The best way to target jumping steelhead?

Posted by: JacobF

The best way to target jumping steelhead? - 12/29/03 09:52 PM

The other day, I was fishing a section of river and there was at least two steelhead that would jump aprox every 5 - 10 minutes. I through jigs and corkie/yarn at them while my buddy tried bait first then switched to spinners. We never did get them to bite. I've been told that unlike salmon, a jumping steelhead will usually be more aggressive and take a lure/bait. Any info would be appreciated.
Posted by: Jaydee

Re: The best way to target jumping steelhead? - 12/29/03 10:14 PM

I woulda said a spinner, or something they could chase.
Posted by: ParaLeaks

Re: The best way to target jumping steelhead? - 12/29/03 10:20 PM

I have a couple of questions....were these fish bright? And were they coming completely out of the water or just porpoising? I'm assuming there was no obvious reason to explain why they were jumping.

I've seen steelhead thrash the water when they are actively moving upriver, in which case they can be finicky (often times more intent on moving than establishing territory is how I read it).
I also have seen numerous steelhead jump repeatedly trying to shake a broken off rig that they hammered. In which case I have had no luck getting them interested in anything.
This sounds to me like just another steelhead puzzle. (The only thing you can say for sure about steelhead is that you can't say anything for sure.) confused confused beer
Posted by: Blu13

Re: The best way to target jumping steelhead? - 12/30/03 03:06 AM

Sounds like they weren't in a biteing mood. Over the years I have hooked at least 6 Steelhead that I saw roll (pretty much the majority I've seen). The last one (last spring)was a Native I saw roll a few yards below me. 1st cast with a float/jig he took it down.

Also whoever told you a rolling Salmon won't strike gave you wrong information. I bank fish rivers around Forks for salmon and I "hunt" them. One of the main things I look for when I walk into a hole are fish rolling. I've found that some of the main factors are water color and how long the fish have been in the river. Also moving fish will hit a spinner/spoon. Not all the time but I would say at least 50% of the time. Especially if the river is dropping. My last trip this fall I hooked 1 King and 2 Coho(all fresh fish with Lice). I saw fish rolling when I hooked all 3. I believe the King and 2nd Coho were moving. The 1st Coho was holding along with a bunch of others. When we walked into the hole we saw fish rolling at the head of the hole and the tail. We ended up taking 2 (nephew got 1 also) Chromers with Sealice. Out of this particular spot I have taken at least 6 Coho after I have seen them role. On the other hand, that Sunday afternoon I saw at least 20 fish roll/porpose that were moving on a riseing river and I didn't see anyone hook a thing. The big question is "if I saw say 20 fish over a 3 hour period roll/porpose that were on the move, how many were under them moving with them? Good Luck!
Posted by: JTD

Re: The best way to target jumping steelhead? - 12/30/03 11:09 AM

How about a shotgun and a net? :p
Posted by: caught steelin

Re: The best way to target jumping steelhead? - 12/30/03 11:59 AM

i had that happen yesterday and threw a shrimp at the hole and WHAMMMO! and then did it again later. i guess you have to hit the right spot.
Posted by: Salmo g.

Re: The best way to target jumping steelhead? - 12/31/03 12:36 AM

Steelhead aren't nearly as fast as mallards. I target jumping steelhead by leading them by a foot and a half. That's dead on most of the time.

t.i.c.

Salmo g.