just go and plead your case when you get home. Ya gotta go man!
It's easier to beg for forgiveness then to ask permission. beathead

Re: Blackmouth DERBY! 2/23/03 - 02/15/03 07:34 PM

Unfortunately, I can't really ditch a funeral to go fishing. cry

Re: Blackmouth DERBY! 2/23/03 - 02/16/03 02:47 PM

Oops! Sorry Carl! Excuse me while I dilodge my foot from my mouth!
Craig

Re: Blackmouth DERBY! 2/23/03 - 02/16/03 02:49 PM

Oops, sorry Carl! Excuse me while I dislodge my foot from my mouth.
Craig beathead

Re: Blackmouth DERBY! 2/23/03 - 02/16/03 05:41 PM

Craig, don't worry about it man. You did not know. wink
Posted by: seastrikeathome

Re: Blackmouth DERBY! 2/23/03 - 02/16/03 08:04 PM

I'm in. I will be in a 20ft center console with red stripes. I'll launch from SS. Hope it doesn't rain as I have no cover!
Dave
ps I may have an empty seat as my fishing partner isn't sure he can go.
Posted by: SalmonBroadsandBeer.com

Re: Blackmouth DERBY! 2/23/03 - 02/16/03 08:35 PM

Hey all, Team SalmonBroadsandBeer.com will be there in the Green Machine. Smolt Angler turned me on to the derby. Sky, we'd love to contribute some hats, shirts, and koozies to the derby. I'll either bring my old man or girlfriend down with me (he likes to fish, and she drinks beer). Sounds like a good thing brewing - look forward to it!

Re: Blackmouth DERBY! 2/23/03 - 02/17/03 01:35 AM

fishy Well I count some 50-60 of us fishermen and women in for next weekend. I'd say just about the right size for our first BM flotilla/derby!

fishy One week left, here is where we stand right now:

BM derby fishing is contained to area 10, fish must be caught Sunday, dont clean it prior to weighing. Charlie at the Sloop will have Ice, Bags and a cooler to keep the fish in while your'e there.

fishy I am going to change the weigh in and raffle/social to 1:30PM . Most of us will be on the water at daybreak, and 2:30 is too late in the day. That way we can relax for a bit and still have time to pull the boat &/or take it home, clean up etc. So have your fish at the Sloop by 1:15 or so.

Bring your appetite to the Sloop too. Being good patrons while we are there will certainly make our host Charlie happy. He has a great cook...Great Menu, Breakfast all day, and he said he would have some specials made up too.

fishy The following is a list of prizes that I have found, and other board members have pledged, to donate to our fisherman with the biggest fish at the end of the day. I like the way the Everett Coho derby did it last year, which was setting it all out on the pool table and let 1st place take their pick, and so on down.

-GLoomis GL2 Steelhead 8'6'' Medium action rod and 4 nice hats from 3 Rivers Marine of Woodinville. Thanks Kent and Scott.

- Coupon for 1 case of green sized herring bait from our friends at Ballard Bait. There are some 20-24 dozens in case, great prize if you have room in the freezer!

****Ballard Bait is also proving 2 dozen free bait for anyone fishing in the derby this weekend. If you are fishing bait this weekend, get down there and give them some other business too. My friend Geoff fishes bait with them, and I think they have the best quality around (have to give them a plug, pun intended smile )****

-5 Hats, 4 Golf shirts, and two T-shirts all with embriodered Husky Logos from BadDawg. Nice prizes thanks BadDawg!

- $100.00 Gas Coupon and Beer prizes from KWIK FISH.

-Cigars from Chip Goodhue

- Hats, Shirts, & Koozies? from SalmonBroads&Beer.

-5 free one-year subscriptions to Fishing and Hunting news.

-Hats, Slooper Mugs, gift certificates, and shirts from the Sloop Tavern.

-I have Spoken with Silver Horde fishing gear and Marilyn may provide some gear for the derby. TBD

I like Erndogs suggestion of everyone bringing a little something if they can.

fishy Closest two launch areas near the Sloop are Shilshole in Ballard and Don Armeni in West Seattle. The Sloop is located at 2830 NW Market Street. There is room to park your rig with boat-in-tow streetside around the Tavern. All along the road in-between the ShilShole launch and tavern there is parking.

fishy Try to Fly your American Flag out there so others know you are fishing in the Derby with us. Derby Talk on VHF CH68 for the day.

fishy So over the next week, post again and let us know if you are still coming and how many will be with you. I am trying to give the Sloop an approximate headcount so they can prepare.

If you have any questions or ideas on something I have or haven't covered let me know.

Have a great week everyone!

Re: Blackmouth DERBY! 2/23/03 - 02/17/03 07:31 PM

Heck and Double Heck. beathead
The battery charging system went to h*ll on my boat, so instead of in the derby I will be working on the boat. I was really looking forward to meeting some of you and hoisting a few cold ones at the Sloop. In case you are wondering, the batteries and charging system is a bit more complex on 32' trawler than it is on your average fishing machine, so its a big job. I hope someone can give Gutz a ride as he was planning to go with me.

-rbf

Re: Blackmouth DERBY! 2/23/03 - 02/17/03 08:42 PM

Ratherbfishin, sorry to hear about your boat. Was looking foward to meeting you to see if all the things gutz told me about is true wink I think I will have an open spot for him on my boat. He was nice enough to bring beer last time and even caught a nice keeper!

Re: Blackmouth DERBY! 2/23/03 - 02/17/03 09:55 PM

I'm still in, I'll have one other with me as well.
Looking forward to meeting you all and to the fishing!

Kev
Posted by: STIHLHEAD

Re: Blackmouth DERBY! 2/23/03 - 02/17/03 11:15 PM

testing

Re: Blackmouth DERBY! 2/23/03 - 02/18/03 01:47 PM

here are the tides for Seattle on the 23rd:

3:12am L 5.8 9:06am H 11.6 4:26pm L 0.2 11:48pm H 9.6

Weather looks good too.
around 50 degrees
S WIND 5 TO 15 KT. WIND WAVES 1 OR 2 FT

Just spoke with Silver Horde and Kevin is going to give us a bunch of plugs and such. Thanks!

Re: Blackmouth DERBY! 2/23/03 - 02/18/03 06:53 PM

Hey there Sky-Guy, would know if Ballard Bait is going to be opened this Saturday. I've tried calling them but continue to get there voice mail. I want to stop by and p/u that bait from them plus look in to what a case costs.

Thx, ErnDog

Re: Blackmouth DERBY! 2/23/03 - 02/19/03 04:48 PM

Weather looking positive laugh this Sunday. So who's catching the first fish. So is a 22" going to be the winner what ?? Think twice before you put it back.

Re: Blackmouth DERBY! 2/23/03 - 02/19/03 05:01 PM

I'll be good for a 23" :p eek

Re: Blackmouth DERBY! 2/23/03 - 02/19/03 05:04 PM

You gotta love it! Barry's boat pukes and he whores me out. That's what I call a good pimp!

Some of my seldom seen here buddies are regular Sloop Patrons. We will be fishing out of the "Ballard 'Ho".

I think our crew will include Cap'n Davie, Smurf, Byron with the BAD bASS boat - maybe you have seen him out there or at the Springer Flotilla, Myself and perhaps Collin. These guys are not regular posters here. I expect that they will be welcome too?

We will be bringing the boat through the locks Saturday and Mooring up at Shilshole. Give a call on 68 if you are out there. We should have plenty of soothing adult beverages onboard.

Re: Blackmouth DERBY! 2/23/03 - 02/19/03 05:57 PM

Sky-Guy, heres another prize for ya. I received a call today from John Burgi of Gamakatsu. He is putting together a package for me laugh to p/u on Friday. He said there would be some line, stickers, ect. I'll let you know more when I p/u.

Thx again to John Burgi of Gamakatsu.

Fish On,

ErnDog

Note: My other contacts Auburn S&M, could not donate this year, and Sportco, not heard back from them. When I p/u at Gama, I'm going to run in there and try one more time.

Re: Blackmouth DERBY! 2/23/03 - 02/19/03 06:23 PM

Just heard my buddy Omar pulled a 10#er out of Elliott Yesterday, so there are some big ones out there.

Ballard Bait should be open this weekend early, My bud Geoff is looking into it and I will post once I know exactly what their hours will be.

We will also be in guest moorage W dock over the weekend, so we will give you all a shout on 68 Saturday night and Sunday Morning.

Great work on the prize Erndog. And GUTZ, all who can fish on Sunday are welcome, the more the merrier!

Re: Blackmouth DERBY! 2/23/03 - 02/19/03 06:26 PM

By the way, there are folks out there that would like to participate but do not have a ride yet. If you are one of those folks, speak up here and be heard. If you have a spot on your boat and dont mind drinking the free beer they will be required to bring, post that here too! laugh laugh laugh laugh beer

****The last post on the third page contains all derby details*****

Re: Blackmouth DERBY! 2/23/03 - 02/19/03 09:35 PM

Skyguy,
Just confirming myself plus one for the derby. I'll be donating free morning brews to all fellow derby entrants, I'll be in a 17ft center console named"tartar sauce" two electric scotty DR off the back. Come by and say hi.
Andy

Re: Blackmouth DERBY! 2/23/03 - 02/19/03 09:58 PM

Was wondering if any of you guys are going to be moored there Saturday night. If so I might make a drive down and say hi. Meet some of you guys, if we don't get a chance at the weigh in.

Fish On,

ErnDog

Re: Blackmouth DERBY! 2/23/03 - 02/19/03 10:34 PM

I will be there with 2 others on board. Blue and White 21 ft Fiberform with flag flying.
Posted by: B. Gray

Re: Blackmouth DERBY! 2/23/03 - 02/19/03 11:05 PM

Hey there, looking forward to meeting some more people from the board. I'll be the short guy on Kev's Trophy fumbling with a knucklebuster.

Bigdawg, the other Bruce, you guys gonna show? I haven't had time to sort through this four-page thread and haven't thought about it much till I saw how nice things are looking for Sunday. ..
Posted by: JohnnyDeep

Re: Blackmouth DERBY! 2/23/03 - 02/20/03 12:06 AM

Damn and double damn...
I have been trying to get out of work sunday but it looks like its not gonna happen, its girl scout cookies and my company does the distribution, its only a couple of weeks each year but It means I have to set this out...Drink a few cold ones for me beer

oh yeah and good luck fishing too laugh

Re: Blackmouth DERBY! 2/23/03 - 02/20/03 12:12 AM

Posting for Doug Kelly, he and I will be fishing out of his boat Sunday, he has a 30 footer and room for a couple more people, if your looking for a ride contact Doug, his email address is available under his profile.
Posted by: PiperFLA

Re: Blackmouth DERBY! 2/23/03 - 02/20/03 03:39 PM

Back to the Top

I Think Myself and Crazy will be there. 15' Hewes Craft White... red topsides... old evenrudes and riggers...

Not sure where we're launching yet. Have no idea where to fish either but it'll be fun...

Any one have an idea for a distinguishing something or other to put on the boat to let everyone know who's part of the action.

ribbon on the antenna or someting like that...

We'll be easy to spot... look for the skinny dude with the net... and the blonde guy fighting the fish...

beer

Re: Blackmouth DERBY! 2/23/03 - 02/20/03 04:01 PM

PH, we 're going to be flying american flags out there. If you do not have one I've seen them at K-mart, Walmart, ect.. for under 2 bucks. Hope to meet you at there. If you' re coming from the South you can launch at Alki. If you do not feel like boating back to Alki after weigh in and feed, you can launch at Shilshoe.

ErnDog
Posted by: PiperFLA

Re: Blackmouth DERBY! 2/23/03 - 02/20/03 04:12 PM

beer

Re: Blackmouth DERBY! 2/23/03 - 02/20/03 06:17 PM

RatherBFishin has Duct taped the Amy Lynn back together! We will be at Shilshole Saturday Evening!

The "Ballard 'Ho" will be heading out, too.

Re: Blackmouth DERBY! 2/23/03 - 02/20/03 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Pickled Herring:
He says He's Hot and thirsty and we better hoist at least two!

I think I can ablige...

beer
More than two of those Slooper Sized (32 ounces!) ones and you better have somebody else drive!

Re: Blackmouth DERBY! 2/23/03 - 02/20/03 06:33 PM

There is some good news!

I think we have an extra roll on the boat in case you need to make any last minute repairs on the water this weekend laugh

So I personally have never used plugs in the salt for Salmon. How well do they work and who uses them?

Silver Horde set me up with some really nice 4" plugs in glo, splatter, chrome/blue, etc...all kinds of stuff. They have beads in them to make noise. How well do they stack up for Winter BM versus other traditional lures/baits?

Would they would be used more for summer kings, or other salmon species?

The plugs he gave me will be given away at this weekends derby thumbs

Re: Blackmouth DERBY! 2/23/03 - 02/20/03 06:39 PM

It has always been my belief that you will catch fewer Shakers on the plugs. Maybe a good theory to check out this weekend.

Re: Blackmouth DERBY! 2/23/03 - 02/20/03 06:45 PM

Sky-Guy, I tie a bead-chain swivel to my mainline and run about 4ft. of 40lbs. leader to the plug (do-not use flasher or dodger) troll fast (4-5mph) and run them a minimum 20 ft off the dr. Oh yeah, if you have an all white with a thin dark green stripe down the back, don't waste your time, give them to me to properly dispose of. wink

Re: Blackmouth DERBY! 2/23/03 - 02/20/03 07:00 PM

Forgot to mention, if your plugs come with trebbles dump them and go to a siwash.

Much easier to release the sub-legals that way and the keepers stay just as well if not better.

Re: Blackmouth DERBY! 2/23/03 - 02/20/03 07:10 PM

B. Gray and I are heading out Sat AM to do a little pre-derby fishing and well, it's just a good reason to get out. We'll be getting moorage Sat night down at Shilshole, so keep an eye out for us.
As far as plugs go, I tend to run them further back, like 60', get better action, IMO.

Looking forward to this weekend!

Kev

Re: Blackmouth DERBY! 2/23/03 - 02/20/03 07:40 PM

Having been to a number of Flotilla's, I think it might be helpful if we were to start a "Roll Call" thread with Boat Names, Call signs (channel 68) and crew list. Maybe even a brief description of the Craft. That way it will be easier to identify each other on the water.

Re: Blackmouth DERBY! 2/23/03 - 02/20/03 08:25 PM

Sky Guy, I am definately fishing the derby and I'll be in a white and blue 16ft Crestliner.
The one with the CHUM STICKS! thumbs
Good luck to everyone!
Posted by: SalmonBroadsandBeer.com

Re: Blackmouth DERBY! 2/23/03 - 02/20/03 11:05 PM

Team Salmon Broads and Beer will be participating with three people (Kelly, Terry and John). We'll be in our 16.5' Stabi-Craft, GREEN MACHINE, flying the red white and blue, and will monitor 68.

Sky, I plan on bringing the shirts and hats with me to give to you at the Sloop Tavern (about 4 or 5 of each) for prizes. Also, I plan on giving away free Salmon, Broads and Beer koozies/coozies (beer holders that keep your beer cool) to whoever would like some.

Looking forward to meeting you. Good luck!

- John

Re: Blackmouth DERBY! 2/23/03 - 02/21/03 12:53 AM

Ron Bob and I will be out there in a Smokercraft Alaskan, pretty easy to identify as the downriggers stick up at a 45 degree angle. I'll hang a flag out the back too hello

Re: Blackmouth DERBY! 2/23/03 - 02/21/03 01:13 AM

Quote:
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by Pickled Herring:
He says He's Hot and thirsty and we better hoist at least two!

I think I can ablige...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

More than two of those Slooper Sized (32 ounces!) ones and you better have somebody else drive!
That will probably be the trolling pattern that wins the derby!

PIckled,

Thanks for thinking about us out here. Believe me, the weather sucks! 90-95 degrees and humidity to go with it!

Downriggin'
Posted by: bigb8bigfish

Re: Blackmouth DERBY! 2/23/03 - 02/21/03 12:24 PM

Bump it up!!!!!!!!!!! beer

Robert

Re: Blackmouth DERBY! 2/23/03 - 02/21/03 01:25 PM

As Gutz posted, the Amy Lynn "party barge" shuld be there also, as long as Saturday's duct tape session goes as planned. Thanks for good friends! We will spending the night in guest moorage at Shilshole, probably the fuel dock area, so if anyone else is come visit.
-rbf
Posted by: seastrike

Re: Blackmouth DERBY! 2/23/03 - 02/21/03 01:56 PM

I will be out with a friend in a white 20' ctr console with the flag on my antenae.
I'll be on 68 and will answer to Seastrike.
Dave

Re: Blackmouth DERBY! 2/23/03 - 02/21/03 01:58 PM

Looks like the weather is going to be GREAT for Sundays derby.

Wish I could make it out there! cry

Re: Blackmouth DERBY! 2/23/03 - 02/21/03 02:13 PM

I wont be able to make it. I picked up the crud earlier this week. I have been runin a tempature for three days now. I am going to stay home and play sick. Good luck guys I will catch you next time. Man this being sick stuff sucks.

Re: Blackmouth DERBY! 2/23/03 - 02/21/03 05:42 PM

I'll be out, probably on the west side (Restoration to Jeff Head), in a 22' C-Dory Angler with large commercial Ratheon radome, answer to Fishy or the Kitchen Pass, on 68.
Posted by: starcraft tom

Re: Blackmouth DERBY! 2/23/03 - 02/21/03 06:01 PM

i will be their on sunday morning with spinner. we will launch out of Shilshoe. I have a 18ft starcraft (go figure) with a white top and tan hull ( wife calls it light pink) with 2 downriggers. I have boated a lot of big water but not the salt so any advice is welcomed.
I may come down to visit on saturday night on my way back from the rally for the troops in silverdale. Iam the guy with the free Iraq bomb france sign. beer

Re: Blackmouth DERBY! 2/23/03 - 02/21/03 07:07 PM

Oh yeah, on 68 we will answer to "free beer!"

ha ha, well, the boat is the Amy Lynn (Will be renamed some day) but hail ratherbfishin or Gutz on 68.

Sounds like at least three boats in Shilshole moorage Sat evening, -- SkyGuy and Kev, so we expect to we will see you there.

-ratherb beer

Re: Blackmouth DERBY! 2/23/03 - 02/21/03 07:14 PM

I was just going to print this so we would have a bit of list as to who is gonna be out, but its 30 pages!

Re: Blackmouth DERBY! 2/23/03 - 02/21/03 09:35 PM

I'm in a 17ft center console with electric scotty DR off the back. I go by tartar sauce ch68.

Re: Blackmouth DERBY! 2/23/03 - 02/21/03 10:00 PM

Update on the Ballard Bait deal:

In order to obtain 2 free dozen bait, Ballard Bait would like you to print out this post only and present it in when you go to pick the bait up.

They will be at their location on Saturday from 9-10:30am and Sunday morning from 5:15-9:00am. Please stop by during one of those two times for the free bait.

They are located at 5450 Shilshole ave N.W.
206-784-3016

2 dozen per person only.

The reason for the specific hours is that it is off-season and they normally dont hold these hours.

They will also be providing a free case of bait as a derby prize. For supporting us, please use Ballard bait in the future for any of your bait needs.

beer beer beer beer
Yah-hoo it's derby weekend!

Re: Blackmouth DERBY! 2/23/03 - 02/21/03 10:05 PM

I'll be in a Harbercraft...open aluminum boat, tiller control. I'll be with Fisher-X.
Posted by: chaser

Re: Blackmouth DERBY! 2/23/03 - 02/21/03 10:52 PM

I would have liked to have made it but I have to work this weekend. Would have been fun. What with all the Black Boxes on the water I'm sure area 10 will be "positively hot" laugh on sunday. Just make sure you keep your hands in the boat or you might be getting a buzz from somthing other than the beer! rolleyes Good Luck and catch you all at the next one
Posted by: Current Drifter

Re: Blackmouth DERBY! 2/23/03 - 02/22/03 04:34 PM

My friend Joe and I will be in a Grady White and answer to Current Drifter on 68. Will probably start at West Point and head north if not productive.

Re: Blackmouth DERBY! 2/23/03 - 02/22/03 10:18 PM

I went to Ballard Bait today at 10:30 to pick up the two free packs of bait.....the owner said that I was the only person who had come in!
I left my boat at the guest dock (shilshole)after fishing Manchester today and didn't see anyone at either Manchester or the dock....is this flotila going to be a bust?
Dave
OH and I caught one keeper today (barely legal at 23 inches.)

Re: Blackmouth DERBY! 2/23/03 - 02/22/03 11:04 PM

So that was you huh?
I talked to our ballard bait bud's when I went by around 1:30 today to pick up the case of bait as a prize. He mentioned only 1 person showed up today.

eek 30 dozens in a case, thats a hell of alot of bait. eek

We were down at the end of W dock from 12:30-1:15, than back a little later. Geoff is staying the night down there. His heater isnt working so I will be sleeping at home. sleep

When I spoke to him last RatherBfishin was on his way across from Bainbridge to moore up at J dock.

Hey, if noone shows, and you catch a fish tomorrow, there will be prize garuntee's... you may even win that nice GL2!
Posted by: Mooch

Re: Blackmouth DERBY! 2/23/03 - 02/23/03 01:34 AM

Well guys looks like it will be a couple of more days before I head off for parts south and warmer to get in some golf. So it looks like I'm going hang around long enough to put the hurt on some BM this Sunday. I'll have a few hours to fish with the kids around Pt No Pt but there is no way I'll make it all the way over to conflab with ya. It would be great to meet the gang but hopefully another day soon.

At the end of the day though I'll be tipping my hat in deference towards the east as the eventual winner is crowned. May it be a bigger fish than I am going to catch too. laugh

Have at 'er mates. And may the best baitboy win.
Don't spit in yer windward either.

Re: Blackmouth DERBY! 2/23/03 - 02/23/03 06:08 PM

The weather kept me from running too far. We fished W. Point and 4 Mile until 11 and then Meadow Pt for a little while and pulled the plug at 11:45. We only caught shakers....how did everyone else do?
The fish checker said he had yet to see a fish when we left.
Sorry we skipped the party at the Sloop- my partner had honey-do's to do!
Dave