Hatchery Q

Posted by: BratBonker

Hatchery Q - 12/07/03 09:34 PM

I was fishing infront of a hatchery today and noticed that the gate leading upto the rearing ponds was closed, why would they do that when the river has tons of fish in it and want to go up into the ponds? Thanks Fisherman8989 what
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: Hatchery Q - 12/07/03 09:40 PM

They are probably not mature enough to be spawned yet and would only take up space in the hatchery. plus it also offers more oportunity to be caught by the sportsman.
Posted by: stlhdfishn

Re: Hatchery Q - 12/07/03 10:32 PM

fisherman8989, next time you are around one of the hatchery's look for one of the workers they are usually more than willing to answer questions you might have, also some of the hatchery's have a room with brochures and other materials that I have found to be interesting reading. laugh
Posted by: seaweedsam

Re: Hatchery Q - 12/07/03 10:34 PM

I don't know where you were ,but if it was Reitor they don't trap winter runs ,unless the Snoqualmie hatchery dosen't get enough winter fish for both hatcheries. the fish in the trap at Reitor are summers waiting to be spawned in Jan. - Feb. The ponds have smolts in them slated to be released next year.
Posted by: micropterus101

Re: Hatchery Q - 12/08/03 04:24 AM

I dont know if they still do this but I know at hoodsport they kept it closed even after the qouta was met because the home owners upstream complained of the smell!
Posted by: Fishingjunky15-2

Re: Hatchery Q - 12/08/03 04:22 PM

If the hatchery already has reached it's quota, then they will often block off the ponds and let the remaining fish spawn naturally. At least they do this at Voights Creek Hatchery for the late coho.