busted loomis 1082s imx

Posted by: Loomis

busted loomis 1082s imx - 09/14/03 09:43 PM

while playing a silver today my rod exploded right below the slip joint ,anyone else had this happen.Very disapointing for the money not to mention it was with in 20 mins of getting started.Well off to three rivers to see what they have to say about this minor mishap.
Posted by: Vic

Re: busted loomis 1082s imx - 09/14/03 09:55 PM

That is the price you pay for using the most sensative graphite rod available. They have more feel than just about any other rod, but they are fragile.

I have broken a few in my time and had good service on my warranty claims. Be sure and take it back to one of the larger Loomis Pro shops to be sent in.

Good Luck
Posted by: Dave Vedder

Re: busted loomis 1082s imx - 09/14/03 10:42 PM

I'm with Vic. The Loomis rods are great, but they break too easy. Life is a trade off. I prefer a bit less sensetive rod that's a bit tougher.
Posted by: SteelieSlammer

Re: busted loomis 1082s imx - 09/15/03 11:04 AM

This weekend while fishing the sandy river in oregon i had a Lamiglass explode on a hook set. It split length wise about 1-2 feet up the from the connection point. Still got the fish but it wasn't much of a fight and there was no way I was going to let this one get away.

By the way I heard that Lamiglas only has the lifetime warrenty on the certified pro rods. Is this true? My rod was a Norewest Special.
Posted by: milkBottleMikey

Re: busted loomis 1082s imx - 09/15/03 11:20 PM

Buddy of mine busted his at Blue Creek last weekend (on a fish) or so he says. I was with him in his Duckworth at the time. Shattered in four piesces, one of which stuck in his hook setting wrist. He was not happy. He didn't put too much stress on it- I'd expect more for $300. Took it back to TumH20 Sports and new one will be back in time for next years Summer Runs.

Aside, flashing 'em at night was good to him there last week. I went back down there sunday night last week and picked up two nice ones on foot. Not a bad nights work considering my flashlight broke soon as I got down to the water . Had to thread my line by the dim light of flashed corkies. Tennis shoes don't work well on wet clay banks neither. But fun was had.

Thursday last the lower Hoh was slow even though the water color was prime. Little effect on the level with the little rain there was. Some Kings above I heard.
Posted by: siletzangler

Re: busted loomis 1082s imx - 09/16/03 12:33 AM

I have seen three Loomis rods explode in my fathers hands in as many years. I have also destroyed 2 rods in the last two years and have nothing to show for it other than extra eyes and rod tips while my father makes the drive to the loomis plant and picks up a new one free of charge. And yes as others have said they are wonderful to fish with, especialy drifting for winter fish. My rods were low end Lamiglass by the way. I'm making the switch as soon as I can come up with the finances.

Re: busted loomis 1082s imx - 09/16/03 01:28 AM

well I stopped at three rivers and disscused my options with them,They told me for 55 dollars they would give me a new rod no Q's asked or they would send it back and let loomis decide what they want to do with it.sucks to be with out for two to four weeks all my other rods feel like im fishing with a tree limb.
Posted by: egg goober

Re: busted loomis 1082s imx - 09/16/03 10:38 AM

for the price of a loomis rod you can buy two rainshadow rods. i just love them. they are by all means the best rod for the money. and have great cust. service also. i've sold all of my loomis and lamiglas and replaced them with rainshadow and it was the greatest investment i've made in a long time. thumbs
Posted by: puppylove

Re: busted loomis 1082s imx - 09/16/03 11:17 AM

You're certainly not the first one. I say boycott loomis as their junk is way too overpriced. If it's sensitivity you're looking for, just go to the 6-10lb lamiglas, for 1/3 the money and 10x the strength and longevity. Hell, I make my own rods with and unnamed local blank manufacturer for 1/8th the cost of g-loomis, and they're so sensitive that I can feel the bite down my arm, chest and into my pecker.

Scrape the gloomis stickers off the rear windows of your trucks, quit spending your entire paychecks on loomis rods and maybe we'll see the rods drop down to an equilibrium price we all can afford. A loomis is is like a Hummer-2. A Hummer shell on a Silverado chassis.
Posted by: bank walker

Re: busted loomis 1082s imx - 09/16/03 08:52 PM

Loomis- i have the same 1082 IMX you have. Mine broke last summer just below the midsection. I sent the rod right to the factory in Woodland and had a new one in a week and a half. I paid 20$ for shipping.

There are many rods out there that are similar to Loomis that perform equally, BUT alot of those bargian rods have weak components(guides, etc)...

You get what you pay for...If you fish 4+ times a week and need something that can keep up with you and the fish you hook buy a Loomis, if your a weekend warrior there are lots of bargain rods out there
Posted by: Curt

Re: busted loomis 1082s imx - 09/17/03 12:11 AM

loomis-bring the rod to me at auburn sports and marine and i'll give you one right off the shelf for $50 ,or i,ll send it in under warranty for $12 and it will only take a week to ten days. laugh

G.loomis the best in the industry,you get what you pay for.

FISH ON!!!

Re: busted loomis 1082s imx - 09/17/03 12:53 AM

ha curt like I said in earlier post,three rivers made me the same offer,in fact they picked up the shipping,but what is with the fifty bucks I already forked out 365.00 for the rod is it that u didn't make enough off the origanl sale and u feel that another fifty would help I would think that a phone call by the dealer( three rivers marine,auburn sports etc) to the loomis factory and they could settle this over the phone and get the customer taken care of right then and there.
Posted by: egg goober

Re: busted loomis 1082s imx - 09/17/03 12:22 PM

bank walker,
i fish 4+ days a week and i fish rainshadow's each trip, and catch limits. no problems at all! you get what you pay for! i'm not degrading loomis, i've just found a better product.
Posted by: bank walker

Re: busted loomis 1082s imx - 09/17/03 08:36 PM

Goober, You fish 4+ times a week and limit everytime?? Whats the limit, 2 steel? 4salmon? Thats puts you in the 8-24 fish weeks(4days)...Not to much different than some weekend warriors. eek

Seriously, im not degrading the fact that your Rainshadow cant hold up...Time, fish, and snags will tell... Loomis has proven almost bulletproof from what i have used and from some of the fish junkies that i know that catch insane numbers of steelhead/salmon...

I guess i am just biased... its like chevy(loomis) v.s Ford(lami) and then there's Dodge and Toyota(allstar/rainshadow) blah blah blah...everyone has there own preference
Posted by: willametteriveroutlaw

Re: busted loomis 1082s imx - 09/18/03 01:55 AM

Loomis (ford) with Rogue (chevy) but lamis are hundais.. All of the talk about how great lamis are, and imho they are solid $hit (except the cert pro line and esprit series) Grab a g1000 series and a berkley buzz ramsey and tel me which one you find more sensitive.
Posted by: Chrome454

Re: busted loomis 1082s imx - 09/18/03 05:39 PM

Loomis = great rods but a rip off!
Rainshadow=excellent rods and alot of beer money to boot! laugh
Chrome
Posted by: cast and blast

Re: busted loomis 1082s imx - 09/18/03 08:08 PM

Where can I get info on rainshadow rods? I keep hearing great things about them and may need to pick one up.

Re: busted loomis 1082s imx - 09/18/03 11:19 PM

loomis-the fifty bucks has nothing to do with the origanal $365.00,the fifty bucks has to do with the conveniance of you getting the rod right away,and me being out a rod i can't sell,that expidite program wasn't set up by(auburn sports,three rivers)it was set by loomis so you don't have to be without a rod,now the $12 is because it costs us that much to ship the rod the next day so you can have it back in a week to ten days.

FISH ON!!!

Re: busted loomis 1082s imx - 09/18/03 11:45 PM

curt,not lookin for a pissin match here just tryin to figure out why it is the way it is.why the fifty bucks, so your out a rod for a few days.happy customers are repeat customers and when there is a problem with a product and its taken care of fast that is what keeps people coming back.this is defintly not the last rod I will buy but it may be the last loomis.If this is the factory policy to stick it to the customer the dealer should step in and fix the problem(replace rod and deal with factory).when it all comes down to it if u cant fix this problem why should I come back to your store.

Re: busted loomis 1082s imx - 09/19/03 12:11 AM

loomis in no way was i tryin to get in a pissin match with you,as alot of people on here can tell you it was the policy of auburn sports to trade people straight accross for broken rods for along time,there where just a few bad apples in the bunch that ruined it for the rest,loomis told us we couldn't trade straight across anymore and there the ones that made the fifty dollor deal,they make the rules we just follow them,sorry if i came accrost badly earlier no harm meant.

FISH ON!!!
Posted by: Iron Head

Re: busted loomis 1082s imx - 09/19/03 12:15 AM

Sorry guys, but I have to say that the majority of the broken rods are caused by fisherman.
The only rod I had broken was a Sage that had clashed with another rod the previous year. It took a whole year before for the microscopic crack to expand into a total breakage.
Posted by: FishinSinsation

Re: busted loomis 1082s imx - 09/19/03 01:16 AM

i liked the over the counter trade ASM had but i'll live with the new policy how often does anyone break rods? i broke my 1143 once and it wasnt even a true break.. all i did was snap the ceramic out of the top eye no big deal,.... have yet to "snap" any kind of rod and personally if you do its not the rods fault but the users fault ive seen many people reefing back on rods hand placement way above the cork pulling back as hard as they can.. thats why rods break.................................

Re: busted loomis 1082s imx - 09/19/03 01:38 AM

FS,Im glad you where standing next to me when this rod broke Im glad that you witnessed the abuse that I put the rod thru I hope u keep up the good work and I am sure everyone else that that should have a rod break will be glad that you where there to tell them that they did wrong.do not atempt to tell me that this was do to abuse if you where their then you would be able to speak until then keep the comments to your self.

Re: busted loomis 1082s imx - 09/19/03 01:45 AM

eek eek eek chill out dude...

laugh thumbs

Re: busted loomis 1082s imx - 09/19/03 01:50 AM

I am simply stating what I have witnessed while fishing, and I can tell you this also I was fishing next to a guy on the Puyallup he was hung up on a rock he was reefing and pulling so hard on his rod I was shocked it hadn't broke

Guess who I saw at sportco the very next day

He was complaining to the man behind the counter about how a 4lb humpy broke his rod…and how lamiglas doesn't make quality rods anymore..

Ive seen LOTS of people break rods on snags and not a single rod break on fish….

Hmm
Posted by: FishDoctor

Re: busted loomis 1082s imx - 09/19/03 02:22 AM

Loomis gl3 1024,
I broke the 1st up on the Kasiloff on a king, (too much stress , my fault.) rolleyes
I broke the 2nd after dragging a anchor over it on the bank, the next trip it broke on the first snag. mad I got another and lost it to big wild steelhead after it ripped the rod out of my hand. New name for that hole, "the gl3 hole"> eek
got lucky and I havn't broken or lost the one I have now, still doing well. smile
whats my point?
I have had excellent service from g.loomis.
I love their rods, great sensitivity and that equalls better trips.
Bought a 2nd, so the kid doesnt feel left out.
gl3+calcutta+ River=Happy FishDoctor laugh
Posted by: Chrome454

Re: busted loomis 1082s imx - 09/19/03 11:46 AM

Cast and Blast try- www.THcustom rods.com
Th builds a sweet rod, better than any factory loomis out there. I don't give a crap how sensitive IMX loomis rods are at 350+ there a damn rip off! Try a rainshadow with sicti guides and I swear you wont find a better rod for the money period!!! thumbs
Chrome
Posted by: rwgav8

Re: busted loomis 1082s imx - 10/02/03 03:54 AM

Loomis are excelent rods but yes they are very spendy. Ill let all you guys in on a little secret...dont pay full price, check ebay. so what if the rod is used, if it gets broke, you have a brand new rod for about $100 less than new. I have broken my fair share of loomis and lami rods, some my fault, some not. I had my 1141IMX explode on me, never seen that hapen before. Pre-existing stress fracture, who knows but I returned it to loomis and had my replacement back, ready for the winter steelies, in about a week. I have yet to have a problem with loomis's return policy. But i guess in the end its all preference and personal finance that will cause you to make the decision on what rod manufacturer you choose, and use.
Posted by: The Moderator

Re: busted loomis 1082s imx - 10/02/03 11:42 AM

Loomis,

Just send the rod back to GLoomis. They will replace it for free. You'll just have to pay the $8 for shipping.

Check out this photo. This 1025 IMX snapped in about the same spot as yours. All I had to do was drop off the butt section to GLoomis and they replaced it for free. This 30lb tule snapped my rod on the hookset.

This is a "feature" of IMX rods. The price of a high performance graphite rod is the brittleness.

So far this season, we (the buddies I've fished with) have snapped 3 IMX 1141's, 1 GLX 1141, and 1 IMX 1025. IMX's break. It's a feature. Fortunately, GLoomis will replace all of them for free. Don't pay that stupid $55 fee. Just deal with GLoomis directly and you'll be fine.
Posted by: Salmo g.

Re: busted loomis 1082s imx - 10/02/03 12:11 PM

Fishinsinsation,

I disagree with your contention that graphite rods only break if abused by anglers. Graphite fiber is very strong but also very brittle. It's fairly common for graphite rod blanks to have a weak spot where the number of layers of graphite fabric change on the mandrel. I've broken two flyrods at such spots, all with my hand only on the cork handle. Blanks can have defects that are not visibly detectable. I suppose that's why high end rods have the replacement policies they do; otherwise few would buy rods with such high potential for breakage.

Whether various rods are worth the money or not is a value judgement of each angler. It's silly for one person to declare a particular brand of rod as the best value, you get what you pay for, etc. It's only true for the speaker. It may, or may not, be true for me.

Sincerely,

Salmo g.
Posted by: Iron Head

Re: busted loomis 1082s imx - 10/02/03 08:42 PM

A question for the experts on rod material.
Why is it that the blank performance ratings/specifications are a bit higher than the identical pre-built rods?
Posted by: glowball

Re: busted loomis 1082s imx - 10/03/03 07:40 PM

You can have them junk loomis rods. They used to be good but they sold out and aren't worth a darn anymore. St croix or rainshadow. Anything else is flushing money down the toilet. Once you've had an inside look at what these rods are really all about you will change your minds too.
Posted by: silverslayer

Re: busted loomis 1082s imx - 10/05/03 03:15 PM

I have neverbroke a rod till this year it happened to be what i consider the best rod for the money ww Grigg. Took to sportco on monday had the replacement on thursday all i payed was the shipping $10.00
Posted by: Paranoid

Re: busted loomis 1082s imx - 10/05/03 03:36 PM

I have a question. Why are you fishing for silvers with a 1082 anyway. That is a light rated rod for summer fish in low water, not for coho in the fall. I am not surprised that it broke. I have broken two 1084c IMX rods because hooked into early chinook while late summer run fishing. Entirely my fault that the rods failed. The right tool for the right job. Right?
Posted by: fishforlife

Re: busted loomis 1082s imx - 10/05/03 09:17 PM

ya just busted my loomis today 1024 i will never buy there junk any more thats two in one year so i guess i will look at lamiglass ? any help out there with a good steelhead rod
Posted by: Sparkey

Re: busted loomis 1082s imx - 10/05/03 09:54 PM

The ironic thing is that I am notorius for breaking rods yet its been years since I've broken a Loomis while fishing (aside from falling on them.) and in that time period, my go to rod has been my 1025 IMX that I have put through Hell and back!

In that same time period, I have broken a few Spey rods (Winston, CND, Scott) and just the other day, my 596 XP bit the dust...

...but my 1025 IMX keeps going strong!

You can not convince me that there is a lighter, more sensative rod on the market (aside from some of the latest GIII blanks from Sage). Yes, some may say Loomis' quiality took a small step down after Shimano bought them out but they are still far and above, the most well made rod there.

Re: busted loomis 1082s imx - 10/06/03 02:38 PM

Gotta' laugh. Since my post last week, I've got to add another busted graphite to my repertoire. Casting for silvers on the Chehalis last Friday when my spinner hung up. Just a little lift and - POWW - nothing like the sound of shattering graphite exploding in the air! Funny thing, I've pulled much harder than that on snags in the past with no ill effect. By coincidence, that was an old, closeout Loomis blank of unknown pedigree.

Mini fishing report: never have I seen so many silvers that didn't want what I had to offer. Salmo: 0 Sidekick: 1, that he graciously shared with me. Ocean bright and great on the BBQ!
Posted by: jeff'e'd

Re: busted loomis 1082s imx - 10/06/03 02:59 PM

Is there a way to make one of these broken one piece rods a repaired/usable two-piece?

Re: busted loomis 1082s imx - 10/06/03 03:05 PM

Jeff'e'd,

Sometimes. I've got a small supply of broken sections of graphite rod blanks. Sometimes it's possible to make a ferrle connection and salvage a rod, making it suitable for back-up use. The one I broke Friday took out a 10 or 11 inch section, however. I'll probably salvage the reel seat.

Sincerely,

Salmo g.
Posted by: Lunch Time

Re: busted loomis 1082s imx - 10/06/03 05:43 PM

I broke my Loomis Premier 4wt. this summer (on a fish). The people at loomis said there was nothing they could do for me since the rod was discontinued. I assured the person on the phone that was reason enough not to buy a loomis again. Life time warranties speak for themselves.
Posted by: Divers

Re: busted loomis 1082s imx - 10/06/03 07:21 PM

Sparkey, Which model does Sage use for the GIII blanks?

Is it for Spinning or baitcasting? or the fly rods.

I love the XP896, (my favorite) so I was planning on having a spining rod made with this blank . You think the GIII would be better?
Posted by: Dan S.

Re: busted loomis 1082s imx - 10/06/03 07:39 PM

Quote:
have yet to "snap" any kind of rod and personally if you do its not the rods fault but the users fault
Ohhhhhhh, FS. Tsk, tsk.

Re: busted loomis 1082s imx - 10/06/03 07:57 PM

Divers:

Sage doesn't make any assembled rods. You can buy GIII blanks and assemble them to your liking. As far as I know they make a GIII 286 (8'6" rated 6-10 lbs) a 386 (8'6" rated about 8-17?) and a 9' version rated about the same (290, and 390). I'm not sure if they have added any other models yet.

Fished my GIII 286 for the first time yesterday.
What an awesome stick!!!

Re: busted loomis 1082s imx - 10/06/03 09:49 PM

Vic, Where?
Does any one have them pre assembled?
If not I will buy the blanks from sage and have it built.

Only ones I see are the 7' ones in the catalog or the older models like the one I have.

I have a Sage B390sh Bait caster, a little to heavy, good for kings.

Re: busted loomis 1082s imx - 10/06/03 10:32 PM

I haven't seen any already preassembled.
I know for sure that Gregs Custom Rods in Lake Stevens has the blanks in stock. He can spin them up any way you want.

Re: busted loomis 1082s imx - 10/07/03 12:42 AM

Thank you vic, will shoot over there this weekend.