Auxillary motor steering system

Posted by: Periwinkle

Auxillary motor steering system - 09/10/03 01:45 AM

I need remote steering for my trolling motor that is not connected to the i/o main motor. My cabin is too far and difficult to get to, and holding the outboard handle leaves very limited vision around the Ak cabin.. Whatis available?? Guesses on $$ ? thanks, Peri help
Posted by: FishNg1

Re: Auxillary motor steering system - 09/10/03 02:09 AM

TR 1 Gold, that is what I have on my boat, and it is worth every penny. Check out their website for more info. I think that they may also advertise on this board and may give some discount for members.

Steve Ng
Posted by: solidsteel

Re: Auxillary motor steering system - 09/10/03 03:48 AM

I have the same problem on my boat. And the other problem is I don't think my wife is going to go for the price of a TR-1 gold. I was looking at the panther remote steering system on the cabelas site. I think its $300. But it doesn't give very much information about it.
I haven't heard anything about it good or bad yet. So I 'm still looking for suggestions of what works for everyone else.

Thanks, SS
Posted by: jimh

Re: Auxillary motor steering system - 09/10/03 07:49 AM

EZ Steer is another option. It doesn't have any smarts though like TR-1. That is, a connector goes from the kicker to the main motor.

I have EZ Steer on my boat. It isn't great, but it works pretty well.
Posted by: Jersey Fresh

Re: Auxillary motor steering system - 09/10/03 11:36 AM

I've had good success with the EZ-Steer, or as I like to call it- the Lazy-Steer.
Posted by: ROCK

Re: Auxillary motor steering system - 09/10/03 04:27 PM

I have the EZ-Steer also works great for my boat. Love to upgrade maybe later. beer
Posted by: Hoghunter

Re: Auxillary motor steering system - 09/10/03 09:24 PM

Ditto FishNg1. I've had all the others and would never go back. TR-1 by Nautamatic is the only way to go if you want a truly independent remote steering for your kicker that works.

Re: Auxillary motor steering system - 09/11/03 01:24 AM

Thanks Steve,, you're right they are an advertiser on PP.. Their web is a little vague, so I'll try the 800# to find a local dealer. Does the TR 1 system come with out all those bells and whistles? I'm not smart enough to use a GPS ..... so only want remote steer and throtle. Surprised someone isn't competing with Nautamatic.

E-Z is not independent from main steering system......

Good luck convincing wifey, S Steel..... maybe let her man the tiller steering at 'humpy hollow' on a Sunday trip.......... ha ha -- like Stevie Wonder in rush hour traffic!!! laugh
Posted by: solidsteel

Re: Auxillary motor steering system - 09/11/03 11:29 AM

That's not a bad idea periwinkle. It would be even better if it was raining. It kind of defeats the purpose of having the AK blkhd when one person has to sit out in the rain and steer the kicker.
Oh well, I'm sure it would backfire. I can hear her now. "your the one that wanted this boat, you steer it!'
The search continues for a steering system. I'm still drooling over the TR-1 gold.

Re: Auxillary motor steering system - 09/11/03 11:38 AM

Periwinkle, the TR-1 comes as a basic system with all the bells and whistles built in. If you don't want to use GPS just don't interface and it's not there. I have used their system since they first came out about six years ago. I don't use the GPS feature but live with the remote steering and throttle. The biggest problem I've had with them is reminding myself to pay attention to boats in front of me. They have really improved the system from when they first came out. You buy one and you will never regret it.
Posted by: Slab Quest

Re: Auxillary motor steering system - 09/11/03 12:31 PM

TR1 will soon offer a wireless remote for steering and throttle. I got WAY more interested when I heard that.

I have heard that if a group gets together to purchase, they offer a discount and also send someone up from Orygun to do all the installs.

I think that instead of a $2.5K trip to the Queen Charlottes next year, I'm going to try & get in on the group deal for the SeaSport.
Posted by: fishin' sparky

Re: Auxillary motor steering system - 09/11/03 07:20 PM

I have the Goetz Trol - Eze series II on my trophy hardtop. It has a 20' cord and is electric/hydraulic. You can raise and lower your kicker out of the water. It has throttle control, remote kill and of course steering. I did a search and came up with this site that shows a picture of it, www.dmi.net/goetz/ . I love it and would recommend it to anyone. Not sure of the price since I bought my boat with it already installed.

Re: Auxillary motor steering system - 09/12/03 01:45 AM

Wow -- hey thanks F Sparky. Sir Lancelot to the rescue (maybe).....

Well, today I phoned Nautamatic,, then went to a dealer locally,,, gulp gulp TR 1 $2,200.74!!

Slab Quest, how many people make up a 'group' and what price break do they get?? Could us Trophy guys get a Sea Sport decal for our boats and join up?

The search goes on.....

Re: Auxillary motor steering system - 09/12/03 11:50 AM

Peri,

The guy w/ moniker Petef1 works at TR1 and posts here sometimes.

I will check w/ my buddy, JR, who was telling me about the group deal. Maybe we could score a good off season deal?

Yeah, it's a lot of hay - about the same as a big fly-in fishing trip (you got to RATIONALIZE, man). I think it's even more w/ the wireless remote & installation....

Re: Auxillary motor steering system - 09/13/03 01:56 PM

I contacted Goetz (Trol-Eze) yesterday in Idaho. Apparently they are popular around the USA , but off the "top of his head" he couldn't think of any specific dealers in W. Washington other than Arima.. but said there are some, just couldn't think of them. He said lots of marinas carry them but won't sell over the counter because they want to do the installation. Shop foreman, John, is sending literature, and said people can deal directly with him, sidestepping dealers. PRICE $650 + or - and u do installation... smile
Posted by: petef1

Re: Auxillary motor steering system - 09/22/03 03:54 PM

Hello there all, and thanks for the comments about my product/TR-1. I will not knock any other system out there, though I take all other steering devises off on a regular basis and install ours. We are the only company on the planet that has a true autopilot for kicker motors, therfore you just point your boat and fish, you dont have to steer back and fourth, just focus on fishing and where you are going. I will make Piscatorial members deals, The wireless remote will be an option for any Gold customer out there, it's a plug in item and will cost more, though you dont have to have it. It will be the size of your car door remote, it will include steering and throttle control only. This is the only way to go, trust me.

Thanks again,

Pete/TR-1 Autopilots 1-800-588-7655
Cell#503-329-5117

Re: Auxillary motor steering system - 09/22/03 10:55 PM

I agree 100% Pete. I just went out with my buddy in his boat last week that has the Goetz system and I felt like we were steering in a whirlpool. There was a 10 to 15 kt breeze and that boat wouldn't stay on course for nothing. I was constantly hitting the port or starboard button. You couldn't pay me to own one.

Re: Auxillary motor steering system - 09/23/03 12:53 AM

Solidsteel
Finaddict Ron
Slabquest

So what do you guys think??

I'm calling Pete tomorrow -- steering and throtle is just what I want. However, I was poking around Edmonds marina yesterday and ran across a system called 'Remote - Troll' made in Utah. Push button steering only, comes with a motor bracket ($550-$600)..
I need to find the boat owner and check on his satisfaction......

Hang in there we'll be remote soon ------- wink

Re: Auxillary motor steering system - 09/23/03 12:54 AM

Solidsteel
Finaddict Ron
Slabquest

So what do you guys think??

I'm calling Pete tomorrow -- steering and throtle is just what I want. However, I was poking around Edmonds marina yesterday and ran across a system called 'Remote - Troll' made in Utah. Push button steering only, comes with a motor bracket ($550-$600)..
I need to find the boat owner and check on his satisfaction......

Hang in there we'll be remote soon ------- wink
Posted by: markshoreline

Re: Auxillary motor steering system - 09/23/03 01:07 AM

I've tried a couple of different methods for powering and steering a heavy boat with a kicker motor. I've learned that the small motor has a tough time torqueing the boat through a turn into the wind or current, unless the large motor turns WITH the small motor. SO, I now have a system that turns both motors together when the troller is running. Mark
Posted by: B-RUN STEELY

Re: Auxillary motor steering system - 09/23/03 09:38 AM

I had an EZ TROLL on my Northwest jet. It was crap. A clicker control that moved the kicker back and forth. Always had to have the thing in your hand and hard to keep the boat straight. Then I had a arm installed on top of the pump. This arm has a quick release that goes to the kicker. You steer it with the wheel. This works outstanding, and did not cost very much. Under a hundred bucks. When your ready just un-hook the arm, lift the kicker and your gone. Same set up will work with an I/O I am told.

Re: Auxillary motor steering system - 09/23/03 12:48 PM

B-Run,
The problem some of us have is that our boats have swim steps w/ the auxillary motor mounted at the back. This prevents using an EZ-Troll. Removing part of the swim step is an option. 'But' the Trophy's transom doesn't have much 'meat' above the swim step heighth for attaching a swing up mount to use w/ EZ.
You learn these things AFTER you buy a boat!! frown

Thanks to all for responding to this thread.
smile

Re: Auxillary motor steering system - 09/23/03 01:04 PM

Peri,
I have pretty much decide on the TR1 w/ wireless remote. I just need to call Pete and get in on one of the times that the factory installers are in town.
Posted by: ROCK

Re: Auxillary motor steering system - 09/23/03 01:27 PM

Peri,It's the $$$, don't work frown so have to buget.Will get a TR-1 though it would be nice on the Trophy. thumbs
Posted by: fishin' sparky

Re: Auxillary motor steering system - 09/23/03 09:31 PM

You can't compare the TR-1 to any manual steering method. Hands down if money was no object i'm sure that most of us would have the TR-1.
Now if you want to compare the trol-eze to a tiller, IMO your better off with the trol-eze. When i first started using it I had to get used to the controls. This took a few hours of use. In higher winds I ended up trolling with the main engine since the wind blew my boat around. This would have happened with or without the trol-eze.
Anything that is connected to the i/o doesn't work to well with an alaskan bulkhead, wife and kids. When a rod goes off and you have to run from the helm to get it dodging things in your way, anything remote is the way to go.

Periwinkle, if you want to check out the install on my trophy, I live in sultan. Send me an e-mail and we'll hook up. If you would like to decide for yourself, i'll be on the water this weekend (launch in everett) your welcome to come and try it for yourself.
I'm not a salesman, just trying to help a guy out. By the way, Fishbelly2 if you read this, Doing anything saturday morning?
Posted by: markshoreline

Re: Auxillary motor steering system - 09/23/03 10:36 PM

If you got the dough, go for the TR-1. However, the rig I use was less than $30.00 and works great! Mark
Posted by: grandpa2

Re: Auxillary motor steering system - 09/23/03 10:38 PM

I saw the TR-1 operate on a SeaSport in the Columbia River on autopilot connected to the GPS...very impressive how the hydraulics whizzed back and forth to keep the boat from swinging side to side in the current. All the wires bugged me though as we were tripping on them. The thing that concerned me was all the parts and the fairly complicated mechanism working overtime in the salt water...Just seems like a very expensive and possibly delicate device that may be prone to premature failure. No evidence of that but just a worry. It does bug me that all the SeaSport guys have these kickers and no outside steering and controls as it is available from SeaSport....climbing inside the cabin to steer and read the depth finder is a pain in the ass. Too bad you have to spend $3000 for a wireless remote. Does the new TR-1 tilt the motor? if not that is also a drawback. I saw one such device at the boat show that someone was demonstrating...it tilted the kicker and steered it all from a wireless remote..I was impressed but not in the market so I didn't see what brand it was. All I know is it did it all.

Side note....watching people trolling with a kicker while sitting on the stern holding onto the tiller gives me chicken skin. Soooo unnecessary these days. At the very minimum an EZ Steer eliminates having to sit out there. The TR-1 has the ability to fine tune trolling speed whereas the cable throttle isn't very easy to finesse.

Slab...If you spend your life savings on the
TR-1 you won't be able to go fishing...

Re: Auxillary motor steering system - 09/24/03 01:11 PM

You were most likely looking at a early vintage TR-1. The Tr-1 Gold autopilot Only has 4 wires, 3 are barried in the back of the transum area. The only exposed wire is connected to the remote, as with all other steering systems. I mentioned there will be a wireless remote available soon! Oh also Our Electronic's are encapsilated in a potting compound(waterproof) Im happy to awnser any questions about our autopilots any of you may have.

Keep on Trollin!

Pete/TR-1

Re: Auxillary motor steering system - 09/24/03 01:24 PM

Grandpa I have a Seasport with the outside steering and controls but that does you no good when you have to tend to a pole and there's no one to steer. The whole concept of the TR-1 is "an autopilot that steers for you and holds course". I have had one since they were first released and fish exclusively in salt water. Have never had a problem with anything corroding and ceasing to work. Of course it's like anything else in salt water, if you never grease it or take care of it then eventually everything will stop working. I'll admit they're expensive but it's more than paid for itself in more time spent fishing and less time fighting to steer the boat while working rods at the same time.
Posted by: grandpa2

Re: Auxillary motor steering system - 09/24/03 08:17 PM

good clarification Hog...and Pete....Hey Pete.maybe you should come to a PSA meeting and show off your product to the members...

I like the autopilot too but that does not mean no one has to steer....I do alot of steering when people on board are fighting fish...Sounds like a great product...Now if it just tilted the kicker too OOOO Baby!

Re: Auxillary motor steering system - 09/25/03 12:19 AM

Hey guys, if you've ever had an interest in a TR1 auto pilot system -- give Pete a call (1-800-588-7655).. I talked with him yesterday about the P.P. discount and price etc.., and his offer was 500 clams less than I had previously found...... Plus you won't have to pay WA 8.7 sales tax (saving another $147).... WOW go for it now..... Granpa,,,,,good invite...

Thanks everybody for your contributions...

Sparky, that was a very generous offer...... I'd still like to see your Trophy set up, will contact.
However , my kids are grown and gone, my wife (of 43 yr) sits the helm seat -- calling out "boat on left turn right" --- I tried her at the tiller except we kept going in circles laugh

Re: Auxillary motor steering system - 09/25/03 12:28 PM

Good Morning,

I would not mind comming to a PSA meeting to help you all understand the TR-1 Autopilot, When I started here over four years ago. I was told by TR-1 that they could hold headding using a Kicker on a sled even in wind, waves, and current. My first thoughts were ya right!. Whether I work here or not I will never own a boat without one. I fish with friends that dont have one yet, and I wont steer the kicker using the Tiller, I now get to Frustrated. Whatever I need to to to prove it, you got it.

Thanks Pete/TR-1

Re: Auxillary motor steering system - 09/25/03 12:57 PM

OK, Peri,

I just talked to Pete. You & I are "on the list" for the next road trip. His pricing (with the PP discount) was pretty attractive. I'll just get the basic system for now and the wireless unit when it comes out in a few months.

We just need 3 more customers to get an addn $100 off installation. Anyone interested?

I also invited him to our PSA meeting October 8th.
Posted by: wooldridge

Re: Auxillary motor steering system - 09/25/03 03:48 PM

I have a panther steering system I took off my 21' Thunder Jet, It is less that 1 year old and I will sell if for like 200.00. I paid a lot more when I bought it with the boat! But I think they sell for 300.00 new??? The reason I took it off was that I bouth the TR-1. It worked fine but the TR-1 is Awesome. But if the TR-1 is out of a person's price range, then this one or one of the others is still nice to have. If anyone is interested shoot me an e-mail (jeff@thesuperhwy.com). I will not be checking it for a few days though since I am heading out to Westport for Claming and Fishing!!!

Re: Auxillary motor steering system - 09/25/03 04:06 PM

I am considering attending the PSA meeting October 8th, Is there any others that would like me to show up, talk about the TR-1 Autopilot, and setup demo rides. If I end up installing several autopilots, I may be in the area for several days. Any feedback from members would be great!

Pete/Tr-1

Re: Auxillary motor steering system - 09/25/03 04:22 PM

Pete,

ooops, I gave you the wrong date for the PSA meeting.

It is Tuesday, October 14th. Edmonds Yacht Club, 6:30PM (1830)

Hope to see you there.