Poor man's lobster? Got the recipe?

Posted by: Dogfish

Poor man's lobster? Got the recipe? - 05/09/03 12:15 AM

A friend of mine went fishing for halibut today and dropped off a nice hunk, plus some black cod. Anyway, I heard of people boiling water with salt or sugar in it, then dropping in cubes of halibut in the boiling water until it floats. Anybody have the correct recipe?

Thanks in advance!

Andy

P.S. Any ideas for the black cod filets?
Posted by: Idaho Mike

Re: Poor man's lobster? Got the recipe? - 05/09/03 12:29 AM

Dog fish, you use sugar and not salt. I tried this once on a trip to Alaska a few years ago. You cut the halibut up into bite size chunks. I just can't recall how much sugar you add to the boiling water, so unless someone has the exact amount you may have to experiment with it. At any rate after your water gets boiling drop the halibut chunks in. When they float to the surface they are done. It does taste quite a bit like lobster.

Good luck with it.

Mike
Posted by: drift boat

Re: Poor man's lobster? Got the recipe? - 05/09/03 07:48 AM

Boil it in 7-up the same way we do Sturgeon and it comes out great beer
Posted by: ONTHESAUK

Re: Poor man's lobster? Got the recipe? - 05/09/03 10:47 AM

The way I learned it was to use chicken broth.
Posted by: kjackson

Re: Poor man's lobster? Got the recipe? - 05/09/03 12:26 PM

You can also use crab boil (find it at Safeway or QFC in the spices section). Or another thing to do is use a little Tabasco, salt, a little liquid smoke, and some garlic. Throw in a bay leaf. However, I'm not sure why anyone would do that to halibut. Rockfish on the other hand...

Bon apetit,

Keith
Posted by: Fish4Fun

Re: Poor man's lobster? Got the recipe? - 05/09/03 03:40 PM

The best way I have found is the 7-UP. Cube the fish into about 1 inch chunks, bring 7-UP to a brisk boil and then drop the fish in. It will turn white within a couple of minutes. Once the 7-UP is back to a boil, I only cook it for about 4 minutes. Melt some Tillimook cream "salted" butter, add a little bit of liquid garlic juice to the butter. From trial and error we have found that you have to use "Salted" butter to get the flavoring correct. Don't over cook the fish it will get rubbery.

As soon as you get this ready, call and I will sample for you laugh
Posted by: John Lee Hookum

Re: Poor man's lobster? Got the recipe? - 05/09/03 04:02 PM

I always steam my fish to get that Lobster taste and texture. I would recomend you try steaming instead of boiling and using the seasoning of choice. thumbs
Posted by: racerdan

Re: Poor man's lobster? Got the recipe? - 05/09/03 09:43 PM

Just pure 7-up? Since i have a few pounds of gator left in the freezer i reckin ill give this a try.
Posted by: HntnFsh

Re: Poor man's lobster? Got the recipe? - 05/09/03 11:47 PM

2 cups sugar.1 cup salt in large pan with about 2 quarts of water.
I cut my sturgeon in 1/4 inch strips instead of cubes like a lot of people do.
Dissolve the salt and sugar then bring to a boil.Drop the fish in.Stir til it floats.About a minute or 2.Then pull it out and let it drain.Dip in garlic butter like for steamers or lobster.and enjoy the feast.
You can add other seasoning to the water or fish as you like.
Ive heard of the 7up trick.Also heard about using milk somehow.Just had great luck with the recipe I use so I stick with it.
Posted by: Duck In The Fog

Re: Poor man's lobster? Got the recipe? - 05/10/03 12:48 AM

Just tried the 7-up thing and now I have added this to my favorite list. The duck
Posted by: drift boat

Re: Poor man's lobster? Got the recipe? - 05/10/03 05:54 PM

What can I say . I have been doing it that way for years. thumbs
Posted by: racerdan

Re: Poor man's lobster? Got the recipe? - 05/10/03 10:07 PM

Just treid the 7-up with springer. And it was awesome, much better than the sturgeon.IMHO Try it youll like it.
Posted by: Eric

Re: Poor man's lobster? Got the recipe? - 05/14/03 10:52 AM

I tried hntnfish's recipe last night with some sturgeon caught last week.........excellent stuff!! I've always breaded and fried it in the past but this was delicious. I especially liked the quick prep/cook time. Just another recipe for the arsenal.
Posted by: F F F

Re: Poor man's lobster? Got the recipe? - 05/14/03 01:47 PM

7up is good but the original recipe is with Sprite. That little bit of lemon lime really makes a difference. Boil no more than 4 minutes.

This recipe works AWESOME for lake trout. Tastes just like lobster!