Question about Sekiu

Posted by: Sullie

Question about Sekiu - 08/01/03 02:09 AM

Might be heading over towards sekiu in a couple of weeks and was wondering how and where i should fish. I will be in a boat, but with out downriggers(if they are even needed). Was planning on targeting silvers, and any info will be greatly apprietiated. Thanks in advance!
Posted by: Sparkey

Re: Question about Sekiu - 08/01/03 02:18 AM

Sullie-
I will be out there in a couple weeks as well chasing after coho with the bugrod.

We will be spending our time amongst the kelp beds chucking poppers on the surface.

But anyways...just bucktail a Grand Slam Bucktail in the propwash with an inline spinner. You will have no problem locating fish and catching them if they are not in deeper water already. I've done this the past few years out of the rental boats and had a blast!
Posted by: stlhead

Re: Question about Sekiu - 08/01/03 07:00 AM

You should have no problem on silvers. There will be a lot and they hit just about anything. Faster clip and 30 feet down. If kings are open again, they may open it again, then mooch the kelp beds right before daylight, tide changes and right at dark. 50 feet of water 25 pulls. Where downriggers fear to tread.
Posted by: charr

Re: Question about Sekiu - 08/01/03 01:23 PM

Sullie, I too am going over on the 15th of August for the weekend. IS that when you're going. If so, I will be in a blue and white Crestliner. Say hi if you see me.
Craig

Re: Question about Sekiu - 08/01/03 03:48 PM

Thanks for the info guys! What tides do i need to fish or does it not matter?

Charr, i am not quit sure what days i will be over there. If i am there the same time you are i will be in a 10' glass boat with a 4 hrs johnson on it (embarrassing i know but it gets fish.)
Posted by: charr

Re: Question about Sekiu - 08/01/03 03:57 PM

Sullie, no need to be embarassed about your boat. I fished out of a 14ft aluminum for 2 years till I about sunk it coming back from Point No Point. As far as the tides, the last time I was up there we just fished and didn't really pay much attention to the tides. I just make sure that I troll with the tide.

Re: Question about Sekiu - 08/04/03 12:03 AM

Charr, I will be over there this up coming weekend. Hope to see some of you guys out there.
Posted by: spawnout

Re: Question about Sekiu - 08/04/03 12:39 AM

I'll be up there Wednesday and Thursday with the relatives - about half a dozen of them want to fish so I'll be doing 2 shifts - might even get in enough fishing with the 4 fish limit on laugh Last week I hooked all the silvers and humpys I wanted fishing 20 feet deep in 100 to 250 feet of water following the rips, so no 'riggers needed, although I always bring mine along as conditions may change. Tides don't seem to matter, neither does direction, although I'm trolling about 3.5 most of the time so I'm way faster than the current no matter which way I go. And I fished that place for years in a 12 foot Valco short shaft - makes my Smokercraft Lodge seem like a luxury liner by comparison. Anyway, should have fish coming out my ears, let you know all about it when I get back beer
Posted by: Fishingjunky15

Re: Question about Sekiu - 08/04/03 02:21 AM

Sullie:

I'll be out there this weekend too. We will be fishing in an 14' aluminum boat with a blue 25hr Johnson motor. Our boat will be the one with an electric motorup front (never used in the salt) mini downriggers, and a depth finder that is outside of the boat. We also won't be going out far. Hope both of us will catch many fish!
Posted by: dangerous dave

Re: Question about Sekiu - 08/04/03 02:49 AM

Sullie,

Just read the responses to this post and all are right on target. Went last year, didn't pay attention to the tides and just caught fish after fish. I was using downriggers, but only sent them down about 20-30 feet. I caught so many fish! What a blast. I'm getting out of the Navy in a couple weeks and flying home after being at sea for the last 7 months. Really looking forward to fishing! I'll be out there around that timeframe. Look for me in a 22' Trophy Pro.
Posted by: micropterus101

Re: Question about Sekiu - 08/04/03 04:42 AM

Hey rockfish could you bring back some of those black rockfish? Or would that be sacraligous (sp?)
Posted by: Jeffhead

Re: Question about Sekiu - 08/04/03 11:10 AM

Last year spoons outfished everything else for us. Coho Killers or 3.5" Coyotes in Cop Car, Army Truck or Blue/Chrome were the ticket. First couple of hours in the morning a 2 ounce weight with just a cutplug was hot. Never fished deeper than 35'. Riggers, banana weights or a dipsy or deep six will get you on the fish. Best area for us was out in the shipping lanes (600' of water).
Good luck and tight lines, Jeff laugh laugh