225 Honda or Yamaha 4-stroke?

Posted by: Dan L

225 Honda or Yamaha 4-stroke? - 03/30/03 10:32 AM

I think my old Mercury has bit the dust. If I repower (ouch) would like to go with the 4-stokes to get away from burning oil. Any body have any experience with either of these engines?

Support our troops!
Posted by: Easy Limits

Re: 225 Honda or Yamaha 4-stroke? - 03/30/03 07:18 PM

Both are good choices right now. Yamaha seems to be getting all the awards lately though. what
Posted by: Hoghunter

Re: 225 Honda or Yamaha 4-stroke? - 03/30/03 07:50 PM

Don't own either personally but all the charter and commercial guys that I have seen in the past year from Oregon to Canada are running the Yamaha's. They are extremely quiet and fuel efficient. Haven't heard any mechanical complaints.
Posted by: havnfun

Re: 225 Honda or Yamaha 4-stroke? - 03/30/03 11:20 PM

more yamaha dealers around than honda so if promlems do come up easier to find someone to work one yamaha
Posted by: SteelieDan

Re: 225 Honda or Yamaha 4-stroke? - 03/31/03 01:18 AM

FYI, I saw an article in Boating magazine a few months ago which says that the Merc. 225 is actually a Yamaha under a Merc. cowling. And apparently the black cowling somehow made the Merc. quieter than the Yamaha (which also ran quieter than the Honda, btw.
Posted by: Dan L

Re: 225 Honda or Yamaha 4-stroke? - 03/31/03 09:06 PM

Thanks guys for the replies. Made a couple of good points especially number of Yamaha dealers around. Think it will be a grey monster.

Keep on fishin
Posted by: mikvin

Re: 225 Honda or Yamaha 4-stroke? - 04/01/03 10:18 PM

I just got a pair of new Yamaha 225 four strokes and they absolutely rock. The fuel econony and peformance in these new four strokes is awesome. Going through the locks a couple of weeks ago everyone with inboards was taking about how quiet they were and how clean they run. Well worth stepping up to. I can cruise my 30 plus footer at 40 mph and get 1.5 mile to gallon.