Herring size??

Posted by: Birdnest

Herring size?? - 11/24/03 07:55 PM

I need some advice on herring size selection. What is the best system for determing what size herring I should be fishing for the various times of the year? I fish in the San Juan's mainly.

Thanks,

Joe
Posted by: HBP

Re: Herring size?? - 11/24/03 08:06 PM

In the winter I fish smaller baits, something around 4 1/2". In the summer I fish bigger baits, around 6- 6 1/2". If you can,try to find live Herring. That will give you a good idea as to the size to fish. In the summer time the bait will be bigger than in the winter.

If you catch a fish,take a look in its belly,that will also give you an idea to the size of the bait. Blackmouth are little pigs and should have some bait in their belly.
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: Herring size?? - 11/24/03 08:21 PM

I dont usually worry to much about matching the hatch... so to speek.

I worry more about the spin of the bait. 4-5" herring that is fresh and firm spins best....

nice and tight with no tail flop!

Hmmm wink
Posted by: Birdnest

Re: Herring size?? - 11/24/03 08:22 PM

Thanks for the replies.

I have considered trying to jig fresh herring, but I don't know if this is easier said than done. I have seen the "herring rigs" and would imagine it would just involve a guy locating bait and staying with it for a while.

Joe
Posted by: Sullie

Re: Herring size?? - 11/24/03 09:45 PM

best way to find out herring size is to find out how big they are running were u are fishing. I usually use green label for chinook and green label for coho but cut-plug it shorter.
Posted by: seastrike

Re: Herring size?? - 11/24/03 09:54 PM

Joe
Jigging herring is easy. If you find a bait ball just put down the herring jigs and fill the live well. I tried it for the first time this fall and we jigged up two dozen in about five minutes.
Dave
Posted by: Downriggin

Re: Herring size?? - 11/24/03 10:43 PM

Herring ???? What's that ???

On average, 3-4 inches year around (due to natural mortality). This time of year, you'll some some slightly bigger herring (5") as they prepare to spawn Jan-Apr..