Fraser Sockeye Fishing/Camping Info

Posted by: G-MAN

Fraser Sockeye Fishing/Camping Info - 06/20/03 09:21 PM

Canadian Fisheries are predicting 70, Yes, SEVENTY MILLION SOCKEYE this year!! beathead
We figure we'll limit in 1 hr laugh
Last year the fish averaged between 8 to 11 lbs.
There is also more info at WWW.BCANGLING.COM
Or WWW.FREDS-BC.COM

Camping? Yes, at Island 22 Campground. Call (604)792-5567 There are 100 spots
Posted by: Blackbart

Re: Fraser Sockeye Fishing/Camping Info - 06/20/03 10:20 PM

Hey, one of the guys on the duck hunters refuge site was just talking about a trip up there in August. Sounds like a good trip and since I'm not getting to go to Alaska this year I was thinking about going up. hello
Posted by: ramstrong

Re: Fraser Sockeye Fishing/Camping Info - 06/20/03 11:22 PM

I thought 70 was the combined run # including pinks. I thought the sockeye forecast was for 10 million. Even if it's only the 10 million I heard, that's still a lot of fish in the river.
Posted by: Mr Smiley

Re: Fraser Sockeye Fishing/Camping Info - 06/21/03 05:00 AM

70 Million Sockeye! Please tell me it is true! The only info I have seen predicts 2.8-5.0 million. Where did you see 70? Please let it be 70...
Posted by: RK43

Re: Fraser Sockeye Fishing/Camping Info - 06/21/03 10:30 AM

That's it, I have made up my mind!! I am going north to fish the Frasier this year. Going to pull my sled up and go for it. Is there camping off of the river? Where should I launch? What is the prefered terminal gear? Do the fish have a silly accent?

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Posted by: Fishingjunky15

Re: Fraser Sockeye Fishing/Camping Info - 06/21/03 05:33 PM

I might just have to make a trip up to Canadia this year, eh? rolleyes I'd like to know what is used in the river and the techniques used.

RK43:

I sure hope the fish don't have accents! rofl
Posted by: fish monger

Re: Fraser Sockeye Fishing/Camping Info - 06/21/03 08:17 PM

For the boatless, how are the prospects for a bank maggot up there?
Posted by: barnettm

Re: Fraser Sockeye Fishing/Camping Info - 06/21/03 09:38 PM

The prediction I read was 15 million Sockeye and 50 million pinks.
Posted by: Salmon Leader

Re: Fraser Sockeye Fishing/Camping Info - 06/21/03 11:15 PM

Fishing from the bank up there for Sockeye will show you just how many "Fisherman" catch them. Can you say "Flossing"? Very long leaders, a tuft of yarn ("wool" in Canandian), a 10.5' - 12' pole and lots of horizontal rip setting. Stay away from the bank flossers when you get up there and you'll have a great time catching them legit. That will be your biggest challenge as they (the Flossers) are all over the place. There are many people who do fish correctly and are also very willing to help their USA friends. Check out Fred's Custum Tackle web site. It may be a good idea to be Guided once to make your trip really worth it.
Posted by: willametteriveroutlaw

Re: Fraser Sockeye Fishing/Camping Info - 06/22/03 01:24 AM

Slamon leader,
How exactly to you get sockeyes to bite? I have literally caught a couple of thousand and can count the biters on one hand. If you know a trick I would be game for hearing it.
Posted by: Mr Smiley

Re: Fraser Sockeye Fishing/Camping Info - 06/22/03 07:45 PM

Last fall I saw such huge schools of Sox holding off the mouth of the Fraser they were bumping into the boat and hitting the wires. Saw tens of thousands jump (20 at a time - If I had less freeboard some would have jumped into the boat). All that and only managed to boat 2 and they we had to throw them back as DFO still did not agree with the masses that there were enough returning for an opening.

The pinks this year should be something to see...
Posted by: oolichan

Re: Fraser Sockeye Fishing/Camping Info - 06/22/03 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Salmon Leader:
Fishing from the bank up there for Sockeye will show you just how many "Fisherman" catch them. Can you say "Flossing"? Very long leaders, a tuft of yarn ("wool" in Canandian), a 10.5' - 12' pole and lots of horizontal rip setting. Stay away from the bank flossers when you get up there and you'll have a great time catching them legit. That will be your biggest challenge as they (the Flossers) are all over the place. There are many people who do fish correctly and are also very willing to help their USA friends. Check out Fred's Custum Tackle web site. It may be a good idea to be Guided once to make your trip really worth it.
So Freds has convicned you that your catching them legit?

You can catch socks legit, but now very well in the mainstem Fraser. The waster visibility at (most) times is less than 8 inches and the fish are moving through the river fast in 4-6 feet of water.

If you go out with a guide you WILL be flossing fish, because that is the nature of this fishery. Having said that, I would agree that you will have a great time with one of the local guides and he'll also put you into sturgeon and chinooks if you're so inclined.

And to anyone planning to fish from the bank, bring your own rock and your favourite weapon. The Sockeye meat hunt brings out the worst in people, and they actually closed one gravel bar down last year due to vioence and poor behaviour.
Posted by: shawn

Re: Fraser Sockeye Fishing/Camping Info - 06/23/03 02:28 AM

How far of a drive is this river from seattle? Is the bank access limited?
Posted by: CraigO

Re: Fraser Sockeye Fishing/Camping Info - 06/23/03 09:56 AM

Does anyone now what date this is going to open? Thanks in advance for the info.
Posted by: bowhunter

Re: Fraser Sockeye Fishing/Camping Info - 06/23/03 09:20 PM

Hey gang just got back last night from a 3 day trip to china creek ( Port Alberni) and the sockeye fishing was a bust, the locals are saying they are just now coming in whereas last year they were already in good....going back in a couple weeks, should be hot then!
Posted by: BratBonker

Re: Fraser Sockeye Fishing/Camping Info - 06/23/03 09:42 PM

It is about a 3 to 3 1/2 hour drive from Washington all depending on the border and how thoughly they are checking. beer

Re: Fraser Sockeye Fishing/Camping Info - 06/24/03 01:18 AM

Ok, lets clear up a few things so the water is'nt so muddy about fishing the FRASER, ok?
I get my info off Fred's web page. Last year there were 6 million Reds, and my arms were tired for WEEKS! If there are only 10 million Reds this year we all are gonna think we died and went to Fish Heaven! beathead

Island 22 is 1 hour from Bellingham or 20 mins from the Sumas Border.

It is light at 5:15am there in August . FYI

Boat Launch and camping at Island 22. Give them a call. 604-792-5567

Check out www.anglingbc.com
Posted by: fish monger

Re: Fraser Sockeye Fishing/Camping Info - 06/24/03 01:54 AM

G-MAN,

Thanks for all the great info. Just the way it should be...just the facts.
Posted by: Bounty Hunter

Re: Fraser Sockeye Fishing/Camping Info - 06/24/03 01:10 PM

beer

Awesome post. I am speechless. hello Thanks for the help and advice.

Re: Fraser Sockeye Fishing/Camping Info - 06/24/03 04:11 PM

G-MAN,

You are truly the MAN. That was one of the best posts I have ever read on this forum.

How about the sled guys? Are there places to hide from the crowd, and do a bit of private flossing? EH? Can't wait to clean a few reds teeth...

What town is island 22 near? I want to take a look at on the map.

Thanks again for the awsome post!!! hello hello
Posted by: Bounty Hunter

Re: Fraser Sockeye Fishing/Camping Info - 06/24/03 06:47 PM

In answer to the last question, I did a little search and viola:

http://www.fvrd.bc.ca/Parks/explore-our-parks/island-22/

Re: Fraser Sockeye Fishing/Camping Info - 06/25/03 02:08 AM

RK43,

Island 22 is about 2 to 3 miles north of Chilliwack.

Sleds are the best choice evil

Remember, there will be THOUSANDS of fish moving up all at once and they like to stay fairly close to the bank, 10 to 50 feet out but, they like fast slots to run up. That river splits in all directions, all over. Alot of channels for them to move through. wink Bring your big net, there are some nice kings in there then. I got a 30lbr last year. It was too big for my silver net so some guy helped me beach it. laugh

Oh yeh, if your fishing early in the morning don't forget the skeeker spray! mad They can be nasty up till 10 am. thumbs
Posted by: Fishingjunky15

Re: Fraser Sockeye Fishing/Camping Info - 06/25/03 12:48 PM

Salmon, Trout, and Steelhead had a artical, by Dave Vedder, last year on this fishery. He fished with a 10 1/2 foot rod, 10-20 pound test, 1-2 once Bouncing Betty, 10 foot leader, 1/0 hook, green cheater and army green wool. He said they caught hundreds of sockeye and quite a few chinook over twenty pounds! I'm going to have to make a trip!

Re: Fraser Sockeye Fishing/Camping Info - 06/25/03 12:58 PM

G-MAN

I have a 21ft Wooldridge with a 70 lb river anchor and no chain. Will it be enough?

I would have to pass through Bellingham on the way up. An extra seat could be made available for the knowledge exchange. Let me know.
Posted by: Fish4Fun

Re: Fraser Sockeye Fishing/Camping Info - 06/25/03 02:07 PM

RK43,

I take my 20 foor inboard Weldcraft up to the Fraser all the time. I have a 65 pound river anchor with 4 modified claws on it and I have no trouble with anchoring. I launch at Island 22 when we go up, no problem at all. Like was already said they can fire 20 boats at a time off this gravel bar. If the water is down, like in October you may have to get the truck tires in the water to get the boat on and off the trailer. Still it is no big deal, the down current side of the ramp is the deepest though.
Posted by: Snake Pliskin

Re: Fraser Sockeye Fishing/Camping Info - 06/25/03 02:49 PM

G-man, nice post. beer

*A good place to stay and usually there are a lot of anglers there, is the Best Western Rainbow Country Inn in Chiliwack on Lickman Road Exit. Good breakfasts and good bar. beer

Have a good trip! laugh
Posted by: Dave D

Re: Fraser Sockeye Fishing/Camping Info - 06/25/03 02:57 PM

Hey Snake Pliskin

When is the sequel to Escape From New York coming out? laugh

Re: Fraser Sockeye Fishing/Camping Info - 06/25/03 03:00 PM

Thanks for the info fish4fun. I appreciate the help. Do you ever camp on any of the bars?
Posted by: Fish4Fun

Re: Fraser Sockeye Fishing/Camping Info - 06/25/03 03:11 PM

RK43,

Never tried the bar camping yet, but we are tossing the idea around. There are 2 ways to approach the boat ramp problem. Be there very early and be towards the front of the line at Island 22 or wait and let the first major wave of boats and trucks get out of there. Being the crazy type, we go for the first wave and get going early. Then ask ourselve if we have lost our minds, because it is so early in the morning. eek
Posted by: 4Salt

Re: Fraser Sockeye Fishing/Camping Info - 06/25/03 03:19 PM

Hey LT,

I take it you missed Snake escaping from Los Angeles? wink laugh

A couple of more things to add:

There are boat launches also at Gill road, and farther upstream above Agassiz at Herling island.

If you get your license at Fred's, help them out a little and buy some tackle like your Bouncin' Betties there too. They don't make much if any money on the license sales, and it can be hectic in there with 50 guys waiting to buy their licenses.

Click here , then click "Fishing reports." Scroll down a little and there is a downloadable map of the Fraser river bars and access points between Mission and Hope that you can print and use as a guide.

You DO NOT have to constantly set the hook to floss these fish. Most of the time your rod will just bend over and you'll have one on.

Re: Fraser Sockeye Fishing/Camping Info - 06/27/03 12:08 PM

RK43,

Camping on the gravel bars of the Fraser is a lot of fun and sometimes you can have an entire bar to yourself, but the Fraser river valley can be windy, so take some extra long and strong tent stakes.

LT,

I do have a sequel coming out:

"Escape from the wife and kids to fish more"

wink
Posted by: Bobber Down

Re: Fraser Sockeye Fishing/Camping Info - 06/27/03 03:05 PM

If your casting from the bank, just remember that it might not be wise keeping a spring over 18lbs because its often at least a mile hike back to the truck in 80-90 sunshine. Made a mistake once of carrying out a big spring and couple nice sox and the 1.5 mile hike almost did me in. Now all the big ones get realeased and the smaller ones get bonked!

All I can say is I hope the Fraser doesn't turn into a big Cowlitz. rolleyes Bring lots of "betty's" you'll need them!

I second or third the birth certificate, they'll give you some grief at the border if you don't have one or a passport.

See everyone up there this summer.

BD
Posted by: 4Salt

Re: Fraser Sockeye Fishing/Camping Info - 06/27/03 04:14 PM

Quote:
All I can say is I hope the Fraser doesn't turn into a big Cowlitz.
Actually, I almost hope it does BD! Last year there were more people at Grassy bar ALONE than I've ever seen at Blue Creek! (I'm talkin' late 80's, early 90's , the real heyday of BC) eek laugh

Luckily there's a WHOLE lot of river to fish (with a boat) and a WHOLE lot of fish to catch! thumbs

Just ask the half of the city of Vancouver's population that fishes it during sox season! laugh laugh

Re: Fraser Sockeye Fishing/Camping Info - 06/27/03 01:47 PM

How big a motor do you need to make it over to the islands?

Will a 12-foot rowboat with a 7-horse work?

Re: Fraser Sockeye Fishing/Camping Info - 06/27/03 03:06 PM

LT:

You could make it "over" to an island, but I wouldn't try to go up or down the Fraser looking for islands. The Fraser is the color of mocha, so visibility is minimal. Snags, stumps and rocks are hidden. Plus there are some big tugs that go up and down the river, and their wake is huge. I hope you have a lot of freeboard and that 7 hp is running good. Best to bank it to be safe. fishy

Re: Fraser Sockeye Fishing/Camping Info - 06/27/03 03:23 PM

Only about 1 foot of free board, I think I will pass or hitch hike to the island laugh
Posted by: Jerry Garcia

Re: Fraser Sockeye Fishing/Camping Info - 06/27/03 05:45 PM

I would say no as that river really moves. I suppose if you took out down river from where you put in, but probably not safe.

Re: Fraser Sockeye Fishing/Camping Info - 06/27/03 07:47 PM

Is there anyone who offers a TAXI to the island? You know give someone a $20 or something to shuttle you and your tent across the river.

Re: Fraser Sockeye Fishing/Camping Info - 06/28/03 02:00 AM

Some addl info you'll need if your comming up or going to launch at Island 22. (Which isn't an island) smile

Launch fee- $5.35 cdn per day or $26.75 per year. The office don't open up until 6 or 7 but if your going to launch before that , go ahead, They'll leave a note on your rig and you can pay when you get back. thumbs

The Border crossing in Sumas is DEAD! at 4:30 at 5:00 in the morning. Once we had 1 vehicle infront of us last year laugh Don't know after 5:00 because were never that late crossing laugh

If your planning on staying a couple of days, I'd suggest going on-line and search Hotels and Motels in Chilliwack. With the exchange rate it's not to expensive wink

RK43, email me when we get closer, maybe we can hook up one day?
Posted by: Bob

Re: Fraser Sockeye Fishing/Camping Info - 06/28/03 12:08 PM

Can't help with fishery info much ... but we always use the Sumas crossing when we come and go every year and it's never had more than a couple of cars in front when we've gone ... at all hours of the day. Just an FYI wink
Posted by: Somethingsmellsf

Re: Fraser Sockeye Fishing/Camping Info - 06/29/03 10:25 AM

Sounds like a great fishery. Where can i launch a 17 ft fiberform up there, can i run this out to that island? and will i be fish food running into snags, boulders and the like?
Posted by: CraigO

Re: Fraser Sockeye Fishing/Camping Info - 07/01/03 09:56 AM

LT - My 14 footer only has an 8.8 and 2 of us made it upstream to a bar. If you get the time we can do a shuttle. beer
Posted by: S.Szymczak

Re: Fraser Sockeye Fishing/Camping Info - 07/01/03 10:14 PM

Well fellas, Im a first time poster on this site so hello to all. Seccondly, howdy B.Bart.

Now down to buisness

The Fraser above the Mission bridge has many accesable bars for a banky to fish with or without a boat. The boat is just gonna get you a bit more privacy.
7 horse motor?????Nope wouldnt think of it!!!! I value my life to much for that, the Fraser has some fast current, and 7 horses aint gonna get you there safely, 10 is bare bones and still pushing your luck!!
Now as far as the "combat fishery"that sockeye openings provide......well it aint that bad!! People are generaly happy due to the fact that EVERYONE catches their fish!!!

Gear for flossing the Fraser, 2-4oz bouncing betties, 8-12 foot of leader 5 pounds or so less than your main line, 2/0-3/0 hooks, wool, 3 way swivels. Thats it, JUST have lots on hand, you will give up tons of tackle to the river.

No secrets to this fishery, just leave any attitude at home there's lots of fish for everyone.

PS
Historicaly the sockeye opening is the first weekend in Aug.
Its shotgun open and close though, so be ready to head out as soon as it opens!!
Posted by: oolichan

Re: Fraser Sockeye Fishing/Camping Info - 07/02/03 12:13 AM

To be honest this thread bothers me - the Fraser goonfest is becoming almost too much too handle for this local. That being said, there are a couple things of note that will make it easier for all of us, fish included:

- Use heavy gear, this is a meat fishery and you ARE snagging fish. Please do not use leaders under 15#s, there is enough line in the river already. I recommend 25# leaders. They allow you to handline (with a glove) and release sockeye quickly and they put you in a good position to land the big spings that are invariably flossed.

- Please do not catch and release sockeye all day. Water temps are high and these fish have a long journey. Mortality is estimated at 5-10% - a 75 fish day means you killed 7 - 10 fish. There is no pride in hooking (snagging) 75 sockeye. If you've klunked your two sockeye, toss out the bar rods and plunk for springs. Better yet

- 60 - 80# anchor with 10 feet of chain is standard

- Watch out for submerged Indian nets, they'll stop you dead

- Bring a sounder and find your own piece of water, most of the really busy bars are due to the guys in little tubs with prop driven boats that have a limited range.

- Most importantly, leave some money up north. The strong American dollar makes buying goods and services in Canada a bargain. Gas up your boat/truck and buy some gear locally. Stay a night in Chilliwack or Abbotsford. Consider hiring a local guide (send me a PM for some referals) for a great day on the water, you will gain invaluable local knowledge, and have a great shot at landing 2 socks, a spring and a 6-10' sturgeon all in the same day.